Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

FS Friday August 3rd

August 3 2012 at 3:34 AM

sheila  (Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

Today is probably a grocery day for me, again. We nned some variety with the meats... we have pork and we have chicken thighs but we have been eating a lot of those. Need to look at the sales fliers and see what else is good. Kids to camp- last day for this really early one... waking DD up at 6:50 in the morning is not going well.... pay bills too.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mj
(Login mom24dgs)
The Frugalista Files

Errands-pay my debt at library

August 3 2012, 5:34 AM 

I owe late fine for my library book so got to go pay that today.
With online access I haven't had that problem in awhile...

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

Slept in my own bed last night

August 3 2012, 6:22 AM 

spent some 'quality time' with my husband and DD# 1 should be coming over at 7:30 am to go for a walk and watch some Downton Abbey with me.

Respond to this message   

2catsmom
(Login 2catsmom)
The Frugalista Files

I have a great dh

August 3 2012, 9:51 AM 

My dh told me that I had done enough this week and that today I should rest, surf the web and read a book and just relax. I will still cook all meals from home.

That was great to hear since I have drank two cups of coffee already today and I am still dragging.

2catsmom

Respond to this message   
PBinNY
(Login momtoelibet)
The Frugalista Files

Calm and quiet

August 3 2012, 10:52 AM 

I had one kiddo this morning and one this afternoon who is leaving at 3:00. I PUPA downstairs and we went to the book sale. I bought a few books for 50 cents a piece and found 2 air supply CDs for my sis for Christmas.

DH received a sizable check yesterday for a retroactive pay raise and a daycare family paid me for the week dad was out of work so we are back in good financial shape so DH is in a good mood again.

I am hoping to make some t-shirt scarves this afternoon. My sister requested them for Christmas.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Oh good! Now you can buy meat again, LOL!

August 3 2012, 11:10 AM 

I take it he hasn't divorced you yet. wink.gif

I have had a mild UTI all week and went to the doc in the box last night. My pharmacy had already closed, so he faxed the Rx and I need to pick it up this morning. (The alternative was to go to Walgreen's, but I'd probably still be waiting for it).

DS came home from work Wednesday afternoon with a 103 fever, took yesterday off and is also off today. He told me he was going to call the doc. The fever comes down with aspirin, but goes back up when the aspirin wears off. The only other symptoms are severe body aches and a mild sore throat. I asked the doc in the box about it last night, and he suggested strep, but he doesn't seem sick enough for that.

DS cooked breakfast for me this morning. It's fun to see him develop his own way of cooking things. His food doesn't taste like mine anymore.

We've been watching the Olympics a lot--really enjoyed the sculling yesterday afternoon. Getting a little tired of swimming and gymnastics. Today, I have a lot of cleaning and rearranging to do in the basement before the company comes next week. (Seven people will be staying with us, if you count the 2-month-old baby.) Also need to do laundry, and it's a good day for hanging clothes. I cooked a really good dinner last night(parmesan encrusted cod, sweet potatoes with cranberries and maple syrup and corn on the cob...all very easy, and all very good) and will have to work at it to match that one tonight.

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Aug 3, 2012 11:12 AM

Respond to this message   
Kim
(Login KimAB)
The Frugalista Files

what is a t-shirt scarf? nt

August 3 2012, 1:57 PM 

Respond to this message   
Kera
(Login Keraa)
The Frugalista Files

t-shirt scarves & necklaces - cute recycling...

August 3 2012, 4:15 PM 

Check this link on pinterest: t-shirt scarves & necklaces

http://pinterest.com/allreddesign/ibp-t-shirt-necklaces-scarves/

Respond to this message   
Laura
(Login ellebeekay)
The Frugalista Files

Went garage saling this morn and

August 3 2012, 11:10 AM 

found some good deals - a old but in excellent condition suitcase for my craft room, new shower caddy, 5 new candles, and a christmas pinecone wreath - think I'm gonna take the christmas stuff off it and just have it for fall. Also went to farmers market - no bargains there anymore but did get some great fresh veg and artisan bread. Now I've had it for the day so I expect I'll be napping soon happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

Slow day at work

August 3 2012, 12:59 PM 

So I got some homework done.  We're having leftovers for supper tonight to clean out the fridge before we go shopping tomorrow.  I need to make cake frosting tonight so it'll be ready to make cupcakes tomorrow, for a birthday party on Sunday.  I need red frosting which is notoriously bitter.  I bought some no-taste Wilton paste coloring, but I read online that it still can be a little bitter if you use a lot, and red will be the only color of the frosting.  People on that website recommended 2 things so I'm going to divide the batch and try both.  One said to put some cocoa in the frosting before adding the red tint, that it takes much less to get a nice deep red.  Another person said they use red koolaid powder to color it, of course it flavors it as well.  So I'm trying both. 

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Yes, I remember Raggedy Anne

August 3 2012, 1:35 PM 

When the kids were little I used one of those Wilton kits to make Raggedy Anne. She was adorable, but the red frosting was so bad we scraped it off! Even my little cake-crazy kids.

Respond to this message   
Monica
(Login midwestgirl)
The Frugalista Files

If you have an Aldi,

August 3 2012, 2:54 PM 

they had some canned red frosting around July 4th. They may still have some.

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

Red icing update

August 6 2012, 12:49 PM 

I mixed fruit punch koolaid into white buttercream icing.  It wasn't sufficiently red IMO, so I added the red no-taste color paste in with it, and some cocoa.  It had a strong fruit punch flavor but at least it wasn't bitter!  And the color deepened after it sat in the fridge for a few days.  Drake thought the elmo cupcakes were hysterical.

th_elmocupcakes2-1.jpg

Respond to this message   
Sandy in NJ
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

adorable

August 6 2012, 5:17 PM 

Very cute cupcakes! I used to love Koolaid fruit punch so I'd be willing to give that a try.

I can't quite tell from the little photo. Are those mini marshmallow eyes? Is the mouth an oreo cookie or black frosting?

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

You guessed it!

August 7 2012, 8:24 AM 

Yes, the picture is not good.  I don't understand yet how to post photos with photobucket, and apparently they've taken away the other option, the one I've used in the past.  Is there a picture tutorial?

I cut the oreos in half and put them on first, then piped the "fur" around the mouth.  Next came mini marshmallows for the eyes, with a dot of melted chocolate for the pupils.  A peanut M&M for the nose.  Very simple!

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

Oh my goodness, yes!!!!!

August 7 2012, 4:27 AM 

Too cute!!!!

Respond to this message   

Penny in FL
(Login Bugpugmom)
The Frugalista Files

Thanks.

August 7 2012, 8:25 AM 

They must have been tasty, there's only 1 left.

Respond to this message   
Monica
(Login midwestgirl)
The Frugalista Files

Another busy day.

August 3 2012, 3:05 PM 

I volunteered at registration at the school where I will be working from 8-1 today. I met several of my students, which was a lot of fun. Had some informative chats with a few of my fellow teachers. I was informed that if I want my kids to have notebooks and folders, then I need to provide them. There is no school supply list because most of the students can't afford supplies. I figured this was the case. So, after I went home for lunch, dd and I headed out to buy her school supplies, and I bought notebooks and folders for my students. 175 students. I also got some pencils, crayons, colored pencils, glue, and highlighters for various class projects. All supplies (including notebooks and folders) will stay in my classroom and students will be frisked before they leave my class. Not really. happy.gif I was also told not to let the kids keep their textbooks in their lockers because they will never bring them back to class. So now I have to find room to store the textbooks.

Student responsibility seems to be an issue at this school (a middle school - 6,7,8th), but I know the administration is working on this. The principal was new last year and this year he is working on dress code violations and enforcement of the handbook. One thing at a time, I guess.

The district I am in runs on a shoe-string budget. I checked out the supply room and there wasn't even roll paper to put on my bulliten boards. My desk was empty except for one pen, a box of paper clips, and some tacks. I was told a stapler would be issued next week. sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - FS Friday August 3rd
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum