Click here for recipes!

Click here for the archives!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

How are your gas and car insurance prices?

August 6 2012 at 4:50 AM
mj  (Login mom24dgs)
The Frugalista Files

Yesterday gas was $4.09 credit card/$3.99 cash. last time i filled up it was $3.65.
I don't carry enough cash on me to fill up with the cash price!!!

Also rec'd insurance renewal. We get these every 6 months, the premium is up-its been steady the last few times. One sons car went up $20 the other went up $50 (they are both on our policy and under 21). Whats funny is the up $20 is the younger driver who has a newer car. Have to see how much my and dh's car went up, i remember the boys prices cause they pay me back.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

Re: How are your gas and car insurance prices?

August 6 2012, 5:21 AM 

Gas is running around $3.45 to $3.59 depending on the station. They go up for a few days to the $3.60's then back down to the $3.40's for a few days. It's been cycling like that for a couple of months now. I usually try to fill up when I see it back down around $3.40 so I don't get stuck getting gas like I did last time at $3.63, then the next day it had dropped 20 cents!

As for insurance, 6 month policies...
June 2012 - $518.79, $500 deductible
Dec 2011 - $459.97, $1000 deductible
Sept 2011 - $447.15 (reissue, move to KY)
June 2011 - $519.96 (CA, $1000 deductible)
June 2010 - $503.36

Respond to this message   
glenda
(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

Car searching presently...

August 6 2012, 5:27 AM 

Premiums seem that they aren't so much associate with the age of the car anymore, but more with the risk of damage to another vehicle with the car (ie a larger vehicle cost more than a smaller vehicle) and the cost to repair the vehicle itself (special edition cost more than bottom of the rung).

At 50 yo, our policy seems to be holding steady - I can't convince dh that a little car would get him to and fro, he wants something sporty or a truck. We're leaning toward something sporty and better gas mileage, instead of a truck. I think the savings in gas money may make up for the lack of decrease in insurance premiums.

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

car's cost of insurance

August 6 2012, 5:48 AM 

Is it the damage you cause or the damage caused to you?

my old truck was the cheapest by far to insure, and it was an old all metal beast that would give more damage than it would get... as shown by the few incidents I and my brother have had in it. It was running me $180 for full coverage for six months.

Next up a little plastic Accent - that bumped my six month premium up over $600.

Next the SUV - value double that of the Accent, yet my premium went down.

so my vehicles that would cause more damage have cost less to insure... I'm sure there is some sort of algorithm there but I can't figure it out. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Myra
(Login conchokitty)
The Frugalista Files

I'd like to know too!

August 6 2012, 6:56 AM 

but tend to think it is how much it will cost to fix your car. The insurance adjuster told me long ago to get a Taurus as the company liked those due to repair costs.

Myra in West Texas

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

That was the old Taurus

August 7 2012, 5:57 AM 

Those new ones are pretty high dollar!

My mother used to have a Taurus. I hated that car. It had the worst blind spot in the back window due to the shape/design.

Respond to this message   
glenda
(Login glendaMO)
Moderators

Well,

August 7 2012, 5:01 PM 

you blew my theory completely - as it's dh's old truck that is costing us the most - big old Dodge Ram, with liability only cost as much as the other newer smaller cars full coverage. Weird.

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

that is weird!

August 7 2012, 6:38 PM 

I loved how cheap that old truck was and got a shock when I got a new car. OTOH when my brother bought the truck from me, I think he told me they were charging him a heck of a lot more.

Respond to this message   
Myra
(Login conchokitty)
The Frugalista Files

just make sure it does not say

August 6 2012, 6:59 AM 

sport on car name, LOL. or two door. Those up the rates. Sometimes a whole heckuva lot.

current ins. is 326 per six months. I drive a Mazda S... something. It is definitely a sporty car and gets good mileage. The newer ones should be even better.

Myra in West Texas

Respond to this message   
Monica
(Login midwestgirl)
The Frugalista Files

Just paid $3.92 for gas.

August 6 2012, 7:07 AM 

Not sure about the car insurance.

Respond to this message   
Sandy in NJ
(Login SandyinMI)
The Frugalista Files

3.39-3.59

August 6 2012, 7:43 AM 

I need to fill up today and gasbuddy.com shows this as the local range. I don't really pay much attention but dh usually knows where the cheapest place is.

Respond to this message   
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Gas $3.44 yesterday at Costco

August 6 2012, 7:51 AM 

Just paid last week on my '03 Grand Caravan. Full coverage, $500 deductible, $268.06 for two old people with pretty good (though not perfect) driving records. This was for 6 months. Probably should drop collision, but it's still cost-effective. And I used comprehensive less than 2 years ago when a deer hit me.

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Aug 6, 2012 7:59 AM

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

$3.81/gallon here.... nt

August 7 2012, 4:00 AM 

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

Make that $3.87 as of today... nt....

August 7 2012, 5:59 PM 

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

and $3.92 this morning : ( nt

August 9 2012, 5:59 AM 

Respond to this message   
Stacey
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files

3.36 yesterday, 3.69 today

August 9 2012, 6:00 AM 

I thought about topping off on my way home last night as I hadn't seen it below $3.40 in some time, guess I should have! News this morning was talking about the jump.

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

Gas up 49 cents in the last month

August 9 2012, 6:30 AM 

A couple of days or so after 7/4 I paid $3.069. Yesterday, I paid $3.559. They say it will go higher due to that fire at one of the refineries.

Glad I never reduced my gas budget way back when prices started dropping. I've been putting the leftovers each month in my MM acct, so I have a cushion just in case.

Respond to this message   
LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files

Make that 53 cents!

August 10 2012, 6:57 AM 

My usual place went up another 4 cents yesterday to $3.599. All the stations on the other side of the bridge (this is an exit at the interstate) were $3.639. My place is in competition w/ the Walmart on that side, so it's always a few cents cheaper.

Respond to this message   

2catsmom
(Login 2catsmom)
The Frugalista Files

Itis $4.13 a gallon here already,.

August 10 2012, 10:14 AM 

I told dh that we will be doing alot of walking except for buying weekly groceries and going to the doctors which is far away.

2catsmom

Respond to this message   

sheila
(Login SheilaPCT)
The Frugalista Files

WOW!!!

August 11 2012, 9:55 AM 

CT is not usually that far behind CA... so I expect to see that, or close to it, soon.... : (

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum