Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

Return to Index  

Blueberry Crumb Bars

July 17 2006 at 9:27 AM
Kimberly 

Response to DESSERTS--Cakes, frostings, cookies, pies, candy, puddings, etc.

This is my favorite blueberry recipe. I have some in the oven right now.

This is the original recipe- my notes/changes will be at the end.

Blueberry Crumb Bars 15 Servings

1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch cinnamon
4 cups blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Grease a 9"x13" pan.

Stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and pinch of cinnamon. Cut in shortening and egg. (Dough will be crumbly.) Pat half into prepared pan.

Stir together remaining sugar and cornstarch. Mix in berries. Sprinkle over crust. Crumble remaining dough over top.

Bake in oven for 45 minutes, till slightly browned. Cool and cut.

My copious notes:
-I prefer to replace at least half of the white flour with whole wheat. It is a little healthier and adds a great nutty flavor and texture.
-I like to add a little nutmeg with the cinnamon.
-I prefer not to use shortening. I use unsalted butter. If I have to use shortening, I use trans-fat-free.
-After pressing the base, I sprinkle liberally with a mix of 1:1:1 water, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and par-bake for 5 minutes. (I prepare the blueberry mix at this time.)
-After this cools, I use the same mixture I sprinkle on the base (water, lemon juice, vanilla) mixed with confectioner's sugar to make a glaze that I drizzle over the top.
-This cooks up just fine with frozen berries, or a mix of different berries.
-Speaking of berries, I only use 3 cups- I find it is plenty and I get more bang for my buck this way. Also, 4 cups wouldn't really fit in my pan (a baking stone pan which is more like 8"x13".)

Didn't have any lemon juice today, so I had to use lime juice instead. Can't wait to see how they turn out- my guess is they will be great- lime has a bit "spicier" flavor.

Respond to this message