Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

Return to Index  

Members' Tuna Casseroles (Frugal Friends)

April 13 2011 at 5:47 PM
Orig. posted by HollyHH 

Response to MAIN DISHES--Meats, Fish, Poultry, etc.

Kind of a long post. I usually just wing it with a lot of cooking. Changing things depending on what I feel like adding, what kind of pasta I have, what veggies need used up, etc.

Tuna Casserole is comfort food. These recipes probably all came from the net at one time, sorry I don't have the proper attribution. I made a note after most of them.
I tend to not use mushroom soup or any canned soups these days, but I used to always use it, it's fast and it tastes like something! That is my one usual complaint: It has everything but taste. I cook for my Mom, who needs less salt/sodium, quite often, and the soups have plenty of salt/sodium content. It's just easier and cheaper for me to make a white sauce.

If you are a newer cook, you may want to stick with the recipe the first time or two. Then expand, if you want to. These recipes are all quite easy and fast, and very forgiving. Several of the recipes would be suitable for a potluck or to take to a sick friend, etc. I'm not sure if you had a reason to want a tuna casserole recipe other than for yourself...

Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
2 cans tuna fish
2 cans cream of mushroom soup concentrate
Boiled noodles
Mix together drained tuna, cream of mushroom soup concentrate and boiled noodles.
Transfer into an oven-safe dish.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven, for 45 minutes.
Serve with a green veggie or salad.
HH Note: Quick, easy, I don't usually have mushroom soup though, so make a quick white sauce and add a few sliced mushrooms or a small can of mushrooms.

Best Tuna Casserole
The potato chips give the casserole a crunchy topping.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
Servings: 6 (or more)
1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen green peas
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1 cup crushed potato chips
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles, onion, 1 cup cheese, peas, tuna, soup and mushrooms. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish, and top with potato chip crumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly.
HH Note: I use more onion, less cheese, more peas, and again make a white sauce.

Tuna Noodle Casserole
6 T. butter or margarine, divided
2 lrg. celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 green onions chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 tsp. cracked pepper
3 cups of milk
1 3 oz. package cream cheese, cut up
1 8 oz. package thin egg noodles
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1 can tuna (6 1/2 oz.) drained and flaked
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, in 4 Tbl. of hot butter, cook celery and green onions until tender, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended.
4. Cook 1 minute.
5. Gradually stir in milk.
6. Cook, stiring constantly until mixture thickens slightly and boils.
(HH Note: 2 through 6 above here is how to make the white sauce.)
7. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Prepare noodles as directed on label and drain.
10. Melt 2 Tbl. butter in a small sauce pan.
11. Stir bread crumbs into melted butter.
12. Stir tuna and noodles gently into cheese sauce.
13. Pour mixture into a 12" by 8" baking dish.
14. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture.
15. Bake 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
HH Note: The above tells you how to make the white sauce, but they don't call it a white sauce. I usually have medium yellow onions, and use a whole one, might or might not use the cream cheese, probably add frozen peas and mushrooms, and probably 2 cans of tuna.

Tuna Casserole
8 oz. egg noodles
1 10-oz. pkg. Frozen peas
1 8-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 12-1/2-oz. can tuna, drained
1/2 cup plain or seasoned breadcrumbs tossed with
3 Tbsp. melted butter
-or
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers tossed with 3 Tbs. melted butter or margarine
Heat the oven to 375 degrees with the rack in the center position. Grease or spray non-stick vegetable cooking spray on 1 medium to large ovenproof baking dish, or two smaller dishes.
Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package, but shorten the cooking time by 2 minutes (al dente). Drain the noodles and combine with the peas, soup and milk. Mash the tuna with a fork to break it up and add it to the noodles. Mix gently and spoon into prepared pan.
Sprinkle the crumbs over the top and bake for 35 minutes, until hot.
Variations: Add salt (taste first, as soup may be salted enough); freshly grated black pepper; white pepper; snipped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, or dried herbs. Also, if you're not an avid fan of bread crumbs, 1/2 cup may be too much. Toss 1/4 to 1/3 cup with 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine for a light sprinkling.
HH Note: I usually have the smaller cans of tuna on hand, and again, a white sauce is easy, IMO, and probably more healthy than the soup, but the soup is so very easy.

Tuna Noodle Casserole
Casseroles became popular during the Great Depression because they were economical. Their appeal continued into the 1940s because they were convenient. With more women working outside the home during World War II, a one-dish meal that could be prepared ahead of time and reheated for supper was indeed a blessing. Serves: 6
8 ounces no-yolk noodles
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
4 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) fat-free, reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
8 ounces fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 can (12 ounces) water-packed chunk light tuna, rinsed,drained, and flaked
1/2 cup crushed reduced-fat snack crackers
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat a 2-1/2 quart or 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a large covered pot, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until tender. Add the soup, Monterey Jack, yogurt, scallions, black pepper, celery seeds, and red-pepper flakes. Mix well. Add the broccoli, tuna, and noodles. Fold to coat with the sauce. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
4. In a small bowl, combine the crackers and Parmesan. Sprinkle evenly over the noodle mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
HH Note: this is a yummy one, but again, I usually substitute things I have for some of what is called for. Celery seeds are a good addition to tuna casserole if you don't add celery.

Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole
1 bag egg noodles
2 cups of shredded sharp cheese
1 1/2 cups of crushed potato chips (onion or plain)
2 cans tuna in water (do not drain)
1 16 oz can of early peas (drain)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup (not mushroom)
2-3 cups milk
1 TB. onion powder
1 TB. Mrs Dash
Pre-heat oven to 350
In a large pan cook noodles until firm, remove and set aside.
In the same lrg. pan combine :
cream of chicken, tuna, peas, 1/2 of cheddar cheese, 1 cup milk, onion powder and Mrs.Dash.
Mix together and cook on med. heat until smooth. Add noodles then just enough milk to cover the noodles. Stir. Put ingredients into a baking dish, top with crushed potato chips and remaining cheddar cheese.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350.
Serve with hot dinner rolls and Apple Cherry Crisp w/vanila ice cream
Prep time: 25 minutes
Serves 6.
HH Note: Yummy, but I would use less cheese, frozen peas, white sauce made with the milk and some salt-free chicken bouillon.

From a newspaper: Tuna casserole, one that involves layers of vegetables, cheese and a mayo-based sauce. Then I proceeded to change it, adding chopped celery, switching to green onions and using petite peas instead of zucchini. I switched to light mayonnaise and use a lot less, replacing the lost mayo with some fat-free sour cream. I also used reduced fat sharp cheddar and water-packed albacore tuna instead of regular cheddar and oil-packed tuna. Chopped tomatoes top off this casserole for a nice, fresh finish.
(Editor's note: Recent news about the mercury content of albacore or white tuna suggests that children and pregnant or lactating women should limit their intake. Water-packed chunk light tuna is recommended instead.)

Contemporary Tuna Casserole
6 cups cooked egg noodles or fettuccine (about 9 ounces fresh)
2 (6-ounce) cans solid white tuna canned in water, drained and broken into small chunks with fork
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup petite peas
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large tomato, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish or similar with canola cooking spray.
In a mixing bowl, toss together the cooked noodles, tuna, celery, green onion, and peas. Stir in the sour cream, mustard, light mayonnaise, and half of the cheese. Season with salt and thyme.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes (until hot and bubbly). Sprinkle tomatoes over the top before dishing it up.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 396 calories, 24 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 1.6 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 545 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25 percent. Omega-3 fatty acids, 0.3 g. Omega-6 fatty acids, 1.4 g. Weight Watchers, 8 points.
The original recipe had 621 calories, 39 grams of fat, 9 grams of saturated fat, and 103 mg of cholesterol per serving.
HH Note: Copied from somewhere, and again, my subs - yellow onion for green onion unless I happen to have green onion, frozen peas. Nice to see the color of the tomato in this one. I have also made one similar using zucchini as mentioned in the paragraph above the recipe.

Tuna, Broccoli and Brie Casserole
1/2 lb. penne or fusilli pasta
1 cup broccoli florets, cooked
1 small onion, minced, cooked
6 oz. Brie cheese, rind removed
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, diced
7 oz. white tuna in water, drained and flaked
1 plum tomato, raw, finely diced
Preheat oven to temperature 350°F. Cook pasta in a flameproof casserole of boiling water 7-10 minutes, or until al dente. Add broccoli to water during last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain well and return pasta mixture to casserole. While mixture is hot, add onion and cheese, stirring lightly to melt cheese. Whisk together milk and mustard, add to other ingredients and stir to blend. Mix in scallions, roasted pepper, tuna and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to oven and bake about 30 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly, stirring once halfway through. Stir in tomato just before serving.
HH Note: I have not used the brie cheese, but have added my own roasted red bell peppers, very colorful. I like the penne or fusilli pasta for tuna casserole. Mustard gives a little zing. Tomato is nice too, for the color!

Tuna Casserole
3 cups medium pasta (multicolored spirals are nice)
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup onion
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup mayo (I use Miracle whip... it gives it that extra little flavor!)
3/4 cup wine (I use a dry white)
1 Tbl dill weed
2 - 6oz cans tuna packed in water, drained
1/4 cup pimento
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
French Fried Onions
Cook pasta. (of course I'm sure you knew this part! lol) Drain, set aside.
Slice celery, and chop onion. Saute in water til just tender. Add soup, wine, dill weed & mayo. Fold in pasta, tuna, pimento, olives & cheese.
Bake in a 2 Qt casserole dish at 350°F for 25 minutes or until bubbly around edges. Add French fried onions to top, bake another 5 minutes, or until crisp.
Of course there are many variations for Tuna Casserole, including making it a salmon, crab or shrimp casserole. This is one of DH's favorite meals. I serve this with salad, and garlic toast.
Somtimes I also put a fresh veggie on the side.
HH Note: Again, I sub what I have. Instead of the wine I use some chicken stock or water with salt free chicken bouillon, white sauce with some cheese added for the cheddar cheese soup, cracker crumbs or potato chips for the french fried onions.

Skillet Tuna and Pasta Casserole
9 oz. fresh spinach fettuccine, or plain
2 tsps. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup evaporated skim milk
3/4 cup skim milk
1-1/2 tsps. dried basil
7 oz. canned water-packed albacore tuna, flaked
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsps. breadcrumbs
Turn on broiler. Cook pasta in a large pan of boiling water 3 minutes, or until just cooked through. Drain well. Heat oil in a nonstick ovenproof pan over medium high heat. Sauté garlic 1 minute. Add evaporated milk, raise heat to high and cook 4-6 minutes, until reduced to about 3/4 cup. Stir in milk, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 1 minute, until hot. Add cooked pasta and toss to combine. Stir in tuna. Combine cheese and breadcrumbs in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over pasta. Broil 4 inches from heat source 1-2 minutes, until crumbs are browned. Serve from skillet.
HH Note: I don't usually have the fresh pasta or spend the extra to buy it, so cook pasta until al dente. Basil is nice in the dish. I usually have the evaporated milk on hand. Sometimes use it to make a white sauce, sometimes fresh milk, sometimes powdered milk.

Skillet Tuna and Pasta Casserole with Spinach
9 oz. fresh fettuccine
2 tsps. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. fresh spinach, shredded, cooked
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
1-1/2 tsps. dried basil
7 oz. canned water-packed albacore tuna, flaked
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsps. breadcrumbs
Turn on broiler. Cook pasta in a large pan of boiling water 3 minutes, or until just cooked through. Drain well. Heat oil in a nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Sauté garlic and spinach about 2 minutes. Add cream, raise heat to high and cook 4-6 minutes, until reduced to about 3/4 cup. Stir in milk, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 1 minute, until hot. Add cooked pasta and toss to combine. Stir in tuna. Combine cheese and breadcrumbs in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over pasta. Broil 4 inches from heat source 1-2 minutes, until crumbs are browned. Serve from skillet, cut into wedges.
HH Note: Spinach is wonderful (if you like it)! I usually use evaporated milk instead of the cream because I have the evap milk on hand.

Tuna Cashew Casserole
1 cup celery, chopped, cooked
1/2 cup onion, chopped, cooked
1/2 lb. cashews, chopped
7 oz. canned tuna
11 oz. cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
10 oz. crispy Chinese noodles
Preheat oven to temperature 350°F. Combine first 4 ingredients in a casserole. Combine milk and soup in a bowl. Add to casserole and mix in just to moisten. Cover with noodles and bake 30 minutes.
HH Note: Pretty good. I used more celery and onion, and an almost clear "white" sauce made from chicken broth with chopped mushrooms and corn starch. That made it closer to what I thought it needed to look like. Also I baked the noodles separately so they were crisp, then spooned the sauce over! Yummmm.

Easy Tuna Casserole
1/2 lb. wide egg noodles
6 oz. canned tuna, drained
1/2 cup canned sweet peas
1-1/3 cups cream of mushroom soup
1 cup potato chips, crushed
Preheat oven to temperature 350°F. Cook noodles in a large pan of boiling water 5-7 minutes, or until almost tender. Drain and transfer to a casserole dish. Stir in tuna and peas. Heat soup in a saucepan over medium heat until just heated through. Thoroughly stir into noodle mixture. Top with crushed potato chips and bake 15-20 minutes.
HH Note: Similar to some of the other recipes with similar substitutions made by me.

Quick Tuna Casserole
3/4 cup milk
2 tsps. all purpose flour
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 lb. pasta accents creamy cheddar
9 oz. canned water-packed albacore tuna, drained
1/3 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
Combine milk and flour in a heavy nonstick pan over medium high heat. Mix well. Add frozen vegetables and pasta. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover pan, reduce heat to low and simmer 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in tuna.
Cover and cook over low heat 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with croutons before serving.
HH Note: I tried this one and it was good but I substituted cooked penne pasta and a cheesy white sauce for the pasta accents creamy cheddar, and my own seasoned croutons for store bought. I liked it with more veggies.

Respond to this message