Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

MAIN DISHES--Meats, Fish, Poultry, etc.

May 26 2006 at 8:56 PM
Maxine 

Please post your MAIN DISH recipes here.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maxine

BarbVT's Favorite Salmon Recipe

May 26 2006, 8:58 PM 

Posted by BarbVT on 5/25/06

My Favorite Salmon Recipe - easy
Put an inch and a half of water in a skillet.

Add 5 peppercorns and 1 bayleaf.

Bring to a boil and add as many pieces of salmon as you like. Simmer for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Don't cover.

Make a sauce using half a cup of sour cream (lowfat is fine), a tablespoon of mayo, a couple of tablespoons of chopped green onion (or regular), and as much dill as you want. You can easily increase the recipe.

This recipe is so easy and very delicious.

Respond to this message   
LindaOH

Chicken Enchiladas

May 27 2006, 3:53 AM 

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

This recipe is an ad for Crisco Oil. I use Penny FL's sauce recipe too. It is good. I also use turkey instead of chicken.

3 cups enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
3/4 c. shredded cheddar
3/4 c shredded Monterey Jack
1/4 c. sour cream
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
12 6" corn tortillas (I use larger flour totillas. We like the flour ones instead of the corn. But because they are bigger, I use fewer tortillas)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the enchilada sauce below. In a medium bowl, mix chicken, green onions, 1/2 c cheddar, 1/2 c Monterey Jack, sour cream, chiles & cilantro. Stir in 1/3 c enchilada sauce. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside. Heat oil in pan and fry tortillas, one at a time until soft (10 seconds per side) (I don't do this step since I use flour tortillas). Drain on paper towels. Spray 9 X 13 baking dish with oil. Spread small amount of sauce in bottom of dish. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in each tortilla & roll up. Place seam side down, side by side in prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over top with remaining cheese & bake until bubbling, 15-20 minutes. Garnish with extra sour cream, sliced green onions & chopped cilantro.

Penny's Enchilada Sauce:

3 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. oregano
2 T. flour
1/2 t. cumin
1/8 c. chili powder (2 Tbsp.)
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1-1/2 c beef broth

Heat oil and flour in saucepan for 1 minute. Ad remaining ingredients and simmer at least 15 minutes.

Respond to this message   
LindaOH

Mom's Easy Stew

May 27 2006, 4:04 AM 

MOM'S EASY STEW

1-1/2 lbs lean beef, cut in 1-1/2" cubes (chuck, round or sirloin) (I use round steak)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in diagonal slices
4 carrots, cut in halves
2 onions, cut in 1/2 inch slices
1 (10-1/2 oz) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 soup can water
3 potatoes, peeled & cubed

Place beef (no need to brown it) in 3 qt. casserole. Sprinkle with salt, basil and pepper. Top with celery, carrots and onions. Combine soup and water. Pour over meat & vegetables, coating all pieces. Cover tightly and bake in slow (300*) oven for 3 hours. Add potatoes and bake 45 minures longer. Serve with slaw and crusty bread.

Respond to this message

Respond to this message   
LindaOH

Spicy Chicken

May 27 2006, 4:09 AM 

SPICY CHICKEN
1 med. onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
3 c. chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
2 c. chopped green onions
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dried thyme
1-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 Tbsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil 1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
16 oz. angel hair pasta (we serve it over rice)
1/2 c. sour cream (this is very important LOL)
In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, sauté the onion and garlic in 2 Tbsp. butter until tender. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, cayenne, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large resalable plastic bag, combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil and cumin; mix well. Add chicken and toss to coat.
In a skillet, sauté chicken in remaining butter until juices run clear. Add chicken to tomato sauce; simmer for 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Top with chicken mixture. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings. From Taste of Home.

Respond to this message   
LindaOH

Moroccan Chicken Stew

May 27 2006, 4:11 AM 

Moroccan Chicken Stew
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
From Family Circle Magazine an Food Network
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1-1/2 lbs. skinless chicken thighs (I use breasts)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 red onions, quartered lengthwise, sliced crosswise
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 (16 oz) can tomato puree (no salt added)
1/4 c. honey
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 sweet green peppers, cut in 1/2-inch squares
1/3 c. golden raisins
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
12 oz. orzo pasta, cooked (I think we used rice)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley leaves
Toss flour and chicken in bag to coat. Cook chicken in oil in nonstick skillet 6 minutes, until browned, turning once. Transfer to plate.
Cook onion in skillet 7 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cayenne: cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato, honey and salt. Add chicken; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in peppers, raisins and chickpeas; simmer, stirring, 15 minutes, until peppers are tender and chicken is no longer pink near the bone.
Serve over orzo. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.
I served this with 1/2 slices of navel oranges and rice. The oranges were so good with this. Don't know why.

Respond to this message   
Maxine

Turkey casserole--No Noodles!

May 27 2006, 11:03 AM 

This is a low-fat casserole. You can do several things to reduce the calorie count--substitute reduced fat cheese, skip the cheese on top, use skim milk, skip the bread cubes or substitute crushed low-fat potato chips, etc.

Turkey Casserole--No Noodles!
2 cups cubed turkey
One 10 ounce package (or about 1 cup) frozen peas
1 cup chopped celery
One 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper (green or any color)
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or jack cheese, divided
2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 slices white bread, cubed (see note above)

Combine the turkey, frozen peas, celery, water chestnuts, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, wine or broth, lemon juice and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth and heated through. Pour over turkey mixture and toss to coat.

Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Top with bread cubes, if desired. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (if desired) and bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted. If using potato chips for topping, sprinkle them over the top for the last 5 minutes.

This says 6 servings but better serves 3-4 adults. If I were making it for the freezer, I'd freeze it before baking.

Respond to this message   
Maxine

How to Make Chicken Fried (country fried) Steak with Country Gravy

May 28 2006, 8:32 AM 

Use round or sirloin steak. If it's on sale, top sirloin isn't that much more expensive...and it is that much better! "Petite sirloin" is bottom sirloin, and it's fine. Recipe from my inlaws, who owned The Hilander Restaurant, Burns, Oregon, 1957-64. Chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, with soup or salad, coffee AND a piece of pie, sold for $1.25.
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy
Tenderized round or sirloin steak, cut into serving size pieces
Flour for dredging
1 egg, beaten slightly
1 cup water
Dried bread crumbs or crushed saltines
Salt and pepper to taste (I use seasoned salt)
Oil and margarine

Dredge all of the steak in flour, shaking off the excess. Wash your hands. Mix egg and water together to make egg wash. Dip floured steak in egg wash, then dredge in bread crumbs or cracker meal. Preheat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add oil to heated skillet and then melt about 1 tablespoon of margarine in skillet. Fry steaks in oil and butter until golden brown on one side. Turn, season with salt and pepper, and fry until done. Transfer to an ovenproof plate or pan and keep warm in oven until all of the steaks are cooked. Add oil and butter to pan as needed.

COUNTRY GRAVY--Gravy is an art, not a science. The success of your gravy will depend on the pan drippings. If you have more than a tablespoon or so of grease left in the skillet, pour off the excess. If you don't have enough grease, melt a little butter in the bottom of the pan. Add about 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until smooth to make a roux. Cook for a minute or two to eliminate the "raw" taste from the flour. Using an egg whisk (one of those spring-y type things), stir the roux while you add about 1-1/2 cups of milk. Stir until thickened. If it got thick right away, you probably have too much flour in it and will end up with "pudding gravy." If so, add more milk and continue stirring until it boils and is the right consistency. If it is too thin, just keep cooking and stirring until it thickens up. Season with salt (seasoned salt) and pepper. Stir in a chicken bouillion cube or about 1/2 teaspoon chicken soup base...this is the secret ingredient. Country gravy is usually on the salty side.

Edited to add this note--It is usually cheaper to buy round or sirloin steak on sale and have the meatcutter tenderize it for you than to buy pre-packaged cube steak...which is over-tenderized and tends to fall apart when you work with it. Have the meatcutter put it through the tenderizing machine twice. I have never been charged extra for this service.

This message has been edited by MaxineS on May 28, 2006 8:48 AM

Respond to this message   
blueyes

Max's Baby Back Ribs

May 28 2006, 12:53 PM 

Originally posted by Maxine

Baby Back Ribs
1 or more racks of baby back ribs
salt & pepper
sliced onion
minced garlic or garlic powder
dry wine - any kind
BBQ sauce - any kind

Line a roasting pan with foil and lay ribs in pan. Pepper ribs well. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 min - 1 hour.
Remove from oven, salt the meat and top with garlic and sliced onion. Pour 2 cups dry wine over the ribs. Cover with foil and return to oven at 250 degrees. Bake for about 5 hrs., basting occasionally. If necessary, add a little water to pan drippings.)

Remove from oven, discard onions. Pour off any pan drippings. Baste with BBQ sauce and return to oven for 30 min. Do not cover.

Turn meat over, baste again with BBQ sauce and bake another 30 min. If necessary, turn meat again, baste and continue baking until ready to serve.

Comments from Max--You can use any kind of wine or barbecue sauce. I usually use white or rose wine. I am not a barbecue sauce purist--I usually doctor up Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce with more garlic and a little brown sugar. I have also speeded this up to about 6 hours by baking at 275 degrees. You do want long, slow cooking.

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Jul 17, 2006 7:13 AM

Respond to this message   
Maxine

Chicken Broccoli Skillet

May 28 2006, 5:34 PM 

Posted by lili in CO, moved by forum owner to this thread
Chicken Broccoli Skillet
May 28 2006 at 2:23 PM lili In CO
Okay, ...Miracle Whip makes me gag... but for this recipe only, I break down and buy the disgusting stuff. Its a good way to get kids to eat broccoli.

1/2 cup Miracle Whip
1 lb. chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups water
2 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
1/2 pound Velveeta, cubed
2 cups Minute Rice, uncooked

Heat Miracle Whip in large skillet. Add chicken and cook until done - about 8 minutes.

Add water, broccoli and Velveeta. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.

Respond to this message   
Tammy L

Bar-B-Qued Meat Balls

May 28 2006, 5:41 PM 

Bar-B-Qued Meat Balls

1 pound ground beef
1 egg
¾ cup evaporated milk
½ Tblsp. salt
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup cracker crumbs

Mix all ingredients and roll into balls. Brown meatballs and pour off grease.

Then add:

2 Tblsp. Worstershire sauce
2 Tblsp. sugar
1 cup ketchup
½ cup water
3 Tblsp. vinegar
6 Tblsp. chopped onion

Simmer for 20 minutes

Respond to this message   
Tammy L

Barbecued Ribs

May 29 2006, 6:17 AM 

Barbecued Ribs

4 pounds pork ribs

Vinegar Basting Sauce
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup red wine vinegar

Barbecue Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
½ cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup prepared mustard
¼ cup butter or margarine
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt

Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer while ribs are basting in the oven.

Place ribs in a shallow roasting pan. Pour vinegar basting sauce over ribs. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes for baby loin back ribs or 1 hour for spareribs or country-style ribs. Baste with vinegar mixture halfway through cooking time.

Drain ribs, discarding basting sauce. Grill ribs over low coals for 15 minutes, turning after 8 minutes. Baste ribs generously with the barbecue sauce before putting on grill and when turning.

***I got this recipe out of a Southern Living Magazine years ago. It is really good.

Respond to this message   
Beverly

Lasagna

May 31 2006, 4:30 PM 

LASAGNE

Meat mixture:
1 lb. ground beef, cooked
1 clove garlic
1 TBS. parsley
1 TBS. basil
1-1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups canned tomatoes
12 oz. tomato paste

Cheese mixture:
3 C cottage cheese
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 TBS. parsley flakes
1/2 C parmesan

Also need 1 lb. of sliced mozzarella and 10 oz. cooked lasagne noodles.

Instructions:
Simmer meat mixture ingredients uncovered for 1/2 hour. To assemble, put 1/2 noodles in pan, then 1/2 cheese mixture, 1/2 mozzarella and 1/2 meat mixture. Repeat layers but make mozzarella the top layer. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. I usually keep mine covered with aluminum foil for most if not all of the baking time.

Respond to this message   
BethannM

Super Easy What-Am-I-Gonna-Take-to-That-Potluck Meatballs

June 1 2006, 4:32 AM 

I buy Armour original or caramel meatballs (not Italian) when they are b1g1, which makes them $1.29 a pound. I HATE rolling meatballs! I make this for all our graduation parties and other get-togethers, and it's always a hit.

Three or four pounds of meatballs fit in my large crock pot. Adjust as you need to for your crock pot or baking dish.

For every 3-4 pounds of meatballs, add 32 oz Grape Jam (has to be jam, not jelly) and two bottles of Chili Sauce (found near the ketchup). I know it sounds crazy, but it is SOOO good. Kind of a tangy, almost sweet-n-sour flavor.

I have no idea how many points this is on WW, and I'm not checking! They're worth the spurge!

Respond to this message   
Jodi

My favorite salmon recipe

June 6 2006, 9:30 AM 

My brother made this for us last summer and we LOVE it!
This is good for the farmed salmon. It is way easy!

Take a salmon steak cover the meat with mayo (we use light)
make sure the meat all has some mayo on it. Then put a few
peppers on top of the mayo. We have this jar of little green
peppers in vinegar that we use. Maybe 2-3 depending on if you
like it spicy! Wrap in foil and cook on the bar-b-que. Its done
when it flakes with a fork.
The meat is SO moist and tastes really good! It is sooo
easy to make too!

Respond to this message   
Tnetter

Herbed Pork Tenderloin

June 19 2006, 6:41 PM 

¾ c. red wine vinegar 1-1/2 t. dried parsley flakes
¼ c. margarine, cubed 1-1/2 t dried oregano
2 T Worcestershire sauce 1 t. garlic powder
2 t. seasoned salt ¼ t. pepper
2 pork tenderloins (about ¾ pound each)

In a saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook for 3 minutes or until butter is melted. Grill pork tenderloins, covered, over medium heat for 18-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160º, basting with herb sauce and burning occasionally. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.

I think this must be easy to make. I bought the stuff & dd#2 made it while we were at a meeting. She sliced it before grilling (she looked at the picture instead of reading the directions) & it was delicious.

Respond to this message   
LindaOH

Mueller's Baked Macaroni and Cheese

July 14 2006, 5:25 AM 

This came off the macaroni box and it is my family's favorite.

Mueller's Baked Macaroni and Cheese

2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard (optional)
1/4 tsp. pepper
2-1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp. butter
2 cups (8 oz) shredded American or Cheddar cheese, divided
8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked 7 minutes and drained

In medium saucepan combine first 4 ingredients; stir in milk. Add butter; stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add elbows. Pour into greased 1-quart casserole. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.

Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

I make buttered bread crumbs for the top by buttering a slice of bread and then just pinching off little pieces. They come out crunchy and yummy.

Also, I have tried slightly undercooking the macaroni because it will cook more in the oven. Don't do this as it makes the sauce dry. Fully cook the macaroni until tender or al dente. Then you get the right consistency with the sauce.

Please let me know how you like it if you try it.

Respond to this message   
Maxine

Sheila's Freezer-Friendly Mac & Cheese

July 16 2006, 1:43 PM 

Sheila says--I usually make 4 tins at once and freeze 3, and it keeps really well for at least up to 6 months. I made lots of it before I had the baby because I knew it was mild, and good--and we all like it.

From the Farm Journal Freezing and Canning cook book 1978 edition

Macaroni and cheese (single recipe)
1-1/2 cups of uncooked macaroni
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 Tblsp butter
2 Tblsp flour
1/4 tsp pepper
3 c milk
2 c grated cheese (they call for sharp cheddar but I have used all sorts)
1/2 Tblsp fine grated onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c buttered bread or cracker crumbs (but if freezing, not needed till you are going to serve it).

Cook macaroni in salted water aobut 2 minutes less then for normal doneness. Drain and rinse.

Make a white sauce of butter, flour, salt, pepper, and milk. After made stir in cheese. Add macaroni, onion and Worcestershire sauce.

Cool, place in greased 8 x 8 pan. Label, freeze.

To serve, thaw well and bake 350 degrees for 25 mins. Remove foil then add crumbs bake 15 minutes more.

ENJOY!

Respond to this message   
Polly (copied and pasted by BethannM)

Meat and Potato Pie

August 23 2006, 4:41 AM 

Meat and potato pie - (my version of traditional Lancashire dish)

Make in deep dish for preference. Pre boil lots of potatoes and cook a very small amount of mince (hamburger) with onion.

Mix the whole lot together with as good a gravy as you can manage at the time and season well. NO HERBS but plenty of pepper. Top with pastry brushed with beaten egg. Serve with a veg - carrots or cabbage go well.

This is a winter dish - nobody can move far afterwards!

Respond to this message   
Polly (copied and pasted by BethannM)

Fish Pie

August 23 2006, 4:43 AM 

I usually use coley with a few prawns thrown in because coley is very cheap and the dull colour doesn't show up in a fish pie.
My favourite is to mix white fish with a little(a third of the amount?) smoked cod or haddock - then a few prawns mmaybe.
I make it like this

Precook fish.
Make about half a pint to a pint (depending on size of pie)of white sauce. If I have cream or creme fraiche I will add a dollop.Add plenty of parsley or herb of choice/salt/pepper.
Pour over fish in oven proof dish and mix so integrated.

Cover with enough mashed potato to cover, then top with grated cheese or leave plain. Cook in oven or whizz under grill to brown if everything is still hot from preparation.

You can also heat in microwave then brown under the grill

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index