<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to FMF Index  

Cliff Richard : The Tangled Webb

September 29 2016 at 6:06 PM
No score for this post

Transit  (Premier Login Sevenhigh)
Owner

CLIFF RICHARD : THE TANGLED WEBB

CHRISTIANITY & MUSIC, CHILDREN & TEENAGERS, CHARITY INVOLVEMENTS & MUSIC, SEX OFFENDER FRIENDS, ROYAL ENCOUNTERS & RELATIONSHIPS, RUMOURS / CONJECTURES / OPINIONS... & MORE

'..In India kite-flying was taken much more seriously than it is here.

You took your cotton string and rubbed in a mixture of white of egg and finely powdered ground glass, so that it was like a cutting edge. The important thing was to wear leather gloves so that you didn't cut yourself, of course.

The kites were diamond-shaped, in all colours, with the shortest tails. Those are best for flying. The aim was to fly your kite across your opponent's, and then quickly slacken your string so that it cut through his. Then the trick was to play with the wind so that you caught his kite and 'tangled' it. If you did that you could claim it as your prize.

It was fascinating...'

Cliff Richard, quoted in the book 'Cliff Richard in his own words'

Cliff Richard: Peter Pan of Pop

http://cliff.lifeon.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=36&layout=blog&Itemid=74

Sir Cliff Richard OBE Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Richard

Cliff Richard IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0723771/

The missed chances to get Jimmy Savile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21756150

Jimmy Savile Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

Cliff Richard in his own words by Kevin St. John (Omnibus Press, 1991)

Cliff Richard : The Biography by Steve Turner (BCA, 1993)

Cliff Richard : The Complete Chronicle by Mike Read, Nigel Goodall and Peter Lewry (Hamlyn re-print, 1994)

In Plain Sight - The Life and Lies of Jimmy Savile by Dan Davies (Quercus, 2014)

Dorothy Edith Bridgwater is born, in India, with a club foot.

December 23rd

Rodger Oscar Webb is born in Rangoon, Burma.

His father, Frederick William Webb…

‘…was a tough disciplinarian who caned the boys and took the attitude that if girls misbehaved while boys were present it was the boys’ fault for letting it happen. He kept his servants in order… He was also deeply religious, reading the Bible regularly….’

(CR:TB)

Dorothy Edith’s father, William Brock Bridgwater returns to his family in India, as a cripple, after breaking his spinal cord in the second battle of Ypres, in France.

Dorothy Marie Dazely is born in Lahore, to William Edward Dazely and Dorothy Edith Bridgwater.

William Dazely leaves his wife and two daughters and effectively disappears from their lives.

October 31st

James Wilson Vincent Savile is born, in Leeds.

1926 - 1927

‘Dorothy Edith had found a new love in Richard Dickson, an Anglo-Indian who claimed Indian royal blood… their first daughter, Edna was born…’

‘Dorothy Edith ruled her family with a rod of iron and had a fierce temper.’

Jimmy Savile suffers a life-threatening fall and goes into a coma:

Michael Aspel - You didn’t actually think he was going to last that long originally, did you?

Mary, Jimmy’s older sister - No, no.. er.. When he was a baby, about four months old he fell out of his pram, and he was unconscious for the best part of three months.. And Mother used to go to St. Anne’s Cathedral on a regular basis to pray for his recovery.

Jimmy Savile - Eh, is that me?

Mary - Yes, you.

Savile - Oh, I was I weh I weh I was allowed another chance.

Mary - You were allowed another chance.

Savile - Thank God Thank God | Aspel - Your mother must have thought it was a miracle.

Mary - Oh, mother definitely thought it was a miracle. Well, we all did.

Aspel - Yes

Mary - We all did, I mean, look what we’ve been landed with.

LAUGHTER FROM AUDIENCE

Aspel - Thank you, Mary Timm….

(Sir James Savile ‘This Is Your Life’ TV tribute, 12.12.1990)

‘Perhaps Jimmy's trauma as an infant (falling out his pram) damaged his brain and led to his sociopathic nature.’

(Dendiol, YouTube, 2014)

‘Falling out of his pram and the concussion must have been what turned him into a demented pedophilic psychopath’

(Danny 1997, YouTube, 2015)

‘00:48 - omg, this might explain why he became such an evil pervert. I wonder how he would've turned out, if the accident hadn't have happened.’

(rob16248, YouTube, 2016)

Derek McCulloch aka Uncle Mac of the BBC is running something - or two associated things - called the Children’s Ring and the Nignog Club.

October 14th

Harry Rodger Webb is born in Lucknow, India to parents Rodger Oscar Webb and Dorothy Marie Dazely.

June 10th

Harry Webb’s brother, Frederick William (named after his father’s father) is born.

As a ‘blue baby’, who is unremittingly afflicted with illness, he lives (according to one source) for fewer than three weeks.

Harry Webb’s sister, Donella Eugenie Webb is born.

‘..We also had a green parrot which we kept in a cage. He didn’t talk, but he used to whistle. Anyway, one day I put a cloth toy parrot in his cage for him to play with. Well, he started to attack it. And by the time Dad came home, he was dead! He’d tried to fight the toy one, and collapsed with exhaustion.

My mother says I was pretty vicious with animals….’

(CR, CRihow)

November 21st

Harry Webb’s second sister, Jacqueline Ann is born.

Unknown date this year

A film is made showing Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, accompanied by Derek McCulloch and others, on a visit to Queen Elizabeth's Foundation for Disabled People, a disability charity based in Surrey:

‘This film was narrated by Derek McCulloch OBE who was a BBC Radio presenter. He was known as "Uncle Mac" in Children's Favourites and Children's Hour, and the voice of "Larry the Lamb" in Toytown. QEF is aware of allegations made against him after his death, but a decision was taken to present this film in its entirety as it is a historical artefact’

(YT ‘Adversis Major - 1948 Queen Mum visit to QEF’, posted 01.12.2015)

August 24th

Harry Webb leaves India, with his parents and two sisters, on a passenger liner bound for England.

Harry Webb’s third sister, Joan is born.

‘The values that the Webbs brought with them from India seemed strangely out of place in a world that was frantically trying to rid itself of Victorianism. Rodger didn’t like the new air of informality He was determined that in his family, at least, the old values of honesty, courtesy and diligence would be upheld…

Rodger Webb had a firm belief… that the Bible was the supreme guide for living, and he would regularly read chapters of it to the children…

This moral code was rigid and enforced quite severely at times. He demanded unquestioning obedience… The children would be punished for being five minutes late. Harry would get a slap…’

(Steve Turner, CR:TB)

1950s [?]

Uncle Mac’s Pied Piper Club is operating, seemingly either: otherwise known as, or aligned with the News Chronicle Children’s Club.

‘Sir Harold Haywood… For almost twenty years he occupied one of the top positions at the National Association of Youth Clubs, first leading as Education and Training Director, and then Director of Youth Work. Under his Directorship from 1955-1974, Sir Angus Ogilvy, husband of Princess Alexandra was appointed President, with Jimmy Savile as Vice-President; a slew of celebrity attended fundraising events were organized, new headquarters were built on premises at Devonshire Street and membership swelled to 600,000.…’

(bitsofbooksblogs.wordpress.com)

“His father could be unyielding… Cliff would never argue with him. He set the law and that was it.”

(Norman Mitham, CR:TB)

“He respected his father but I think that it was respect out of fear rather than respect out of love.”

(Pete Bush, CR:TB)

“He was a mummy’s boy. Mrs. Webb had a real hold over him. I never saw him out at all.”

(Ivy Clare, CR:TB)

Harry Webb is stripped of his school prefect’s badge for having played truant, obtaining tickets to see Bill Haley and the Comets in concert.

PHAB (Physically Handicapped and Able Bodied) is set up following a National Association of Youth Clubs members' annual conference in 1957 to support clubs with disabled and able bodied members. It was run by the NAYC with the Central Council for the Disabled, and was based at NAYC's headquarters in Devonshire Street, London.

September

Cliff joins a skiffle group:

“Skiffle was just a vehicle to take me where I wanted to go. I didn’t find it very exciting but I liked being able to sing in front of an audience. There wasn’t another skiffle singer who looked like Elvis. I unashamedly used it to further my own ends.”

(CR, CR:TB)

‘For Harry Webb, 1958 was to be the last year of normal life…

He began the year as a shy young office clerk playing skiffle in Hertfordshire village halls, and ended it under another name as a national celebrity who girls wanted to paw and their boyfriends wanted to punch…’

April - May 3rd

He shifts from being known as Harry Webb, singer in The Drifters, to being Cliff Richard of Cliff Richard and The Drifters - first show with the new name is at Regal Ballroom, Ripley.

June

The group playing a Saturday morning show at the Gaumont Theatre, Shepherd’s Bush, experience ‘a wave of frenzied screaming from the audience’:

“It didn’t make sense and it felt unreal but I loved it. In those days the sound of girls screaming was the gauge of success.”

Cliff ditches his girlfriend:

“I wanted a career, I didn’t want a girlfriend. So I got rid of the girlfriend. That’s as brutal as I can put it. It didn’t mean that I liked her less but I just made the cold-blooded choice to go for that. That’s what I wanted.”

July

The group have met Norrie Paramour, who has then gone on holiday (with family) to Tangier, Morocco. On his return, he signs Cliff up to the Columbia record label.

For years to come, Mr. Paramour will be (as Steve Turner puts it) Cliff’s ‘..producer, arranger and father figure’.

September 12th

‘Move It’, the first single by Cliff Richard & The Drifters enters the UK chart.

Unknown date this year

‘..Jimmy Savile, a former professional wrestler, ran the Mecca Locarno Ballroom nightclub in his hometown of Leeds.

This was his domain and Savile, then aged 32, ruled it with a terrifying rod of iron. But that evening Savile was perturbed.

“He came in and just ignored us all, walked straight past us,” recalled Dennis Lemmon, one of the club’s bouncers but also Savile’s de facto personal bodyguard, “I remember saying: 'what’s up with him?’ and someone in the club replied: 'He’s up in court tomorrow – interfering with young girls. He’s worried’.”

Lemmon, now aged 80, saw Savile again three days later. He was back to his irrepressible self, the swagger restored. “He was really worried but everything was dropped. I was told he had paid them [the police] off. And apparently that wasn’t the first time either but I don’t know about that. He had a lot of friends though.”…

Mr Lemmon, tracked down by The Sunday Telegraph last week, said everyone who worked at the club knew Savile preferred young girls – the 14- and 15-year-olds who hung around the club. When asked why nobody did anything, Mr Lemmon said: “I suppose because it was Jimmy.”…’

(Robert Mendick, Jasper Copping and Patrick Sawer, The Telegraph, 13.10.2012)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Transit
(Premier Login Sevenhigh)
Owner

Re: Cliff Richard : The Tangled Webb

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:15 PM 

Unknown date this year

Cliff Richard:

“I used to go out of my way to make kids scream. Now they scream when they hear my name.”

(CRihow)

Unknown date, possibly 26/10 this year

Cliff Richard is photographed with Jimmy Savile, in Radio Luxembourg Studios, by Harry Hammond.

January

First appearance by Cliff Richard with his new Drifters line-up, at Manchester’s Free Trade Hall, is compered by Jimmy Tarbuck.

January 25th

Cliff Richard performs in a two-hour stage show of the ITV show ‘Oh Boy’ held at the Commodore Cinema, Hammersmith, London.

Among those in the audience are:

Elfrida Eden (Sir Anthony Eden’s niece), two young Lloyd’s brokers (Michael Barlow and Raymond Mackender), and Lady Jellicoe, chairman of Save The Children.

February & March

Cliff and The Drifters tour the ‘Granada Circuit’ as part of a package, compered by Jimmy Tarbuck.

Cliff rents a three-bedroom flat at 100 Marylebone High Street, where Jimmy Tarbuck often stays in the spare bedroom.

“Cliff was always a mystery to me. He kept himself to himself. He wasn’t part of the gang. Often, when all the others were on the coach, Cliff would be in a car with his manager Tito Burns. It was very difficult to get close to him.”

(Royston Ellis, CR:TB)

“From the moment I met him women were of no interest to Cliff.”

(Tito Burns, CR:TB)

May

In ‘Serious Charge’, a film version of a play ‘about a vicar who helps a juvenile delinquent who then tries to frame him on a charge of indecent assault’, Cliff takes the part of the delinquent’s younger brother.

Jess Conrad’s role in the film is ‘..the leader of a local gang which disrupts the vicar’s youth club…’

June 23rd

Cliff Richard is on the list of artists for the Royal Variety performance on this date, in the presence of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, according to an item in The Times (20/6).

‘CLIFF RICHARD… now there is a name that conjures with the youngsters nowadays.

How exciting it was to watch the 19-year-old rock ‘n’ roller last night on the commercial network, talking to Daniel Farson about being a celebrity.

It is easy to understand Cliff Richard’s success. He has a warm, confiding, “cuddly” personality that must appeal to young people of his own age both as a brother and as an easy-to-get-to-know friend.

Yet the emptiness of his life as revealed to Farson is staggering….’

….Nancy Spain, Daily Express, October 1st 1959.…

October 26th

Cliff broadcasts live from Radio Luxembourg, with DJs Barry Alldis, Don Moss and Ted King.

November 20th

Premiere of ‘Expresso Bongo’ at Carlton Cinema, London is attended by Sir Winston Churchill.

Unknown date in this year

“I wish somehow I could be Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up. I’m going to stay young for as long as I can.”

(Cliff Richard)

Harry Hammond photographs Cliff Richard with Jet Harris, Tony Meehan, Bruce Welch, Hank Marvin (The Shadows), Barry Alldis and Jimmy Savile (Disc Jockeys) in Radio Luxembourg Studios.

January 17th

Cliff Richard and The Shadows top the bill of ‘Sunday Night At The London Palladium’, attracting a television audience of 19 million, the most people that have ever watched a light entertainment show, in Britain.

March 28th

Royal Film Performance at the Leicester Square Odeon, in the presence of Philip, Duke of Edinburgh; Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent and her daughter, Princess Alexandra. Stars present at the event include Noel Coward, Leslie Caron, Kim Novak, Lionel Blair and Cliff Richard.

March 31st

Cliff appears on BBC TV children’s programme ‘Crackerjack’ with presenter Eamonn Andrews.

April 21st

‘..A shadow

FOLLOWING Cinderella like a typhoon follows a calm day came Cliff Richard in Me And My Shadow, a short programme displaying the art of sending ridiculous girls screaming into the aisles.

I regard Richard as one of Britain’s most outstanding artists but I cannot take him and his screaming girls at the same time.

After fifteen minutes of what I can only describe as DEMENTED NOISE I felt like throwing a rock at my set.

While this type of audience is part and parcel of a pop singer’s art producer Diana Thetford should have had greater control over them. I does help to hear an artist!’

(Guy Taylor / The Stage)

April - May

Cliff Richard and Anthony meet the Duke of Edinburgh (?).

Moves into a semi-detached corner house in Winchmore Hill (cost £7,000) with his parents and three sisters:

‘By the side of his bed is a reading lamp presented by the 59 Teenage Club of the Eton Mission in Hackney Wick.’

(CR:TCC)

May 16th

Cliff Richard performs at the Royal Variety Show at the Victoria Palace, London, in the presence of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh:

“When I was chosen for the last Royal Variety in Manchester I felt that I had then reached a peak, so I’m completely knocked out at being selected again!…”

June

Six months at the London Palladium. David Kossof, who appeared every night on stage with Cliff and The Shadows:

“Almost nothing I said could be heard because of the screaming. This was to me an entirely new and frightening experience in that I was working with someone who, ever time he moved his body, had the audience screaming in orgasmic delight.”

Cliff has a brief affair with Jet Harris’s wife. His parents find out:

“..his mother and father talked to him all night about the evils of sin and I think that was what broke it off…”

(Mike Conlin, CR:TB)

“.my dad would have been seeing it from a spiritual point of view.

He wouldn’t have been so concerned about the effect on Cliff’s career or what the neighbours might think but the fact that what he’d done went against God’s commandments…”

(Jacqui Webb, CR:TB)

“I suppose in my naivety I thought no one would either know about it or believe it. It didn’t seem to matter at the time. It went against my principles but when you are experiencing these things your principles become unimportant…”

July 21st

Cliff will appear in a Little Lord Fauntleroy suit at the Actors’ Orphanage midnight revue, Night of a Hundred Stars, on this date, according to Daily Mirror (7/7).

August 28th

‘Last Sunday, Cliff played another unusual concert date - at Wakefield Gaol, where he entertained prisoners.’

October 11th

Cliff Richard is photographed with Lord Boothby and Vic Oliver at a Variety Club lunch.
October 26th

‘This is what Cliff has to say about other people and subjects:

* PRINCESS ALEXANDRA: “The prettiest, coolest looking lady I have ever seen.”…..’

October 30th

‘CLIFF RICHARD and the Shadows will appear again this autumn in the annual concert organised by his old school at Cheshunt, in aid of the town’s youth club building.

But because capacity in the school hall where the concert has been held for the last two years is hopelessly inadequate, the venue is being changed to the huge Regal Cinema, Edmonton….’

December 1st

Cliff Richard performs, in front of the Queen Mother, at the London Palladium, in a Royal version of ‘Stars In Your Eyes’ with Judy Garland, Bruce Forsyth, The Shadows and the Norrie Paramor Orchestra.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:20 PM 

‘David Hockney produced several works in the early 1960s that refer to his crush on Cliff Richard, including ‘ECR (Cliff Richard)’ circa 1960–2. The painting ‘We Two Boys Together Clinging’ (Arts Council, London), inspired by a poem by Walt Whitman (1819–92), is also linked to a newspaper headline about a mountaineering incident that caught Hockney’s eye ‘Two Boys Cling to Cliff All Night’, which suggested to him an allusion to the singer...’

(www.tate.org.uk)

January 19th

Another guest spot for Cliff on children’s TV show ‘Crackerjack’.

May 11th

Cliff Richard and The Shadows appear at ‘NSPCC Pied Piper Ball’. Princess Margaret, who attends with her husband requested Cliff’s appearance.

May 15th

Cliff’s father dies, aged 57:

“He was a dominant character right to the end.”

May 26th

Cliff presents awards at the Methodist Association of Youth Clubs’ annual get-together at the Royal Albert Hall, London. He sings ‘Living Doll’.

July

Two winners of the National Deaf Children’s Society film script competition win a visit to Elstree to meet Cliff Richard on the set of ‘The Young Ones’, and to watch filming.

Unknown dates in this year

Cliff Richard goes to the ‘Variety Club Awards’ dinner at the Dorchester, London.

Cliff Richard and The Shadows attend a special gala event with 300 stars organized by the ‘Variety Club’ (the eighth of its kind), at the Festival Gardens, London.

Jess Conrad and Jimmy Savile photographed together in Radio Luxembourg Studios by Harry Hammond.

“We used to go for drives in the country and I would visit him at his home. On Sundays he’d sometimes hire the whole swimming pool at Dolphin Square and Mike Conlin, Cliff’s mum and his sisters would come.”

(Delia Wicks, CR:TB)

October 14th

Cliff and The Shadows leave London for a tour of Australia, preceded by shows in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

October 26th

Delia Wicks receives a letter from Cliff ending their relationship:

“He had obviously wanted to get involved with me but then he got frightened and that was it. It was all so confusing. I’ve never got to the bottom of it.”

(Delia Wicks, CR:TB)

December 13th

Premiere of ‘The Young Ones’ at Warner Theatre, London. Cliff stars as the leader of a youth club that is threatened with being torn down by a company owned by his father.

December 20th (or 19th)

Cliff Richard appears at a Cheshunt Boys Club charity show at the Edmonton Royal.

February 26th

Royal Film Performance (‘West Side Story’) at Odeon, Leicester Square, in the presence of the Queen, Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon - before the film began the Queen met sixteen stars - among them: Yul Brynner, Peter Finch, Pat Boone, Peter Sellers, Dany Robin, Claudia Cardinale, Richard Attenborough and Cliff Richard.

March 13th

VARIETY CLUB Show Business Awards For 1961, Savoy Hotel, London

Deborah Kerr, Dirk Bogarde, Vanessa Redgrave, Cliff Richard and Albert Finney.

March 20th

Piece in Daily Express about Rev. John Oates, ‘the swingin’ vicar of Hackney Wick’, who runs the ’59 Club:

‘..Nine hundred have flocked to his youth club, intended for 70 members. Cliff Richard is vice-president; Adam Faith looks in. And Princess Margaret will be there on Thursday…’

March 22nd

Cliff Richard and The Shadows performs at the ‘Eton College Mission Youth Club’ aka the ’59 Club, Hackney Wick, watched by Princess Margaret and the Earl of Snowdon.

Afterwards, Cliff joins the Royal couple for tea, cakes and a chat. The princess tells him that she is going to see ‘The Young Ones’ at the weekend. Her husband and Cliff talk about their cars:

“They’re marvellously friendly people” (CR)

March

Cliff Richard gets Laryngitis and takes medicine recommended by Princess Margaret.

The Shadows have written music for a film called ‘The Boys’, which stars Jess Conrad and Wilfred Brambell, among others.

April 6th

Copy of ‘The Young Ones’ is sent to Princess Margaret, at Clarence House.

May 18th

‘Mr. Tom Mboya, Kenya's Minister of Labour, flew into Britain on May 18th in a new role - show business promoter. And at the end of his first day he had talked top American singing star, Eartha Kitt, into performing in Kenya in August and British “Hit Parade” singer, Cliff Richard, in October… both without fees. The reason behind Mr. Mboya’s show business trip is to enlist aid for the Kenya “Youth Helps Youth” campaign to ease the plight of the thousands of destitute children in his country….’

(www.itnsource.com)

October 29th

Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium has Cliff Richard and the Shadows on the bill, performing in front of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

‘..Seats were sold for up to 20 guineas each, and a record total of £40,000 was taken in aid of the Variety Artistes Benevolent Fund…’, according to The Illustrated London News.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:27 PM 

‘The earliest known complaint about Savile dates from 1963 and it is one of eight complaints that were never registered at the time they were made. This one occurred just as his television career was really beginning to take off. A male victim told his local police officer in Cheshire that Savile had raped him. He made the complaint the day after the assault. The officer told the victim to “forget about it” and that they should “move on”.

The officer did not record a report of what the victim had said - and so there was no investigation into the DJ.’

(Dominic Casciani / www.bbc.co.uk)

‘..He has met the Queen Mother, been presented to the Queen, shaken hands with the Duke of Edinburgh and several time chatted most cordially with Princess Margaret…..’

….Donald Zec on CR, Daily Mirror, January 7th 1963.…

February 11th

During their South African tour, Cliff Richard and The Shadows perform in a charity concert [organised by Tom Mboya], for delinquent children in Nairobi, Kenya.

Cliff visits The Starehe Boys’ Centre:

‘..The high and mighty have visited Starehe including Cliff Richard, Pele, Indira Gandhi, Robert Kennedy, Queen Beatrix, Princess Anne and Muhammad Ali to name but a few….’

(British Movietone | oldstarehians.org)

February 23rd

ABC-TV. Thank Your Lucky Stars: Brian Matthew (host) with The Beatles, Billie Davis, Carol Deene, Billy Fury, Jet Harris, Tony Meehan, Duffy Power, and Jimmy Savile.

(skidmore.edu/~gthompso/)

February

In the cast of the British film ‘Just For Fun’ are (among others):

Alan Freeman, David Jacobs, Jimmy Savile, Jet Harris, Tony Meehan.

May

John Lennon:

“We’ve always hated Cliff. He was everything we hated in pop. But when we met him we didn’t mind him at all. He was very nice. Now when people ask us if he’s a bit soft we say no. We still hate his records but he’s really very nice.”

May 7th

‘Lord Snowdon Arrives At The National Association Of Youth Clubs For A Lecture. . Rexmailpix. ’

Early-Summer (?)

The Royal Academy holds a preview of its Summer Exhibition, which includes (among many other works) a painting of Cliff Richard by Ruskin Spear, as well as portraits of The Queen and Princess Alexandra.

June

Two consecutive pages of Star Pictorial magazine feature Cliff Richard (‘CLIFF - The Inside Story’), Jimmy Savile and Alan Freeman.

Cliff is hanging out with Jehovah’s Witnesses, including Brian Locking, who had joined The Shadows (playing bass) in April 1962.

August 23rd

Pop Weekly magazine has an article about Cliff Richard and The Shadows’ worldwide chart success, and another article on Tony Meehan and Jet Harris, as well as a photograph of the duo with Jimmy Savile.

(foundontheshadows.blogspot.co.uk)

August

Cliff Tele-records a guest appearance for the ATV Midlands children’s ‘Tingha and Tucker’, he is seen in non singing role as Uncle Cliff on the Blackpool Beach.
October 14th

‘..Every birthday sees Cliff deluged with more and more greetings from his countless fans. This year, he has asked them to send donations for the Kenyan orphans the fan club has adopted….’

(British Pathé, ‘Cliff Richard Meets New Lady’)

December

Filming ‘Wonderful Life’ on the Canary Islands:

“By that time Cliff was keeping very much to himself and was very into discussing religion with Una Stubbs and Hank Marvin. That was when a lot of us became aware that Cliff had got religion and word got out.”

(Royston Ellis, CR:TB)

Unknown date

“I knew girls who would fantasise over the Cliffs of this world but would be quite happy to go and get a bit of leg over with their boyfriend. I was sitting with Cliff once in his dressing room and this kid walked in, lamped him and walked out again… There was a perfectly logical explanation: his girlfriend was besotted with Cliff and he had to sit with her while she was doing all this carrying on. So before he left the theatre he decided he was going to go back stage and give him a clump…”

(Jimmy Savile, IPS)

Unknown date this year

Cliff Richard is photographed with members of Tarvin Youth Club, Chester.

(University of Birmingham - collections)

‘…In the 1960s, police records and intelligence systems were somewhat ad hoc. Forces used different approaches depending on what worked for them. The Metropolitan Police's then paedophile unit used a paper ledger system for recording intelligence on suspects and lines of inquiry.

In 1964, an officer with the unit recorded information in this ledger about the DJ - information which the HMIC says could have been further investigated.

This is what the record said:

"BATTERSEA BRIDGE ROAD... - 4 older girls & youth [name redacted] (? Homosexual) live at - Jimmy SAVILLE (sic) well known disc jockey frequents - used by absconders from DUNCROFT APP SCHOOL"

So the Metropolitan Police had a record of the DJ which connected him with a location that officers suspected was used to commit sexual offences. Critically, the ledger names the Duncroft Approved School in Surrey which events have now shown became one of his main targets for victims.

The author of the intelligence entry knew of concerns about organised offenders targeting the school:

"DUNCROFT APP SCHOOL - Absconders - Vice Ring. [Name] ....living on (sic) immoral earnings of [names of two females identified as DUNCROFT girls]."

The HMIC found no evidence to suggest that the Met acted on this intelligence to get to the bottom of whether Savile was either a suspect working on his own or linked to an organised group of offenders. Crucially, the ledger entry was not recorded in a way that made it accessible to other forces or investigators as police later modernised their approach to sharing intelligence…’

(Dominic Casciani / www.bbc.co.uk)

January 1st

First edition of Top of The Pops, presented by Jimmy Savile, includes Cliff Richard & The Shadows ‘Don’t Talk To Him’, from the film set of ‘Wonderful Life’ in The Canaries.

‘VR/64/11 Top of the Pops 1 January 1964

"But the greatest number of objections was aimed at Jimmy Saville, mainly because of his appearance. 'What an odd looking individual' said a Solicitor; and others expanded this to call him 'a cross between a Beatle and an Aldwych farce curate', 'like a Presbyterian minister', 'like something from Doctor Who', 'mutton dressed as lamb', 'Really horrific. It ought to have an X certificate. And there was Mr. Saville presiding over the orgy like a Puritan clergyman resurrected from his own churchyard' (Retired Naval Officer)."’

(BBC TV Audience Research Report / drunkennessofthingsbeingvarious.blogspot, 21.01.2011)

January

CR buys a holiday home in Albufeira, Portugal, where Frank Ifield, Bruce Welch and Cliff’s manager, Peter Gormley already have houses.

February 25th

Cliff attends the Royal Film performance (‘Move Over Darling’) at the Leicester Square Odeon, London where he is introduced to the Duke of Edinburgh.

February

Cliff Richard’s former girlfriend, Jackie Irving joins the Lionel Blair dancers:

“I think that for Cliff it was a very platonic relationship. I don’t know what Jackie would have called it. It wasn’t physical. She was just the girl that he would take to things.”

(Friend of CR, CR:TB)

April 26th [? no more info, possibly May 3rd]

The Shadows are photographed with Jimmy Savile.

May 3rd

The New Musical Express Pollwinners Concert at Empire Pool, Wembley, with hosts David Jacobs and Jimmy Savile. Savile introduces The Beatles to the audience, and tells them: “Nowhere in the whole world has such a concert been assembled.”

Among the leading pop acts on the bill are Cliff and The Shadows, who receive awards from David Jacobs.

July 2nd

‘Wonderful Life’ premiered at the Leicester Square Empire in London, in aid of the National Association of Youth Clubs Expansion Fund. Attending, in addition to Cliff Richard / The Shadows and Robert Morley, were Princess Alexandra and her husband, Angus Ogilvy.

November 2nd

Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium. Among the acts performing in front of the Queen are Jimmy Tarbuck, Cilla Black and Cliff Richard and The Shadows.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:34 PM 

April

For eight days, Cliff Richard holidays on the Norfolk Broads with the Young Crusaders group from Finchley. He is (allegedly) treated as just another crew member.

September 14th

Cliff Richard and Jimmy Savile are among winners presented with awards at a Variety Club luncheon, at the Savoy Hotel, London. They pose together, and with Savile’s mother, smiling for the cameras.

October 24th

National Association of Youth Clubs Awards at the London Palladium, attended by Cliff Richard in his capacity as president of the NAYC National Members’ Council. Awards were presented by Angus Ogilvy.

‘ATV broadcast The New London Palladium Show with The Bachelors and Cliff Richard (unannounced appearance) – with Jimmy Tarbuck: Standing In The Corner….’

October 28th

Cliff and The Shadows take part in French film industry’s Gala concert, in Paris, in the presence of Princess Grace of Monaco.

November 21st

ATV The New London Palladium Show with host Jimmy Tarbuck and…

Cliff Richard - Fly Me To The Moon

The Shadows – The Warlord

Cliff Richard & The Shadows – Memories are Made of This, Fall In Love With You, Wind Me Up (Let Me Go), hits medley

November 24th

“I now arrange my work to have weekends free for youth activities. All my closest friends are teachers.”

(CR, Daily Express)

“I think that one of the things that attracted him to our group was the fact that there were no girls to bother him. We were an all-male group. If girls did join us they were on the fringe.”

(Peter Graves, CR:TB)

December 4th

Another Cheshunt Boys’ School charity show is undertaken by Cliff and The Shadows.

December

Two of Cliff Richard’s sisters have become Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Unknown date c.1964 - 1966

A ‘crack team of reporters’ at British tabloid newspaper, The People carry out an investigation into Jimmy Savile that highlights his preference for underage girls:

“..It was specific. They had names. The standard practice with The People… was everything had to be evidenced with statements that needed to be agreed by lawyers and so on. That was the standard drill.”

The reason that editor Sam Campbell spiked the expose was that:

“..Jimmy Savile wrote a weekly column for the paper.”

(George Tremlett, IPS)

March 12th

‘…His dark brown eyes lit up, and his voice bubbled with enthusiasm when he told me about the Christian Youth Movement of which he is a keen member.

“It’s a way of life, really, a moral way. When I’ve got the time, I help out. Most weekends I take a load of the younger members to the zoo or something like that - it’s great fun.”….’

(Frankie McGowan / Petticoat)

March

Having worked in Kenya, where he’d been posted by British Forces Network, Chris Denning returned to the U.K., where he:

‘…became the first announcer on the new BBC-2 television channel. Radio Luxembourg offered him a job.. and he was with the “station of the stars” for nearly two years. In March 1966 he came back to Britain and, after meeting Ed Stewart in a club, was invited to join Radio London….’

(offshoreradio.co.uk)

April 3rd

Cliff and The Shadows head the line-up at the Daily Express Record Star Show, Empire Pool, Wembley, in aid of Stars Organisation for Spastics. Rolf Harris is among the other artists on the bill.

April

“I plan to go camping in Cornwall for a fortnight with the Crusader Union, and then I hope to have two or three weeks at my villa in Portugal… It’s perfectly true that I would like to take up teaching at some time in the future…”

Early-May

New Musical Express Poll Winners’ Concert takes place, presented by Jimmy Savile, who is also voted ‘Top Disc Jockey’. Cliff Richard is ‘Best Male Singer’ and ‘British Vocal personality’.

(www.nme.com)

May 26th

‘..At the village of Albufeira, in Portugal, I saw the three villas owned by Cliff Richard, Frank Ifield and the Shadows. The locals like these entertainers. “Seen-yor Cleef” and “Seen-yor Frank” are big favourites….’

(Gordon Irving / The Stage)

June 16th

Cliff Richard talks to the crowd, accompanied by Billy Graham, at Earl’s Court Exhibition Centre, London, both during and after Graham’s crusade meeting at the venue:

‘..It was at a Billy Graham ‘crusade’ event, in front of 27,000 people at Earls Court in London, that the star announced his newfound faith.

Word of his conversion had spread to Graham’s organisers, who invited him to be a special guest…

Dressed in a jacket and tie and wearing glasses, Sir Cliff spoke from the lectern, crediting his parents for bringing him up on the Bible.

“I can only say to people who are not Christians that until you have taken the step of asking Christ into your life, your life is not worthwhile..”…’

(Mail Online, 08.2014)

“..Some people don’t like Billy Graham because of his dogma, but you have got to be dogmatic with religion. You have got to say black or white. He does that and some people take umbrage….’

(CR / Record Mirror 02.07.1966)

June 18th

Cliff Richard’s mother, Dorothy marries their former chauffeur, Derek Bodkin (who is younger than her son), at Epping Register Office:

“When my mother married I knew I could do what I wanted - which I did. I moved in with Bill and his mother. I wanted a different scene.”

June

“I did a Billy Graham study course of about five weeks…”

July 2nd

‘..When he has finished filming, Cliff will be considering flying off to Portugal for a holiday in his own villa. A regular visitor to that part of the world, Cliff told me how he came to “discover” the country.

“Muriel Young told me all about Portugal five years ago,” he revealed. “You can live there for almost nothing. Melons cost ninepence and fish are practically nothing. The Portuguese government won’t allow people to build within a certain distance of the beach, so you have a lot of unspoiled coastline.”….’

(Record Mirror / foundontheshadows.blogspot.co.uk)

September 10th

“..I believe there’s only one way to live and that is by the Bible. It’s the only source which is completely reliable and I set my own life on this…”

(CR, Fabulous 208)

September 20th

While working for Caroline North, Mick Luvzit ‘..met Janet Terrett, the sister of former Caroline DJ Ray Teret. They began dating and there was talk of marriage. Tony Prince suggested that Mick should have the ceremony performed at sea, on the Caroline ship. This would be both romantic and, of course, very good promotion for the station. Broadcast live on Caroline North, this unique wedding (was) performed by the ship's Captain, Martin Gips, with a live commentary from Graham Webb. Unfortunately thick fog caused transport problems for the guests and the bride's parents weren't able to make it out to the ship. As a result, Janet was given away by her brother Ray instead of her father.’

(The Pirate Radio Hall Of Fame - Mick Luvzit)

October 22nd

Cliff Richard performs two gospel songs at the Lee Abbey rally in the Albert Hall, watched by ‘a bevy of bishops’ (the Archbishop of York was one); ‘representatives of various missionary societies,.. and Mr. Jeremy Thorpe, Liberal MP for North Devon…’

Cliff reportedly held the position of ‘assistant leader of the Finchley Crusaders’ at the time, and had been invited to take part in the event by the Bishop of Coventry.

(Church Times, 28.10.1966)

November 13th

CR is to be confirmed as a member of the Church of England and recently lunched with Canon Frederic Hood, Chancellor of St. Paul’s Cathedral.

(Sunday Express)

November 24th

BBC1 ‘I’m Going To Ask You To Get Up Out Of Your Seats’ (9:30 - 10:30 pm) - a documentary of Billy Graham in London with Cliff Richard at Empire Pool, Wembley.

December 6th

‘..It was of course the Billy Graham appearance that hit the headlines. But a few months later.. he was quietly confirmed by the Bishop of Willesden in his own church, the church where he helps with the youth fellowship: “Defend, Oh Lord, this thy child, Cliff.”….’

(Church Times, 13.10.1967)

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:39 PM 

Unknown date this year

‘PHAB Weekend Reunion 1967: Meeting Angus Ogilvy'

Photographs of a party for members of the first PHAB training course at Devonshire Street House, attended by Angus Ogilvy.’

January 14th

“..When I give up this life, it’s not going to be a complete break; I don’t think people realise that I’ll still be making records. I just want to be an ordinary teacher in an ordinary secondary school. I don’t care if some people do think I’m a phoney, they’re entitled to their opinions.”

(CR, New Musical Express)

May 7th

Cliff Richard takes part in NME Poll Winners’ Concert at Wembley’s Empire Pool, having been voted ‘Britain’s Top Singer’ - the show’s presenter is Jimmy Savile.

(www.nme.com)

June 1st

Death of Derek McCulloch aka Uncle Mac of BBC Radio’s ‘Children’s Hour’.

June 20th

Cliff Richard and Billy Graham are photographed together on the set of the film ‘Two A Penny’, at Goldhawk Studios:

‘..Pop star has his first major dramatic role in the film, with Dora Bryan playing as his mother. Billy Graham will make a guest appearance in a sequence filmed during his 1966 Greater London Crusade at Earl’s Court’ (Press Association)

June 27th

‘Cliff Richard, the singer, will tonight take part in the Billy Graham crusade in London which is being relayed by closed circuit television all over the country…’

(Glasgow Herald)

July 9th

Cliff Richard and Billy Graham appear on ABC TV’s religious program ‘Looking For An Answer’.

July 16th

Cliff Richard and Paul Jones appear on ABC TV’s religious program ‘Looking For An Answer’.

August 19th

Cliff’s ex-girlfriend, Jackie Irving marries Adam Faith at Caxton Hall. The reception at Upper Court, Cobham, Surrey is attended by Cliff’s manager Peter Gormley; TV producer Mike Mansfield, and Lionel Blair.

September 7th

On BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:30 - 8:00 pm), with host Jimmy Savile, Cliff Richard performs ‘The Day I Met Marie’, and is mobbed by fans.

October 7th

On ‘The Val Doonican Show’ (BBC 1), Cliff performs two songs solo, and one in a duet with Rolf Harris.

October 13th

‘WHEN a girl gets herself boxed up in a crate and delivered to your dressing-room at the theatre, you know that you have arrived. This is just one of the fan-antics that have been Cliff Richard’s happy lot since he hit the big time. But Cliff is kind to his fans. He likes signing autographs. “He is amused,” says his biographer, “at the tricks some girls get up to in order to see him or touch him.”….’

(Alan Shadwick / Church Times)

October 29th

“People who sleep around make the most unhappy marriages - pre-marital sex is unhealthy to the mind.”

(CR, Daily Mirror)

November

‘Cliff Richard, seen here with the Bishop of Willesden and Prebendary Donald Lynch, Chief Secretary of the Church Army, recently attended a Church Army rally at Copland School, Wembley, where he witnessed to his Christian faith and sang three songs’ (Church Times, 24.11.1967)

November 30th

On BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:30 - 8:00 pm), hosted by Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn, Cliff Richard performs ‘All My Love’.

December 6th

He is confirmed as a member of Church of England by the Bishop of Willesden, Graham Leonard, at St. Paul’s Church, Finchley, North London.

December 26th

A Top of The Pops edition (5:35 - 6:10 pm), presented by Jimmy Savile, Pete Murray and Alan Freeman includes Cliff Richard performing ‘All My Love’.

‘…his lifestyle wasn’t extravagant. His biggest luxuries were the houses, a six-berth boat on the Norfolk Broads and his two cars…

His holidays were now taken in August with his Crusader friends. The group was always exclusively male and bachelor, and became known as the ‘holiday gang’…’

January 28th

“I’ve lived for years with people saying that I’m a poof but I don’t give a damn what they say. My best friends know me, and that’s all that matters…”

(CR, Sunday Times)

March 12th

Performing this year’s British entry for ‘Song For Europe’ - ‘Congratulations’ - on the TV show ‘Cilla’, Cliff Richard makes what has been called a ‘Satanic Hand Sign’ (after singing “..I used to think that happiness hadn’t been invented…”).

March 14th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:30 - 8:00 pm), hosted by Jimmy Savile and Tom Edwards includes Cliff Richard performing his Eurovision entry ‘Congratulations’ (also, Cilla Black ‘Step Inside Love’).

March 29th

It is reported that Cliff Richard is one of the sponsors, along with Andrew Cruickshank and the Bishops of Liverpool and Southwell, of ‘..the Generation Club, a group of Christian students at Durham University who want to stimulate an interest in the Christian message among other young people both in the University and outside…’ (Church Times)

March 30th

At the end of the last programme in the series of 'The Rolf Harris Show', Rolf sings 'Congratulations' in an ensemble performance, then wishes Cliff good luck for the next week’s event at the Albert Hall, before finishing the show with 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport'.

April 1st

Rediffusion Playhouse: A Matter Of Diamonds (8:30 - 9:30 pm) -

Cliff Richard plays Riley Walker, a smooth con-man out to steal diamond necklace.

April 11th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:30 - 8:00 pm); hosts: Jimmy Savile and Lulu, includes
Cliff Richard ‘Congratulations’.

April

Cliff holidays on the Norfolk Broads with the Crusader Union. Days are spent boating, evenings devoted to Bible classes and discussions.

May

Roger Moore is the presenter this year at the NME Poll Winners’ Concert, held at Wembley.

Cliff Richard wins the ‘British Vocal Personality’ category, and Jimmy Savile is ‘Top Disc Jockey’, again.

(www.nme.com)

June 20th

Premiere of Billy Graham’s production ‘Two A Penny’ at the Prince Charles Cinema, London.

June 27th

Review of ‘Evangelism Inc.’ by G.W. Target published in The Listener:

‘..Believing that Christianity is either a religion of freedom and free will, or nothing, Mr Target quarrels with evangelists.. on these grounds: they use commercial techniques to win, convert and count souls; they exploit ignorance and trust; they attempt ‘psychoseduction’ of the young…

And so to Dr Billy, whom some call the ‘Lord’s Anointed’, the scourge of ‘pinks, lavenders and reds’, with his free Fords and Hilton credit card. If one has not already seen his methods taken apart, the revelations of how crowds are softened up, how ‘inquirers’ are marked down by ‘counsellors’ with Personal Commitment Kits are surprising enough. Perhaps it is a shade un-Christian of the author to keep quoting from the sales instructions of the Fuller brush company for which Dr Graham was once a door-knocker (‘It is not what you say but the sincerity with which you say it’, ‘Never sell one brush if you can land the Gift Set’) but the temptation was obviously enormous….’

(E.S. Turner)

July 22nd

Cliff flies to U.S. for 6 week stay, including one week of discussions with film companies, and time spent (maybe 4-5 weeks) in California with four members of his ‘holiday gang’.

September

He is living with teacher Bill Latham and Bill’s mother.

‘On Sunday afternoons, Cliff is the assistant leader in the Crusaders Union - an inter-denominational religious group that teaches boys of 8-18’.

October 19th

Jimmy Savile participates in the TV chat show ‘Frost On Saturday’, seated between David Frost and Mary Whitehouse.

(Rex)

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:49 PM 

Unknown date this year

William Edward Dazely dies of coronary thrombosis ‘..never knowing that Cliff Richard was his grandson and never having told his family about his wife and daughters that he had left behind in Ambala in 1924.…’

January

‘…In another error-strewn letter written from the jail to Mr Pearson in January 1969, Ronnie reveals his pleasure at receiving a letter from singer Cliff Richard.

He wrote: "John, I had a verry nice letter from Cliff Ritchards. I thought it was marvoulas of him to write to me at a time like this.

"He must be a wonderfull person to go to the trouble at a time like this. Their are still a lot of nice people left around."….’

(‘Kray twins memorabilia sold at auction’, The Telegraph, 20.10.2010)

February 8th

‘..agrees to take part in a 12-minute colour film titled ‘Give Us This Day’ - a documentary about the John Groom Children’s Homes in Kent. Cliff is to sing a song called ‘Thank you’ in the picture, which is to be available free of charge to schools, clubs and voluntary organisations…’

February

‘LICHFIELD

Locked In and Out.- Young people were queuing in freezing weather to hear Cliff Richard, Cindy Kent and David Winter take part in a youth guest night service at Holy Trinity, West Bromwich, on Sunday. After eight hundred had been packed into the seven hundred-seater building, the police locked the doors - leaving one hundred outside’ (Church Times, 21.02.1969)

March 8th

BBC1 The Rolf Harris Show features Cliff Richard singing ‘Good Times’ and ‘We Kiss In A Shadow’ (pre-recorded).

April 7th

‘CLIFF RICHARD took his Bible reading to the water yesterday when he led an armada of five motor cruisers along the Norfolk Broads.

Last night, with 27 boys from the Crusaders’ Union on a secret quest for peace and quiet, he prayed.

In his six-berth boat Pomander it was the end to a blissful long weekend for Cliff after two years fraught with worry as rival forces fought for his mind and body.

On one hand the permissive world of pop; on the other the world of spiritual regeneration….’

(Adella Lithman, Daily Express, 08.04.1969)

May 2nd

‘Cliff Richard Enjoys Holiday On Norfolk Broads In His Motor Cruiser’ - short film clip made by Anglia Television.

(www.itnsource.com)

May 11th

Cliff takes part in the NME Poll Winners’ Concert:

‘Despite a list of winners not appearing in the mag, the Poll Winners concert went ahead as planned. Held again at Wembley's Empire Pool, 10,000 music fans crammed in to the venue.. and did a lot of hollering, so much so that Cliff Richard described them as "the world's greatest audience."

Hosted by Jimmy Savile ("in yellow jacket") and Tony Blackburn who does a very showbiz turn as co-host. Our man says: "Blackburn bounces back on stage carrying a larger than usual 'Tony Blackburn Joke Book', telling us now they've just built a lock on the River Thames and isn't that ridiculous...who'd steal the River Thames?!"

Wow. Cliff Richard caused: "more excitement, more sheer hysteria, scream and adulation than any one before him." Bee Gee Robin Gibb makes a surprise appearance, joining Cliff for a run through of 'Congratulations'….’

(www.nme.com)

May 24th

CR flies to U.S.A. for discussions on forthcoming Billy Graham film that he is helping to write the music for.

June 5th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:30 - 8:00 pm), with host Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard performing ‘Big Ship’.
June

“Much of the credit for Cliff’s staying power must go to the way his career has been guided by Pete Gormley, his manager, who stays so much in the shadows…”

(Hank Marvin, The Shadows)

‘Peter Gormley… A friend and father figure to Cliff…’

(Steve Turner, CR:TB)

August 6th

Cliff appears on ‘The Sooty Show’ (a popular children’s TV show).

August 14th

‘Series for Cliff

CLIFF RICHARD is to have a new BBC series in the New Year. His immediate plans include a tour of Japan and a holiday in Portugal.’

(The Stage)

August 29th

DJ Jimmy Savile attends PHAB Dance - London.

August / September

CR holidays in Portugal and then with the Crusader camp on Herm in the Channel Islands.

December 23rd

Cliff goes carol-singing with the Crusaders to raise money for Fegan’s Homes.

December 31st

BBC1 Pop Go The Sixties! (10:35 - 11:50 pm), with hosts Jimmy Savile and Elfi von Kalckreuth (ZDF-TV, West Germany), includes among others:

Cilla Black – Anyone Had A Heart

The Shadows - Apache

Cliff Richard & The Shadows – Bachelor Boy

Cliff Richard - Congratulations

Unknown date this year

‘Photographs of PHAB members, Princess Alexandra, Angus Ogilvy and others outside Thatched Lodge in Richmond Park, London, the home of Princess Alexandra and Angus Ogilvy. Eighty members of the PHAB club at Devonshire Street House met outside the lodge for a sponsored walk around Richmond Park to raise money for their PHAB club.’

Prince Philip Centre PHAB Club, Scott Hall, Leeds 7 opened by Prince Philip (1969?), for weekly meetings.

March 3rd

Cliff Richard attends a party at No.10 Downing Street, given by the Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, in honour of West Germany Chancellor Willy Brandt. (Also there are Una Stubbs and Sandie Shaw)

March 12th

Top of The Pops, hosted by Jimmy Savile, features Cliff Richard and Hank Marvin’s ‘Joy of Living’.

March 15th

BBC 1 TV 7.20pm

An appeal by Cliff Richard
President of Members' Council of National Association of Youth Clubs

PHAB (pronounced ' fab ') - a word coined by the young people themselves to describe the integration, through shared experiences, of young Physically-Handicapped and their Able-Bodied contemporaries - needs funds to expand its vital work in the community.

Donations, preferably by crossed p.o. or cheque, to: [address removed].

‘Photographs of a visit to Devonshire Street House by Cliff Richard following his appeal on television for donations to help the development of PHAB clubs and courses.’

March 31st

Cliff Richard Arrives For A Week's Holiday On Broads - a short film clip.

Synopsis text: With boys from a North London Youth Club. GVs Cliff Richard and boys arriving and preparing to board cruiser. CU Name in cruiser 'Pamander'. CU Cliff Richard. GV Cliff and party on the boat.

Administrator: Anglia Television

(www.itnsource.com)

May 4th

‘PHAB Party - Jimmy Savile tries on the outfit designed by Miss Jenny Jordan (second left) aged 16 from Tisley, Manchester, and made by Miss Madge McGhie aged 22 from London, after it had been presented to him by Mr Angus Ogilvy (l).’

(Press Association)

Date uncertain

‘Photographs of Jimmy Savile and Angus Ogilvy with young people at an event relating to PHAB. One photograph is dated to 1970 (showing Jimmy Savile signing the visitor book at Devonshire Street House), but it is not clear whether this photograph is the same date as the other photographs.’

May 11th

Cliff begins in the role of Clive Harrington in Peter Shaffer’s ‘Fine Finger Exercise’, at New Theatre, Bromley. It is…

‘..about the ‘deep friendship’ between an artistic student and a tutor.

Controversial when first produced in 1958 because of its veiled treatment of homosexual affection, it was a strange choice of subject matter for Cliff’s stage debut in a dramatic role…’

May 25th

On BBC 1, Cliff Richard introduces ‘Disney Time’ (7.30pm), followed by ‘The Rolf Harris Show’ (8.15pm).

June 21st

‘..Cliff is married to Christ. And he wants his marriage to last.

“I’m in dire need of Christ,” he says.

“We’re all basically bad - all men are similar. You can be the Pope or the Queen, but as it says in the Bible, all men are sinners.”…

If anyone suggests that worldly goods are at odds with his Christian ideals, Cliff invokes Solomon.

“There’s nothing wrong with having worldly goods, it’s the worldly goods having you, and I don’t believe my worldly goods own me at all,” he says. “Solomon was rich and he was God’s big man at the time.”….’

(David Bentley / The Sydney Morning Herald)

July

Cliff visits South Africa, invited to speak and sing in Durban at a series of meetings sponsored by Christian businessmen, aimed at the country’s youth.

August

Herm, the Channel Islands.

VS of man looking over herd of cows in farmyard. Shots of him walking in countryside. Shots of three girls drinking at a table overlooking a beach. VS of people on beach. SV of man looking out to sea. VS of small church. Goods and people are loaded onto a boat. VS from boat sailing out. Goods and passengers offloaded. Various good shots pop star Cliff Richard playing a rough game of cricket at a campsite. GV of Camp. MS of boy getting water, water bucket has 'Crusader Camp' on the side. VS of Cliff helping with the washing up. Shots of Herm Harbour. Goods driven up the quay on tractor. Travel shots coming in to dock. Ext. The Ship restaurant. VS man takes a look at a Bull being led down a lane.

(FILM ID:3329.12 / BRITISH PATHÉ)

‘..At a reception in London to launch the record the guests were told that Cliff had just returned from spending two weeks at a Christian Crusader camp. Earlier he had flown to Durban at the invitation of the Bishop of Natal to lead a ten-day series of talks directed at young audiences.

In his spare time Cliff has entertained many young people on a boat that he moors on the Norfolk Broads. Once, when I was interviewing him and choosing a picture, he said: “I like this one myself, it shows my Crusader badge.”….’

(Pennyfields, Church Times, 21.08.1970)

September 18th

‘NEW vice-presidents of the Boys Brigade are Sir Cyril Black, formerly its treasurer; Mr. Cliff Richard, the singer; and Mr. Terry Neill, a former member, now team manager of Hull City Football Club’ (Church Times)

September 20th

‘Cliff Richard is to appear at St. Jude’s Church, Southsea, on September 20, when he is to sing and give an address at a youth service.’

(The Stage, 27.08.1970)

September 24th

Cliff Richard’s ‘I Ain't Got Time Anymore’ features on an edition of Top of The Pops presented by Jimmy Savile.

‘..He spoke out against homosexual practice and began to identify himself more with Mary Whitehouse, who, as president of the Viewers and Listeners Association, had been fighting a long battle against what she saw as declining moral standards in the media…’

October 9th

Cliff Richard receives an annual award for ‘Outstanding Contribution to Religious Broadcasting and Light Entertainment’ from the National Viewers’ and Listeners’ Association. He is photographed with television personality Malcolm Muggeridge and Mary Whitehouse, the Association's General Secretary.

November 8th

Cliff Richard, Cat Stevens and Peter Noone are featured guests on Dave Lee Travis’s Radio 1 show.

November 11th

Receives a cheque for £61 that has been presented for the physically handicapped to the pop star by three members of the Monkseaton Ranger Guides.

Cliff visits and is photographed in hospital with a ‘..little girl, Matilda Mwale, from Zambia’ who has been flown ‘..to London for hospital treatment’ paid for by ‘TEAR Fund of the Evangelical Alliance’….’ (Church Times, 20.11.1970)

December

‘..It was through study that his belief had eventually evolved, and it came when those helping him were able to persuade him that Christ definitely did exist. He then saw Christianity as the true relationship with God and was ready to say: “Alright, Jesus, come on in. If you are real, take over.”

He said his role as an evangelist was superficial, in that what was really important was what happened after he had talked to groups of young people. A problem today among them was that it was a distortion of the truth by which they judged Christianity.’

(Norman Hare, Church Times, 24.12.1970)

December 19th

Artwork with depictions of Jimmy Savile; Cliff Richard; Tom Jones; Mick Jagger and Elvis Presley are on the cover of the Christmas edition of New Musical Express.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 6:57 PM 

‘..There were other clues perhaps the BBC should have spotted then and which will no doubt form part of its own inquiry now. A News of the World investigation in 1971 accused Top of the Pops’ official photographer Harry Goodwin, a close friend of Savile’s, of taking pornographic photos of girls backstage and of even showing pornographic movies. Mr Goodwin carried on working on Top of the Pops until 1973. Asked about the newspaper’s allegations, Mr Goodwin, 88, from Manchester, said: “I don’t know what you are talking about. I don’t want anything to do with this.” His agent threatened The Sunday Telegraph with a libel action if his name was mentioned. There is no suggestion Mr Goodwin was involved in the sexual abuse of under age girls.

Savile’s years of abuse at the BBC were prolific….’

(Robert Mendick, Jasper Copping and Patrick Sawer, The Telegraph, 13.10.2012)

Cliff visits a co-educational grammar school in London:

‘..I was a member of the current affairs society at Woodhouse Grammar School in the north London suburb of Finchley. The Christian union suggested that we invite Cliff to speak at a joint meeting of the two school clubs.

To our delight, he agreed to come and there was a fantastic turnout. Certainly, never before had so many Jewish pupils attended a Christian union meeting. He was a very entertaining speaker and came across as a genuinely nice guy…..’

(Marian Lebor / Esra Magazine)

January 24th

As part of ‘The World About Us’, CR provides commentary for ‘Lollipop Tree’, which is about a home for 800 children at the foot of the Himalayas.

March

The sermon at Stanmore Baptist Church, North London is replaced by Cliff answering questions from Bill Latham, friend and Educational Officer of the Evangelical Alliance Relief Fund:

‘The topics range from ‘Did Una Stubbs wear a wig?’ through to ‘Drug taking and suicides in show business’ and ‘Cliff possibly being seen as a “Jeckyl and Hyde” figure’…’

CR buys a house in Essex for the Christian Arts Centre.

April 11th

Cliff is, again, one of the guests on Dave Lee Travis’s Radio 1 show.

April - May

Jimmy Savile spends a week ‘touring the country for the National Association of Youth Clubs…’

(IPS)

May

It is reported that ‘Churchmen’ are ‘to study pornography’. Among those who have ‘signified their willingness to be associated with a study of pornography being sponsored by the Earl of Longford and some of his friends’ are:

The Archbishop of York; the Bishops of Blackburn, Leicester and Stepney; Right Rev. Christopher Butler; Professor Norman Anderson; Lord Soper; Sir Frederick Catherwood; Lord Shawcross; Mr. Malcolm Muggeridge and Mr. Cliff Richard’

(Church Times, 28.05.1971)

August 12th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:25 - 8:00 pm), presented by Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard performing ‘Flying Machine’.

September 19th

‘Jimmy Savile takes part in a treasure trail race from the Post Office tower. Jumping down some stairs in a sack in aid of the National Association of Youth Clubs.’

‘NAYC Diamond Jubilee Celebrations - Dynomania Treasure Trail - Post Office Tower - London - 1971

Radio One DJ Jimmy Savile talks to one of the organisers of the National Association of Youth Hostel's "Dynomania Treasure Trail", a race for charity that started from the Post Office Tower in London.’

‘Radio One DJ Jimmy Savile with a team of young ladies taking part in the "Dynomania Treasure Trail" organised by the Youth Hostel Association, that started from the Post Office Tower, and lasts for 150 miles, including obstacles to overcome, and is completed using any and all means except cars.’

(Press Association)

September 20th

‘NAYC - Dynomania Treasure Trail - Leicester Square - London - 1971

Radio One DJ Jimmy with the winners of the National Association of Youth Clubs' "Dynomania Treasure Trail". Team "Alma Lyn Ro", from Slough in Buckinghamshire were presented with HI-Fi equipment worth 130 each as their first prize by Mr Savile at the ceremony "Bumpers" disco in Leicester Square, London.’

(Press Association)

September 25th

‘Nearly 45,000 people gathered in London's Trafalgar square today for the anti-pornography "Festival of Light" rally organised by Malcolm Muggeridge and pop singer Cliff Richard. The crowd came from all parts of Britain for the fight against what they called "moral pollution". Bus loads of police stood by during the demonstration following earlier threats of disruption by the homosexual Gay Liberation Front and London's underground radicals. But the festival proceeded without trouble, except for a stink bomb and a small group of counter-demonstrators. The crowd heard speeches from Mr. Muggeridge and Mrs. Mary Whitehouse before joining with their campaign leaders in songs.’

(www.itnsource.com)

November 1st-5th

Cliff features on Dave Lee Travis’s show, again (BBC Radio 1).

November 4th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:25 - 8:00 pm), presented by Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard’s ‘Sing A Song Of Freedom’.

November 6th

Cliff Richard and Jimmy Tarbuck are guests of Cilla Black on her BBC 1 show ‘Cilla’.

January

In the first instalment of a UK Sunday tabloid newspaper series on Jimmy Savile’s life, he reminisces about his early days and marvels at how far he has come.

Apparently, he had never imagined in his “super, starving days” that he would one day sit on the throne at St. James’s Palace and, on another drop cigar ash on the Queen Mother’s carpet.

Nor, referring to Angus Ogilvy did he envisage early on:

“..that perfect Princess Alexandra’s husband would bash his head on a cupboard in the infamous Savile’s Travels caravan…”

(IPS / The People, 16.01.1972)

March 11th

Cliff Richard gives a religious concert for Tear Fund at Manchester’s new Century Hall.

March 25th

The Metropolitan Police promotion of a national young people’s ‘Help the Police’ competition is assisted by Cliff Richard; Olivia Newton-John; Tony Blackburn, and Emperor Rosko.

April 3rd

‘Afloat Again

Cliff Richard and 27 boys from the London Crusaders Club of Finchley were on the Norfolk Broads yesterday for their fifth holiday afloat.’

(Daily Express, 04.04.1972)

April 4th

Administrator: Anglia Television

Clip title: Cliff Richard Sets Out For Broads Holiday

Synopsis text: With twenty seven boys from a London Youth Club. MS Cliff arriving at Broads and walking to cruiser. MCU FINEWIND name in stern. MS Cliff loading boat.

(www.itnsource.com)

April 13th

“It depends of course, but over the past year or so, I'd estimate Cliff's been averaging two or three meetings a week. About one-fourth of his week is spent on specifically Christian work. He goes to some church nearly every Sunday and maybe you'll hear about it, probably you won't ... and then Cliff will talk to a school meeting of 20 people and no one ever will know about it except those 20 people. Cliff doesn't like to give this aspect of his life too much publicity…

When Cliff and I sit down to figure which invitations he can accept, it's just a matter of selecting which ones can make the best use of what Cliff has to offer: his facility to communicate with people. We generally prefer going to a church that is 'live,' has some switched-on people, than to a church that's dead. Or maybe we'll decide on a church because of its strategic location or symbolic significance.”

(Bill Latham, Rolling Stone)

May 10th

‘Cliff’s rough passage

Pop singing star CLIFF RICHARD had a rough passage when he gave a concert in Lancaster University Great Hall, arranged by Industrial Chaplain MARTIN HIGGINBOTHAM, on May 10, in aid of Outreach to Industry and the Christian relief project TEAR.

The disturbances were caused by members of the LANCASTER GAY LIBERATION FRONT, who challenged Cliff Richard’s religious beliefs, and held up the proceedings by shouting and stamping.

Eventually they agreed to allow the concert to go on, to the relief of a thousand strong audience.

Support was given by a Sussex singing duo ISMAIL and ANDY and the TRUSTY FOLK, Liverpool.

Afterwards Cliff Richard spoke to representatives of the Gay Liberation and before this gave an extra show to some 800 clamouring fans who could not get in to the first concert.’

(The Stage, 18.05.1972)

Summer

Cliff Richard and his holiday gang spend some time in Israel.
September 20th

‘LORD PORN’S VERDICT

…The survey is the result of sixteen months’ work by Lord Longford’s 52-strong commission, which included clergymen, lawyers and psychiatrists - as well as pop singer Cliff Richard and disc jockey Jimmy Savile.

The team say in their report - expected to be a best-seller - that they are not prudes or killjoys.

But they warn that children’s imaginations could be poisoned by some of the publications circulating in schools….’

(Daily Mirror front page)

The paperback book ‘Pornography: The Longford Report’ has a Final List Of Members on pages 5 and 6 (preceding the Acknowledgements), which includes the names of Cliff Richard and Jimmy Savile.

Chapter Seventeen: Broadcasting, on pages 214-236, is attributed to:

Malcolm Muggeridge - Chairman
Sara Binney
Dennis Delderfield
Jeremy Murray-Brown
Cliff Richard
Jimmy Savile
Peregrine Worsthorne

Cliff Richard:

“..Where there’s dishonesty and immorality, that’s where Christians ought to be. But I don’t believe that show business is more corrupt than other walks of life; it’s just that we get more publicity. You’ll find immorality among bankers, politicians, teachers, all the ‘respectable’ professions, but perhaps they cover it up better!….”

(CRihow)

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:04 PM 

Unknown date this year

Cliff Richard proffers his thoughts on David Bowie:

“Here’s a genuine, married man dressing up as a woman. The impact is not on people like myself, or those in my age group, but on youngsters who will be tomorrow’s people. What will those ten- and eleven-year-olds think of someone who’s a man dressing up as a woman at a pop show? Danny La Rue is different. He’s a female impersonator, getting laughs.

But what is this Bowie man/woman image on the stage doing to young people? He upsets me as a man. There’s a great responsibility all of us singers have to the ten-year-olds and some of us aren’t living up to it.”

(CRihow)

‘Rolf Harris was today linked to Jimmy Savile as it emerged he joined the paedophile on a sick visit to the psychiatric hospital where the DJ habitually abused patients.

One of Savile's victims said Harris ogled vulnerable women as they undressed at Broadmoor in 1973, where the former Top of the Pops star attacked scores of people.

Alison Pink remembered the pair suddenly turning up on a women's ward just as patients were preparing to strip in the corridor and said they were 'birds of a feather'….’

(MailOnline, 01.07.2014)

January 19th

Cardiff Young Nazarenes present an evening ‘Dinner in aid of T.E.A.R. Fund’, at the City Hall, Cardiff. Special guests are Cliff Richard and Bill Latham.

February

A very controversial documentary about Andy Warhol is to be broadcast on British television, about which Cliff Richard has some thoughts:

“I haven’t seen any of Warhol’s films, but as far as I’m concerned they stink of titillation. I saw a film recently about a child rapist, The Offence. It was violent and showed a man being beaten to death, but it was far more valid because of the impression it made. I can still remember the scenes vividly.

As far as I can see it’s better to learn about sex from parents or by personal experience. Mary Whitehouse and Norris McWhirter had every right to stop that film. Mrs. Whitehouse is ten years ahead of her time. The cinema medium is being wasted. Morally, something has got to be done about it. There’s a need for censorship.”

(CRihow / CR: TCC)

March 7th

An advertisement is published in Church Times, prominently employing a picture of Cliff, which invites people to ‘..write today for your free record on which Cliff Richard introduces the information about Spre-e ’73...’

In addition to this advert (and, possibly others), 500,000 promotional postcards are sent out, with the offer of the free flexi disc on which Cliff Richard will ‘..tell you all about Spre-e…’

On the reverse side of the record, are seven minutes of Billy Graham preaching an ‘evangelistic sermon…’

Spre-e is a major Christian festival to take place in Britain, later in the year, organised by the Billy Graham organisation. 54,000+ of the free records are requested.

March 8th

Cliff performs his Eurovision entry, ‘Power To All Our Friends’ on Top of The Pops, on an edition presented by Jimmy Savile.

March 31st

Cliff Richard attends the wedding of musical arranger, Dave Mackay and Brenda Challis at St. James’s Church, Piccadilly.

The married couple are photographed with Cliff and disc jockey, Alan Freeman on either side of them.

Jimmy Savile has been interviewed by James Thomas for the Daily Express as publicity for his new BBC chat show:

‘…He was adamant that he won’t do anything in his new show against what he calls “the social code.” He said: “Say what you like about the pop scene, but I have never done anything which I believe would corrupt anyone.”

May 11th

At the Sun Television Awards, Freddie Starr ‘..sings Twistin' the Night Away and performs stand up comedy and impressions of Jimmy Savile, Cliff Richard, Adam Faith, and Mick Jagger… Pete Murray (presenter).. announces the award for the top male personality, the award is presented by Diana Dors (who is on crutches) to Michael Parkinson. Pete introduces the award for the top pop act, this is presented by Gary Glitter to The New Seekers - they are not present but the award is received on their behalf by Keith Potger. Pete introduces the award for top female personality, the award is presented by Rolf Harris to Cilla Black (includes clips of Cilla interviewing members of the public about European food)…’

(www.itnsource.com)

Summer

Cliff Richard’s holiday gang spend time in Madeira.

July 15th

‘Photographs featuring Jimmy Savile. Includes photographs showing Jimmy Savile at: 'PHAB: BBC Radio One Speakeasy' on 15 July 1973; meeting with Lord Hunt on 30 June 1971 to plan a tour to meet handicapped and other members of the Association; at the start of a sponsored walk in Jersey; on a walk in Northern Ireland in 1973; and at various unidentified events and locations. Most photographs are not dated.’

August

At a press conference held in the Connaught Rooms, London to promote Spre-e ’73, Billy Graham says:

“Christ is going to come riding on a white horse, the armies of heaven behind him, and a sword in His mouth, an authoritarian power to rule the world.”

August 31st

Cliff Richard appears at Wembley Stadium, as part of Spre-e '73 (the name is derived from SPiritual REEmphasis):

‘Friday night is Cliff Richard night, so it’s not surprising it’s the biggest turnout of the week - 25,000 plus…’

Cliff performs (and otherwise addresses the crowd) for 40 minutes, before Billy Graham takes over. He proceeds to tell the captive throng:

“The end is coming. Jesus Christ predicted it 318 times in the New Testament. I don’t mean the end of the earth or the human race, but the end of the world system. I believe His coming is near and we are going to enter a kingdom like Utopia…

Are you able to stand up like Cliff Richard does and say “I’m a Christian”? Tonight, present your bodies a living sacrifice..”

(David Coomes ‘SPRE-E ’73’)

October 4th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops 500th Birthday Edition (7:00 - 8:00 pm), hosts - Jimmy Savile, Tony Blackburn, Noel Edmonds, Kenny Everett - includes Cliff Richard’s ‘Take Me High’.

November

To experience Tear Fund’s work first hand, Cliff travels to Bangladesh…

‘..the independent republic created in the aftermath of the Indo-Pakistan War, where refugees (are) flooding in from North India to avoid persecution. The camps.. overcrowded and filthy, the refugees sick and undernourished…’

Cliff Richard:

“..It was at a clinic and a group of them were being washed…

..somebody accidentally trod on the finger of a little boy aged about three, who was sitting naked by my left elbow. He just screamed out like any kid would. It was so natural. I’ve got a niece and nephew and I’m used to humping kids around and the next thing I just grabbed the little boy and he stopped crying instantly and just buried himself in my shoulder.

It was fantastic. I felt such a feeling of warmth, and forgot about the fact he was all sore-ridden. He was a little piece of humanity clinging to me. He stopped crying because all he wanted was a bit of affection and love.

The incident made such a deep impression on me that I have a blown-up picture of me and the lad on the wall here in my home. No one sees it except me, because it’s on the way to the loo. Every time I go by it reminds me of that situation out there….’

(CRihow)

November 2nd

‘POP singer Olivia Newton-John has been chosen to represent Britain in the Eurovision Song Contest next year.

Olivia, 24, who is currently on tour in Australia, said last night: “I’m really knocked out by the news.”

On tour with her is pop star Cliff Richard, who gained third place for Britain in this year’s contest…

Olivia will sing her six “Songs for Europe” - from which TV viewers will select Britain’s entry - on Jimmy Savile’s “Clunk-Click” show in the New Year….’

(Daily Mirror)

November 5th

‘SPRE-E ’73’ by David Coomes is published:

“..I believe the time we have for evangelism is short. The day of vengeance of our God is soon to be hurled upon this world….”

(Quote in the book from Eric Delve, a young evangelist on Spre-e’s planning committee)

November 6th

‘Jimmy Savile Hands Over The Evening News Bus To The First Group Of Youth Club Members From The National Association Of Youth Clubs.’

(Rex)

November 22nd

Cliff Richard performs ‘Take Me High’ as a new release on Top of The Pops, on an edition presented by Jimmy Savile. Gary Glitter is at number 1 this week, and follows Cliff as the last act on the show.

November 26th

The Royal Variety Performance, at the London Palladium includes Cliff Richard.

December 7th

LWT Russell Harty Plus with:

Asha Puthli – Lies

Cliff Richard - Take me high

Unknown date this year

PHAB becomes an independent charity.

NAYC Tea-rific Fun and Happiness Week with Jimmy Savile, OBE, Vice President.

Chris Denning is sacked by Jonathan King’s UK Records following his conviction for ‘..offences related to having sex with young boys or producing child pornography…’, at the Old Bailey, London. (The Telegraph)

‘@InnaMood and my New Scotland Yard g/f told me in '74 Cliff Richard had been cautioned by police many years earlier.’

I Put LNP Last!! @johndory49

January 1st

Cliff takes part in a football match playing for the Buzz All Stars XI (Buzz is a British Christian Youth monthly journal) versus Choralerna (a Swedish Christian choir).

January 26th

Olivia Newton-John is ‘Close-Up Of The Week’ in the Daily Mirror:

‘..Livvy, as she is known to her friends, has the world at her feet. And she is very much a career girl.

She has been chosen to represent Britain in this year’s Eurovision Song Contest at Brighton on April 6. Her records sell consistently and she is always in demand for cabaret.

On February 2 she starts a five-week run in Jimmy Savile’s “Clunk-Click” show on BBC, when viewers will be given the chance to choose the song to represent Britain in the song contest…

“I can only do my best,” said Livvy. “I don’t think it upsets one’s career if you don’t win in these international song contests.

Look at Cliff Richard - he’s been entered in the Eurovision contest twice and been beaten both times.”…’

(Ken Irwin)

February 5th

The Nolan Sisters make their television debut on ‘It’s Cliff Richard’. Coleen Nolan - just short of nine years old - is in their line-up for this appearance.

March

Cliff Richard is awarded the Silver Clef trophy, presented by the Duchess of Gloucester, at the Second Annual Music Therapy Committee lunch.

April

During Cliff’s season at the London Palladium, Rolf Harris deputises for three nights, while he is suffering from ‘throat and chest problems’.

May 16th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:25 - 8:00 pm), hosted by Dave Lee Travis includes Cliff Richard’s ‘(You Keep Me) Hangin' On’.

May

Cliff Richard plays the part of Bottom in his old school’s production of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’.

Jimmy Savile and Princess Alexandra meet at a Duncroft Approved School for Girls Garden Party:

‘…The Queen’s cousin was a patron of mental health charity MIND, and on that occasion she greeted Jimmy Savile with a level of enthusiasm and familiarity that is said to have shocked the school’s main governor, Lady Montague Norman….’

(IPS)

June

In aid of Tear Fund, Cliff’s “Help It Along” (EMA 768) album is released.

Cliff Richard speaks on BBC Radio 2 program ‘Pause For Thought’.

August 28th

Cliff Richard appears in a special concert at the ‘New Gallery’, Regent Street, London for the Crusaders.

September 4th

Cliff meets and chats with Lady Mountbatten, lending his support to the Romsey Abbey Appeal.

Autumn

Jimmy Savile’s autobiography ‘As It Happens’ is published:

‘..With Angus Ogilvy and his super missus Princess Alexandra one feels a great friendship from the off. I am the vice-president to his Presidency of the National Association of Youth Clubs and he is often down with us at headquarters in Devonshire Street, wanting to know what’s happening. Princess Alex is a patron of a hostel for girls in care. At this place I’m a cross between a termtime boyfriend and a fixer of special trips out. The Princess is a natural for such a place. Girls in care don’t take kindly to royal rules, protocol and the like, but Alex just steams in, captures them and anyone else that’s around, and steams out….’

November

Jimmy Savile is photographed at a PHAB presentation holding a copy of the Cliff Richard album ‘Take Me High’.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:08 PM 

Unknown date this year

‘Photographs of the NAYC Football Final sponsored by Thorn, held at Crystal Palace. Includes photographs of a supporting match between the Top Ten XI and International XI with celebrity players including Jess Conrad, Ed Stewart and Gareth Edwards.’

April 14th

‘English dj and television presenter Jimmy Savile makes a call from the Wren House International Telephone Exchange in London. Savile is visiting as part of a 'Fun And Happiness Weekend', organized by the National Association of Youth Clubs. He is calling exchange worker and children's charity worker Kathy Day in Pittsburgh, USA.’

(Photo by Keystone Features / Hulton Archive / Getty Images)

April 19th

Cliff performs two songs and talks about his Christian faith at the ‘Way To Life’ rally, at Wembley’s Empire Pool.

May 3rd

Prior to their broadcasting of the F.A. Cup Final, ITV provide entertainment ‘..to attract young viewers before the match starts..’ from Ed Stewart, Gary Glitter, Bill Oddie and Freddie Starr.

June 19th

Psychiatrist and children’s author, Catherine Storr describes ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ as:

‘..intolerably patronising… an insult to the dignity possessed by a child in his natural environment.’

(IPS / The Listener)

July 12th

On BBC TV’s ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ show, presented by Jimmy Savile, Cliff sings “Run Billy Run”. Other guests are Alvin Stardust, Patrick Moore and Zandra Rhodes.

July 19th

Cliff and The Shadows feature on ‘Jim’ll Fix It’, hosted by Jimmy Savile.

July 22nd

A Variety Club luncheon in tribute to Dame Vera Lynn, at the Savoy Hotel is attended
by - among others - Harold Wilson (Prime Minister) and his wife; Jeremy Thorpe (M.P.); Sir Robert Mark (Metropolitan Police Commissioner); Russ Conway, and Cliff Richard.

(The Stage, 24.07.1975)

September 12th

‘The Cliff Richard Story’ by George Tremlett is published.

October 10th

LWT Russell Harty has:

Richard O’Brien

Cliff Richard - Love On

Date not known

LWT Russell Harty - Cliff talks about withdrawal of his ‘Honky Tonk Angel’ single.

Late in the year

Interview with Tony Prince (disc jockey), published in January 1976 in the Eurald Tribune, the school paper of the European School in Luxembourg:

“…Now we make it downstairs into a big games room, recreation room, television room and party room. We gonna take the pool table down, I have a football game and table tennis and it's gonna be one of those rooms. We got six bedrooms, we always have a lot of guests staying here, so we got six bedrooms which are good for that. We're gonna have a lot of fun in this house, that's why we came to live here. In summer we're gonna have a lot of parties. We have people like Alvin Stardust and Gary Glitter coming to stay with us. They stay here from time to time when they come to be interviewed on Radio Luxembourg. We think it's nicer for them to come and stay here with us than to stay at the Holiday Inn or somewhere. We're looking out for 1976...”

(www.dieter-brors.de)

‘Radio DJs in Britain in the early to mid-’70s had become godlike. If it wasn’t young children they were abusing, they were definitely abusing something, because their power became overwhelming and dictatorial. And they would propagate themselves there on BBC Radio as the purveyors of good taste, and careers could hinge on their negative impact….’

(John Lydon ‘Anger Is An Energy’, 09.10.2014)

Unknown date this year

Cliff Richard:

“..Jesus was a man, and in those days they did tend to have longish hair and beards. I doubt if He was a pretty man or an ugly man, but an ordinary man. He’d have been physically right, maybe a great athlete. He wouldn’t have been skinny like me, or fat like Cyril Smith, just an average man. The epitome of what man is meant to be….”

(CRihow)

Visit by Prince Philip to the Prince Philip Centre PHAB Club, Leeds when the building was presented to the City of Leeds by the Leeds Union of Youth Club Organisations.

Cliff Richard:

“Crumbs, we all know homosexuals, don’t we, nowadays? It’s incredible, but we do. But homosexuality in my mind will never be normality, because I can see what normality means is man and woman procreating….”

“The Gay Liberation Front picketed the inaugural meeting of Mary Whitehouse’s anti-porn movement…

They were dressed up like nuns and screaming like banshees. They need a birching.”

“Crikey, you have to be one of the boys and swear and sleep around before you’re considered anything today, our society has become so twisted. And it worries me that the police are held in such scorn these days.

Again, it all comes back to the home. It’d be interesting to take a survey on the families that work and the families that don’t and find out which ones have the discipline and the rod.”

(CRihow)

Ed Stewart makes a short educational film, with his young daughter Francesca, warning children about danger from strangers.

Cliff Richard looks back to the time he had moved in with Bill Latham and his mother, while making the film ‘Finders Keepers’, and then on to share another home with them:

“..we found a nice house in Totteridge, North London, two roads away from Frankie Vaughan. We’ve lived there ever since. Bill’s mother has virtually adopted me; it’s like having a second mother.”

(CRihow)

January

AJ Nebber is banned by Cliff Richard from singing a song called ‘Dear Auntie Vera’ on his TV show. The song is about a girl who asks an agony aunt how she can increase the size of her bust.

April 23rd

UK release of ‘Devil Woman’ hit single. It had…

‘..started off as a riff which Terry Britten couldn’t find words for and then he linked up with Christine Holmes, a singer and children’s television presenter… and she gave it a title and wrote the story of a seductive fortune teller…’

“..My whole thing was to convey that women can be very spooky and clever when they try to snare a guy. They can force a guy into doing things he wouldn’t normally do. They can be witches when they want to be…”

(Christine Holmes, CR:TB)

June - August

‘Devil Woman’ is issued as a single in the United States by Rocket Records. Cliff does a lot of promotion there and hangs out with Peter Hebbes [Gormley Management]; Sharon Lawrence [Publicist]; Tony King [‘Rocket’s Executive Vice President in America.. a flamboyant English bachelor…’], as well as on occasions: Elton John [founder of The Rocket Record Company]; John Reid [Elton’s manager], Olivia Newton-John [old friend and musical collaborator].

‘Devil Woman’ is eventually a top 10 hit in the U.S.A.

October

Cliff Richard begins a gospel tour in aid of ‘Tear Fund’.

November 12th

While in town for a show, Cliff makes a surprise visit to Binley Park School, Coventry.

November 25th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:10 - 7:40 pm), hosted by Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard’s ‘Hey Mr. Dream Maker’. It is on this edition of the show that Savile gropes a teenage girl, on camera:

‘SHOCKING footage has emerged of British television icon Jimmy Savile groping a young woman live on air, while an Australian man is thought to be among 300 victims abused by the presenter.

Disturbing YouTube footage taken from Top of the Pops in 1976 shows a teenage Sylvia Edwards wriggling away from Savile who had his hand up her skirt and was groping her bottom with one hand while he calmly introduces the next act to the camera.

The 19-year-old jumps about and shrieks in reaction to Savile's wandering hands during live filming for the popular music show.. at the BBC's West London TV centre.

She has told British newspaper The Sun that when she complained to a BBC employee she was told to "get lost" as Savile was only "messing about".

"I felt his fingers go towards my bottom. It was disgusting," the now 55-year-old told The Sun.

"He just laughed and carried on mauling me while talking to the camera."

In the clip Savile says to the camera: "I tell you something, a fella could get used to this, as it happens, he really could get used to it."

Ms Edwards said the experience damaged her and later contributed to the collapse of her marriage….’

(www.news.com.au, 28.10.2012)

December

Cliff Richard meets Mother Teresa in Calcutta, India and visits the homes for the destitute and dying.

Cliff Richard performs in two concerts at Kalamandir Auditorium in New Delhi, India.

Cliff Richard visits Tear Fund projects in Bangladesh.

December 25th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (2:10 - 3:00 pm), hosted by Dave Lee Travis and Noel Edmonds includes Cliff Richard’s hit ‘Devil Woman’.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:14 PM 

March

The International Cliff Richard Movement magazine “Dynamite” reports that Cliff’s Tear Fund concerts in 1976 raised over £37,000, providing six vehicles for Argentina, Yemen, Nigeria, Haiti and Burundi, also a generator for a hospital in India, a rural development center in Kenya and a training center in Zaire.

March 3rd

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:10 - 7:40 pm), presented by Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard’s ‘My Kinda Life’.

May 16th

‘He.. does 20 concerts a year for TEAR - The Evangelical Alliance Relief Fund.

Since he committed himself to the movement TEAR’s income has risen from $10,000 to $1,250,000 a year. This, he explained, was used to directly to help people in 40 countries. He visits regularly TEAR projects in Bangladesh, Nepal and Sudan….’

(The Sydney Morning Herald)

June 6th

Cliff Richard speaks at a Youth Rally, part of the Queen’s Silver Jubilee celebrations, in Windsor Great Park.

June

Cliff Richard and Dave Lee Travis are photographed standing close together, both wearing and holding glasses.

July 20th

Cliff Richard attends a reception at Buckingham Palace.

September 28th

On Radio 1, Cliff Richard talks to Dave Lee Travis and plays records, for an hour.

October

At an EMI sales conference dinner… ‘singer Roger Chapman makes loud and rude comments about Cliff’s self-imposed twelve-year celibacy.’

November 12th

CR appearance on children’s TV show ‘Tiswas’.

November 29th

Prince Charles is photographed sharing a joke with Madeline Bell and Cliff Richard at Circus Tavern, Purfleet, Essex.

Cliff had headed the bill (which also included Paul Daniels) of a Charity Gala in aid of The Prince’s Trust, to which the Prince had been invited as Guest of Honour.

December 17th

Cliff appears on BBC TV ‘Swap Shop Christmas Show’.

January

It is reported that Jimmy Savile had been ‘…presented with the National VALA Award together with a specially made silver medallion in recognition of his general social work…’, at a lunch held at the R.A.F. Club, Piccadilly, London:

“…This is the first time we have ever given a medallion, but Jim does so much good, we thought it appropriate.”

(Mary Whitehouse / The Viewer and Listener)

February 8th

A friend and collaborator to (Cliff Richard’s friend) Tim Rice and his musical partner, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Alan Doggett, is suspected of having sexually abusing boys:

‘..As with his leaving Colet Court, accounts differ of the actual events. Michael Walsh writes that ‘When one of the boys accused Doggett of molestation – apparently the accusation was false – the conductor was arrested and, as a condition of his bail, was forbidden to have any contact with his chorus’.. Stephen Citron, who.. reports the molestation at Colet Court as an established fact, says that on this occasion Doggett was again ‘accused of molestation – this time presumably falsely – he was forbidden to have any contact with his chorus’…

..Doggett was due to conduct a further performance of ‘Jason and the Golden Fleece’ at the Royal Albert Hall on February 23rd, with a choir of a thousand singers, entitled ‘The London Boy Singers And a Massed Choir of 1000’ who he had selected and coached, as well as many other children playing recorders and percussion, all from around 34 different schools; the performance was to be on behalf of Help the Aged. A few adult celebrities were also involved, including Ed Stewart, Ian Lavender, and Barney the Clown... An article from three years after his death… mentioned that according to some press reports, police had intended to interview every one of these thousand boys…

What is clear is that after Doggett was charged on February 8th, 1978 in West London and remanded on bail of £1000, hours after which, in a depressed state, he travelled back to his birthplace of Iver, and lay down on a railroad track so as to be run over by a train….’

(Ian Pace ‘Alan Doggett, first conductor of Joseph and Jesus Christ Superstar, and the Paedophile Information Exchange’ / Desiring Progress blog, 07.03.2014)

March 2nd

Mike Read interviews Cliff Richard at the London Palladium for Radio Luxembourg.

EMI Records host a special honorary dinner for Cliff Richard in London.

June

A Variety Club luncheon is held for Jimmy Savile at the Dorchester Hotel, London. Savile is seated between Lord Louis Mountbatten and Sir Billy Butlin.

Those paying tribute include: BBC 1 Controller, Bill Cotton and Angus Ogilvy, President of NAYC:

“He has done more than perhaps anyone else to make the lives of unfortunate people happier than they might ever have been.”

‘Savile talked of how he had felt “great friendship from the off” with Ogilvy and his wife, socialising with them at the NAYC headquarters on Devonshire Street in London and at any number of gala events…’

(IPS)

Early-July

‘New centre: dedication

THE ARCHBISHOP of Canterbury has dedicated the new premises of the Arts Centre Group at Short Street, E1. Cliff Richard and David Winter took part in the service at the adjacent St. Andrew’s Church.’

(The Stage, 06.07.1978)

July 26th

‘HERE are three dancers creating a lot of Hot Gossip.

Versatile disc jockey Kenny Everett says they are “the official naughty bit” of his TV show.

Mrs Mary Whitehouse says they are “aggressively and deliberately seductive”.

She has protested to Thames Television over the troupe of nine’s appearance on the Kenny Everett Video Show

The clean-up TV campaigner said: “It is one of the most suggestive groups ever seen on television…”….’

(Daily Express)

August 7th

The sixth show of the first series of ‘The Kenny Everett Video Show’ (Thames TV) is broadcast, including some content from Cliff Richard.

October

Start of 5-part BBC Radio 1 series on Cliff Richard, narrated by Tim Rice.

During an interview recorded for BBC Radio 1, Johnny Rotten / John Lydon states:

“I’d like to kill Jimmy Savile; I think he’s a hypocrite. I bet he’s into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumours… I bet none of this will be allowed out.”

October 9th & 10th

Under the banner of ‘Help, Hope & Hallelujah’, Cliff gives two concerts to celebrate the 10th anniversary of ‘Tear Fund’.

He is on the board of the charity, and in addition to performing numerous concerts for them, has visited their projects in Sudan, Nepal and Bangladesh.

October 23rd

Cliff Richard was celebrating 21 years in show business, and a press conference is held at the Waldorf Hotel, London.

Daily Express quotes him the next day:

“Even if I were some shadowy homosexual, which I’m not, I’m hardly likely to say so. And any sexy skeletons that might be lurking in locked cupboards are going to stay put.”

November 12th

‘THERE is a formidable lady behind the runaway success of Hot Gossip, a group of ‘erotic’ dancers who specialise in acting out the darker fantasies.

It is not the group’s leader Arlene Phillips but none other than the Holy Purifier herself, Mary Whitehouse…

Understandably, Arlene Phillips thinks Mary Whitehouse is ‘amazing.’ For myself I’m perplexed. I caught Hot Gossip in action the other night putting on a parade of exotic whirls involving whips, schoolgirl prostitutes and transvestites and I’m sure I would have had more erotic thrills spending the evening slowly dipping my left elbow into a bowl of cold porridge.’

(The Observer)

November

Cliff Richard is ‘..the recipient of a special silver rat to celebrate his 20 years in show business and his world-wide work for charity..’ at the Water Rats Annual Ball in The Great Room of Grosvenor House, London. Among others in attendance are David Berglas [‘King Rat’]; Alan Freeman [‘Bait Rat’], and Paul Daniels [‘Illusionist’].

(The Stage, 30.11.1978)

Unknown year 1978-1991

From: Alan Francis (Head of Security, Mecca Leisure, 1978-1991) – and Jimmy Savile

Sir Jimmy Saville and charity

Over 40 years ago with several City Police colleagues, invited by the BBC, we went to the Paris Cinema to participate in a ‘Crime and punishment’ radio show ‘Speak Easy’ presented by Jimmy Savile, (JS). It was a good experience. His death has just been announced. JS was a prolific charity worker.

After retiring from the beloved City I went to work for Mecca Leisure, on the edge of show-business, where I met JS several times. At the Cafe de Paris , Coventry Street, the manageress Avril Matthews McClay, a singer, had been through a traumatic experience when her husband and child had been killed in a plane crash and she had been nursed by JS in Stoke Mandeville Hospital. At the Cafe de Paris there was a charity evening for the disabled. The Royal Marines turned up in uniform to carry the disabled inside and Jimmy Saville arrived with a Russian Princess. Paul Daniels also later arrived in support of Avril to give a free show of magic which was amazing. A lot of money was raised for the disabled-related charity PHAB (Physically Handicapped Able Bodies)……

(www.locarnoboy.co.uk)

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:16 PM 

‘..Anyway my brother did work experience back in late 70's at a local radio station when Sir Jimbo came a'calling with his two full time marine bodyguards. Said he was the most unpleasant human being he had ever met up until that time.’

dogsled, 28.09.2012 / order-order.com

“I always feel terrible when people are judged on their sexual behaviour in the 70s from the perspective of today’s knowledge, because, in fact, while we were going through the 70s, it was assumed that there would be no consequences for whatever your sexual actions may have been…”

Paul Gambaccini / BBC TV Freddie Mercury documentary

“I really like David Bowie. That album, ‘Ziggy Stardust’, I thought was great, but I can’t believe it didn’t have a bad effect on the kids. I mean, he was purveying homosexuality, that’s what it was all about. That sort of image and power is very dangerous.”

Cliff Richard

February 26th

The second programme in the second ITV series of ‘The Kenny Everett Video Show’, featuring Cliff Richard, is broadcast.

February 27th

Cliff Richard lunches at New Scotland Yard.

March 5th

Cliff is on another edition of ‘The Kenny Everett Video Show’ (?).

April 20th

CR participates in a youth festival at St. Alban’s Cathedral.

June 7th

‘God’ll Fix It’ by Jimmy Savile, a Mowbrays popular Christian paperback, is published:

‘Jimmy Savile is an enigma. His job forces him to clown, bamboozle, and pull the wool over our eyes. In this book he comes clean. He talks frankly about his relationship with God and his commitment as a Christian, showing what this demands of him in his day to day life, as a disc jockey, TV personality and, most dear to his heart, hospital visitor. His joy in being involved with other people, many of whom are seriously ill, shines through the book.

A strong faith (and sense of humour) makes him trust that, come what may, God’ll Fix It.’

June 12th

Cliff sings two songs on Dutch TV’s ‘Auro Gala Special’, to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Dutch Youth Hostel Organisation.

July

Ten famous celebrities pose for a photograph with Cliff to celebrate his 21 years in show business. The group includes:

Christopher Timothy, Joan Collins, Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Brian Bennett, Elaine Page, Patti Boulaye, Kenny Everett and Lionel Blair.

July 5th

At the Dorchester Hotel, Cliff Richard is the guest of honour at a Variety Club lunch to celebrate his 21 years in show business. Also in attendance.. The Duke of Kent, Kenny Everett, The Shadows etc.

Prior to this event, Cliff was scheduled to: ‘..present two sunshine coaches, one to Astley Park School, Lancs, and the other to Selworthy School, Taunton…’

(The Stage, 05.07.1979)

July 26th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:20 - 8:00 pm), presented by Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard ‘We Don't Talk Anymore’.

August 23rd

On another Top of The Pops edition presented by Jimmy Savile, Cliff performs ‘We Don’t Talk Anymore’, again.

This single becomes the most successful Cliff Richard single of all time, selling millions.

September 18th

Attends a Filey Christian Holiday Crusade meeting.

October 16th

‘Kenny Everett claims - for the umpteenth time - that his ITV show leapt in popularity after I “went berserk and started shouting in public about how dreadful it was” (Mirror, Sept.20).

The facts are that we objected to the Hot Gossip dancers doing a sequence in Everett’s show in which one of the girls was dressed as a child prostitute.

We wrote a private letter to ITV expressing our concern and let the matter rest there.

But not Kenny Everett. Obviously feeling his programme was not going to make it on its merits he decided to cash in on the private correspondence.- Mary Whitehouse, Gen. Sec., National Viewers’ and Listeners’ Association, Ardleigh, Essex.’

(Daily Mirror)

December 2nd

Concert in aid of International Year of the Child, Camberley, Surrey.

December 16th

Cliff leads a large crowd (torchlight procession) from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace, then performs carols on stage, facing the Palace, to mark the end of the Year of the Child.

After performing that role, he is ‘received’ in the palace.

December 18th

Cliff sings at a ‘special concert’ in aid of the International Year of the Child.

December 20th (?)

Coleen Nolan is at Top Of The Pops during the live broadcast, as her elder sisters are performing on the show:

‘..I stood next to Jimmy Savile and I was 14 and he was all over me.. You know, it was a bit like.. Uh, I don’t think I like it. But, it’s funny cos then you know it’s family cos I could see my sisters glaring like “you touch her and we’ll kill you”, and they would’ve y’know and that’s where family come into it….’

(Unknown TV documentary circa-2008)

December 31st

Cliff appears in a programme titled ‘The Will Kenny Everett Make It to 1980? Show’:

‘…The most outrageous costume he wears is his back-to-front outfit as Mr. Angry of Mayfair, which is really a cheeky parody of Mary Whitehouse.

As Mr. Angry, Everett wears a pin-stripe suit with the back cut away to reveal that he is wearing women’s underwear, black bra, suspender belt, and fishnet stockings…

When it comes to capturing the top rock stars for his shows, Everett never has any trouble. Cliff Richard and David Bowie both asked to be invited back after their first appearances earlier in the year.

“They don’t seem to care what I do to them when I get them on the programme,” says Everett….’

(Daily Mirror, 29.12.1979)

Unknown date in 1980 (stated as Jan. 1st)

Tyne Tees Television ‘Check It Out’ film about Phab, includes footage of Jimmy Savile at Phab club, Harrogate.

February 4th - 10th

The Duchess of Kent is photographed conversing with Cliff Richard after a musical tribute to Norrie Paramour, held at Fairfield Hall, Croydon. Cliff topped the bill at the event, which raised £7,000 for the Stars Organisation for Spastics.

(The Stage, 14.02.1980)

February 10th

Cliff takes part in an evangelical meeting in Cambridge with Dr. Billy Graham. The same evening he speaks at Great St. Mary's, the University Church.

February 20th

“Sex outside marriage is wrong…” (CR, Daily Star)

February 25th & March 3rd

Cliff appears in two more editions of the ITV series ‘The Kenny Everett Video Show’.

April 16th

An auction to have lunch with Cliff Richard forms part of Capital Radio’s regular ‘Help A London Child’ broadcasts, this year.

July 23rd

Cliff Richard speaks on Radio 1 Mike Read Breakfast Show before going to Buckingham Palace to collect his O.B.E. from The Queen.

“..I have always been a very firm Royalist and have followed the Royal Family since I was a kid…’ (CR, speaking at The Palace)

?July 25th or September?

Cliff Richard and Radio Luxemburg disc jockey, Tony Prince are photographed together, in front of some railings making weird limb movements: this is supposed to promote a keep-fit device called Star Disco Trimmer.

September 4th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:20 - 7:55 pm), hosted by Dave Lee Travis and Kevin Keegan has Cliff Richard performing ‘Dreamin’.

October 2nd - 3rd

‘Britain’s first telethon - a marathon TV show in aid of charity - will go out in the London area next month…

The show will be presented at the Wembley Conference Centre by Jimmy Young, Rolf Harris and Joan Shenton. Stars who have agreed to appear include Cliff Richard, Frankie Vaughan, Frankie Howerd and Twiggy.

The funds raised by the telethon will be allocated by the Thames Help Trust, chaired by Baroness Pike.’

(The Observer, 07.09.1980)

‘..By the end, the people of the South-east region had pledged a total of £1,108,467 to.. a charity set up for the occasion to receive the money, then dispense it to projects designed to help children, from perinatal care and the handicapped to latchkey schemes and self-help projects….’

(The Guardian, 28.10.1980)

October 27th

Cliff guests once more on ‘Swap Shop’, BBCTV, with Noel Edmonds.

December 15th

Sponsored walk from London to Liverpool is undertaken by Lewis Collins and John Conteh, in aid of Phab.

December

Top London stores ‘Selfridges’ invites Cliff and other celebrities to design their own shop window. Cliff’s window is on the traditional religious theme ‘Christmas Through The Eyes Of A Child’.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:18 PM 

‘Everyone Is Phab’ documentary, sponsored by Phab to mark their Silver Jubilee, features Jimmy Savile:

‘Shows able bodied and disabled people working together, treating each other as equals. Intended for fund raising from corporations and individuals.’

(www.bfi.org.uk)

January 16th

Cliff meets up with Billy Graham at the Royal Albert Hall.

Also, attends the 25th birthday celebrations of the evangelical magazine ‘Crusade’.

January 24th

‘More than £10,000 has been given by Daily Mirror readers to our PHAB Appeal.

“And that means 10,000 thank you’s from my handicapped friends,” says Jimmy Savile, President of the Physically Handicapped Able-Bodied organisation - PHAB - which links the handicapped with the able-bodied…

Most of the money has been raised in orders for the exclusive Lord Snowden black and white poster of Cliff Richard.

“The picture is unique. It’s a must for any Cliff Richard fan”, says Jimmy, who can be seen in JIM’LL FIX IT (BBC-1, 6.40 tonight).

For your Cliff Richard poster, send £1 to: PHAB Appeal, Daily Mirror….’

January

Cliff Richard attends a Christians in Sport Dinner in Watford.

February 10th

‘Cliff sings with a choir of 400 girls to raise money for St. Brendan’s School, Clevedon, Bristol. The school’s headmaster, John Davey had been Cliff’s teacher who helped him to pass his ‘O’ Level in religious studies in 1965.’

February 14th

Crusaders meeting at Central Hall, Westminster, London is attended by Cliff.

April 23rd

Cliff makes an appearance on ‘The Kenny Everett Video Cassette’ - fourth series, second show of the somewhat re-named ITV show he’s been on several times before.

May 4th

‘Princess fixes it for Jim

THE Princess and the showman kept a special date in London’s Hyde Park yesterday.

Princess Alexandra and Jimmy Savile met to launch a 10-mile sponsored walk around the Serpentine lake.

A thousand walkers on the “Heartbeat Hike” were expected to raise up to £25,000 for P.H.A.B., the charity which brings handicapped and able-bodied people together.

The Princess met many of the disabled people.’

(Daily Mirror, 05.05.1981)

May 7th

Another (possibly last) appearance by Cliff on ‘The Kenny Everett Video Cassette’.

September

Cliff is ‘..introduced to Sue Barker by sports commentator Gerald Williams, a personal friend of his and also a supporter of Christians in Sport…’

They watch The Shadows in concert at the Dominion, London, along with Bill Latham and Sue Mappin:

‘..After the show.. they eat together.. Cliff wanted to know why tennis was such a privileged sport in this country and what needed to be done to find the tennis stars of tomorrow. Out of this first meeting grew the idea of what, in ten years’ time would be the Cliff Richard Tennis Trail - a charity which helps school-age children to develop a love for the game.

At the time Cliff was not noted for his love of tennis…’

October 20th

‘Reception. The Earl of Snowdon, Patron of PHAB (physically handicapped and able bodied) and Mr Jimmy Savile (president) were hosts at a reception and dinner held at the Mount Royal Hotel yesterday to launch the charity’s silver jubilee celebration for 1982. Among the guests were: Mr Hugh Rossi, Minister of state for Social Security and the Disabled…’

(bitsofbooksblog.wordpress.com / The Times, 21.10.1981)

October 24th

CR presents awards to local children at Addlestone Police Station, in Surrey.

November 23rd

Royal Variety Performance at Drury Lane, London. The line-up includes, among others:

John Inman
Tim Rice
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Julian Lloyd Webber
Patrick Moore
Jimmy Tarbuck
Cliff Richard
The Shadows

Start of a four-part BBC 2 TV series ‘Cliff’. Among those that participate in the series are: Dave Lee Travis, Mike Read, Kenny Everett and Bill Latham.

November 28th

Another appearance by Cliff on the TV show ‘Tiswas’.

Re: Jimmy Saville

‘…In 1981/2 I was going out with a copper.. a nice chap.. a dog handler. He told me, back then, that all the police personnel had been made aware of and shown the 'Peadophile Exchange Information' list... Jimmy Savile's name was on it.. clear as a day, along with High Court judges, MPs, celebs.. as well as high ranking coppers!!

Everyone knew and chose to ignore it.. with the result , as far as JS was concerned, many, many young girls were abused by him... and the authorities turned a blind eye.. he was such a high earning charity worker! Tosh!!….’

(diosh, 16.10.2012 / Virtual Tourist - Miscellaneous Forum)

Unknown date in the year

Cliff Richard and disc jockey Tony Prince are once again photographed together, this time at the Nordoff Robins Annual Lunch.

A Silver Jubilee Luncheon for Phab held at the Porter Tun Room, Chiswell Street, London. Sir Peter Baldwin, Chairman of the charity (Physically Handicapped and Able Bodied) presides at the event:

‘..Among those present were: The Earl of Snowden, Baroness Stedman, Mr Alf Morris, MP, Lady Donaldson, Mr Cliff Richard, Mr Jimmy Savile, Mr Hugh Rossi (Minister for Social Security), Mr Christopher Benson, Mr Jeremy Brown, Mrs Claudia Flanders and Mrs Margaret Rymer.’

Crafty Muvva @craftymuvva / unknown

February 17th

‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat’ is the subject of a piece in the Daily Express:

‘..this was the show that struggled to survive when Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote it for a schools concert in London 15 years ago.

The story of the show’s early failure would make a script in itself…

Eventually, the modest Haymarket Theatre in Leicester decided to take it on a trial run and the show again began to slowly build in popularity.

It finally got another theatre in the West End and for the last two years has been on provincial tour, with former pop star Jess Conrad as Joseph….’

February

Cliff Richard tours to Bangkok, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Cliff Richard performs two concerts in Bangkok at ‘Hua Mark Indoor Stadium’.

Cliff Richard’s tour continues to Australia and New Zealand.

March 31st

‘Weetabix holds a press conference in the Derby & Queensbury Room at London’s Café Royal with Cliff, who is spearheading a campaign with them to raise money for underprivileged children.’

April 4th

CR visits Cranleigh School in Surrey.

April 10th

Cliff is involved with Capital Radio’s ‘Help A London Child’, again.

April 21st

‘PHAB is celebrating 25 years of integrating the physically handicapped and able bodied throughout its 350 clubs in the UK. A grand party for 800 people from as far away as Finland and New Zealand will be held in Manchester this weekend with celebrities Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris. Details from PHAB, 42 Devonshire Street, London W1.…’

(The Guardian)

May 9th - 15th

Cliff Richard and Bill Latham are in Kenya - a field trip on behalf of Tear Fund.

June 9th

Cliff Richard opens a new Dr Barnardo’s children’s home in Wokingham, Berkshire.

July 29th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:35 - 8:10 pm), Hosted by Mike Read includes Cliff Richard’s ‘The Only Way Out Is The Only Way In’.

October

‘Lord Longford's Book of Accidents: Or - Hello Michael Foot’ is published. It includes among the 47 contributors:

The Archbishop of Canterbury; Dr. Henry Kissinger; Jeremy Thorpe; Patrick Moore; Cyril Smith; Jimmy Savile, and Cliff Richard.

December 16th

BBC1 Top Of The Pops (7:25 - 8:10 pm), presented by Jimmy Savile includes Cliff Richard’s ‘Little Town’.

December 25th

‘Little Town’ is also part of the Christmas Day TOTP edition hosted by Dave Lee Travis, John Peel, Peter Powell, Mike Read, Andy Peebles, Steve Wright, Tommy Vance, Mike Smith and Richard Skinner.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:20 PM 

Unknown date this year

Variety Club of Great Britain luncheon in honour of Cliff Richard, at the Hilton Hotel, London, marks his twenty-fifth year as an entertainer. The speakers included Tim Rice, Jimmy Tarbuck and, among others present are Mike Read and Bill Cotton.

(Crafty Muvva = @craftymuvva / unknown)

January

"Cliff In Kenya" documentary film is premiered in London:

‘Records a visit by Cliff Richard, one of the sponsor's two vice presidents, to Kenya in 1982, where he visited Tear Fund-supported projects at a number of places.’

(BFI)

January 28th

He presents a cheque ‘to the children of the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London’, as part of the Weetabix campaign.

February

Cliff Richard begins tours to Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines and Australia.

Cliff Richard performs two concerts in Bangkok.

June 6th

CR photographed at length by Lord Snowden, in London.

June 23rd

Attends retirement party for a Baptist minister in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey.

June 27th

At the Arts Centre Group, in London, Cliff Richard and Paul Gambaccini take part in a ‘rock seminar’.

July 18th

He visits the Netherlands for an International Conference with Billy Graham.

Summer

Cliff’s holiday gang spend some time in Bermuda.

October 10th

He co-hosts the Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Mike Read.

October 25th

Cliff attends a charity lunch at the Dorchester Hotel, held in the presence of Princess Anne.

October 29th

Guests on ‘The Saturday Show’.. a programme described as: ‘Saturday morning entertainment show designed for children.’

(www.itnsource.com)

November 7th

Princess Alexandra and Angus Ogilvy watch Cliff perform at the Victoria Apollo, London.

‘Princess Alexandra will be present at the Cliff Richard silver jubilee concert, in aid of PHAB.. at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, London, on November 7.’

(Church Times, 24.09.1983)

November 11th

After his Victoria Apollo show, Cliff dines with Princess Anne and Tim Rice.

December 19th

The Cliff Richard Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament takes place at the Brighton Conference Centre. Mike Read is one of the participants.

April 1st - 15th

Cliff Richard and Bill Latham are on a field trip in Haiti, on behalf of Tear Fund.

“Of course I am sad not to have a family of my own. In a perfect world I would have liked to have had a boy and a girl. But I feel like I am a father to lots of children. I adopted Louismar and his mother when I went to Haiti five years ago. It is one of the poorest countries in the world, so £10 a week is enough to feed, educate and clothe a child. I never made a big thing about it because I hadn’t gone there to find out if I could adopt someone. It was one of those emotional, spur-of-the-moment things.”

(CR, 1990)

May 9th

Christian Heritage Year is ‘..formally opened in Westminster Abbey in the presence of the Prime Minister and leading notables of Church and State…’

Early on in the service, Cliff Richard performs the song ‘When I survey the wondrous Cross’.

(Illustrated London News, 01.09.1984)

July 6th

Billy Graham, American Christian evangelist, Mission England Crusade, Villa Park, Birmingham. Special Guest, singer, Cliff Richard.

October 13th

A negative review of Cliff’s Gospel concert at Hammersmith Odeon is published in New Musical Express. Cliff is so offended by it that he sues the paper for libel.

November 19th

Jimmy Savile plays a prominent role in the Royal Variety Performance this year, greeting the Queen Mother and Princess Diana, dressed as a theatre doorman.

Other celebrities involved this year include: Esther Rantzen and Paul Daniels.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:23 PM 

‘…He starts chugging to himself in the Rolf Harris manner. "Hehehehehehe, hehehehehe." If it wasn't Rolf, it would be a dirty laugh…

But there's always been more to Harris than the shtick. In 1985, he made Britain's first programme warning children about sex abuse. Years earlier he had seen a teacher friend who had told him that she had just given a talk to her pupils about abuse and, halfway through, a child ran out of the classroom and vomited up his past. Harris says he was naive, he didn't know that such things happened, and he became determined to address the subject on telly. He was told that it would be the death of his career. Typically, Harris not only made the programme, he managed to do it with a sing-song element. And he starts singing. "My body's no body's body but mine/You take care of your body/I'll look after mine."….’

( ‘The real Rolf’ / The Guardian, 03.12.2001)

Chris Denning is sentenced to 18 months in prison for ‘..offences related to having sex with young boys or producing child pornography…’ (The Telegraph)

February 11th

CR goes to a reception at 10 Downing Street.

March 30th

Cliff Richard is among celebrities attending the birthday party of Paul Gambaccini, in North London.

April 30th

CR films in Bath for ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ BBC TV show (presenter: Jimmy Savile).

May 1st

Launch of the board game ‘Mike Read’s Pop Quiz’ at Stringfellows night club, London. Among those present: Alvin Stardust, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Dave Lee Travis and Cliff Richard.

May 30th

Cliff Richard along with many other artists attends a ‘Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles’ presentation by Norris McWhirter at the Savoy Hotel for authors Tim Rice, Jo Rice, Paul Gambaccini and Mike Read.

May 27th

Cliff appears on the Bank Holiday Monday / 10th Anniversary edition of ‘Jim’ll Fix It’, presented by Jimmy Savile:

‘..by far the most requested celebrity has been Cliff Richard.

“The mums love him, the daughters love him. He’s timeless,” says Jim.

And Cliff has always been keen to oblige. In the special 10th anniversary programme in 1985, he sprang a lovely surprise on one of the “mum” generation when her daughter, also a fan, brought Cliff home with her to sing a song in the front room….’

(Daily Express, 23.07.1994)

June 5th

CR wins libel action against publisher of NME:

‘Singer Cliff Richard was dismayed by a weekly newspaper article which implied that his expressions of religious belief were “sanctimonius and absurd,” a High Court Judge in London was told yesterday.

He sued IPC Magazines Ltd, publishers of the New Musical Express for libel over the review…

IPC Magazines had agreed to pay “appropriate damages for such a libel” and all his legal costs. Mr Richard, of Weybridge, Surrey would be giving the undisclosed damages to the Arts Centre Group, “a charitable organisation which assists Christian artists.”….’

(Glasgow Herald, 06.06.1985)

June 6th

‘Cliff’s fan club cash for youth

CLIFF RICHARD fans in Manchester have raised £7,500 to help young people in the North-West.

In just 18 months, members of the Manchester branch of the Cliff Richard Fan Club collected enough cash to buy a kidney machine for the renal unit at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.’

(The Stage)

June 25th

CR dines at the House of Commons.

July 2nd

‘Cliff Richard is cleaning up his act as far as apartheid is concerned.

Richard, who was blacklisted by the United Nations because of contacts with South Africa, has promised that he won’t sing commercially in the white minority-ruled nation.

Richard said he “gladly supports anti-apartheid. I (will) not go and do a commercial concert.

“I’ll go for one reason only - gospel concerts and to raise money for blacks.” ‘

(The Spokesman-Review)

July 16th

During a gospel tour of Britain and the Channel Islands…

‘While playing in Guernsey, Cliff and Bill Latham spend a day on the island of Herm renewing their friendship with Major and Mrs. Wood and their family, as they had camped on the island with the Crusaders in the late sixties’.

July

Andy Kershaw begins working as a disc jockey at BBC Radio 1:

‘Almost as soon as I joined Radio 1 in 1985, I was warned by John Walters, my producer at the station, to steer clear of Savile. And, just as quickly, I became familiar with the stories…’

(The Telegraph, 24.03.2013)

August 16th

Publication in Britain of the hardback book ‘Jimmy Savile Introduces Benjamin Rabbit and The Stranger Danger’. Other than the introduction by Savile, the book is written by Irene Keller and is illustrated by Dick Keller. It is described on the lower front cover as ‘What a child needs to know about strangers’.

August 24th

A Norwegian television show starring British stars, Cliff Richard & Shirley Bassey, was blacked out tonight because the two singers had appeared in South Africa and would not promise not to go back. They ran into anti-apartheid demonstrators as soon as they arrived in Norway.

(www.itnsource.com)

August 31st

Polish Youth Conference in Warsaw is visited by Cliff Richard.

September 28th

He guests on ‘Saturday Superstore’ BBC TV show.

November 16th

TX: A new Saturday morning show for children presented by Alison Dowling, Sue Robbie and Tony Slattery in Manchester and Steve Blacknell in Birmingham, studio guests are Cliff Richard and Go West.

(www.itnsource.com)

November 22nd

BBC1 Children In Need includes, among many others, Cliff Richard and Gary Glitter.

November or December

On the BBC TV ‘Saturday Superstore’ Pop Panel, with presenter Mike Read, the video of Cliff’s new single ‘It’s In Every One Of Us’ is shown, in part. Rolf Harris is one of the panel reviewing:

“I didn’t think there was a false note anywhere. The video was just enormously attractive. It was done with such security and simplicity and a cast of thousands and it was really.. Everything looked good and sounded good…”

December

‘Cliff Richard with Hank Marvin, Shakin Stevens and Mike Read, launching the years search for a young British Tennis Ace.’ (mirrorpix)

December 21st

Cliff makes an appearance, again, on the BBC TV programme, ‘Saturday Superstore’, hosted by Mike Read.

Paul Daniels, Princess and Russ Abbot are also guests on this show, and they review new pop videos, along with Cliff and his presenter friend.

Cliff Richard’s Third Annual Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament, Brighton takes place inc. Mike Read and others.

December 23rd

Terry Wogan’s guests on his BBC TV chat show are ‘..Cliff Richard, Loretta Swit from M.A.S.H, John Parr, and chief fixer Jimmy Savile’ (The Guardian)

December 24th

BBC TV show ‘A Song For Christmas’ - an annual children's Christmas Carol competition. The finalists perform their own carols in front of a panel of celebrity judges, one of whom is Cliff Richard.

January 29th & 30th

Cliff makes a radical re-recording of ‘Living Doll’ with actors from the comedy TV show ‘The Young Ones’, and then an accompanying promotional video. The single will be released in aid of the charity, Comic Relief.

February 22nd

Cliff attends a Crusader rally.

March

Release of the single ‘Living Doll’ by Cliff Richard and The Young Ones.

It goes on to make number 1 in the charts in Britain and other countries.

March 22nd

Cliff Richard is once more a guest on BBC TV show ‘Saturday Superstore’, hosted by Mike Read, where he talks about the Comic Relief version of ‘Living Doll’.

April 7th

Preview of ‘Time’ at the Dominion Theatre, London, in the presence of the Duchess of Kent.

April 19th

CR presents the National Viewers and Listeners Association Award to ‘Blue Peter’, at All Souls Church, Langham Place, London.

May 20th

Cliff Richard is photographed with potential young tennis stars at the Dominion Theatre, London to publicise his ‘Search For A Star’.

September 22nd - 24th

Cliff Richard is at Bisham Abbey with aspiring young tennis players as part of his ‘Search For A Star’ tennis project.

October 11th

Yet another appearance on BBC TV programme ‘Saturday Superstore’.

October 29th & 30th

‘The Cliff Richard File’ by Mike Read (with a foreword by Cliff Richard) is launched in Old Compton Street, London and published the next day.

November 27th

Cliff attends Westminster City Council’s Anti-Drugs Lunch at the Rock Garden, where he signs a ‘Say No To Drugs Plaque’ along with other celebrities.

Afterwards he lunches (again?) with Diana, The Princess of Wales, who had also attended the event.

December 8th

He opens Tear Fund Christmas Sale, at St. Peter’s Church, Vere St., London.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:24 PM 

‘Among those in on the secret of Jimmy Savile’s revolting behaviour… was Anthony Burgess, author of A Clockwork Orange. Interviewed in 1987 by a young journalist who now works on this paper, Burgess brought up Savile for no apparent reason, referring to him as “that disgusting man”. When challenged, Burgess replied that he’d heard (but couldn‘t prove) that Savile spends his time luring young girls into his caravan to have sex with them. Because of libel laws, the story never appeared…’

(Matthew Bell, The Independent On Sunday, 14.10.2012)

January 16th

Cliff records for ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ at the Dominion.

February 7th

BBC1 Jim'll Fix It, presented by Jimmy Savile with Cliff Richard & Dave Clark at the Dominion Theatre.

March 4th

Cliff Richard presents awards to the Metropolitan Police competition winners, and is featured on Thames News.

April 11th

The end of Cliff Richard’s year-long stretch as the rock star in ‘Time’ at the Dominion Theatre, London. 700,000 tickets for the musical have been sold during this year of performances.

June 15th

Cliff Richard participates in ‘It’s A Royal Knockout’ in Princess Anne’s team - one of the four teams captained by Royal family members that represent various charities in the competition. The show, filmed at Alton Towers, is hosted by Stuart Hall, Les Dawson and Su Pollard, with Paul Daniels as the chief referee.

July 3rd

Records the LWT show ‘The Dame Edna Experience’, also featuring Sean Connery and Mary Whitehouse.

July 20th

‘Appears on a local show from a school near his home, St. Maur’s Convent’.

July 31st - August 15th

Cliff Richard’s holiday gang stay in Brindisi, Italy and tour the Greek Islands on a yacht owned by London art dealer, David Mason.

September 5th

Cliff takes part in a UNICEF Gala in Germany.

September 12th

'The Dame Edna Experience' TV chat show with Cliff Richard, Mary Whitehouse and Sean Connery is broadcast.

October 14th

A filmed tribute from Cliff is shown on the (Thames TV) broadcast of Alan Freeman’s ‘This Is Your Life’…

Eamonn Andrews to Alan Freeman:

“..The star has never forgotten your influence on his lasting career in pop music - Cliff Richard…’

Alan Freeman’s fellow disc jockeys who appear on the show include:

Ed Stewart, Tony Prince, Mike Read, Dave Lee Travis, Jimmy Savile.

November

‘Esther Rantzen’s Childline Christmas Book [a collection of celebrity christmas cards]’ is published. Page 5 of the book features ‘best wishes’ sent by HRH Prince Edward; The Duke and Duchess of York; The Archbishop of Canterbury, and Margaret Thatcher (Prime Minister). Among the many other contributions in the book are:

A message from Cyril Smith M.B.E., M.P. (p.19)

A card design & message from Jimmy Tarbuck (p.29)

Card designs and messages from both Cliff Richard and Rolf Harris, facing each other on pages 40 & 41.

November 27th

‘Jim Fixes It For Children In Need

Dream-maker Jimmy Savile waves his wand to help a very special girl.’

(Daily Mirror TV listing)

Unknown dates this year

Cliff Richard:

“.I did have a girl send herself to me in a box once. It was at the Manchester Free Trade Hall and she’d got her boss to deliver it and I came into my dressing room and there was this big cardboard box with my name on it. And I thought I’d been sent a TV set. I was really thrilled. I was quite disappointed when this girl jumped out….”

(CRihow)

Jerry Sadowitz LP ‘Gobshite’, recorded in Edinburgh, is released. It includes him saying this:

“There have been serious allegations of child abuse in Cleveland. To my mind there is only one way to find out whether this is true or not and that’s to . . . CALL IN JIMMY SAVILE! You can’t afford to f*** about! Bring in an expert! Am I right? A friend of mine reckons Jimmy Savile is a paedophile. Rubbish — he’s a child-bender! That’s why he does all the f****** charity work: it’s to gain public sympathy for when his f****** case comes up.’

‘Former Fleet Street editor Janet Street-Porter has revealed she was aware of rumours concerning Sir Jimmy Savile's alleged abuse of underage girls when she worked at the BBC during the late 1980s.

Speaking on Question Time, (Janet) Street-Porter, who joined the BBC as an executive in 1987, said: "I was aware of the rumours about Jimmy Savile, I was also aware of rumours about other people.

"There was a culture, and it was a generational thing, in areas of light entertainment behaviour was tolerated."…

Street-Porter also said that even if she had raised the rumours with senior BBC executives nobody would have taken any notice.

"A lot of people in the BBC knew what was going on," she said.

"I heard the rumours but I was working in an environment that was totally male.

"Do you really think that if I said to someone at the BBC higher up than me this was going on - they wouldn't have taken any notice of me whatsoever."’

(Evening Standard, 05.10.2012)

Unknown date this year

Jimmy Savile and Lionel Blair photographed standing next to each other in a group of four men, as well as in a larger group, on board the QE II.

Chris Denning is sentenced to three years in prison for ‘..offences related to having sex with young boys or producing child pornography…’ (The Telegraph)

March 23rd

Spring Ball held in aid of Phab, attended by Prince and Princess Michael Of Kent.

April 20th

‘British singer Cliff Richard, in Israel for Israel’s 40th anniversary celebrations, is seen here with Jerusalem mayor Teddy Kollek… The walls of the Old City can be seen in the background.’

(The Jewish Post & News, 11.05.1988)

May 31st

American evangelist Billy Graham is joined by pop star Cliff Richard at the Ministers and Leaders Meeting at Westminster Central Hall.

June 2nd

Cliff sings ‘When I Survey The Wondrous Cross’ in Ealing for BBC Schools TV programme.

June 13th

Royal Charity Tennis.

June 28th

Mike Read interviews CR for Singapore Airlines programme.

September 22nd

Cliff Richard presents ‘Search For A Star’ tennis awards at Bisham Abbey.

November 21st

Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium, is held before the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. Artistes that feature on the bill include:

Paul Daniels & Debbie McGee; Bob Monkhouse, and Cliff Richard, who performs two songs.

November 26th

Jimmy Savile is now on a task force at Broadmoor Hospital - a high-security psychiatric hospital in Crowthorne, Berkshire:

‘…Mrs Edwina Currie, the junior health minister… said last week: “Under Jimmy Savile’s guidance, shifts in attitude and pattern of delivery of service have already been achieved. He is an amazing man and has my full confidence.” ’

(British Medical Journal)

November 27th

Cliff Richard appears on the Jimmy Tarbuck Show and sings “Mistletoe And Wine”.

December 3rd

“Mistletoe And Wine” is Cliff’s twelfth No.1 single in the British charts.

Cliff Richard charity concert for the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children.

December 17th

Cliff Richard’s Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament - participants including Jimmy Tarbuck and Mike Read - raises £150,000 for his ‘Search for The Star’ scheme.

December 20th

Cliff Richard appears at the Save The Children concert in the Royal Albert Hall, London.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:26 PM 

Cliff Richard:

“Mother Teresa was a true example of humility. I’d give up all my meetings with celebrities, even being one myself, for that 10 minutes with her.”

“Now, at least, I can say with confidence, “Up yours, Jack!” because I helped start it all off! You can’t take anything away from me. What I’m doing is definitely right. I had the biggest-selling single in the country last year. I had a Number One album, Number One single, a Number One CD, a Number One video. I’m 48 and I’m in the charts with Madonna, George Michael and Michael Jackson. The things I did weren’t wrong.

Am I sticking up two fingers to my critics by having a big concert at Wembley? Not as much as two fingers, no. Maybe one finger. No, one finger’s worse than two, isn’t it?….”

(CRihow)

‘I WORKED in BBC House Engineering in the 1980s and was told about Savile, with a warning that comments on his preference for young girls would be "dealt with" by his minders. To say it was common knowledge would be an understatement.’

Sean O'Farrell, N19
Letter to London Evening Standard, 19.03.2013

January 11th

Cliff Richard attends ‘Tear Fund’ meeting in Sydney.

Cliff Richard plays in pro-celebrity tennis tournament in Melbourne.

Cliff Richard attends ‘Tear Fund’ meeting in Auckland and Wellington.

Cliff Richard flies to Singapore and returns to Britain.

February 19th

Attends Rainbow Project at the House of Lords.

April 3rd

Promotional event with Mike Read and 2,000 fans at the London Palladium.

April 15th

At Marty Wilde’s 50th Birthday Party (in Hertfordshire), he gets up and sings ‘..loads of the old rock 'n' roll songs with various members of The Shadows, Tim Rice, Gary Glitter.’

Mrs. Wilde, their daughter Kim and Gary Glitter provide backing vocals for Marty.

(www.wilde-life.com)

April 19th

Discussions with authorities about CR receiving the freedom of the City of London.

May / May 4th

Interviewed for ‘Radio One’ special, also interviewed by Mike Read, discussing all his singles to date.

May 30th

Billy Graham dinner at Guildhall, London.

June 19th

At Foster's Classic charity tennis match in aid of the British Deaf Association, at the David Lloyd Club in South London, Cliff Richard and Mike Read compete, and meet Princess Diana.

June 21st [or 29th?]

Is in the audience of Billy Graham, Crystal Palace.

June 26th

Is in the audience of Billy Graham, Earl’s Court.

June 29th

Pop singer Cliff Richard joins evangelist Billy Graham at Crystal Palace athletics stadium in South London, where 29,000 people gathered to hear the preacher speak during his Mission 89 tour.

July 1st

Is in the audience of Billy Graham, Earl’s Court.

July 4th

‘Billy Graham lunches with Cliff at home’. (CR:TCC)

July 12th

Cliff Richard receives the 'Freedom Of The City Of London', at Guildhall, London.

Summer

Cliff and his holiday gang sail off the coast of Yugoslavia in a yacht owned by art dealer, David Mason.

September 2nd

Cliff presents prizes at St. George’s Hill Tennis Club Junior Tournament.

November 3rd - 5th

CR spends three days in Singapore.

December 14th

The book ‘My Most Embarrassing Moment’ is published by Knight Books, with a foreword by Rolf Harris. It is a collection of tales of embarrassing moments, with all royalties from it going to Phab.

Among the celebrities who contribute to the book are: Nicholas Parsons, Esther Rantzen, Joanna Lumley, Gyles Brandreth and Christopher Biggins.

December 16th

Cliff’s annual Tennis Tournament takes place at Brighton, with Mike Read and other celebrities competing.

December 19th

HM The Queen Is Escorted By Her Daughter HRH Princess Anne, The Princess Royal At the ‘Joy To The World’ Concert At The Royal Albert Hall, to mark the 70th Anniversary of the Save The Children Fund.

The Queen meets participants Cliff Richard and Leo Sayer there.

April 6th

Cliff attends the launch of ‘Search For A Star’ at Cottenham Park, Merton.

April 9th [or 6th?]

Cliff is photographed at Cottenham Park with The Young Tennis Stars Of The Future.

(Rex)

June 12th

Mike Read’s musical ‘Young Apollo’ is premiered at Thorndike Theatre,
Leatherhead, Surrey, with Cliff in attendance.

July 19th

Cliff Richard makes an appearance at the London Palladium for the Queen Mother’s 90th birthday concert. The event otherwise features a large cast of international stars from the worlds of music, theatre, film and television, including Lionel Blair.

July 22nd

An interview with Jimmy Savile conducted by Lynn Barber is published in The Independent On Sunday:

‘..The folder encloses the letter from the Prime Minister offering him a knighthood, the envelope it came in, some bumf about keeping it secret till the proper date and then – proudest of all – telegrams from Charles and Diana, from Prince Philip, a handwritten letter from Angus Ogilvy and a very sweet homemade card with a stuck-on snapshot of Princess Bea, from the Duchess of York. He is almost bursting with pride as he shows them off…

...There has been a persistent rumour about him for years, and journalists have often told me as a fact: "Jimmy Savile? Of course, you know he's into little girls." But if they know it, why haven't they published it? The Sun or the News of the World would hardly refuse the chance of featuring a Jimmy Savile sex scandal. It is very, very hard to prove a negative, but the fact that the tabloids have never come up with a scintilla of evidence against Jimmy Savile is as near proof as you can ever get.

I wasn't sure whether Sir James actually knew what the particular skeleton in his closet was supposed to be, though I notice that he told The Sun five years ago that he never allowed children into his flat. "Never in a million years would I dream of letting a kid, or five kids, past my front door. Never, ever. I'd feel very uncomfortable." Nor, he said, would he take children for a ride in his car unless they had their mum or dad with them: "You just can't take the risk."

Still, I was nervous when I told him: "What people say is that you like little girls." He reacted with a flurry of funny-voice Jimmy Savile patter, which is what he does when he's getting his bearings: “Ah now. Sure. Now then. Now then. First of all, I happen to be in the pop business, which is teenagers – that's No 1. So when I go anywhere it's the young ones that come round me. Now what the tabloids don't realise is that the young girls in question don't gather round me because of me – it's because I know the people they love, the stars, because they know I saw Bros last week or Wet Wet Wet. Now you, watching from afar, might say 'Look at those young girls throwing themselves at him', whereas in actual fact it's exactly the opposite. I am of no interest to them.

A lot of disc jockeys make the mistake of thinking that they're sex symbols and then they get a rude awakening. But I always realised that I was a service industry. Like, because I knew Cliff [Richard] before he'd even made a record, all the Cliff fans would bust a gut to meet me, so that I could tell them stories about their idol. But if I'd said, 'Come round, so that I can tell you stories about me' or 'Come round, so that you can fall into my arms' they'd have said: 'What! On yer bike!'…” ’

July 27th

Cliff Richard records for a Billy Graham video at Bray Studios.

August 4th

Among the artistes who appear in a Royal Gala at the London Palladium celebrating the Queen Mother's 90th birthday, are Lionel Blair, Anita Harris and Cliff Richard.

November 23rd

Cliff appears on ‘Children In Need’ BBC TV telethon.

December 12th

Jimmy Savile’s second ‘This Is Your Life’ TV tribute is broadcast : it includes a letter of praise from Margaret Thatcher, which is shown and read out.

Paul Daniels, Peter Jaconelli and Eric Morley are among the well-known participants who are there to applaud and endorse Savile.

December 16th

Paul Daniels is one of the competitors in Cliff’s Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament, held this year in Brighton.

December 22nd

Cliff performs seven songs, one of which features a children’s choir, on the TV show ‘Going Live!’.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:28 PM 

January 4th

Opens the Harrods Sale. Mohammed Al Fayed donates Cliff’s £50,000 fee to the Daily Express Children of Chernobyl Appeal.

January 7th

Daily Express Children of Chernobyl Appeal:

‘…Pop Superstar Cliff Richard is helping us towards our £250,000 target by donating the proceeds of a concert at Wembley Arena on January 7th - Christmas Day in the Ukraine….’

(Daily Express, 18.12.1990)

March 21st

‘ROCK 4 Romania, a Live-Aid style event hopes to raise more than 2.5 million to help poor and starving orphans and families in Romania. Top pop stars such as Cliff Richard and Paul McCartney will appear. Competitions will be held to find the best local band. The show will kick off in June in London and then tour 33 other cities.’

(The Stage, 21.03.1991)

April 24th

Cliff Richard and Ed Stewart attend (take part in?) the Chris Lane Tennis and Health Club Tournament, at Woking, Surrey in aid of Sarah Brown Body Scanner Appeal for St. Peter’s Hospital.

May 8th

Cliff Richard attends a reception at No.10 Downing Street.

May 25th

Watches Billy Graham in Edinburgh.

June 3rd

CR is interviewed by Tim Rice at EMI’s Abbey Road Studios.

June 4th

Cliff Richard goes to see Billy Graham in Glasgow.

June 21st

Pro-celebrity tennis event at the Royal Albert Hall, London with Frank Bruno and Cliff Richard among the participants.

July 21st

Nottingham: The Princess of Wales is seated between Virginia Wade and Cliff Richard at the opening ceremony of the 1991 Federation Cup. Prior to this, Cliff had joined disc jockey Mike Read on the Radio One Roadshow.

July 23rd

Cliff plays tennis at Federation Cup Children’s Day, Nottingham.

August 28th

At Chilston Park Country House Hotel, Kent, Cliff sees Mike Read’s new musical ‘Oscar’.

September

The new Cliff Richard single ‘More To Life’ is co-written by Mike Read & Simon May.

September 13th

Dinner with the managing director of EMI in Maidstone, Kent.

September 28th

Interviewed by Mike Read for BBC Radio 2 Christmas Special.

December

The Princess of Wales meets Cliff Richard again at London's Royal School of Music after she had attended the annual 'Joy to the World' Christmas spectacular at the nearby Royal Albert Hall.

He founds the Cliff Richard Tennis Foundation:

‘..the UK-based charity has a team of coaches, is on the road throughout the year, taking tennis into state primary schools. So far over 200,000 children have had the chance to try their hand at playing tennis.’

(www.looktothestars.org)

December 14th

Players at Cliff’s Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament, Brighton Centre include Mike Read and Bill Roache.

Unknown date this year

“..I haven’t slept well in years. Sometimes I wake up four or five times on the hour…”

(CRihow)

Unknown date this year

Video of Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile together is made this year:

‘…a video emerged today showing Harris and Savile laughing about how 'we go back a long time' in 1992.

The Australian then sketched Savile smoking a trademark cigar, which was sold for £4,500 at a charity auction after his death in 2012......

(MailOnline, 01.07.2014)

January 1st

Tim Rice makes an appearance on Gary Glitter’s ‘This Is Your Life’.

Gary Glitter had sung one of the parts on the 1970 album release of Rice & Lloyd Webber’s ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ rock musical. At that time, he was still known as Paul Raven.

January 16th

Cliff records a BBC appeal for P.H.A.B. (aka Phab).

February 12th

‘..Visits Kingston School, Manor Hospital in Epsom and Beacon School in Banstead…’

February 13th

Attends premiere of ‘Star Trek VI’ (also in the audience: Jim Davidson, Boy George etc.)

February 18th

He is in Dorking for a Dr. Barnardos photoshoot.

February 20th

Lunch at the House of Commons, and he stays for Question Time.

February 25th

Cliff Richard photographed with a group of children promoting 'Tennis Trail' in London. (Rex)

Launched at the All England Tennis Club, Wimbledon, with Paul Daniels, Debbie McGee and Mike Read among others in attendance.

March 12th

Dinner in Paris with EMI executives.

March 21st

‘Bishop Wand School event in Staines, Middlesex’.

March 24th

An edition in the Forty Minutes documentary series entitled ‘Farewell, Fab 208’ goes out on BBC2:

‘..The documentary shows us the closer look on Radio Luxembourg, featuring the interviews with the former jocks of Luxy and its listeners… The programme follows the entire history of Luxy from the earliest DJs and pioneering commercials.. to the final closedown of the medium wave service on December 29th 1991.

Among the people we see, remembering their wonderful memories of "The Station Of The Stars", are Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Tim Rice and Lord David Sutch aka "Screaming Lord Sutch".

Also, there are legendary jocks like David Jacobs, Pete Murray and Sir Jimmy Saville, Radio One jock Noel Edmonds, David "Kid" Jensen and.. Paul Burnett on Capital Gold….’ (wikia)

At one point in the film, we briefly see fellow disc jockeys, Tony Prince and convicted sex offender, Chris Denning close-up, facing each other.

April 5th

A performance of Mike Read’s ‘Poetry In Motion’ at the Richmond Theatre is attended by Cliff.

April 20th

‘Soulful music, waterfalls, mountains, and then the tag-line “Made by God”. Lichfield diocese invented that, experimentally, ready for January when religious TV advertising becomes legal…

Lichfield has contacted two London ad agencies and helped Thames TV film dummy ads for recent programme. “For the church to ignore advertising would be like St Paul ignoring the boat or Caxton ignoring the printing press,” says communications officer Robert Ellis.

Another ad on his drawing board is “at the soft-sell side,” showing stars such as Cliff Richard and Jimmy Savile with the tag: “They’ll be in Church this Christmas with you.”….’

(Walter Schwartz / Media Guardian ‘Selling God on the box’)

April 25th

Visits Uganda with Bill Latham, for Tear Fund.

May 12th

Mike Read is among the guests on Gloria Hunniford’s TV show devoted to Cliff Richard.

May 14th

Cliff Richard’s presence in the Sunday Times Rich List is reported by The Stage newspaper. He is one of five men whose wealth is estimated at £50 million (the others being: Sean Connery, Robert Earl, Owen Oysten and the Earl of Pembroke).

Apparently, almost the entirety of Cliff’s fortune has been accumulated since 1974, when he had told us:

“..I’m not even worth a hundred thousand pounds tax free. To be honest, I don’t care what I’m worth… In any case I wouldn’t want to be a millionaire. For a Christian that would be a dangerous state to be in… The important thing about money is our attitude towards it. Whether we hoard it or whether we use it selfishly….”

(CRihow)

May 21st

Cliff participates in a Crusader video.

May 28th

Meets a Children In Need auction winner at RG Jones Studios.

June 11th

Photographed ‘..with Joanna Lumley at the Theatre Royal for the Variety Club’.

June 18th

Is at Old Fire Station, Oxford to see the Mike Read musical ‘Oscar’.

June 25th

Cliff participates in a Crusader video.

October 26th

Forty years' reign by Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom, was celebrated at London's Earls Court arena.. The Queen, along with other members of the royal family, British Prime Minister John Major and several leaders of Commonwealth countries, were present to see a spectacular show called "Forty Glorious Years", which featured a cast of 5,000, two choirs and an orchestra…

Clip 1 of 1 (Copyright: REUTERS - SOURCE TO BE VERIFIED)

1. GV EXTERIOR: EARLS COURT 0.05
2. GV ZOOM: ARRIVAL OF PRINCE AND PRINCESS
OF WALES 0.23
3. SV: MAJOR WITH WIFE, NORMA 0.37
4. SV: ARRIVAL OF QUEEN ELIZABETH AND DUKE
OF EDINBURGH 0.41
5. CU: PRINCESS OF WALES 0.43
6. GV, SV: AUDIENCE STANDS FOR THE NATIONAL
ANTHEM/QUEEN AND PARTY (2 SHOTS) 0.57
5. GV ZOOM, CU, SVS: QUEEN MEETING CHILDREN
AND MEMBERS OF CAST INCLUDING CLIFF
RICHARD (3 SHOTS) 1.18
6. PRINCESS OF WALES MEETING CAST 1.24
7. GV: CROWD WATCHES 1.37

(www.itnsource.com)

November 19th

All proceeds from this night’s Cliff Richard show at Wembley Arena goes to NSPCC.

November 20th

Cliff is photographed with National Choirboy of The Year, Gavin Moralee (12) and the National Choirgirl of The Year, Fiona Wright (14) at Wembley Arena during the launch of a carol singing campaign by Abbey National.

December 19th

Tenth Cliff Richard Tennis Tournament proceeds at Birmingham National Indoor Arena. Among those competing are Mike Read and Frank Bruno.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:29 PM 

Unknown date this year

Visit by Prince Philip to the Prince Philip Centre PHAB Club, Leeds.

January 7th

Cliff Richard interviewed about the launch of The Tear Fund African AIDS awareness campaign…

…at press conference says grateful doesn't have AIDS. Holds up video of Compassion. Extract from Compassion when Cliff went on a tour of Uganda and saw all sick people.

(www.itnsource.com)

May

Cliff Richard, Tim Rice and director Frank Dunlop meet at London’s Langham Hilton to discuss the “Heathcliff” project.

June 13th

The Princess of Wales chats to Cliff Richard during the Stelle Artois Championships at Queen's Club (with them is a friend of the Princess, Kate Menzies).

Cliff Richard sits in the Royal Box at Wimbledon.

Cliff meets Princess Margarita of Romania and five children from Chernobyl.

September 1st

Publication of the 96-page paperback edition of ‘Cliff Richard's Favourite Bible Stories.’

September 3rd

‘Cliff Richard is to make his stage musical comeback starring in a new £4.5 million rock musical of Wuthering Heights, next year. It is being specially created for him by hit songwriter John Farrar… lyricist Tim Rice, and theatre director Frank Dunlop…

He has always wanted to play Heathcliff, the romantic hero and tormented lover of Emily Bronte’s novel…

Frank Dunlop:

“It is really about a man possessed by the devil and he only gets rid of it by dying.” ’

(Daily Express)

Cliff records at Central Hall Westminster for Tear Fund’s ‘Songs Of Praise’.

Cliff records for Cilla Black’s TV Anniversary Special.

Cilla Black’s TV show transmitted, Cliff Richard performs "Never Let Go" and duets with Cilla Black on "That’s What Friends Are For".

October 28th

Publication of ‘Cliff Richard: The Complete Chronicle’ by Mike Read, Nigel Goodall and Peter Lewry.

December

‘..Since the show started Jim’ll Fix It has received more than three million requests and granted over 1,500 of them.

When cigar-chomping Jimmy (Savile) first began fixing it, the most frequent request was from teeny boppers who wanted to meet The Osmonds.

But by far the most requested celebrity has been someone else who has defied the years - Cliff Richard.

“The mums love him, the daughters love him. He’s timeless,” said Jimmy…..’

(Daily Mirror, 29.12.1993)

Unknown date this year

‘Former Sunday Mirror editor Paul Connew has revealed that the paper did not expose Jimmy Savile as a serial child sex offender in 1994 because it could not afford to lose a libel trial.

Connew said the paper would have lost a defamation trial with Savile partly because the two victims who came to him, from Duncroft school, did not want to be named.

The editor, who believed their stories, also said the paper would have lost because, at the time, libel trials were overseen by juries who were likely to have been “starstruck” by Savile.

“In truth, at the time, post-Maxwell, the Sunday Mirror had limited resources [and] we were having to lose staff,” he said, at a Centre for Investigative Journalism lecture held at City University, London.

Connew pointed out that the paper did not have evidence of how widespread the allegations were at the time. “We just didn’t have the resources or the evidence to mount an investigation,” he said….’

(William Turvill, Press Gazette, 15.07.2013)

March 5th

‘SINDERELLA CAMBRIDGE THEATRE, Earlham Street, WC2...

Jim Davidson turns the traditional panto blue. With Charlie Drake and Jess Conrad. From Mar 7.…’

(Daily Express)

June 12th

‘Surprise Surprise’ presented by Cilla Black. Guests include Lionel Blair, Cliff Richard and Bruno Brookes.

June

Cliff Richard presents a Children In Need prize.

?Circa-July

‘It must have been about twenty years ago, I was at a dinner party (unusual for me). One of the guests edited a teen mag. She got good and pissed and started to shock us all with tales of Savile, then Harris. “Everybody” knew. I was sceptical, as if it had been true I felt they’d have been less prominent or even banged up. Oh how naïve!

So who next?’

ZankFrappa / guardian.com / 03.07.2014

September

Cliff Richard records for Children in Need.

November 25th

Ed Stewart, Mike Read and Tony Blackburn take part in a Gary Glitter tribute on BBC TV during the Children In Need telethon.

Transit
Owner

No score for this post
September 29 2016, 7:32 PM 

Cliff Richard visits with children at the Aboim Ascencao Orphanage in Faro, Portugal.

January 26th

‘Singapore, Wednesday

SINGER Cliff Richard favours strict discipline, including Singapore-style caning, he told The Straits Times newspaper in an interview published today.

The pop singer, 54, who was born in India, said his upbringing during
British colonial rule gave him a deep appreciation for the law, even if
enforcement included caning.

''If something is against the law, there must be some punishment. Otherwise, don't have laws,'' the paper quoted him as saying.

''My father was a strict man. I remember coming home from school once
and I told him my teacher caned me. And my father caned me again,'' he
said…..’

May 1st

Audiobook of ‘Cliff Richard: The Biography’ by Steve Turner is released, read by Paul Gambaccini.

May 7th

VE Day Holiday / BBC1 Buckingham Palace : The Day Peace Broke Out :
Cliff Richard

“Singing at VE Day 50th Anniversary celebration was a very moving experience / Vera Lynn was an inspiration to people during the war, it touched my heart in a major way / when military aircraft flew overhead I had a lump in my throat even though I consider myself a pacifist / found myself wishing I had been a part of it (World War 2).”

(CR, 04.2006)

June

Cliff Richard celebrates his Knighthood with his sisters, mother and gave a party to the staff of ‘Cliff Richard Organization’ and close friends.

August 24th

ROYALS-QUEEN MOTHER

ITN: Buckingham Palace sing along with Cliff Richard 'Congratulations', Vera Lynn 'White Cliffs of Dover', Harry Secombe seen. Flypast Lancaster, Boeing B17 Flying Fortress, B 25 Mitchell, Mosquito, B38 Lightning, Hawker Hurricane, Meteor jet, Red Arrows, mini parachute ...

(www.itnsource.com)

October 25th

The formal investiture of Cliff Richard as Knight Bachelor took place at 10.30 a.m. in Buckingham Palace.

“My knighthood I would say was my best award, I didn't expect it / in the past I thought they went to actors, industry figures and so I quietly went round and got OBE which really pleased and then got letter saying would I like to accept a knighthood and I was like yes!! / because I'd been involved in charity work, this was wonderful and when I went to collect gong I got all dressed up, I bought green morning suit, its very emotional / so nervous, she came with the sword and then lean forward and then put medal on you, but didn’t say arise 'Sir Cliff' / I think her words were ' this was a long time coming' / I couldn’t get the words out / I was close to tears and it was a moving time, it was terrific experience….”

(CR, 04.2006)

November 19th

The Queen meets Cliff Richard at this evening's Royal Variety performance at the Dominion Theatre, London.

December 24th

Channel 4’s The Big Breakfast has as guests:

Gary Glitter, Cliff Richard (interviewed) and Neil Sedaka.

Unknown date [c.1996]

Sir Cliff Richard plays ‘The Young Ones’ with clarinettist, Julian Bliss, aged 7, on the TV Show ‘Record Breakers’.

February 26th

Stephanie Lush, a young girl who had both of her legs amputated due to meningitis is photographed with Cliff Richard.

March

Chris Denning sentenced to ten weeks in prison for publishing indecent photographs.

March 9th

‘ST ALBANS: Cliff Richard joined 1100 Crusaders at a service in the Abbey.. to celebrate the organisation’s 90th birthday.’

(Church Times, 29.03.1996)

March 25th

Princess Alice Hospice 10th Anniversary :

Queen Mother arrival. cs bad legs. Meets staff, Cliff Richard. vs chats with inmates. Strokes retriever blind dog. Cuts anniversary cake, presents portrait of herself to hospice official.

(www.itnsource.com)

April 21st

‘Happy Birthday Ma’am’ documentary.

December 18th

Sir Cliff Richard is photographed with Midlands youngsters who are receiving coaching and funding from the Cliff Richard Tennis Development Trust. Sir Cliff joined them at Billesley Indoor Tennis Centre to limber up for his Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament which takes place at Birmingham NIA on Saturday (21st).

February 23rd

Sir Cliff Richard takes time out from the play "Heathcliff" to help in the assessment of 22 budding young tennis players at the David Lloyd Club, Raynes Park, Surrey… for the Development Trust.

September 6th

Cliff Richard attends the funeral service for Princess Diana.

September 19th

Lots of celebrities are honouring Diana at a fund-raising lunch in the West End which she had been due to host. Money raised from the event will help under privilege children and a Jamaican hospital.

LB; B 4036 0.20; arrivals; Joanna Lumley, Sir Cliff Richard, Naomi Campbell into bldg.

LB; LIVE LINK IV'S; 2.30 SEE ROT; Sir Cliff Richard and Joanna Lumley.

(www.itnsource.com)

November 13th

PRINCE CHARLES: Prince Charles was at the Grosvenor House Hotel attending celebrations marking 50years of India independence.

NIGHT: (most men in dinner jackets & bow ties) ENGLAND EXT: indian, union jack & hotel flag; BARS; various arrivals London W1 - mostly indian couples; Int: sir david steele down step with Park Lane man; sir cliff richard seen arriving - only a brief shot; Grosvenor lord jeffrey archer & wife mary; cliff richard standing; House paddy ashdown shakes & hugs man; paddy's wife him paddy; Hotel sir edward heath arrives as thru door towards; jack straw thru door towards & shakes; william hague & ffion jenkins arrive as thru door towards; lord james callaghan & wife thru door towards; tony blair thru door towards & shakes; john & norma major thru door towards & shake; blair & john major chatting; prince charles shaking & chatting line-up; blair in bv chatting prince charles they all away: END OF FEED:

(www.itnsource.com)

November 20th

ROYALTY: Queen and Prince Philip: Golden wedding anniversary:

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have attended a thanksgiving service to mark their 50th wedding anniversary. They later mingled with crowds outside Westminster Abbey before travelling to Downing Street for a drinks with PM Tony Blair MP. They then attended a banquet at the Mansion House attended by others celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

ITN
ENGLAND: London: Whitehall:
EXT
Sir Cliff Richard embraces singer Shirley Bassey
Sir Cliff Richard interviewed - Occasion was wonderful / Glad to be there
Jockey Walter Swinburn out and interviewed - Sat next to Queen / A great honour
Athlete Sally Gunnell along and interviewed - Honoured to be invited
Rowan Atkinson away

(www.itnsource.com)

December 9th

Sir Cliff Richard performs and sings at the ‘Children At Crisis’ concert. 1000's of school children sing with many celebrities at the charity concert in front of the Duchess of York.

Cliff is interviewed about the Children's Christmas Carol Concert on ‘London Tonight’ TV show.

December 16th

Sir Cliff Richard joked with Princess Alexandra during the interval of the ‘Joy To The World’ concert at the Royal Albert Hall, London.

December 20th

Celebrities who take part in this year’s Cliff Richard Pro Celebrity Tennis Tournament at the National Indoor Arena, Birmingham include Sir Cliff Richard, Gloria Hunniford, Kevin Keegan, Bobby Davro, Ainsley Harriott and Rolf Harris.

Among the songs that Cliff performs onstage, is ‘Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport’, in a duet with Rolf Harris.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to FMF Index