Return to Index  

Crisco also works for grinding

May 6 2010 at 5:06 PM
No score for this post

Dave  (Login greasy46)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 24.192.53.251

Response to Re: Crisco hmmm? I'll have to try that! nt

I had tried just about everything over the years to surface grind aluminum, but it was always a pain. The shop I am at now, that taught me about crisco, had another trick for the stuff......... you microwave it, and soak a surface grinder wheel in it. Not the whole wheel, just run it slowly by hand through a trough of the stuff heated to almost boiling, and let it wick up into the wheel. Then, when it cools, it will not fly off the wheel, ANd it will prevent galling and heating up that is common with grinding aluminum. Of course, painting a thin coat on the surface you are grinding helps as well, that can be done in the original thick, "natural" state....
One note, when we do this on fixture bases, (large), we use a wet grinder (larger!), but again, just a crisco soaked wheel, no coolant. BUT.... when you are done, you must clean everything, and it helps to put down newspaper first as well. Shop vac all the residue out, or it will cause your coolant to "turn" in a few days, as in.... rot..! If you clean the machine well, this is not a problem...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• We make - Ratite on May 18, 2010, 10:39 AM
  •  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486