<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

More Soccer Misery Today

June 28 2012 at 7:53 AM

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

I have watched every single minute of the last few matches. By my count, I have now sat through two full games through regulation and two full overtime periods without a single goal being scored.

That would be 90 minutes x 2 games of no goals and 30 mins overtime x 2 of no goals. By my count that is 240 minutes of NO SCORING in one of soccer's premier events.

Then we get this goofy penalty kick finish, which has been poorly regarded for as long as I can remember watching soccer, which is usually once every four years for the World Cup (now every 2 years due to some mild interest in the EURO Cup). Back to the penalty kick finish- the world's greatest player Ronaldo did not even get to participate yesterday given the poor decision by Portugal to save him for last kick.

Well, today is the other semi final match between Germany and Italy. Hopefully, someone will score a goal.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Cherokee Scot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

Re: More Soccer Misery Today

June 28 2012, 8:38 AM 

Jason, I thought you Americans loved no hitters !

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 8:45 AM 

A masterful performance by a goalkeeper would be one thing. Ultra conservative offenses, playing not to lose is quite another.

Tell me if you disagree, but it seems to me Germany has no problem with aggression and does not understand the meaning of a conservative attack. That gives me hope for today's match.

Spider
(Login spiderjohn)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:34 AM 

The Germans are notorious cheaters who will always lay down for a price.
Last time that I was in London, they played a closing game vs. a small country that had never won a game
in the tournament. A lifetime ofer. The Germans played stall ball throughout, and it was blatantly obvious.
Ended 0-0, with everyone who played the Germans losing huge $$.
Investigation revealed that a major fix had taken place. Dozens were implicated and banned.
Bookie shops made out huge.
It was the Saturday night of the last day of the Royal Ascot meet.
I had bet the races at Billy Hill's, went back to cash, and put 200£ on
Germany to make a little getaway money. Will never forget those crooked bastards.

Cherokee Scot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:49 AM 

Spider , I remember that game well but if it is the same game (fits in with Royal Ascot timetable) Germany actually won. Here's the details

West Germany versus Austria was a 1982 FIFA World Cup game played at the El Molinón stadium, Gijón, Spain, on 25 June 1982.

In German, it is known as Nichtangriffspakt von Gijón (lit. Non-aggression pact of Gijón)or Schande von Gijón (lit. Disgrace of Gijón).

The match was the last game of the first-round Group 2, with Algeria and Chile having played the day before. With the outcome of that match already decided, a win by one or two goals for West Germany would result in both them and Austria qualifying at the expense of Algeria, which had beaten West Germany in the first game. After 10 minutes, West Germany took the lead. Thereafter, neither team scored, and few scoring chances were created. Onlookers noted that both teams played as though they were content with the result, giving the impression of them having an unspoken agreement to play for a 1-0 German win.

After 10 minutes of furious attack, West Germany succeeded in scoring through a goal by Horst Hrubesch. After the goal was scored, the team in possession of the ball often passed between themselves in their own half until an opposition player came into the vicinity of the ball. The ball was then passed back to the goalkeeper. Isolated long balls were played into the opposition's half, with little consequence.
This performance was widely deplored by all observers. German ARD commentator Eberhard Stanjek at one point refused to comment on the game any longer. Austrian commentator Robert Seeger bemoaned the spectacle and actually requested that the viewers should switch off their television sets.

Likewise, many spectators were not impressed and voiced their disgust with the players. Chants of "Fuera, fuera" ("Out, out") were screamed by the appalled Spanish crowd, while angry Algerian supporters waved banknotes at the players. The match was criticized even by the German and Austrian fans who had hoped for a hot rematch of the 1978 World Cup match, in which Austria had beaten West Germany; one German fan burned the national flag in protest.

Spanky
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:55 AM 

Oddly enough, Kraft went on to say he didn't want HIS New England Patriots to move across the pond.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft may have no interest in owning an English soccer club, but he definitely wants to see someone own an English NFL franchise.
According to Neil Reynolds of Sky Sports, Kraft has said during a speaking engagement in England he believes the NFL should have a team in London.
I personally think we should have a franchise in London and that is something I am going to push for, Kraft said. I think I said that the last time we were over here in 2009 and before this next decade is out, I hope we have a team here. I think that would be right for the NFL and this fan base has proven they deserve it.

(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:58 AM 

Spanky, while I appreciate your efforts in krafting the last response, in case you had not noticed this is a Euro soccer thread. We will get more than enough of your namby pamby NFL later in the year happy.gif

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 10:26 AM 

Honestly, can you really ever get enough NFL football? Do the fans still show up with those nerve rackin' horns or whatever they are? Try bringing that noise to Cowboys Stadium and Bubba will not be happy!

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 11:05 AM 

NFL Football: Squat, grunt, 5 seconds of action, dogpile, 30 second cuddle-up, repeat. Often this high intensity is interrupted by 5-10mins of replay stall. Can't wait......

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 11:54 AM 

FYI Gooch. I'm gonna put a mutha of a Cooler curse on those Giants starting now! They may not win another game till the break! happy.gif

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 12:06 PM 

Yet the Giants SHUTOUT the Dodgers 3 in a row in SF (first time EVER) and it could NOT be more exciting and sweet.

I'm actually gonna go out and buy a LA Times today. GOTTA see what they have to say. :>))))

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 12:49 PM 

If Lincecum is indeed "back" then Jints will be contendahs. Not entirely convinced, however. Let's see a few more. The Dodgers going Ofer here, even in their injury riddled state, is sweet music, though.

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 1:44 PM 

Jinx starts today. Spiders Reds are headed West to kick start the misery. Hey, Mr. Hauck...nice of ya to drop in on us!

spiderjohn
(Login spiderjohn)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 1:54 PM 

No Cherokee
I believe that this happened in 2004, and ended up 0-0
Very sure of that--lost money
Can't remember the other pitiful team though

Cherokee Scot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 2:27 PM 

You're memory is correct Spider as Germany drew 0-0 with lowly Latvia in the Euro championships of 2004. Not sure about cheating though as their failure to win got them knocked out of the tournament but it was still a shocking result.

spiderjohn
(Login spiderjohn)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 4:23 PM 

My memory is also correct on the rest of the story.
A while after getting home, I read about the wide-spread scandal involving the
German team, coaches and officials. It was a very big deal, and obvious to the
un-trained soccer(I can't call it football) eyes in my head. Would have loved to penalty
kick those kraut cheaters. Hate that game.

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 4:41 PM 

Much more exciting today. Italy dominated the first half and part of the second half. Germans rallied furiously to score a goal and take many other quality shots. Not to be. Actually looking forward to Sunday's finals.

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 4:54 PM 

Hey Spank, I drop in every week to score two golf contests.

No one really seems to give a rat's patootie.

I mean, Tom Williams picks Webb Simpson - that's WEBB SIMPSON - to win the US Open and not a single attaboy or word from anyone.

Eh, whaddyagonnado.

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 4:58 PM 

We simply have come to expect the best from Tom. He is top notch all the way around! Nonetheless, WTG Tom!

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 5:19 PM 

Forza Azzuri!! Exciting game by world class competitors, and the good guys winning! Like Jason, I only get interested for World or Euro Cups with an occasional shot of Champions League. So I haven't seen that much over the years. However, whenever I do see it at a world class level, I marvel at the skill and athletic ability of the players, along with their incredible endurance. Coupled with the passion of the crowd, it's an awesome event. Beats watching Tim Tebow throw knuckleballs or Beanie Wells dive into the line, that's for sure. OK, Spanky, I teed it up for you. have at it. wink.gif

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 5:53 PM 

Or worse than any of the things you mentioned Gooch- having to endure all 60 minutes of a Cowboy game. Wait, the last five minutes is mildly amusing when watching Tony Romo puke down his leg for another choke job wink.gif

Spanky
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 7:55 PM 

Let's see...Mr. Hauck feels neglected over his golf contest, Gooch has a tee it up reference and Mr. Baker lobs a Romo bomb from the Okie side of the Red River...so many rebuttals, so little time!

Being the politically correct kinda guy I am...what's the shelf life of the word belated pertaining to congrats on picking a golf major winner? happy.gif

All of this AND a Republican was the swing vote FOR Obamacare in the Supreme Court?...It's the end of time I tell ya!

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 8:06 PM 

Well, I doubt that Xcellent will be killing himself making trophies again anytime soon.

Hey, wait'll you guys get a load of the SOCCER contests I have in mind for '13!

:>)))

(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 8:15 PM 

Jesus Christ. Is this what I miss by staying away from the sports forum 90% of the time? Thread is about soccer. Swings to the NFL. Takes a turn to baseball. Couple golf references. Nice little political twist about Obamacare at the end. What in the hell man. How do you guys keep up?

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 8:23 PM 

Yeah, Mike. And NOW it's got a little religion to boot!

:>))

Spanky
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 8:42 PM 

With all due respect Mike, anytime ya wanna throw a sports subject in, feel free bro! happy.gif

Ok, let's call it like it is...WE WANT FOOTBALL! There. Said it. And fantasy football to boot. And I precict if Mr. Hauck comes up with a soccer contest half as good as his golf contest, I may have to actually watch a game...well, jury's out on that, don't wanna get a carried away...Mr. Baker, please check in...just wanna make sure you didn't croak from boredom...lol...

Of course, I blame it all on the Kilted Wonder. And Eli Manning.

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:09 PM 

Spanky, the chances of me running a soccer contest here are about as good as Sandusky's throwing out the first pitch at the LLWS.

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:38 PM 

Trademark that phrase, Jerry. It's a keeper.

Spanky, football has no reason to be, other than as an excuse to eat sausages and drink beer.....and who needs an excuse to drink beer.

Thought Kennedy would have voted the right way. Should have been 6-3 happy.gif

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:38 PM 

Mr. Hendry will be disappointed to hear that Mr. Hauck...lol...ok, Mike, if you're inclined, please run down the G=Men's outlook this year...record?

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 9:41 PM 

Mike- I would have better luck keeping my 2 year old on task then keeping Spanky focused on the thread topic.

Final match should be fun Sunday. Then on to British Open. Then to the Olympics. All with a little baseball sprinkled in.

Oh the dog days of summer. Thank God that Del Mar and Saratoga are right around the corner.

Cherokee Scot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

June 28 2012, 11:04 PM 

Jason , it's The Open not the British Open happy.gif

Current Topic - More Soccer Misery Today  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index