Forum Owner

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

Threads and Dreams...

July 16 2012, 5:51 PM 

Just wanted to touch on a couple of subjects...any doubt that the Dream Team of Micheal, Magic and Bird would have run these guys off the court? Team USA would beat Team USA 2012 by 20!

And what's up with this horse pucky of the USA's threads made in China? Thoughts?

[linked image]

Dell
(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

Olympic Schedule

July 26 2012, 11:34 AM 

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

...and POOF!, the Greek disappears.

July 26 2012, 12:18 PM 

DQ: Greek Jumps High

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

Re: Olympic Fever... Catch It!

July 26 2012, 1:29 PM 

Get ready for an overdose of Bob Costas. Might be time to revive the philosophy thread.....

Spanky
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

Badactor...

July 26 2012, 3:31 PM 

At first glance without my glasses on...this is what I thought I saw on that chart you put up...Thanks for the chart though!...lol...

[linked image]

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

July 27 2012, 9:29 PM 

Heather & I are looking forward to this evening's Olympic Opening Ceremony...
it will take an amazing effort to match the show they put on in China!

Spanky
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

July 27 2012, 10:08 PM 

If Jon Gruden appears tonight I'm gonna puke.

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

I contend...

July 28 2012, 11:04 AM 

2012 was the greatest Olympic opening ever! From the Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd to an amazing pyro show, Mr. Bean and 007! Even the Queen kicked up her heels a bit...well done London, well done indeed!

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

I don't own a gun, but if I did...

July 29 2012, 11:11 AM 

I would have put a bullet through the screen, right where Ryan Seacrest was. Then downstairs and another one for Bob Costas, who appears to be having a facelift contest with Bruce Jenner and/or Phyllis Diller. NBC is pathetic. Show the events and shut up!

...and a happy Sunday to you all wink.gif

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

July 29 2012, 11:39 AM 

I AGREE 100% 'GOOCH!

I prefer Seacrest to Costas,
but Merideth & Matt yammering ad nauseum is the worst.

It's the NBC Olympics Show... I just want The Olympics!

TC
(Login calabres)
UpInClass Member

July 29 2012, 11:41 AM 

that just seems somewhat unAmerican. Not that you want to shoot people...that's very American. That you don't own a gun...that's the part that seems well almost Canadian.

I just felt i could post that comment...you did say you didn't have a gun!

(Login JBaker826)
UpInClass Member

July 29 2012, 12:07 PM 

TC- 'gooch lives in SF. Pretty sure if you own a gun in SF they put you on the super secret watch list.

Olympics have been very cool so far. Big thumbs down to NBC for not showing Phelps race live yesterday, though.

Spanky
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

July 29 2012, 12:48 PM 

Reason #44 Texans are different than left coasters...all Texans are packin'... just sayin'... wink.gif

Danny Boyle may have done a great job of putting the opening together but Meredith should elbow Barbara and get back on The View.

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

July 29 2012, 12:49 PM 

More prime time pablum. Even when you know it is coming it is still aggravating. Unwatchable as a replay show.
Hooper

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

July 29 2012, 2:26 PM 

I have a squirt gun, does that count?

Hey Jason, in SF all the money that elsewhere is spent on armaments goes to medical marijuana.

TC, shooting a TV is very un-American. We put the boob in tube.

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

July 30 2012, 12:42 PM 

The only reason spanky is packing is cuz a half dozen bookies might come busting thru his door at any time.

(Login bigdaddy-915)
Stewards

July 30 2012, 1:03 PM 

is it just me or is Costas looking like Dick Clark of late...just sayin'

b.d.

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

August 5 2012, 7:06 PM 

Finally got around to catching the streaming video on NBC.com. Saw the 100m final live, and a number of other gold medals (no spoiler here!). Picture quality is good. This is the way to go. No Costas. No Seacrest. No Rowdy Gaines. No jabbering talking heads whatsoever. See it live and you don't have to stay up till midnight. They still bombard you with commercials, but that's what the mute is for.

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

August 13 2012, 10:05 AM 

Dell
(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

The NBC Olympics Show

August 13 2012, 11:00 AM 

[linked image]
[linked image]

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

Best writing on the Olympics

August 13 2012, 10:26 PM 

From Grantland:

Q: Tug of War was an Olympic sport from 1900-1920. Check it out. How have they NOT brought this back? The strategic considerations are endless and probably meaningless. I'm pretty convinced that virtually no insight or understanding is even remotely necessary to form an opinion about Tug of War. In other words: this is perfect for sports/entertainment media. Threshold decision do you form a national team from scratch or draw from your country's Olympic delegation, with Tug of War held just before the closing ceremonies? I favor the latter. Maybe someone like Regis could be the coach. Or you could go a different direction and have Bobby Knight stand there with his hands on his knees face beet-red screaming "pull! pull! pull!" over and over again and then punch Ryan Reynolds or whatever squishy celebrity gets pushed onto the team by the marketing guys. All that being said, if it were solely up to me, the choice for coach would be obvious Martin Kove. Initially, I figured you'd need a men's, women's, and mixed categories. But really, we should just let each country decide who to put on their squad and let things ride. Rope don't lie, as Rasheed Wallace (and possible Tug of War sideline reporter?) might say. Finally, I would like to see a throwback USA-USSR match. For whatever reason, the IOC decided to dump Tug of War in 1920, just as the Bolsheviks were consolidating their grip on power in Russia, depriving the world of decades of American-Soviet matches that would have made the Cuban missile crisis look like an episode of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. At the very least, there wouldn't be any boycotting. The 1980 hockey team is a footnote if, also that year, the Americans had gone to Moscow and beat the Soviets at Tug of War on their own commie soil. There's just no way you boycott when Tug of War is on the program. Put simply the absence of Tug of War for the past century might very well be one of the greatest travesties in Olympic history. Easy as it may be to hang your national pride on the performance of a bunch of pre-teen gymnasts once every four years, there is nothing more fundamental to national identity as Tug of War. It is the consummate sport for a global competition in which it is still okay to make distinctions solely based on nationality. Actually, it's not okay to do this, especially if you have a Twitter account. Which makes Tug of War all the more important. I know the chances of this email seeing the light of day are as slim as Tug of War ever making it back to the Olympics. But if there is any place where futile, mildly interesting, and extraordinarily dorky bouts of activism can surface briefly before being buried beneath a 5,000-word dissection of the last episode of Downton Abbey, it's Grantland. Tug of War in 2016.
Scott Stone, Washington, D.C.

SG: I don't know if that was the greatest Mailbag question of all time, but it's certainly on the short list. Anyone growing up in the 1970s remembers those epic tug-of-war battles that concluded both The Superstars and Battle of the Network Stars in both cases, wild horses couldn't have dragged me away from the TV when they were happening.

Here's how I think it could work: On the night of the Closing Ceremony, the two countries ranked no. 1 and no. 2 for total medals have a tug-of-war showdown. Ten people on each team five male, five female that have to come from 10 different sports/events. In other words, you couldn't stack your team with three weight lifters or whatever. Oh, and everyone participating in the tug-of-war HAD to have won gold medals. And there's a weight limit per team you can't exceed, say, 2,000 pounds for your 10 athletes. So let's say our team ended up being Kevin Love, Jordan Burroughs, Ryan Lochte, Ashton Eaton, David Boudia, Missy Franklin, Allyson Felix, Misty May-Treanor, Candace Parker and team captain Abby "I'm a total badass and there's no way we're losing this" Wambach. And we were battling 10 Chinese gold medalists for the tug-of-war gold. Um you'd turn the channel during this? Scott Stone, you're an American hero.

Q: I just finished the ESPN article on the sexfest that is Olympic Village. My thought is why are the organizers providing condoms? Aren't these the people we need reproducing? Isn't the world going to be better off generations from now with a human race made from Michael Phelps knocking up Hope Solo and the like? Considering the rate dumb rednecks or crackheads are popping out kids, the Olympic committee should be discouraging condoms, right? Not only can we begin a race of super humans, it's clearly going to bridge cultural gaps and fostering unity across the globe. We can singly end war as we know it with one mixed US/Chinese gymnast or Israeli/Iranian boxer. Plus this super race of humans will be better suited to defend earth from the inevitable alien invasion that would otherwise wipe out lazy slobs like the rest of us.
Roni, Houston

SG: Yup, these are my readers.

Current Topic - Olympic Fever... Catch It!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index