<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

US Open

June 16 2017 at 2:28 PM

spanky126  (Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

Awaiting to see where the cut line will be but so far my picks in Mr. Haucks contest have bombed! On the plus side, I doubt many saw this leader board coming! I have to say that 50 year old Steve Stricker has been amazing but his caddy (his wife) is even more amazing! Smart move though...if they win they keep the 20% usually paid to the caddy in their pocket!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
'shoes
(Login wshoes2)
UpInClass Member

Re: US Open

June 16 2017, 4:00 PM 

The play of amateurs so far has been impressive.

bylandbysea
(Login bylandbysea)
UpInClass Member

June 16 2017, 9:22 PM 

Rory Hackilroy is carrying around too much baggage right now. Injury,Marriage,Lack of playing time. He may be toast for the rest of this year. He's not alone though as many big names missed the cut.

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 17 2017, 6:34 PM 

Buncha guys in pink playing a nondescript course. It will be good to get back to the real deal at Shinnecock next year. What's up with Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, etc. ? blah. Next 10 years look good, though.

This message has been edited by frangooch on Jun 17, 2017 6:35 PM

spanky126
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 17 2017, 10:05 PM 

It is a little different in Cheeseland. I love it. Almost like The Open. Good to see these guys having to think about their shots instead of theses cookie cutter courses
they play now!

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 17 2017, 10:26 PM 

Spank, they are eating this course up. That doesn't happen on a real open layout.

'shoes
(Login wshoes2)
UpInClass Member

June 18 2017, 8:36 AM 

Think they were counting on more wind and harder greens to put the bite in the course. I love the Masters for the sameness of Augusta. I love the US Open because it is on such a wide variety of courses. My favourite- The Open- is yet to come.

spanky126
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 18 2017, 10:05 AM 

Totally agree 'shoes. The Open is great, especially at St. Andrews! I assume the PGA will be getting some feedback on this course and we won't be seeing an Open in Wisconsin for a few decades! Packers and cheese.

This message has been edited by spanky126 on Jun 18, 2017 10:11 AM

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 18 2017, 11:27 AM 

I also appreciate the US Open for the variety of courses, as long as they are great courses, which Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, etc., are not. Check the courses lined up for the next 10 years--they all qualify wink.gif

The Open is a nice mix--a limited variety of great and historic courses, each evoking memories of great players, shots, golf.

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 18 2017, 11:47 AM 

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

June 18 2017, 12:13 PM 

I will be watching today with the sound off as always.

Fox announcers are beyond horrible.

''gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 18 2017, 9:24 PM 

Fowler played like a gelding. Didn't attack a single hole until 18, when he was well out of it. Will never win a major. Btw, nice pants.

spanky126
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 19 2017, 10:39 AM 

Agreed Big. Joe Buck? Curtis Strange sounds depressed. Azinger was the best of the lot imo. Where's Bob Uecker when ya really need him?

'shoes
(Login wshoes2)
UpInClass Member

June 19 2017, 11:33 AM 

Who do you guys like calling golf? I agree that Joe Buck is out of place, but I think Jim Nantz has been not so good for about the last 10 years. Johnny Miller is entertaining though he was an extremely poor sport when asked about Justin Thomas's round on Saturday.

As one who is in multiple golf pools I continue to be irritated by how you will hardly ever see guys who are very much in contention (but not in the lead) if they are not a big name, yet we have to see a large number of Spieth's shots even when he is hopelessly out of it. All of the networks are guilty of that. It started with Tiger, then as he faded, Phil, and now it is Spieth.

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

June 19 2017, 12:36 PM 

Miller was a poor sport, true enough, but that has nothing to do with his announcing. He's the best. Still like the Nance/Faldo combination. CBS has the best on-course announcers.

Fox is awful. Too bad they signed such a long contract...

IMO Miller's round at Oakmont is light years better that Koepka's on the muni they just played. Fox made far too big a deal out of it while a good young golfer was winning his first major--seems like they hardly mentioned that.

spanky126
(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

June 19 2017, 2:34 PM 

True that. Nance seems to me is as solid as they come. Joe Buck just rides his papa's coattails imo. I'm a little bias but why not give my main man Troy a shot?...lol...

mattcoll
(Login mattcoll)
UpInClass Member

US Open

June 19 2017, 4:33 PM 

I've been to the US Open at Shinnecock and Winged Foot. It was a change from the typical tour event. Guys would hit it in the rough and chop it out....aim at fast greens with no bail out and tiny targets. It was fun (for the fans) to see these guys melt down once a year and watch them play a game most golfers are familiar with, with lots of poorly struck shots and angry reactions. Not always, but often this set up identifies guys who played incredible golf for four days, physically and mentally.

If last weekend's tournament was called the PGA Championship, I wouldn't complain. It was a lengthy hard course and a bunch of young guys bombed it off the tee and the best putters of that group won.

Imagine if a current Masters winner broke par on all four rounds of the US Open. We would be talking grand slam, right? Sergio did just that and got beat by 20 guys and 10 shots.

No thanks.

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

June 19 2017, 8:37 PM 

I like Hicks/Miller a little better than Nance/Faldo but it's very close.

De Niro
(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

June 19 2017, 10:19 PM 

Horrible course. Every hole looked exactly the same.
Plus it played so easy.
Fox coverage was dreadful. Endless commercials.

YES Johnny Miller was a bad sport, but he was also 100% CORRECT.
Thomas' 63 was a very good round of golf, not great. A whopping 32 golfers shot under par for the day. 50-60 yard fairways, gimme a break. And when faced with US Open Sunday pressure, he folded up like a tent.

Miller's round in 1973 was on SUNDAY, on a brutally difficult course, he was 5 shots back,
and only a handful of players shot under par that day.
AND HE WON. His round was MILES superior.

This nameless, faceless leaderboard was SO boring. If this is the future of golf, where a different guy wins each week...I'll pass. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index