Re: Concern About Using Dowel or Cleaning Rod with Bolt Closed

by larryw

I agree with Mike on all counts. The mainspring drives the hammer and recoil spring just pushes the bolt back into battery. The intertia of the bolt is used as a backstop for the round as it fires. In the unlikely event that beating against the bullet fires the round with the bolt in battery, bad things will happen. Bad things will also happen if the round fires with the bolt back, just not as bad.

(and who ever said the Ruger extractor didn't get a good grip on the rim? )

I've never had what you describe happen in my MkII, but did have something similar happen in one of my 45s (debris in chamber wedged a live round partially into battery). At that point, I called it a day and went home to think about it. I wound up soaking the gun in a bucket of WD-40 for a week with the hopes of deactivating the round before I exerted too much force. I finally got the round out and, when I took it apart, the powder and primer were wet.

In the event this happens again, an extended soak in WD-40 would be my recommended first step.

Posted on Oct 28, 2002, 11:44 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement