Ruger MarkII & 22/45 Forum

We have moved to our own domain, free of ads!
Please join us at:
MarkII.org

(New Post have been disabled, this forum is read only. Come to our new forum)

Mark 2 sights

by

Does anyone know of a good set of sights for the Ruger Mark 2 with a bull barrel? I like the gun, but I hate the grips & sights. I have orderd a set of wood grips, now I want to try and change or "fix" the sights. They have that big hook front sight, (which is more dangerous than the gun) and the adj. notch rear. What I want is the same thing but lower and much thinner. If I can't buy it, I will machine the front blade down a little and make it thinner, and make a new rear blade with a thinner notch. Anyone else been through this?

Posted on Jul 24, 2003, 7:16 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ruger sites

by

Millet makesa nice site. Look at www.brownells.com they have some other makerthat makes one like a Bomar.

Posted on Aug 18, 2003, 9:11 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Newbie Cleaning Question...

by

I'm a newbie to the whole shooting thing. I have a Mark II that was made in the 60's that my great grandpa left me when he passed away. I have been shooting with it a few times, and I realized last night that it needed cleaning pretty bad.

I cleaned the barrell with some gun solvent and a cleaning kit. I also did the best I could with what little I had. However, I noticed that it is still kinda dirty is some places I can't get to without taking it apart. I found the exploded diagram of the gun, but I can't figure where to start.

Any ideas for dissasembly for cleaning it? I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I checked old posts, but I didn't find anything.

Also, what is a gun like this worth? My grandpa didn't even use the gun but once or twice. It has a little rust on the top (about half the size of a dime). The blueing is in great shape, and everything seems to work great.

Posted on Aug 10, 2003, 6:18 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Field Stripping Instructions

by John

Go to this site http://ontargetguns.com/rtips.html

Posted on Aug 12, 2003, 6:45 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Cleaning your gun

by Wacko

These guns are tricky to put back together. I remove my grips and soak the entire gun including mag in mineral spirits available at your local hardware store. It cleans the whole gun as good as taking it apart. You must lube it afterwards and make sure you don't leave any oil in the barrel before shooting.

Posted on Aug 13, 2003, 1:16 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

VQ Accurizing Kit for MKII

by John Weck

I'm a newbie to the 22 MK II and love it. I am considering the VQ Accurizing kit with target hammer, sear, plunger & extended bolt release. From experience is this a worthwhile investment to substantially improve the factory standards or are the improvements marginal? Is this a do-it-yorself operation?

Posted on Aug 12, 2003, 11:34 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

misfiring MarkII HELP!!!!

by

I suddenly have a problem with my MarkII pistol. It will not fire at times and requires jacking shell after shell into the chamber till it works. When this happens you can put the gun on safe and the trigger will still pull but not fire.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Steve forthitech@yahoo.com

Posted on Jul 16, 2003, 9:19 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

more info needed

by Rich

is the gun clean? Thats my first thought but you need to add more info to your post.

Rich

Posted on Jul 18, 2003, 10:49 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

ruger miss fire

by Ken

Yes, I've got some advice - call ruger tech support and get the thing fixed. I've found them to be extremely helpful. I don't like having a rimfire cartridge jamming since if gets hammered the wrong way by the bolt assembly as it closes it could cause the cartridge to detonate in the gun, if it catches the rim of the cartridge.

Posted on Aug 7, 2003, 9:49 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

First time MKII Buyer Question

by

Hi

I'm interested in purchasing a particuler MKII, a 6" tapered-barrel, standard model from a friend's Dad. It appears to be in great shape, and has the stock blued finish. He's thinking $175. Any thoughts?

I REALLY love the look of the 5 1/2" bull barrel MKII's (blued or polished) especially with aftermarket grips (already bought a set of Hogue's), but right now, as a college student, can't probably justify buying new. The $175 does Not come with case, lock, or extra clip. I'm probably going to buy all of these, and I guess I'm just looking for guidance as far as price is concerned and if I, as an average ametuer plinker, am going to notice/care about the difference in barrels (outside of aesthetic appearances) and thicknesses.

Lastly, what's a good group for a first-time handgunner (shot rifles/shotguns since I was 9), what range?

Thanks for Any and All help guys

MIKE

Posted on Aug 7, 2003, 2:15 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: First time MKII Buyer Question

by

I think it's too much. I think the std model doesn't have adjustable sights.

I have a 6 /78" slab barrel model. All bullets will touch at 25 yards with good ammo.

Posted on Aug 7, 2003, 8:48 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

ruger MarkII 6"

by Ken

Mike,

...doen't sound like a bad price. Although it all depends on how much your dad's friend used it. A new MarkII 6" lists for about $290. I have the Mark II 5.5" with a bull barrel and it is a real nice gun. But, at the price you'er looking at, its going to be tough to beat. As far as the lack of a second clip is concerned, I never use mine. Regardless of the number of clips you have, you are still going to be going the same amount of loading (unless of course you have someone loading for you). However you could use the fact that there is no clip and box as a negotiating point. Also, see if he's willing to take you to the range and try it. Offer $150 and see were it goes. However, if the gun is in good shape, $175s not a bad way to get started.

Posted on Aug 7, 2003, 9:37 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

WTS: Ruger MKII Threaded Barrel Kit with Fake Can

by

I have a kit, I bought awhile back. It has the 3.5" threaded barrel/thread protector/instructions to install. I also have a Fake can that comes with it......$100 shipped

email me for pics.....

glhawkins@yahoo.com

Posted on Jul 22, 2003, 11:52 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

For Sale Ruger 22/45 w/Ultra Dot and.....

by

comes complete with the MGW base, the Ultra Dot and rings of course. $325 shipped to your FFL or make me an offer. thanks

Posted on Jul 15, 2003, 1:06 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ultra Dot Sights

by

Has anyone used the Ultra Dot & if so how do you like it? Does the dot have to be centered in the sight to score a hit?

Thanks
Bushwack

Posted on Jul 8, 2003, 11:41 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ultra Dot Sights

by

Ultra Dot sights are about the best.I've mounted them on my rimfire pistols and my .45 ACP. Battery life is
good & service after sales is good.

Posted on Jul 9, 2003, 9:10 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thanks Robert

by

I remember reading on this old site that people were trying the Ultra Dot but hadn't followed up on it. Right now I have too many irons in the fire to work on my MKII.
I'm thinking about using this on a Scout rifle.

Thanks again
Bushwack

Posted on Jul 9, 2003, 9:43 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Ultra Dot Sights

by Anonymous

Yes the dot should be centered

Posted on Jul 10, 2003, 9:00 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

dot centered

by chestnut

no, the dot does not have to be centered for the hole to be in the right place. centered gives you a better sight picture, but as long as the dot is on the bullseye, the hole will be the same place. some dots get a little funky the closer you put the dot to the edge of the viewing field, but if the dot is sighted with the barrel, the hole will go in whatever the dot is covering, no matter where it is in the viewing field.

Posted on Jul 11, 2003, 9:56 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thanks

by

That's exactly what I needed to know

Posted on Jul 12, 2003, 2:52 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thats the way it works

by wired

Thanks. Fairly new to bullseye.My question has been answered.

Posted on Jul 12, 2003, 9:58 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

MarkII 678 G

by stevew

I just purchased this gun and it shoots very well with the Remington target ammo.Could I make this gun even better? and if so what is the best modifications?I allready am planning on better grips.

Posted on Jul 9, 2003, 4:26 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Mark ll 678G

by

Invest in a good reddot scope and a good trigger job
by a GOOD pistolsmith. I have a Marvel adjustable
trigger. The trigger adjusts forward and backward,as well as side to side.

Posted on Jul 9, 2003, 9:18 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

pistol smith

by stevew

do you have any recommendations for a pistol smith?

Posted on Jul 10, 2003, 3:16 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Pistol Smith

by

A little back ground. I used to work in a machineshop.
I used to do some "G" jobs for a pistolsmith friend. In
turn he tought me how to do a few things or he would do
thejob free.Now,I'll give you an answer. I do not know
where you live so I can't give a referance. If you want
my friends number you'l have to E-Mail me privatly,
otherwise check around the range at which you shoot.

Posted on Jul 11, 2003, 12:42 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

WTB checkered walnut grips for MKII

by

Does anyone have any or know where to find any checkered walnut grips WITHOUT a thumb rest for a ruger mark II? Let Me know if You are interested in selling them.
Thanks
Dave

Posted on Jun 27, 2003, 12:30 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

MKII grips at Lett Grips

by Aimhigh

www.lettgrips.com

Actually this company makes the factory grips for Ruger...they have lots of options. I have bought grips for my Ruger revolvers from them and they are sweet. nice choices for laminates also ...I also have two grips in black micarta which look very nice and are weatherproof note: two weeks for checkering if they do not have what you want in stock....

Aimhigh

Posted on Jul 10, 2003, 1:44 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

MKII grips at Lett Grips

by

www.lettgrips.com

Actually this company makes the factory grips for Ruger...they have lots of options. I have bought grips for my Ruger revolvers from them and they are sweet. nice choices for laminates also ...I also have two grips in black micarta which look very nice and are weatherproof note: two weeks for checkering if they do not have what you want in stock....

Aimhigh

Posted on Jul 10, 2003, 1:41 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

22/45 Rear Sight Removal

by

What is the correct procedure to remove the rear sight from a model 22/45 (adjustable). I have a MGW mount I want to install and was wondering if there were any tricks or secrets before I got started. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 6, 2003, 5:47 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: 22/45 Rear Sight Removal

by Kruzr

Loosen the set screw on the top. Then you have to drift the sight out from the left side to the right when looking from the rear of the gun forward (port to starboard). You can put a piece of leather against the side of the sight and use a punch to hit it. You can use a brass punch but it will leave brass marks on the sight (that can be cleaned.) You may have to hit it hard to get it to start moving but it should get easier after it moves.

Degrease the dovetail and set screw hole before you put the MGW mount on.

Posted on Jul 8, 2003, 11:23 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thanks!

by Robert

Thanks for the help Kruzr!

Posted on Jul 9, 2003, 8:33 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

mounting red dot on older MKII

by

I have one of the older MKII that is not drilled and tapped for scope mounts and looking to put a mount on it. I have the one with the 10 1/2 inch barrel and stuck between Weigand and So-Low mounts which ones would you guys use. I'll be Mounting a BSA RD30 on it

J Law

Posted on Apr 24, 2003, 10:22 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Mounting a BSA RD30

by Bullseye

You better go with the Wiegand or a MGW scope mount because the RD30 scope has built in weaver scope mounts and is not compatible with the SoLow rings.

Hope this helps,
R,
Bullseye

The MGW mount

Posted on Apr 24, 2003, 7:39 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Caution about scope mounts and BSA.

by Radar

I recently mounted a 42 mm BSA Red Dot on my gun using a Weigand mount for my drilled and tapped Gov. Comp. model. The slots in the top were not spaced correctly for me to mount the BSA without modification. I used a rotory tool to cut another slot in the top and now it works fine.

The picture of the MGW that Bullseye posted looks similar to the Weigand that I got where the slots that are close together are too close together and the slots that are farther apart are too far apart.

Weigand's no gunsmithing mount seems to have better spaced slots. Here is a pic:

Another option is the B-square mount:

I am sure that that would work, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the other options.

Radar

Posted on Apr 25, 2003, 12:26 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

22/45 scope mounts

by

I am currently using the SoLow Mounts on my 5.5" bull-barreled 22/45, with a BSA PD30 Red Dot Scope. These mounts work like a charm. No complaints in six months of use. These are unique in that the mounts actually just clamp around the receiver. I was skeptical, at first, but now I can't see myself using any other scope mount. Now I am looking for a holster for the scoped 22/45. Finding this harder than getting a good scope mount.

Guy

Posted on Jun 4, 2003, 11:07 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

MGW & the BSA RD 30

by Bullseye

Radar you bring up a good point.

I have both the MGW and a RD30 so I checked it out, that scope will mount on either the front two or back two rail notches of the MGW scope mount.

R,
Bullseye

Posted on Apr 25, 2003, 9:44 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

22/45 Scope Mounts Revisited

by

I see here that there is a clamp on SoLo scope mount for the 22/45. Am thinking of buying a 22/45 and would like to know if they are drilled and tapped for scope mounting like the MKII's?

Posted on Jul 1, 2003, 7:15 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

ruget scope mounts

by Geoffrey McDermott

the only 22/45's that i absolutely know are drilled & tapped for a scope from the factory is the slab side 22/45 from davidson's.

they have an even longer barrel available in a 22/45 called a great 8 (an eight inch barrel, whil the other i mentioned has a 6-7/8 inch barrel), and i'm very sure ir has factory scope holes, but i haven't actully had one in my hand to see.

Posted on Jul 2, 2003, 12:10 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Mark II KMK4BL Lipseys special

by Steve

Have you seen it?

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=198&return=Y

Posted on Jun 24, 2003, 1:20 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Larger picture

by Steve

Larger picture
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdEnlView?model=198

Posted on Jun 24, 2003, 1:22 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Nice picture....

by Dan

I've seen the 4 inch in blue but not stainless.

Posted on Jun 29, 2003, 10:53 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

full disassembly of 22/45

by PatBaz

I need some help, i am new to the 22/45 and i havent found any info on taking apart the trigger and all on a 22/45. I hate to just start banging on the roll pins aimlessly, lol.

thanks

Posted on Jun 26, 2003, 9:33 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: full disassembly of 22/45

by pbarrettaz

nevermind i figured it out

Posted on Jun 29, 2003, 4:40 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

trigger, hammer and sear

by Steve in Canada

I have been reading a lot of posts about people replacing their stock triggers with Clark or Volquartsen, and replacing their sears and hammers with Volquartsen as well. I understand replacing the sear and hammer, as these two pieces have engagement surfaces that will be improved and give a lighter, crisper let-off than stock stuff, but why replace the stock trigger? It's merely a pivot point that has no engagement surface on it at all. You could add a pre-travel adjustment screw to complement the over-travel screw that is already on a stock target trigger, couldn't you?
steve

Posted on Jan 6, 2003, 4:57 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

trigger,hammer,sear

by Bob

On my MKII I just replaced the hammer and got the let-off I wanted,probably 2-2 1/2 lbs. And it only took about 10 minutes to change it.And there isn't any take up in te trigger pull.

Posted on Jan 6, 2003, 5:26 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ruger 77/17

by

Hi, Have a new Ruger 77/17 .22 cal and am not satisfied with trigger pull. Andy Suggestions. Thanks

Posted on Jun 9, 2003, 5:42 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ruger 77 Trigger...

by

Andy, there are four choices in improving your 77/17 trigger pull. First is to replace your sear with a Volquartsen sear, second, replace your trigger with an aftermarket trigger, Spectech is a good choice and is available from Brownells, or the third is a reliable gunsmith fourth do your own trigger job. Check out this site for futher info:WWW.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html Hope this helps, Brad

Posted on Jun 26, 2003, 7:24 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: trigger, hammer and sear

by Mike Corey

Steve,

The advantage of the Volquartsen trigger comes from it's width. It is almost twice as wide as the factory trigger. This gives you a "perceived" lighter trigger. The force on your finger pad is displaced over the wider trigger making it seem like a lighter pull.

It's kind of like wearing snowshoes. The weight is the same, it just looks lighter because it doesn't sink as much.

Posted on Jan 7, 2003, 7:42 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

perceived trigger pull lighter due to wider trigger

by Steve in Canada

That makes sense, never thought of that! BUT---can I just add a pretravel setscrew to my stock trigger to make it feel more precise, then add a VQ sear to lighten the pull a bit? I like the serations on the front of the stock trigger. My stock trigger is the target version with an overtravel setscrew, already set for no overtravel.
steve

Posted on Jan 7, 2003, 9:23 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

VQ hammer - sear

by Mike Corey

Steve,

The VQ hammer / sear only will help alot. I bought mine as a kit that included the trigger.

As for pre-travel, I like some on my pistols. Not a whole bunch, but some. I guess that comes from shooting the M1911. If you don't let the "take-up" go all the way forward while shooting, you'll never know it was there. I use that take-up as a stage just before the targets turn in Conventional pistol shooting.

Posted on Jan 8, 2003, 2:12 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

VQ Sear

by Radar

I added the VQ sear to my KMK678GC Slabside without adding/changing any other internal parts. That one part alone dropped my trigger pull down to 33 ounces (2lb 1oz.), but my trigger pull was a little under 5 oz from the factory, so yours might be a little more than that. The whole VQ kit is only supposed to take it down to 2 1/4 lb.

One thing to note is that the VQ sear also shortens the trigger pull. You will have to go back in and adjust your overtravel screw after you install it.

Radar

Posted on Jun 11, 2003, 9:21 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Volquartsen Trigger

by

I ordered all 3 (trigger, sear, and disconnector) at the same time thinking they would work better as a set, but now might just take the trigger out and put back in my stock one (with a pretravel adjustment). I kinda like a wider trigger, but I think the Volquartsen one is to wide for me.

Posted on Jan 9, 2003, 1:08 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: trigger, hammer and sear

by chim

Steve, you can do a pretravel screw. Chestnut pioneered this. I like to move the overtravel screw to the trigger face, so it bumps into the frame. It's a whole lot easier to adjust it there. Drilling and tapping the trigger is a cinch............chim

Posted on Jun 15, 2003, 12:04 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ruger MKII barrel removal????

by

Hi,

I would like to learn how to remove the barrel from my Ruger MKII slabside competition model 6 7/8".

My name is Obed j. Romero president from a newly formed Firearms Manufacturing company in Tampa, Fl called Ballistic Corp (FFL # 1-59-057-6F-02859). I need to learn on how to remove the barrel and if needed install a shorter one. My gun is slabside 6 7/8" barrel competion target model. Any help will be great!

Regards
Obed J. Romero - Ballistic Corp

Posted on Jun 25, 2003, 2:04 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Barrel Removal

by mike

Don't! If you really want to, one way is to cut the barrel off just ahead of the receiver. Then you drill out the portion of the barrel still in the receiver until you can crush the threaded portion and remove from the receiver. Obviously this destroys the barrel. If you attempt to hold receiver in a vise and use a wrench on the barrel, you are almost certain to ruin the receiver. There might be other suggestions on how to accomplish the barrel removal, but Ruger put them on to stay!

Posted on Jun 25, 2003, 2:10 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Barrel???

by

Mike,

Thanks for your help. Darn, there has to be a better way. I'm experimenting with, but I don't want to ruin my gun. I'm NEW to the manufacturing aspect of guns so I don't know much about Rugers. But I know AR15, AK's , H&K, Glock , Beretta ETc.....

THanks!

Anybody else know a better way?

Posted on Jun 25, 2003, 2:21 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

MK2 barrel removal...

by

Obed, the only way to remove the Bbl. from a Mk2 used to be to cut the lip of the Bbl off in a lathe where it mates to the reciever, then unscrew the Bbl after the friction fit has been relieved. However, both Clark and Volquartsen devised a jig of their own designs that allow them to unscrew the Bbls. without damage to the reciever. That being said, the only options are to cut the Bbl., send it to Clark or VQ, or devise a jig to support the reciever, BTW, I'm in Lakeland, not far from you and hope to hear more about your business and what your company is up to. Good luck, Brad

Posted on Jun 26, 2003, 7:12 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

mkII threaded barrel

by

i am looking for some info. A few weeks ago i saw some threaded barrel kits with a fake suppressor for a MKII, just wondering if anyone knows the web page that sells them.
thanks

Posted on Jun 26, 2003, 8:33 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

What is the fpe of a .22 short?

by Charles H

I'm trying to compare the strength of my 50fpe Daystate airgun to the .22 rimfire and I believe that it comes closest to the .22 short.

Charles

Posted on Jun 20, 2003, 11:05 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Which is better the markII or the 22/45

by

Which one of these pistols has more accessories available!!! I like the feel of both of them and I wonder which has more accessories available!!! Also,
I was wondering who has the best prices on Solow mounts?

Thanks,

Posted on Jun 14, 2003, 9:21 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Which is better the markII or the 22/45

by chim

Better = They are both accurate and dependable. I like the 22/45 because of the grip angle and mag release. Others prefer the steeper grip angle of the MKII. (Couldn't understand why anyone would prefer the mag release of the MKII though). I have some of each, and know others who do as well. One plus for the 22/45 is the little takedown lever is easier to flip out for some reason.

Accessories = Grips are a big challenge if you don't like the factory 22/45 grip. Other than that, you can sink as much into the one as the other.

SoLow mounts = I have only bought them directly from the SoLow website................chim

Posted on Jun 15, 2003, 12:13 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Appreciate the info!!

by Chad

Thanks for the info!!! Now I need to found a good price on a dependable red dot!!!! Chad

Posted on Jun 15, 2003, 1:50 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement