<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Whitesnake record & tour dates announced!

February 25 2015 at 2:54 PM
Cherry  (Login CherryAnderson)
Speshul
from IP address 68.238.68.45

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Guvrmentcheese
(no login)

Re: New Whitesnake record & tour dates announced!

February 25 2015, 5:17 PM 

Thanks Cherry! Just got done watching the Stormbringer video, gotta say I am lookin forward to hearing the new album, no tour dates near me tho.

Respond to this message   
Ryoko
(no login)

Re: New Whitesnake record &amp; tour dates announced!

February 25 2015, 6:11 PM 

Thanks for the link,Cherry:)
It's unpredictable!
I don't know much about deep purple,
so maybe most of the songs are new to me!
Anyway japanese release date will set on
April 29, we will have an honour to get
Reb's effort a bit earlier.
Looking forward to listening to it!

Respond to this message   
TimJ
(no login)

February 25 2015, 6:51 PM 

I think it's a real missed opportunity, sorry.

I don't care which band it is re-recording old stuff, and many do these days, but I just think it's a copout.

I really thought with the last couple of albums Whitesnake were proving they could still come out with strong new material, and was hoping Reb would be the main writer this time too.

Oh well.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

February 25 2015, 7:03 PM 

I kinda feel duped. Not mad, just a what the heck kinda moment. The way Reb was talking, was like they were writing. Mention heavy catchy songs..... If they are just re-do's from the DP Coverdale days why talk it up like its new material...

I can't see them doing this Deep Purple cover album, then putting out a all new album with all new material.

Zander

“It’s a tribute. A homage. It’s a huge thank you from me to Deep Purple for the opportunity I was given over 40 years ago,” states Coverdale. “As I said to Ritchie, you guys set me on an incredible journey that continues today and I couldn’t have asked for better teachers. The University of Deep Purple was an extraordinary, amazing school to learn from. We can’t wait to play these songs in concert!”

From the opening notes of the classic track “Burn,” to album closer “Stormbringer,” Whitesnake are back and better than ever. Songs like “Lady Double Dealer,” “Soldier of Fortune” and “Sail Away” are given a new energy in the very capable hands of the current Whitesnake lineup featuring David Coverdale on vocals, Reb Beach and Joel Hoekstra on guitars, Michael Devin on bass and Tommy Aldridge on drums. A video for the first single “Stormbringer” can be seen here: http://youtu.be/Xk9wWj8Wh30.

The tracklisting for The Purple Album is:

1) Burn
2) You Fool No One (interpolating Itchy Fingers)
3) Love Child
4) Sail Away
5) The Gypsy
6) Lady Double Dealer
7) Mistreated
8) Holy Man
9) Might Just Take Your Life
10) You Keep On Moving
11) Soldier Of Fortune
12) Lay Down Stay Down
13) Stormbringer

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks
14) Lady Luck
15) Comin’ Home

DVD Content:
Lady Double Dealer - Music Video
Sail Away - Mix Music Video
Stormbringer - Music Video
Soldier Of Fortune - Music Video
Purple Album Behind The Scenes
Purple Album EPK

Whitesnake was formed in England in 1978 by Coverdale. The band has released multi-platinum selling albums throughout the years and have been known for hits such as “Slide It In,” “Here I Go Again,” “Still Of The Night” and “Is This Love.” Whitesnake will hit the road this summer on a headlining world tour.

www.whitesnake.com

Respond to this message   
Cherry
(no login)

Re: New Whitesnake record &amp;amp; tour dates announced!

February 25 2015, 7:20 PM 

^ ^ wow.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

February 25 2015, 11:27 PM 

The video is cool and Reb gets a lot of camera time and the solo rocks. Highly doubtful he would have gotten all that if Doug was still holding the musical reigns. So thatz cool

Zander

Respond to this message   
PaddyC
(no login)

February 26 2015, 4:43 AM 

yeah, im sorta with you guys - bit disappointed that it's re-doing Purple stuff.

Really think David Coverdale needs to be careful as he's sort of becoming a parody of himself, even watching the short bit of film it still sounds to me that his voice has gone (I also thought that during the last tour) I really hope that's not the case as early Whitesnake were always one of my favourite bands. But will reserve judgement till i've listened to the CD.

I also think Coverdale missed a trick here TimJ - regards new material and Reb but hey - ho! Will be interesting to see Reb as the lead on the tour though

Respond to this message   
Cherry
(no login)

February 26 2015, 11:49 AM 

Such harsh criticism guys. You all have the right to your opinion as I do so here are my thoughts..... I have always been a supporter of REB and everything he does. Whitesnake is DC's band. When I heard (just like you did yesterday) about The Purple Album, I was stoked for REB and HAPPY for him because of his accomplishment and contributions to The Purple Album.For whatever reason's DC decided to take WS in this direction I am sure is personal and heartfelt to him. and I look forward to hearing the bands version of these tunes on the record and live! Help keep our music alive by supporting our guys, whatever they decide to do.

like I said, you are all entitled to your own opinion but this is REB's forum... give him some support here.

Respond to this message   
Denise
(no login)

February 26 2015, 3:59 PM 

Rebs solo awesome of course which to me makes the song... too bad it is a cover..that is very disappointing .

I mean if Winger can write a whole new killer album after all this time why cant WS? Nothing against Reb of course, DCs band, he is boss but really a cover, tribute or not ?

But anything that Reb does and is happy with has my wholehearted support.

But more power to him for keeping it going for this long.

Respond to this message   
Denise
(no login)

sorry for my goofy double post got time out errors

February 26 2015, 4:15 PM 

Respond to this message   
Denise
(no login)

February 26 2015, 4:08 PM 

Rebs solo awesome of course which to me makes the song... too bad it is a cover.

DCs band, he is boss but really a cover ?...tribute or not.

Well credit due for keeping it going this long.

But anything that Reb does and is happy with has my wholehearted support. Glad he got lots of video time!

Respond to this message   
PaddyC
(no login)

February 27 2015, 5:40 AM 

Hey Cherry, hope life in N Cali is still treating you well.

Wouldn't presume to speak for the other guys but suspect they are of a similar opinion to me that we ALWAYS support Reb. And certainly no one is being harshly critical of Reb.

For me the only reason I went to see Whitesnake during the last UK tour was because Reb was playing. I was at a couple of gigs during the tour before that (at Glasgow & London) and was deeply disappointed at Coverdale's voice. In Glasgow in particular he was very croaky, couldn't hit many of the higher notes and in order to compensate they turned the guitars up far too loud and relied on the (more than) backing vocals of Reb and Michael Devin. Probably didn't help that the 2 support bands were Journey and Thunder - whose lead singers were absolutely on point.

I also think the comments were made in a positive manner in as much as we felt it was an opportunity missed for Whitesnake to put out some great new material where Reb might've had a key input, instead of re-doing old songs where Reb's input will be to deliver a fantastic sound.

I am actually intrigued to hear the songs - i'm old enough to have seen Whitesnake waaaayyy back in the day when 3 of the songs on the Purple album were actually part of the set-list: Might just take your life, Mistreated and Soldier of Fortune. It will be really interesting to hear how Reb sounds on these compared to the Marsden/Moody sound. Will also be interesting to see if they do any of these songs live - I saw Whitesnake live in 1981 or 82 at the Edinburgh Playhouse and still get goosebumps thinking about the version of Mistreated they played that night.

Loooong way of saying that we do and will always support Reb - he's a great person as well as an outstanding guitarist, we're just a wee bit disappointed that Mr Coverdale took this opportunity to release an album of old stuff rather than new stuff that would've featured Reb's skills. Doesn't mean I wont buy it though. :-)

Respond to this message   
cherry
(no login)

February 28 2015, 12:41 AM 

Hey Paddy... hanging in the best i know how! anyway.... maybe the criticism isn't as harsh as i thought it was.... just a WOW moment or moments for me because I wasn't expecting disappointing posts, i was expecting people to say..."way to go" alright Reb" blah blah blah! lol ... i really don't care that WS redid Deep Purple songs, it will all be new to me. if Reb put out a rockin version of" Rock a by Baby" or The Carpenter's "We've Only just Begun" i would dig it because Reb is playing... i wouldn't care that he didn't write it because i would want to hear Reb play his guitar and work his magic around those tunes.... Like i said in my previous post... For whatever reasons DC decided doing "The Purple Album" is probably personal and heartfelt to him and perhaps cathartic??? who knows?? ... does that make sense? I don't know! All i know is that any project that has Reb's touch on it , in it, around it, under it, over it, etc etc... gets me excited and makes me happy for him! okay okay.... i can understand that it is DC that you are disappointed in.... but i do not believe that it is a cop-out at all.... Maybe the reason's why we did not know that the new record was going to be songs that have already been done is because perhaps contractually, Reb and the guys could not say anything??.... making it a big letdown to those who expected new WS music.... maybe just maybe... that was the wrong decision for DC to make... but who knows? I'm just guessing here. Anyway... I did order the "new" music and can't wait to hear it and can't wait to see WS play in the good ole USA! Who knows... if they play in the UK... I may take in a few shows there as well! :)

Respond to this message   
MAZ
(no login)

March 2 2015, 7:05 PM 

So....will this album be a covers album in that they're just going to re-record those songs as they are, or more of a "tribute" in that they're going to re-do them in a Whitesnake style? I was watching That Metal Show and the subject of covers songs came up. Opinions varied.

There are pros and cons for sure. While I really wish REB would've had the opportunity to take the lead on writing, I'm not really one way or the other about it. It's always interesting to me to listen to a band do a spin on classic songs or do covers, BUT, a whole album worth of covers is pushing it. I don't think it would be acceptable for ANY less seasoned band to do this at all. It really has to be a BIG name to do a WHOLE ALBUM of someone else's songs. Like PRINCE (who off the top of my head, I think has only ONE cover in his entire catalog), or Madonna etc. K.D. Lang did a whole album of covers on her DRAG album, which happens to be one of my favorite of hers - she reworked all the songs with a very interesting, very KD LANG spin. I also really love Amy Winehouse's LIONESS album - even though she was hardly "seasoned" as far as time in her career, but she pulled it off because of the song choices and her sound. Jake E. Lee did RETRACED, but it hardly did anything for OR against him.

I have to wonder how much FRONTIER'S had to do with this decision? Have to say I agree with Pad (I think it was Pad) who said DC should be very careful not to become a parody of himself. That's a great way to put it. DC has been very consistent in putting out music without a lot of HUGE gaps of time. It's damn near impossible for someone to do this and NOT crap your voice out. No matter HOW strong of a vocalist you are. I would rather a vocalist take a decent break, fall out for a while, and put music out appropriately, in order conserve and extend their career, than to produce albums on a formula and timeline in an effort to stay relevant and/or existent within their genre.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

March 3 2015, 12:20 PM 

I agree with you Maz.

Also I wouldn't consider this "covers" in the sense of someone elses tunes, because these are(from what I understand) Deep Purple tunes from when Coverdale was in DP. I do think it's a horrible waste of Reb's writing talent to not write a new WS album with him and DC running the show. It would have been epic.

Zander

Respond to this message   
PaddyC
(no login)

March 4 2015, 6:09 AM 

Not sure if this is the case or not but when a band or artist does a covers album it's often their way of doing a final album as they exit a deal with a record company.

Having thought about it for a couple of days I still think it's a bit strange. There's no doubt that when Whitesnake do a Deep Purple song live it goes down really well with the crowd...but a full recorded album with some tracks that are quite obscure??

Doesn't mean i'm not delighted for Reb mind you, that he has the chance to show us his take on these songs.

And Cherry if you do come to the Uk - let me know which gig(s) you're going to - you never know you might find a dodgy Jock turning up!!

Respond to this message   
MAZ
(no login)

March 5 2015, 9:37 PM 

Regardless of what it is or what it isn't, it still IS another chance to hear our beloved REB last, so I'll take it!

PAD, maybe your should come to Vegas!! Vegas! VEGAS! Vegas!

Respond to this message   
TimJ
(no login)

March 21 2015, 9:34 AM 

So I watched the online press kit for the new album. I will say that I like what they've done with "Sail Away" which is pretty different from the old version. My original reservations remain (and the reasons for those are pretty much what Paddy outlined) but I will no doubt check it out anyway and it wasn't my intention to come across as a party pooper.

Respond to this message   
MAZ
(no login)

March 22 2015, 12:46 AM 

Tim said poooooooop.

Heh

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement