Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
 Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?

July 19 2007 at 12:24 PM
No score for this post
Glenn Mechanick  (Login TaxMechanick)

I thought I would put out (contribute) my first post!

How many of you remember Robert J. Foster, a dealer from Connecticut. What are your thoughts, stories, etc.?

Many years back, he would set up at the various Paper Shows - Allentown, PA; Hartford, CT; Hackensack, NJ. Prior to his passing on, he also maintained a website, I recollect under the name RJBALROG.

He always had a very scraggly look about him; and certainly his appearance did not match the generally high quality and uniqueness of the material he was selling! He always appeared grumpy and disinterested, often nodding off as he lay in his planted seat!

His prices at the time were out of this world! However, he has ABSOLUTELY GREAT STUFF!!!! He had absolutely wonderful Tobacco Advertising Display Banners & other pieces; in addition to maintaining a healthy stock of Tobacco Premiums – cards, silks, leathers, albums, etc. He was ABSOLUTELY KING of the Pinbacks!!!!

At first his demeanor and prices intimidated me, and I just looks & admired. However, I finally decided to inquire about a couple of items of obvious interest. My father was with me at the time; and was AMAZED at Robert's transformation from grumpiness & disinterest TO Animation & Information/ Knowledge Sharing. I made my first purchase from him that day! I discovered that as a regular customer he would work with me as to his prices

One caution I always had was with framed display pieces, I could not always determine (or trust) whether there was any restoration or the degree of such. Accordingly, I tended to stay away from such items.

I believe Robert J. Foster was ahead of his time......a pioneer! The collecting public had not caught up with his material or prices! I believe he would absolutely thrive in today’s collectible climate!

Again, what are your thoghts...stories?

Glenn Mechanick

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?AnonymousJul 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?Kurt K.Aug 3, 2007, 7:32 PM
 Bob FosterRalph PAug 6, 2007, 6:59 PM
 My Dealings with Robert FosterRobert T MruczekApr 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?Chuck RossApr 17, 2012, 7:49 AM
 Top DollarusnascouterApr 17, 2012, 11:20 PM
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?scott hasselApr 18, 2012, 9:49 AM
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?Kurt K.Apr 19, 2012, 7:26 PM
 That he wasusnascouterApr 19, 2012, 9:32 PM
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?Kurt K.Apr 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
 Re: Remembering Robert J. Foster - What Are Your Thoughts?Kurt K.Apr 21, 2012, 12:20 PM