Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

R114 Master set....................

February 27 2009 at 7:59 PM
No score for this post
  (Login nsaddict)

Let's try a little forum "bonding project" here. I have 89 out of 90, just ONE card short to complete the 3 color variations. The last card needed, a blue Teddy Roosevelt. If one ever surfaced(wink,wink), wouldn't it be cool if all forum members refrained from bidding to give me better odds at finally finishing this set (hint,hint). We'll see what happens happy.gif. Have a good night y'all!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login murcerfan)

Re: R114 Master set....................

No score for this post
February 27 2009, 8:36 PM 

I have the card. it's in a psa5 holder.

would trade for something i need, especially if i can find a replacement in red or orange......cash offer considered if you really really reaally want it.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login nsaddict)

No score for this post
February 27 2009, 8:57 PM 

Dave,
Yes I'm interested. I have a nice red T. Roosevelt dup. Could you send me a scan and a wantlist, have many dups (other sets also) thanks. Just tried sending you an email, but it bounced back.

Richard

Ralph P
(Login 30s_non-sport_gum)

ME TOO !!!!!!!

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 3:04 AM 

Well, Richard, looks like we got a situation here! 

happy.gif

I've also been at 89 of 90 to the master set too, and it feels like a LONG TIME I've been seeking out that last card . . .  and wouldn't you know it, I also need a Blue Teddy!

Since you've already started chatting with him, probably the best way forward is for you to do the deal with Dave -- I think you're going to get a great card that way, worth hundreds -- and I'll go after that crappy card on eBay . . . 

As Jim VB pointed out in the past, one is NEVER finished upgrading this set, so what's one more card to have to replace, eventually, no?

(Login jvb6034)

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 2:43 PM 

Richard, Ralph,

All right you two... to your corners!

Are we done here?

I have a set. Richard has his set(pending completion of current deal and a delivery or two.) Ralph has his set (pending deliveries.)

Who's up next?

I know Marty must be getting closer. Dan C.? Geoff L. (Note to Dave Lemon... Don't feel slighted. I didn't leave you out. The quality of your stuff is in a different league.)

Ralph, Richard, and I have been working together for over a year to help each other out on this set. My questions are, who else is getting close and what do you need to finish?

Probably should move this to the B/S/T, but don't be shy about telling people what you need.

(Login symbebekos)

all done

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 3:36 PM 

Jim, thanks to you I'm all done with my basic set. But I wonder - does anyone here have a McKinley?

(Login jvb6034)

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 4:05 PM 

Sound the Trumpets . . . Bang the Gongs . . .

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 6:20 PM 

. . . . . . that Blue Teddy is on his way to make it 90/90 in my R114 master set. 

(And now continues the everlasting chore of upgrading a lot of those dudes . . . .  happy.gif )

Next up, Marty Krim who is in the low 80s on his march to the master set. 

==> Marty, why doncha list here what you need, perhaps the group can help you directly, with some of them, and stay out of your way (on ebay) on the others?

(Login PSUinCT)

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 9:36 PM 

Jim, I'm down to needing 6 cards, all Blue.

Jefferson, Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Taft, Coolidge and FDR.

I have a lot of dup's for trade......

Dave

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

(Login 030190)

R114

Score 1.0 (1 person)
February 28 2009, 9:40 PM 

Congratulations Ralph on completing the set...Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (except me !!).

I need: RED: McKinley (ha, ha)
ORANGE: J Q Adams..Taylor
BLUE: Washington..Harding..Hayes..FDR

Also am bidding on Ebay on: Blue Harrison and Orange Washington.

If I get those, it will be 84/90

After 2 years, I finally got #30 on the Topps 1949/55 FUNNY FOLDIES but had to win a 21 lot to do it...Anyone need any ??

Marty

(Login nsaddict)

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 9:56 PM 

Dave in CT.

I'll have a dup blue Andrew Johnson in about a month, when I have the upgrade in hand.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

No score for this post
February 28 2009, 11:19 PM 

Marty and Dave,

Emails sent on a couple of cards.

(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
March 1 2009, 1:03 AM 

I still say the next person to do the Master set will be the first. Red, Orange, Blue, and Red/Orange = 120 cards.

(Login nsaddict)

90/90 mission complete..............

No score for this post
March 5 2009, 6:46 PM 

Ralph, can't believe we've joined the ranks of Jim VB on the master set. What a coincidence that we finished at about the same time and needed the same last card. This worked out really well. Marty K., I think it helped you by listing your last few as some stayed away from the blue Harrison and you got it at a great price. A special thanks to Dave T. on working out a trade to make this possible. He also sold quite a few on the b/s/t. I hope Marty and Dave L. snagged some needed ones from him and if so you guys should edit your want list in this thread, you may get further assistance on the mission. How about Dan the Man?? I read an old post where you needed 4 more,all blues, did you ever get them? Anyone else close? And now the unending task of upgrading!

Drum roll please happy.gif.

Photobucket

(Login jvb6034)

No score for this post
March 5 2009, 8:30 PM 

Eric,

Somehow I missed your last post. Ralph and I were just talking about the Orange/Red varieties the other day. He thinks he has about half and is thinking about it. I think it would be dang near impossible because you can't buy them through Ebay with any certainty. It's hard enough to get a seller to tell you if it's red or orange, never mind if it's in between. And most scans are useless for this.

I know one, fairly big time, west coast collector (Definition of "big time" is that he beat the crap out of me a few times on cards I wanted. Didn't win most and paid a lot for the ones I did win.) who is convinced that there are only two colors (blue and the other color). He thinks the orange and the red are variations of the same.

I'll stay at 90.

Edited to add- One board member sent me these scans to say we're not really complete.

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Isn't Photoshop great?)

(Login jvb6034)

No score for this post
March 5 2009, 8:31 PM 

Richard,

Don't want to speak for Dan, but I think he is either finished or just one card short.

(Login 030190)

R114 GETTING CLOSER

No score for this post
March 5 2009, 11:33 PM 

Hello and many thanks to Jim for laying off the Blue Harrison and for anyone else who might not have bid.

I purchased this for $14.07, if you can believe it...WAY under my Max of $16.07.

Thanks to Ralph P. and Richard L. for suggesting that I put my list on the chat-line.

I now have 87/90...missing the BLUE WASHINGTON, HAYES and FDR.

I know they are out there...so it's just a matter of time.

Marty

Red
(Login RedManChewer)

No score for this post
March 6 2009, 1:15 PM 

All anybody has to do is pick up a magnifying glass and look at the backgrounds to see why the color shades are different, and they will discover that R114 cards were printed six ways.

Red - Solid Red

Orange - Solid Orange

Blue - Solid Blue

Red/Black - Solid Red with black dot pattern printed on top.

Orange/Black - Solid Orange with black dot pattern printed on top.

Blue/Black - Solid Blue with black dot pattern printed on top.

That's the way they were printed but people can collect them any way they like.

But if a master set is supposed to contain all the different variations, then 90 cards is an excellent starter set.

Most of the cards with the black overprint will have a black line at spots running along the top of the background color. This can easily be seen with the card in hand or in a decent quality scan. If you then look closer with a magnifying glass the background will have a pattern of black dots. If you have duplicates compare them. A lot of the differences in shade you see are caused by the black dots.

(Login willhc)

Isn't it amazing!

No score for this post
March 6 2009, 2:09 PM 

Looking at Dan's three McKinley's, isn't it amazing that all three were punched in the exact same spot?

Ralph P

No score for this post
March 6 2009, 5:53 PM 

Richard, congrats to both of us!

(Now, I gotta get out a magnifying glass and see what that post above is trying to tell us.)

==> Please, say it ain't so, not 6 ways ( = 180-card master set!)!

(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
March 6 2009, 8:23 PM 

180 cards. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Are there really 2 shades of blue? Pics please.

(Login jvb6034)

No score for this post
March 6 2009, 9:09 PM 

Does this count? (Actual unretouched scan.)

[linked image]

(Login nsaddict)

No score for this post
March 6 2009, 9:19 PM 

The Coolidge is "light blue" compared to the other two.

Photobucket

Anonymous
(Login murcerfan)

No score for this post
March 7 2009, 12:50 AM 

Most of the cards with the black overprint will have a black line at spots running along the top of the background color.

interesting...never noticed that before...but i see exactly what you mean just eyeballing a stack here I'm packaging up.

Ralph P

Okay, okay, okay . . . !

No score for this post
March 7 2009, 1:10 AM 

I pulled out a jeweler's loupe and examined reds, blues and oranges and yes, I see the black dotted 'overprint' on many of them. It is there to produce a toning or shadowing effect but frankly is nearly invisible until you look at it way up close.

But here's the bad news -- I also see my orangy-reds with AND without the black dots. In other words, the presence/absence of the black dotting has nothing to do with creating the orangy-red variation. It is a fourth separate color category: red, blue, orange, orangy-red . . .

So (heaven help us) in other words . . . 8 x 30 = 240 card master set????

happy.gif

(Login ChuckRoss)

No score for this post
March 7 2009, 6:39 AM 

Ralph, don't forget that even if you can complete the 240 card set, you would still have another 240 card set to go that would consist of each card turned by 90 degrees

(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
March 7 2009, 10:39 AM 

Sounds like a job for Marty krim.

So we are back to 120 card Master set with slight print-type process change to make it 240. 90 is old news - 120 it is!

Red
(Login RedManChewer)

No score for this post
March 7 2009, 10:50 AM 

Subtle differences in color are normal and can vary through the printing process. A little too much or too little yellow is all that will cause the shades you see on the different shades of red/orange looking cards. The Blue Wilson on the right above had its colors bleached or faded by chemical or light, obvious because it also affects the red at bottom. The blue on Coolidge is weak, the other 2 blues are slightly different, and if they're all the same with no black print they're just different shades of blue. All these were caused by lack of quality control in the printing process.

Black dots being there or not were not caused by accident or lack of quality control. A change in how the cards were printed was made, whether it was to start printing them with the black dots or stop printing them with black dots. Anything with black dots is going to change the color you see a little.

If you turn a card 90 or 180 degrees the presence or absence of dots won't change. If however through a change in design of printing, some card's dots had the ability to appear or disappear when rotated, then it would be considered a variation.

Orangy-Red

No score for this post
March 7 2009, 6:29 PM 

RedMan - enjoying your comments, thanks and keep em coming.

Fully agree that the presence/absence of that nearly-invisible, black background dotting is clearly the result of a specific printing decision . . .  doesn't just happen by accident.

But am still not so sure about the orangy-red, though.  Your hypothesis that these may have been the result of the printer fooling around (experimenting) with inks to blend to orange?  I suppose that's possible.  If he was trying to get to orange, he was a long way away from his final target color!  The orangy-reds looks like red with a splash of yellow blended in, so a hot red/orange, compared to the muted wine/pink/red tones of the true red cards.

All I can say is, they are really different from the mainline red cards, and really really different from the orange cards.  Many of us have had the same experience of sorting an orangy-red into our group of red cards and realizing it's orange.  Then sorting it to the oranges and then realizing, hey, it's red!   Frustrating and interesting at the same time.

I've got about 15 different in very hot orangy-red tone so far, but haven't been seeking them as a subset because it's almost impossible to do so. (For example, just how do you communicate to a seller what you want?  And on ebay, a high percentage of sellers do seem to fool with their images . . .  confound you Adobe Photoshop!). 

If I ever DO complete this subset, it will no doubt be quite by accident . . . 

happy.gif

(Login nsaddict)

No score for this post
March 8 2009, 6:10 PM 

Adams is red for sure and Taylor is without doubt orange. But Hayes is caught somewhere in the middle?? To digress a bit, this set has really become popular in the last several years. When I first joined ebay, high grade cards were going in the 5.00-15.00 each range. I can also remember Hugh Jones telling me he had a binder full at 10-30 per and couldn't sell them. In my opinion, the biggest reason for the blastoff was the emergence of Mr. McKinley and the folklore became a reality. I believe the first one publicly offered was by the Toser's nearly 10 years ago(about 70 years after being printed) and a few others have surfaced since. I always wondered if Burdick knew of it's existence? Every now and then, I go to the gallery and click on ole William (thanks Dan) and puts a happy.gif on my face.

Photobucket

(Login dinofan)

Topps Funny Foldees #63

No score for this post
January 9 2012, 8:46 AM 

Hello, I stumbled onto your post about completing this set. Congratulations!!! I have never focused on this set as my real passion is dinosaur/prehistoric animal cards (www.dinofan.com) but when I discovered that this set has a dinosaur I got very interested. You hinted that you might have some extras available. I am looking for #63 (Dinosaur/Sphinx/Puppy). Would you happen to have one of these available? Thanks for your time.

Mike

Current Topic - R114 Master set....................  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index