Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Canada Corn Starch Plane Display Poster

September 18 2009 at 12:57 PM
No score for this post
Alan Elefson  (Login aelefson)

Hi-
I recently acquired the poster pictured below and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a few questions I have regarding it.
1. How old is this advertisement?
2. Can anyone share some scans of the cards?
3. How many cards are in the set?
4. Has anyone seen this advertisement?
5. Are the cards common?
Any additional information regarding either the display or the set will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Photobucket

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Hal Bartlett
(Login barhal)

Info on Canada Starch

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 5:35 PM 

Info: Check on this link and within this site there are articles about some of the war time premiums offered by Canada Starch Company, Montreal. One on ships and one on planes; and more "stuff" as well - just investigate ! Sizes are given in centimeters.
The set you are referring to has 30 pictures/cards of wartime vessels, submarines, fighter planes, bombers, and one Bren gun carrier all offered by Canada Starch in the 40's.
Hope this helps.

Hal

http://wartimecanada.ca/categories/product-premiums#

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
JohnM
(Login dublin6)

Great Site

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 9:40 PM 

Great Site - Downloaded some great Pictures. Thanks Much

Anonymous
(Login BobbyBHockey)

Canada Starch Brand

No score for this post
March 16 2012, 7:36 AM 

The Canada Starch Company is better known in the hockey community as Crown Brand, the major competitor to Bee Hive Corn Syrup -which is a brand of St. Lawrence Starch Company.

Recognizing and envying the success of the introduction in 1934 Bee Hives hockey photo promotion, the Canada Starch Company got into the act a year later by offering similar photos of players that were not under contract at that time to their principal competitor, The St. Lawrence Starch Company (Bee Hive Corn Syrup.

Crown Brand issued the same photos from 1935-40 and Bee HIve issued their Group one photos from 1934-43(Bee Hive issued photos straight up to 1967 making it the longest running premium offer ever, well at least in Canada.

Crown Brand photos (4 3/8 x 6 3/8) are black and white with sepia toning to create a warmer print and are mounted on a buff colored; weave type matting (6 5/8 x 8 5/8). Because the matting on Crown Brand photos was larger than Bee Hives, they were frequently cut down by kids to be a comparable size to Bee Hives. The set of Crown Brand photos includes a dozen team photos that are mounted on the same buff colored matting with the team and player names printed on the matting below the photo.

For the 1937-38 N.H.L. season, The Canada Starch Co. offered a free, thirty-two page booklet entitled, How to Become a Hockey Star. The booklet (available in both English and French versions) was offered in exchange for one label from a tin of Crown Brand or Lily White Corn Syrup. (Other booklets in this series were: How to Become an Athlete, Canadian Rugby Football and Baseball and How to Play It which were offer over a few years). Again Crown Brand was trying to match the Who's Who in hockey booklets issued by Bee Hive from 1936 to 1941.

As a counterpart to the St. Lawrence Starch Companys Bee Hive Sportsviews radio program that was hosted by Wes McKnight, Canada Starch sponsored the Crown Brand Sports Club, featuring Harry Red Foster.

The War plane photos issued by Crown Brand were also issued the same year 1941 by Bee Hive, they went head to head.

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login BobbyBHockey)

Planes

No score for this post
March 16 2012, 7:43 AM 

Quaker Oats also got into the plane premiums as well. I really love premium stuff.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Roger McCalmont
(Login ROGER49)

Canada Starch poster

No score for this post
December 8 2012, 2:21 PM 

My research into the Canada Starch 'Warships & Planes' cards leads me to believe the poster you have was issued in early 1941. The product promotion started in February 1941.
Initially the set was to consist of 29 cards but sometime during the year was changed to 30 with the addition of an unnumbered 'Hawker Hurricane' using the same photo as card #214. I have never been able to find a logical reason for the numbering to start at 213.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index