Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

May Pickups

May 3 2010 at 11:25 AM
No score for this post

Tom Boblitt  (Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Some late April, early May pickups

Complete set of (16) Cracker Jack Bear Postcards E147
[linked image]

Some Ghirardelli and Frat Chocolates Postcards of California Missions
Ghirardelli
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Frat Chocolates
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Zatek Miss Pappoose Card E258
[linked image]

E280 Haas (maker of PEZ) Bookmarks
[linked image] [linked image]

Candy box that probably contained Sa-Yo cards E202-E204?
[linked image]

Interesting Lot that included (4) N92 Directory of Merchants, N88a large Terrors of America type, Kinney Sweet Caporal Calendar Card (N242?), Duke Coupon and 3-4 other low grade tobacco cards.
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Some general stuff for set building
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login ctyankee)

Re: May Pickups

No score for this post
May 3 2010, 11:53 AM 

Tom
I once received that sa-yo box with cards inside it, so I assume it relates.
Why did the mission post card seller price the ghardellis at 5 and the frat's at 9?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Great.........

No score for this post
May 3 2010, 12:06 PM 

Question.........no idea. Glad to get them at that. Some of the Ghirardelli's were dupes, so they'll make good trade bait for the others I need. That was the first time I'd seen the Sa-Yo box. Actually picked up a second one as well. Which cards did you get in the box?

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

p.s.

No score for this post
May 3 2010, 12:07 PM 

The Frat's aren't listed anywhere (yet) and there appears to be two sets of them.....one of the Missions and one of California Scenes.

Anonymous
(Login only_child)

No score for this post
May 3 2010, 3:26 PM 

A nice rare-card pick up from REA at an unbelievably low price. I seriously thought it would for well into the thousands, it's really a tough card.

[linked image]

Kevin

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples

Dave L
(Login PSUinCT)

No score for this post
May 3 2010, 5:24 PM 

Kevin, That card has been at the top of my want list for a couple years now. I just picked this one up.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by PSUinCT on May 4, 2010 11:23 AM

Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 3:36 AM 

Dave , Lovely card . Is that the one Murrays recently had up for sale ?

Mark

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Dave......

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 6:05 AM 

Is that from the same issue as Kevins card? Ihave about 15-20 of that set but not that card. Where did the v290 come from? I don't show that in my ACC......I stopped at v289......those are neat cards.....

Bobby
(Login BobbyBHockey)

Hamilton Gum

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 7:45 AM 

Yes, I don't know where they got the V290 from either for this series Tom. Its from the Hamilton Gum issue of these cards which I believe was released in the 1950's (1950 to maybe be exact).

The reason why I believe this is, is that the wrapper has a cowboy scene on it with one of the cowboy's saying "the laws got you now Tug Bailey", from the movie "Rider From Tucson" released in 1950. (no book was published prior from my research, just in case you were thinking that).

Also, the wrapper is a 2¢...the only other Canadian 2¢ wrapper I have seen is Hopalong Cassidy, this we know was released in 1950.

As you can see in the auction link below, three sets in one lot came from one person who had collected these as a kid (which would also make the Indian Chiefs 1950 or around that date as well!!)

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=55&lotid=442

Any other thoughts out there!?

Bobby

Dave L
(Login PSUinCT)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 11:19 AM 

Mark, yes it was.

Tom, I'm not sure where PSA got that number. I'll ask them.

Here is the description taken from the REA Auction for this card.

One of the great rarities in all of nonsport card collecting is entitled "An Exciting Game" and at a glance appears to be an unknown card from the 1910 T53 Hassan Cowboy Series. Technically the card is not actually a T53 in that it is from a 1930s Canadian candy set that borrows the images from T53 Hassan Cowboy Series, with the exception of the image that appears on this card #32 which is unique to this set. This card is actually part of a 1930s Canadian 40-card set entitled "The Cowboy, His Life and Fun" (catalogued D25). Card #32 pictures a cowboy drawing his gun on the other players during a poker game. According to card-collecting folklore (and all we can do is report the story, which sounds very plausible to us) the image on this card was originally intended to be included in the T53 set, but was pulled from production in 1910 because it was deemed too violent and inappropriate for distribution by the manufacturer. Few card collectors are familiar with this card today. We can say with certainty that this is the first we have even become familiar with it. Among old-time advanced nonsports-card collectors and historians, however, it has been well known and held in extremely high esteem. Noted nonsports-card historian Chris Benjamin (former editor of Non-Sport Update and author of the classic reference work Sport Americana Price Guide to the Non-Sports Cards) has ranked this card as number three on his list of the ten rarest nonsports cards.

This message has been edited by PSUinCT on May 4, 2010 11:24 AM

Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 11:41 AM 

Hello to All ,

Dave , It graded out nice for you , well done on the pick up .

If i remember rightly the e-bay listing contained similar info that you've provided above .

Great addition to any collection .

Mark

Bobby
(Login BobbyBHockey)

absolute possibility of a definate maybe

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 12:12 PM 

Boy, those auction writers sure know how to make their descriptions sound like everything and nothing.

1880nonsports
(Login 1880nonsports)

happy

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 2:12 PM 

to add this 7th framed album to the fold by way of board member Roger (Thanks!). The only other album I have plans to frame should I connect in LOTTO - is the Goodwin round. Couple others might look sweet like bathing girls and notably I have yet to frame a Kinney album - Surf Beauties might do the trick - but my basic goal is finally complete - 1st & 2nd Ginter Champions, Duke Sporting Girls, Kimball Savage Chiefs, Ginter Indians, Goodwin Games and Sports, Kimball Champions. I'll never frame my Old Judge Champions as it wouldn't present the same.
The Richmond Straight Cut piece is great! They listed it as a box top BUT I see no evidence of that. I think it was either a store card or box topper. Anyone?

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Kevin Saucier
(Login only_child)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 2:28 PM 

Dave, that is one nice card! What a great pick up. From what I can tell, this accounts for only three that I know of...1 PSA, 1 SGC and one raw displayed by Dan in the gallery. A very rare card indeed, far less than many other notable ultra-scarce cards. It just flew under the radar.

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples

Dave L
(Login PSUinCT)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 3:40 PM 

Tom, Its listed as a V290 on page 210 in the Holy Bible. happy.gif

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Gotcha........

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 3:51 PM 

Must've been the logical extension from the ACC that Chris went with V290...........

Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

An Exciting Game Card

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 5:46 PM 

Guys,

Is the "An Exciting Game" card a D25 or a V290? I've passed on at least 3 of them over the years on Ebay and they all went for under $100.

Chuck Millburn
(Login cemill)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 5:50 PM 

V290 originally assigned by Chris Benjamin in his ACC update.

Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 6:18 PM 

OK. I believe they are as common as any other card in the set. They are just a little harder to find since many T53 collectors put it in their set.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Henry......

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 7:57 PM 

That is definitely a window card or some point of sale advertising. It's a beautiful piece......

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index