Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

What are the two rarest non sports cards?

June 4 2010 at 9:23 PM
Score 1.0 (1 person)
Ted  (Login hfire)

The 30K Superman guy says he has the two rarest non sports cards. Baseball has the Holy Grail, But what about over here, I would love to hear what you guys think are the hardest cards to get. Thanks Ted

TM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

Re: What are the two rarest non sports cards?

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 9:46 PM 

I have 20-30 cards that only 1 are known to exist.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Claude
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 9:48 PM 

There is probably a lot of cards which are one of a kind, many tobacco card sets still have incomplete checklist BUT any of these cards would not bring the attention or value that a "Mckinley", "Strongman" or "Cowboy outfit" would bring.

If you are looking for what are the key cards on each major sets, well that's a secret

Ted
(Login hfire)

Rarest?

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 10:10 PM 

Co'mon Guys, You have to have an opinion, no one will commit, top 2 then what about top 5? It is the weekend & I have to have a few cards to look for (just kidding). But really, would love to hear some names.

TM

Claude
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 10:22 PM 

I just gave you 3 names

The McKinley I think there is only 2 known
The Strongman I don't think there is one authenticated yet
The Cowboy Outfit One of the member of this board bought one not long ago, and there is another member (may be two) who also have one.

Look in the gallery.

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/z-ns-tuffies/rare.html
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/z-ns-tuffies/tuff.html

Alan Elefson
(Login aelefson)

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 10:25 PM 

Ted-
I would recommend checking the gallery as Dan C created webpages for rare and super rare cards. I believe there was also an excellent thread about rare NS cards a year or two ago. I would agree with what is written above and what is shown in the gallery in terms of some of the most sought after NS cards.
Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson

ted
(Login hfire)

thanks

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 11:31 PM 

thanks guys, greatly appreciated

TM

Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
June 4 2010, 11:34 PM 

There are at least 5 McKinley's and over a dozen WW Cowboy Outfit cards. But they aren't nearly as rare as the 20-30 cards I have of which there are only 1 known. And I'm not talking printing errors or similar. Here's a few I already have scanned. Actually the Contentnea's aren't mine, they are Bill Humphrey's and his are also 1 of 1. But I have others. And I know Tom and David R and many others have several uncatalouged N-cards. probably a lot more than I do.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by egbeachley on Jun 4, 2010 11:39 PM

Ralph P
(Login 30s_non-sport_gum)

No score for this post
June 5 2010, 5:32 AM 

There is an important aspect that needs to be considered when asking about rare cards, prices, etc.

It's not just which cards have the lowest populations. Any number of our Forum's members could probably dredge up groups of one-of-a-kinds from their shoe boxes . . . trade cards, etc. Dan's "junker" box is probably a treasure trove of these. happy.gif

But those probably won't excite all of us very much because the issue isn't just about population size . . . it's really about the extent to which demand outstrips that supply.

Maybe there are 20 Honus Wagners out there (I don't know, making up a number) but there are hundreds upon hundreds of avid baseball card collectors who all want the card and are willing to pay up for the honor. Result: bingo! High-priced scarce cards.

Another good example might be the Hitler cards in Horrors of War. These are actually not as difficult as many folks believe, probably not THAT much more difficult than some of the other of the scarce high number HOW runs. The difference, though, is that many or most collectors will know something about the Hitler cards, even when the rest of HOW draws a blank for them. They may decide to collect a few type cards from HOW, and target the familiar Hitler cards. Also, there will probablyu be a lot of potential crossover collectors (war buffs, Nazi collectors, history collectors, etc.) As a result, the demand/supply ratio for the Hitler cards is way higher than other HOW cards. Result: bingo again! Strong prices.

So this starts to makes it easier to accept the pricing anomalies such as Honus Wagner vs McKinley. There are probably way more Wagners than McKinleys, hands down. But looking at the relative sizes of the bidding populations for each card, it's easy to see why the McKinley card might be $15k on a good day, but Honus hits 7 digit prices.

Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

No score for this post
June 5 2010, 5:44 PM 

This thread could probably easily divide into: (A) rarest N/S cards; (B) most valuable N/S cards.

Jon.

Jerry
(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
June 5 2010, 7:12 PM 

Actually there are about 50 T206 Honus Wagner cards out there.

Rand
(Login Thrill-of-the-Hunt)

my 2 cents

No score for this post
June 5 2010, 10:15 PM 

back from a nice long week off.

good thread. ralph, once again pretty much sums it up. there are about 100 wagners out there (so far) they keep coming out of the attic, i think at least 5 "new" wagners have surfaced over the last few years. ty cobb/ty cobb back has about 10 copies and they are worth a fraction of a wagner in poor condition. (poor wagner around $300,000, cobb back in fair condition $60,000 ish )

anyhow. hands down, #4 strongman from the I'd Like to be set... if an authenticated example hit the auction floor... $20,000 would be a start and perhaps a crazier price beyond that.

Ted
(Login hfire)

Mckinley? High # Indian Gum?

No score for this post
June 5 2010, 11:34 PM 

Read all the threads of the Marquis (WOW),
I thought some of the Indian gum cards were really hard to find? Are they worth more than 30K Superman?
Is Mckinley really that hard or is it just a rumour? I have a feeling a box is gonna pop out of someone's attic in upstate NY or elsewhere when they hear the value. I think you guys are right the demand determines the price.

How much of a demand is there on Mckinley? I wonder what Mr Moses thinks. Thanks for all the info guys.

TM

This message has been edited by hfire on Jun 5, 2010 11:39 PM

Jerry
(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 9:25 AM 

Just a cautionary note about Strong Man No. 4. I have found two more fakes that are identical to mine (As shown in the Benjamin Guide). Apparently a bunch of these were made in the early 80's. If you come across one, first step would be to compare it to the one in Benjamin's book. If the punch holes & void mark line up it is almost certainly a fake (Although the real one they were copied from might still be out there). I've posted scans of my fake Strongman No. 4 before but if anyone is interested I'll email scans of the card to you.

This message has been edited by WarHoundR69 on Jun 6, 2010 9:25 AM

Jerry
(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 9:28 AM 

Ted - The Series 288 Indian Gums are the hardest/most valuable but you will pay a few hundred bucks each (If you can find them).

ted
(Login hfire)

Fake Mckinley's, N's, etc

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 10:17 AM 

If there are so many fake Stongman out there, What about other fakes? Is there a lot out there. A lot of cards look too good to be 120 years old in the N series that I have. I have seen a lot of cards on Ebay for hundreds that look too good, but I've only been collecting maybe 6 months. If the Mckinley is so valuable, are there fakes there too? Thanks

TM

Jerry
(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 11:04 AM 

There are fakes of many cards out there, although I do not know of any McKinley fakes. The best protection is knowledge. After handling many real cards you kinda develop a "SPIDER SENSE" when handling a questionable card. Somehow you just know that some thing is not right. Cann't explain it any better than that.

keith lentz
(Login keithlentz)

Rarest

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 11:19 AM 

The 2 you want, but don't have.

Jerry
(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 12:13 PM 

You are right Keith - Strongman No. 4 & R37 John Dillinger.

ted
(Login hfire)

fake strongmen

No score for this post
June 6 2010, 4:26 PM 

Does anyone know were the fake strongmen computer generated or were they the devious handwork of someone?

TM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index