Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Five Toughest R Master Sets

September 9 2010 at 12:46 AM
No score for this post
  (Login WarHoundR69)

Here is another one of my Top 5 Lists. So here goes:

1. US Caramel Presidents - Imagine trying to get McKinley in all the color variations (And 3 of them exist - don't know about the rest).
2. Sea Raiders - I'm starting to think that the Map Card is scarcer than WW No. 25
3. Wild West - mainly due to No. 25
4. Indian Gum - S288's lead the way.
5. G-Men & Heroes of the Law - Any comments here Mark?

And an honorable metion to Fleer Cops & Robbers.

I'm close on Master Sets for Nos. 3 to 5. So any comments or opinions? I'd love to hear any input.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Chuck Ross
(Login ChuckRoss)

Re: Five Toughest R Master Sets

No score for this post
September 9 2010, 6:42 AM 

I'd have to think that R23 Big Little Book series would have to be up there. 224 card set and none of them are easy. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting close to finishing that one.

Edited to add: Jerry, R23 may not be the type of set you're referring to in the "master set" category since there aren't different variations of the same card, but it's always been my thought that it's the most difficult of the R sets that have a chance of being completed (i.e. we all know there are some R numbers for which it's a miracle to find one example, much less a set)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login 030190)

R Master Sets

No score for this post
September 9 2010, 10:04 AM 

If you want some fun, try to get a Master Set of either R133 or R134..At least 6 different color backgrounds for each card in the 96 card series.

Rand
(Login Thrill-of-the-Hunt)

2 cents worth

No score for this post
September 10 2010, 11:47 AM 

i dont think the map card is anywhere near as tough as the WW #25. map cards are out there, their owners do not want to give them up. i missed out on a terrific lot last year with a few SR highs with a map card, i didnt have the funds at the time. even though the card is very elusive, i wouldnt mistake it for extreme rarety (at least at this time) if i cant find one in another 3-4 years then perhaps my view will change.

(Login deadballera)

No score for this post
September 10 2010, 12:32 PM 

how about the

Mickey Mouse w/ Movie Stars ?

(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
September 10 2010, 1:33 PM 

Forgot that one - my whole purpose on this thread was to put new challenges in my face. Ralph C. has a lock on the MM & MS set. I'll be bidding when Ralph auctions his set. The OPC are next to impossible.

(Login nsaddict)

R34 Commando Ranger

No score for this post
September 10 2010, 1:47 PM 

I think this one belongs in the top 5 for sure as far as master sets go. Don't believe any collector is even close to having all the combos here. Just completing the base set of 70 cards is a bit of a challenge, now multiply that by all the back variations known. Would you give it a go Jerry? Included a link to my research from 3 years ago.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/search?searchterm=commando+ranger+variation&sort=match

Chuck Ross
(Login ChuckRoss)

No score for this post
September 10 2010, 7:21 PM 

Actually, I'm not sure if this thread is about the hardest R sets that can be completed or about sets that have variations of certain cards. In any case, I would add to hardest R sets of all (after Big Little Book series) R121 Scharley Questions. I have a couple and have seen a few over the years but I recall an old hobby friend Harry Oman buying a huge lot of older nonsports cards (a few thousand) and finding a near set (at least two thirds?) of an R121 set in there. I think when he got out of the hobby he sold it to eBay's cwick74. I'll hold off on his real name, but most know cwick74 as "the guy that never lost an eBay auction". Anyway, Harry's find makes me think maybe there are some of these R121s out there.

(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
September 12 2010, 5:27 AM 

Thank You everyone For your answers. Gave me some pondering to do.

(Login ChuckRoss)

No score for this post
September 12 2010, 7:57 AM 

Jerry, once you finish off 3-5 on your list, think about taking on Big Little Book series. After your work on other tough sets, you may actually be the guy to pull the first complete set together (I'm assuming there aren't any complete sets out there...I've never seen or heard of one)

(Login WarHoundR69)

Sea Raiders - Map Card

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 4:22 AM 

Thank you everyone for your input. I just worked out a deal for the Sea Raiders Map Card. My starting point is always get the toughest card in a set first. Once I had that one, got three more high no. Sea Raiders in a trade for some of my G-Men dups. Then on to others so that I have a possibility to get the Master Set up to 52 Different

So I'm going after the Sea Raiders Master Set.

The cartoon/funny pages cards have no appeal for me but Thank You everyone for the info.

(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 8:27 AM 

Great choice Jerry , i look forward to seeing your progress .

Mark

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Isn't the master set of Sea Raiders...........

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 10:07 AM 

96 cards? Three versions each for the low numbers (24x3) and the 24 high numbers? I know Dan McKee has been working on them for decades and is about 3-4 short of the 96...............and I know he's got high numbers for sale Jerry.......

Rand

sea raider master set

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 10:19 AM 

there are 4 variations on 1-24, 2 variation on 25-48, total 144 cards.

(Login WarHoundR69)

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 1:58 PM 

This should be a fun journey, so far I have 4 high nos.

Chuck Ross
(Login ChuckRoss)

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 3:12 PM 

Dan McKee is a great guy, Jerry, he'll help you out

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Second that motion............

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 4:12 PM 

Chuck.......

oh yeah

No score for this post
September 14 2010, 7:46 PM 

he's a great guy, as long as you agree with everything he says.

(Login vampirules)

G-Men Toughness

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 10:23 PM 

Hello everyone:

I'm a new member here and this is my first post.

I have a rather large number of G-Men cards including multiples of the rare numbers both graded and ungraded. In my opinion they are not the easiest to find but they do turn up more frequently than the other four possibilities from the original post.

Back in the 1977-1982 range when I was first collecting non-sports I had the good fortune to complete a high quality set courtesy of singles purchased from Robert J Foster when he was still alive. I sold a complete high grade set of these to Val DeCarlo as well as maybe 300 dupes of decent quality including some of the high numbers and rare numbers. I'm guessing that they switched hands since then.

Re-entering the hobby in 2005 I managed to recompile a set and in the process accumulated a net total of approx 450 cards inclusive of numbers 28 (2x), 57 (1x), 88 (2x), 94 (2x) and 100 (3x) in varying conditions. Plus I passed on a few rares along the way due to the costs. They are out there...just a matter of the price, I think.

The BLB collection as a while is probably the rarest non sports item of all...as a whole. I do not even recall seeing a claim of a set being completed, graded or not.

This is a great subject for debate...and a stark contrast to an amusing link that a friend forwarded to me earlier. It was my proving to him how clueless this article was that lead me to this site !! Read for yourself and enjoy in light of what we all know to be the true rarest of the rare.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/10-priciest-collectible-cards-232119394.html

Robert T Mruczek
Non-Sports collector since 1977

Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 11:08 PM 

Hey Robert. I noticed you listed the 5 G-Men rare cards. But it's almost certain that there are actually 15 cards of equal rarity. These 5 somehow belonged on a few wantlists long ago and took on a life of their own. Would be interested in how many of the following you have.

38, 45, 49, 64, 76, 83, 107, 115, 121, 196.

How is the Sea Raiders Master Set going, Jeery?

Ross
(Login ExcessBaggage)

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 11:29 PM 

Hello Robert,
Welcome to the board. I am also a new member here and so far everyone has been very friendly and helpful. In a very odd coincidence, although I don't know you, and have probably never mentioned your name before, your name came up in a conversation I had just earlier today. I recommended "The King of Kong" movie and specifically mentioned Twin Galaxies and your role in verifying the scores, as I am currently working on a few records I will be submitting shortly. It is a very odd coincidence to see your very first post here on the same day...so welcome!

P.S.
Like many others here I am working on the Sea Raiders master set, but I only have one high number and it's in rough shape. I was lucky to pick up 2 #1's recently though that I think present nicely. I saw a map card on Ebay not long ago (one creased corner) sell for around $350, then saw it relisted as a BIN for around $1000 not long afterwards. I felt a little remorse for not pulling the trigger (at the auction price), but it's a centerpiece type card and I'll wait and spend a bit more for one without any creasing.

(Login thescooper)

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 11:29 PM 

please delete

(Login vampirules)

The Other Rare G-Men Cards

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 11:31 PM 

Hi:

Wow, 15 ? I thought there were just 12 !! Live and learn happy.gif

Dennis Casey is the one that told me about the different degrees of rarity. I always wondered why when many years back I saw certain numbers up for auction in Hakes Collectibles that they fetched $75-100 so that made sense.

Here is what I have for what I was told were the other rare numbers...

38, 45, 49, 64, 76, 83, 107 - 1 specimen each in VG

I purchased more of the "Very Rare" numbers in case I needed them for trade down the line, but never bothered to purchase extras of the other seven.

I should have written down the numbers that you cited before replying to see if there were any more. Will reply in a minute as to what I might have of those as well.

Robert

(Login vampirules)

The Other Three (and 1 more)

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 11:35 PM 

Hi again:

I just checked on 115, 121 and 196.

Card 121 was a tough one for me. I found one in fair condition and never bothered to upgrade.

Card 115 I have in VG.

As for card 196, I have fortunately made a purchase in PSA 7.5 condition awhile back for $114.38 off Ebay which at the time I thought was a good deal as I also was having problems finding that card in any condition.

Oddly, someone mentioned to me awhile back that card 201 was tough to find though not considered one of the rarer cards. I lost out on at least two of these on Ebay due to higher bidding.

Robert

(Login vampirules)

No score for this post
April 16 2012, 11:37 PM 

Yes, Ross, that is indeed myself in "King of Kong" !!

I am also currently in "Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade" which is currently on Hulu.com and in a much rarer documentary called "High Score: the Movie" by Jeremy Mack. I actually like the last movie best happy.gif

(Login willhc)

Five Toughest R Master Sets

No score for this post
April 17 2012, 8:00 PM 

Don't know which five are the toughest but I do know of one complete Big Little Book set existing in the hobby. An article is being written by two collectors (the owner and another collector) and should appear in The Wrapper very soon.

usnascouter
(Login usnascouter)

Give a little credit

No score for this post
April 17 2012, 10:39 PM 

I think that somewhere in the top five one would have to place the Zoom series. 775 cards in and of itself would be tough, but those 200 low number colored cards are nearly impossible. They turn up onesie-twosie, so trying to get 200 different variations is much harder than getting the G-Men toughies and 240-less variations.

Like the BLB cards, I do not think anyone even claims to have a master Zoom set. I know of at least three master Indiamn Gum sets and at least 2 G-Men master sets.

I used to think the Indian Gum master was the ultimate - then I completed it....

Current Topic - Five Toughest R Master Sets  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index