Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

help - kimball/photo cabinet pairing ID

September 12 2010 at 3:43 PM

1880nonsports  (Login 1880nonsports)

scanner finally WORKING!!!!!! so's I can post some stuff...... I bought this cabinet photo at the national. It's "Joe. Mc. Pherson". Note the great diaper style pants and the medals on his waist as he hoists the shotput. There's "John Mc Pherson" from the Kimballs N184 set. Champion shot putter of the world. I did some searching and found nuttin honey.......... They look the same in terms of their head shape and whatever. What was his real name? Are they the same person (one would think so but maybe a twin or...?)? In addition to collecting the 5 mainstream N sets - I am trying to capture small biographical info on each of the "players". Can anyone help with any info.?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

Re: help - kimball/photo cabinet pairing ID

September 12 2010, 4:17 PM 

Henry ,hope this helps ;

DASHED TO DEATH
Terrible Fate of John D. McPherson - Fell from a new lock gate and alighted on the flooring 46 feet below. He was picked up unconscious and died a short time after the accident.

World Champion Shot-Putter
John D. "Jack" McPherson
1865-1895
Another terrible accident occurred at the new lock shortly after 9 o'clock yesterday when John D. McPherson, one of the world's well known athletes and shot-putters, fell from one of the lower gates and landed on the lock floor 46 feet below. He was picked up by men employed on the work, and was found to be in a dying condition. He was removed to the boarding house of Miss McGregor on Ferris Street, and Dr. B. D. Harison was summoned. Upon examination no broken bones were found, but as he alighted on his head and shoulders the skull was badly injured and numerous internal injuries were also sustained. Mr. McPherson remained unconscious until 1:10 o'clock in the afternoon, when he died.

Yesterday morning Mr. McPherson left his boarding house to visit some acquaintances on the lock work. He crossed safely over both the gates of the old and new lock, talked with several of his friends, who noticed that "Jack," as he was familiarly known, had been drinking and advised him on his return not to cross over the gates but to walk around. He did not heed the warning, and started over the gates. When near the south end he lost his balance and fell off. In his descent he struck part of the staging, which broke his fall to some extent but not enough to save him.

John D. McPherson, as his name signifies, was of Scotch parentage. He was 30 years of age, and has held the world's medal for champion shot-putting for several years. He has met the best men in his particular line from all over the world and defeated them. He visited Scotland and England on more than one occasion and always returned to American with newly won medals. Mr. McPherson had a wide acquaintance and made friends wherever he went. His untimely fate is regretted by all.

The funeral will be held from the residence of J.K. McGregor on Ferris Street at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, and the remains will be interred in Riverside Cemetery. A father, three sisters and three brothers survive the deceased.

edited to add picture ;

[linked image]

This message has been edited by TheNewtonian on Sep 12, 2010 4:21 PM

1880nonsports
(Login 1880nonsports)

you the man............

September 12 2010, 4:56 PM 

still unresolved however are the naming issues - now "Jack" is in the mix but still no "Joe./Joeseph - unusual that the photographer and publisher (Police Gazette) would have his name incorrect on a mount attribution but perhaps like a card issue of many luminaries where misspeeeeling and misidentifying is encountered it happened. . MANY thanks however for such a quick and useful response. For now I'm going with the idea that it's the same person.........

This message has been edited by 1880nonsports on Sep 12, 2010 5:01 PM

DJR
(Login djrauctions)

September 12 2010, 5:36 PM 

[linked image]

1880nonsports
(Login 1880nonsports)

NICE ONE!

September 12 2010, 6:48 PM 

now is it the same guy as Kimball happy.gif

Todd McKnight
(Login irelnd4evr)

Great Pictures

October 10 2017, 1:44 PM 

Hey...great pictures...just came across this posting...I know it's old...I am hoping you still respond.

John D is my great, great, Uncle on my Mom's side.

Is there anything else you want to know? If you do some research...his style revolutionized shot putting.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2229&dat=18900511&id=CeQyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7AAGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5310,317848&hl=en

tm
(Login agfav)

7 YEAR OLD QUESTION !!

October 10 2017, 5:33 PM 

thanks for posting. Can you answer Henry's question "Who was Joe McPherson?" Since he asked it many years ago he might
have gotten an answer. Henry comes around every couple of days so keep checking back and he will reply to you.
By now he might have more questions, but welcome to the board! Are you a tobacco card collector? But keep checking,
Henry will be glad to hear from you. Thanks. ted

This message has been edited by agfav on Oct 10, 2017 8:15 PM

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Joe/John Mc Pherson

October 10 2017, 6:12 PM 

The link given by Todd shows a 1890 newspaper image of the same athlete, pose, clothes and all as the one in the cabinet photo. The newspaper identifies the shotputer as John Mc Pherson, the cabinet as Joe Mc Pherson. I think it's clear that the cabinet photo creators got it wrong. - Jack J.

John Rafferty
(Login swarmee)

October 10 2017, 6:58 PM 

Well, Henry, the interesting thing to me is the cabinet is the same as the inset photo on the Goodwin's card.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>