Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Help identifying Odd Rod Cards- not stickers!

March 13 2011 at 10:54 PM
No score for this post
  (Login BorderPatrolTrading)

Hello, wondering if someone can supply some info on a set of Odd Rod Cards. I have a full set of what appears to be a 1973 reprint set of Fabulous Odd Rods. The backs are printed like stickers with the "Fold corner..." message and they are printed upside down from the front image. However upon closer examination, these are 100% cards only. Any ideas? Thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login non-sport.com)

Re: Help identifying Odd Rod Cards- not stickers!

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 1:19 PM 

Never heard of a "card" version of these unless it is some modern reprint issue. Are you sure they are not the stickers? The stickers are printed on card type stock and look more like a card than a sticker. This is especially true now as the glue dries out making it appear even more "card" like.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Odd Rod cards

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 3:07 PM 

Todd,
I'm 100% sure they are cards only. They are very high quality prints, even cut like originals in that they are all centered a little different. I've searched high and low for indications that someone did a modern reprint of these and have found nothing. Is it possible these are reprint prototypes of some sort done before the 1973 reprint series?

(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 7:37 PM 

Don, I doubt it. I have never heard of anything like that. I do know they found a hoard of the Fabulous Odd Rods sets several years ago. I know these were stickers - many are off center.

Odd Rod Cards

No score for this post
March 14 2011, 10:10 PM 

So far everyone I've talked to who knows about these cards has no idea. No one has heard of an aftermarket set being produced since the end of the original line. Which begs the question of who and why would someone produce a high quality replica set of 1973 Fabulous Odd Rods in card form only? Driving me crazy not knowing the answer!

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 15 2011, 12:43 AM 

Don, in today's market, people can duplicate just about anything. So never rule out bootleg fakes. That being said, it is also possible the printer ran off quite a few sheets on cardboard during "make ready" to get the colors right. Sticker paper is more expensive than regular cardboard stock (especially now, but even back then) so there was no need to "waste" the good stuff just to get the colors right. What is odd about that theory though, is that they would have no need to cut such sheets after they were run off. I guess someone could have kept a sheet and cut it later to sell it. (It would have been worth more uncut, as far as I'm concerned) but maybe they wanted to put it in pages, who knows? Or a cardboard set was saved for the company archives (less likely). Pressmen will sometimes "pinch" a sheet (or more) of anything they like because it's free and they think it's cool or maybe they think it will be worth something one day. What I don't think is possible is that it was released as cardboard cards at any time.

Don

Odd Rods

No score for this post
March 15 2011, 2:04 AM 

Kurt, thanks those are all good possibilities, and very enlightening. Now another interesting question, given those possibilities, is whether this set is worth anything? In offbeat circumstances I've seen these kind of situations make the item(s) worth basically nothing, about the same as the original, or even more valuable because of its potential uniqueness.

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

No score for this post
March 15 2011, 8:26 PM 

If it's legit (not saying it is or isn't) then it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. Since it's not in a price guide, there is no telling if someone would pay a lot, a little, or not bid on it at all. Sometimes people are not that interested in items that don't have a well known value. That's one of the problems with foreign stuff, too.

Current Topic - Help identifying Odd Rod Cards- not stickers!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index