Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

SNIPING PROGRAMS - Snipe Fail ?

April 10 2011 at 7:40 PM
No score for this post

Charley Ramone  (Login oldbubblegum)

Hey all, I just missed something due to my Snipe software misfire.
I can't remember this ever happening before. Very distressing.

Here was the response:
"To place your bid, we signin to eBay up to three minutes before your snipe time. This status means eBay did not respond to our login requests soon enough for us to place the snipe. This error should be rare, and only happens during extreme spikes in eBay traffic"

Is this something new? Anybody else have this happen today? Last night? Before? Is greebay blocking some snipes now?

Thanks

"showin the love since 1969"

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Lance
(Login thecatspajamas)

I've had that happen too

No score for this post
April 10 2011, 10:33 PM 

but only very rarely. Maybe 3-4 times over the last 3 years. Definitely less than 1% of the times that I have used a sniping service. If I remember correctly, in all but 1 instance it was for a reason similar to the one they gave you (the other time their server was out of commission or some such). There are definitely certain times, usually Sunday evenings, where eBay runs a bit slower than usual due to high traffic, and depending on how close to the end of the auction you have your snipe timer set (like within a few seconds of the end of the auction), it's conceivable that the lag would cause problems.

I seriously doubt that eBay would ever actually block sniping services (unless they instituted their own) since even a last-second bid is an increased bid, which means increased revenue for them. People were manually sniping long before the sniper programs came along. Also remember that the sniping service actually logs in as you (using your username and password), making it more difficult to differentiate between actual live bidders and ones coming from sniping programs.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

Re: SNIPING PROGRAMS - Snipe Fail ?

No score for this post
April 11 2011, 12:12 AM 

Hi Lance, Yes... I understand that it "could " happen...Its just never happened. So now, my snipe software can't be trusted. If I was buying jackets,clothes or sports cards...no big deal. But some of these non sport issues only show up rarely and not often...there is no chance to sign back in and buy it. Not like a 56 Mantle , which is sought after...but there will be another and another and many more listed in the weeks , months to come...NOT SO with my Non Sports.
I would think ebay (as you said) would not block as they would be cutting their own throats...but these jackasse's have implemented all kinds of stupid things in the past.would not be surprising
Heck, they suspend powersellers because they wantb to change their phone number (jerry)and for other stupid reasons...this cuts the profits...but they still do it.
Above board,good sellers are always fighting to list stuff, make ebay money whilst fly by night crooks..get accounts and list 1 or 2 expensive items and rip folks off ...yet, somehow their accounts remain active. I apply NO logic when encountering ebay actions.

Just thought I would drop a line and see if anybody velse missed something yesterday or tonight via a snipe...thats all.

Thanks for your response.

"showin the love since 1968"

Lance
(Login thecatspajamas)

I definitely understand

No score for this post
April 11 2011, 1:16 AM 

the frustration. I can't recall offhand what it was that I missed out on the times it flaked out on me, but I do recall being really upset in at least one instance. Especially since my "snipe" amount was well over what it wound up selling for otherwise. At that point though, like you said, there's not much you can do after the fact. I believe I did increase my lead time (by a second or two), but I'm not sure if that made any difference. I do find their statement about them logging into eBay as much as 3 minutes ahead of time doubtful. If that were the case, there's no way they would have been hampered that much by any level of eBay activity.

As for eBay themselves, I've learned (the hard way) that in individual disputes, they will nearly always side with the buyer, and in big policy changes, they will always do whatever makes them more money (often at the expense of sellers). Case in point: starting in July, they will charge sellers a percentage on the shipping fees they collect as well as the final selling price. How that is legal, to charge a commission on postage, I have no idea. But, to them, it's a way to stop sellers from side-stepping fees by selling items at low prices and charging huge shipping fees, so they're going with it. Every time they start hunting gnats, we all get smacked with the plank...

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

No score for this post
April 13 2011, 12:37 PM 

Wow. A commission on shipping. Amazing. You would think they would at least have a "commission free postage maximum" so that no commission is charged for the first $5 or so, but no, that makes too much sense.

The real problem is that they have a group of know-it-alls who meet up each month to figure new ways to increase revenues, and these guys are always trying to impress each other with new "gotcha!" policies. It doesn't matter if they make more money than ever before, they still meet with the intent of always changing stuff. They never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I believe 98% of all the really obnoxious things eBay does is the result of these meetings. It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. It won't stop until there's a revolution and everyone quits ebay and goes somewhere else. But that never seems to happen because everyone gets mad and "quits eBay" at different times, with never enough people moving to a new site at one time to give it the critical mass it needs to succeed. So the opposition is always conquered by dividing itself up into smaller and smaller groups over longer and longer periods of time. Jerry Brown is one of the worst Governors California ever had in the past, and yet, I'm glad they re-elected him instead of the former CEO of eBay, just out of spite! (Of course, if I lived in California and had to suffer under his rule, I would probably think differently, but since I'm far away, I can afford to let the West coast suffer to ease my anger at eBay.)

Here's a fun Tibetan riddle: If eBay was ever to be sold, do you think they would place themselves on eBay auction? We all know the answer to that, but hypothetically, if it DID place itself up for auction, how much would it sell for? And if there were a dispute between the buyer and seller, what side would they automatically side with?

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

Ahem! Eh Jerry Brown?!@

No score for this post
April 14 2011, 12:42 AM 

KK:"The real problem is that they have a group of know-it-alls who meet up each month to figure new ways to increase revenues, and these guys are always trying to impress each other with new "gotcha!" policies. It doesn't matter if they make more money than ever before, they still meet with the intent of always changing stuff".AMEN!

"They never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I believe 98% of all the really obnoxious things eBay does is the result of these meetings".AMEN! AMEN!

"It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse." AMEN! AMEN! PREACH IT KURT!

"It won't stop until there's a revolution and everyone quits ebay and goes somewhere else." CAN KURT GET A WITNESS?!

"But that never seems to happen because everyone gets mad and "quits eBay" at different times, with never enough people moving to a new site at one time to give it the critical mass it needs to succeed. So the opposition is always conquered by dividing itself up into smaller and smaller groups over longer and longer periods of time." PASS THE PLATE! KURT IS PREACHIN THE TRUTH!

Now, another matter KK:
"Jerry Brown is one of the worst Governors California ever had in the past.." AGREED!

"..and yet, I'm glad they re-elected him instead of the former CEO of eBay, just out of spite! (Of course, if I lived in California and had to suffer under his rule, I would probably think differently.."
YES! YOU WOULD BRO.

"...but since I'm far away, I can afford to let the West coast suffer to ease my anger at eBay.."

Kurt, it's not just the west coast suffering! This NIMROD has placed a ban on gov't dollars spent on Incentives and Promotional Products. His office estimates saving 7.4 million in the next few years. DID HE BAN MEDIA ADVERTISING? NOOOO! So, if you are a gov't agency trying to PROMOTE or GET YOUR MESSAGE OUT,Use INCENTIVES TO REWARD EMPLOYEES or THE PUBLIC ...you can spend all you want with Agencies on Madison Ave. on the OTHER coast or Buy all the print,Radio,TV time etc you want. But you can't buy what he calls "dodads" & "geegaws" to reach your target market!
How did this old political HACK get back in office???
OF COURSE! He used Promotional Products i.e. Bumper strips,Buttons,writing instruments,flyers,Etc Etc.!!
What a complete HYPOCRITE!
His heavy handed uninformed policy affects me, my industry,many importers,Manufactuers,Suppliers and Hard working everyday joe's. His 7.4 million dollar ignorant decision will cost double at the very least he is attwempting to save!
Short sighted, Knee Jerk decision might have sounded like a good talking point as he thought of it looking at the SEAL OF CALLIFORNIA Printed,Screened,Die Struck,Embossed,Debossed,Cast on all of the items in his office!!!!
What an "out of touch" complete Moron.
I bet California agencies can buy boatloads of syringes,condoms and coffee with citizens money and little oversight.
Why not ban Spending Gov't Money on rubber bands and paperclips??
What a DOLT!
I really feel sorry for this child like Moon Beam.
You can't make this stuff up.
I am commanded to love him, but I don't have to like him...And I don't!

Why do all politicians say they want to cut spending, save tax dollars etc etc yada yada yada.
Yet,only .01 percent serve for free?

what about Class warfare targeting the so called "rich"?

Has ANYBODY reading this EVER gotten a job from a Poor man? Did'nt think so.

I'm exhausted
Let me go look at my cards! (smile)

"tellin it like it is since 1963"

Balticprince
(Login Balticprince)

No score for this post
April 16 2011, 7:46 PM 

Well let me suggest a way for Ebay to both increase its revenues and discourage snipers. Anyone who places a bid in the last hour(?) of an auction that more than say doubles the level of their previous bid will pay the full value of their bid if they win the auction as opposed to just paying one tick above the next highest bid. This would act to encourage bidders to bid earlier.

The other thing that annoys me about Ebay is hidden reserves. If as a seller you're unwilling to sell below a certain price, that should be the minimum bid you specify. You shouldn't be allowed to in effect play games with a hidden reserve.

This message has been edited by Balticprince on Apr 16, 2011 7:48 PM

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 24 2011, 1:38 PM 

Balticprince: I agree about the "hidden reserves". They are big turn-off, and I generally don't bid on them. However, any complicated formula eBay devises to discourage last minute snipes is equally obnoxious in my book. Ebay wants to jack up everyone's bid by getting us all to bid against ourselves over a week or more, and they hope we'll get caught up in a competition and want to "beat" the other guy, even if the item isn't worth it. That's there business, I get it. But my business is not to waste my time or money on such games. Even if I "snipe" at the last minute and raise the price just 50 cents, if you multiply those snipes by the millions of times users do it, it's worth a tremendous amount of extra profit to eBay. So they better leave it alone if they know what's good for them. If they monkey with it out of greed, it will just become the straw that broke the camel's back (as far as I'm concerned).

The so-called eBay "community" evaporated a long time ago when they took away our ability to contact other users and offer trades. The novelty wore off too, as they made us change our usernames from our e-mail name to something else, then took it a step farther by converting it to some code (like "*um*r") so we can't even tell who won the auction and basically have to "trust" eBay that the other bidders were real people and not some computer shill program. The price hikes, hidden fees, and taking away the 2nd attempt to sell an item that didn't sell the first time for no added fee-- all that stuff as pissed us off over time. The more they make, the less generous they become. Even during a recession, as more and more people are forced to turn to them to scrape together some badly needed money, eBay just gets worse and worse. The arrogance and selfishness is unbelievable, and it shows no sign of abating. If I were them, the last thing I would do is provoke the customer with another poke at the hornet's nest.

But that's just me. You probably gathered that I am NOT eBay, and they will not follow my advice.

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
April 26 2011, 4:18 PM 

KK: "The more they make, the less generous they become. Even during a recession, as more and more people are forced to turn to them to scrape together some badly needed money, eBay just gets worse and worse. The arrogance and selfishness is unbelievable, and it shows no sign of abating."

SPOT ON MATE!

Do you know the way to san jose?

"showin the love since 1965"

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index