Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Non-sports cards and where you live

May 17 2011 at 11:39 AM
No score for this post

Jeff O.  (Login hires48)

This is my very limited observation. It appears to me that the best area for finding non-sports cards if the area from Chicago eastward to the New England states. I suppose this is because most if not all of the gum and confectionery companies are or were in that area. This area also appears to have most of the card shows. I know in Texas we are limited and I imagine it's that way all over the south. Except Florida where all the snow-birds retired to and took their cards with them.

I think the above observation is not only for now but has to do with how the cards were sold originally.

Post your observations and let's find out where we all need to move to.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Lance
(Login thecatspajamas)

Re: Non-sports cards and where you live

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 12:13 PM 

The same holds true for comic books, baseball memorabilia, and most other areas of collectibles (from my experience). The explanations I have heard usually point out that the northeast was more developed as far as manufacturing, certainly much earlier than much of the rest of the U.S., so not only was the "stuff" produced there, but there was also more money for luxury and non-essential items there. In the southeast (and more specifically Tennessee, where I am located), the "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do or do without." line of thinking has been so prevalent over the years that even when you do find something locally that has survived the years, it's usually pretty beat up. There are exceptions, but they are much fewer and farther between.

I think slowly, over the years, the "stuff" is being spread out more, but for all the reports I've read in different areas of collecting of dealers making "buying trips" where they will swing through an area, hit several shows, troll the local antique malls and flea markets, etc, most seem to be heading to the northeast. With the exception of Florida, I can't recall any of them making a buying run through the south.

A friend of mine who deals primarily with high-end baseball memorabilia was asked once why he doesn't open a store here. His response was simply, "Nobody around here will buy it." And clearly that is a generalization, but I still laugh every time I fill out my sales tax paperwork and 99% or more of my sales are out-of-state. I should probably go back through my records and figure out more specifically what area of the country all my stuff is heading to, but anecdotally off the top of my head, I would wager it's a toss-up between California, Florida, and one or more of the northeastern states. It definitely wouldn't be Tennessee happy.gif

This message has been edited by thecatspajamas on May 17, 2011 12:46 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Chuck Ross
(Login ChuckRoss)

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 2:25 PM 

I agree with the general comment about the Northeast, but in the old days of eBay I remember getting some really good stuff from Florida, some of which I know came from Northeasterners who had retired there.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

The best groups of nonsports are...........

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 2:34 PM 

somewhere on Lanham Street in Dublin Ohio................

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

There must be.............

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 2:38 PM 

great accumulations of US nonsports cards in the UK as well because I buy tons of stuff from there on ebay.....I always wonder how it got there in such quantity but it's interesting. I'm in Louisville KY and we have little to no quantity of cards down here. There are few antique malls down here and of the ones that there are, few of them have any ephemera type items. Of those, fewer still with any type of cards. Seems like East Coast is the place to be. Of course, the population density is strongest there as is the amount of time it's been populated in the last 235 years, so it only stands to reason that that's where the lion's share of cards are. Whenever locations are discussed for the National Sports Collectors Convention, East Coast Dealers and their convenience is always one of the major concerns. Plus it's the region where Dan the man lives.........

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 2:49 PM 

I know there isn't much in Ohio (at least not any more!)

Jeff O.
(Login hires48)

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 2:55 PM 

Todd having seen what you pickup every month I guess you have cleaned out Ohio. What state are you going to work on next???

Jack
(Login fallbrookjack)

Location of Stuff

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 3:18 PM 

Here in Southern California I don't believe there is a great deal of native collectibles. Like Florida, some has come in with the older crowd moving to the sunny side. I think this is due to the fact that first, we're relatively new to the Union and don't have generations living in the same house. Maybe more importantly, we don't build houses with attics or basements. It's easier to throw stuff out than to store it. Where are our accumulations of good stuff from the Grandparents ... it doesn't exist. Just my thoughts. -Jack

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 4:45 PM 

I posit a simpler explanation: weather. Where the weather sucks for months on end every year people stay indoors and have to amuse themselves. They tend to do more indoor activities. Card collecting is one such activity, especially in the 'olden days' before tv and the internet. Lots of time to kill, so card collecting is part of the solution, and accumulations of cards are gathered. In the Sun Belt people do not need as many indoor distractions and activities because they can spend time outside in relative comfort most of the time.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

This message has been edited by boxingcardman on May 17, 2011 4:47 PM

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

"Stuff" is Everywhere!

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 17 2011, 4:54 PM 

Just got back from the "trashman's" place. About 10k sq ft..not to big but Packed to the brim with a little of everything.He pulled out the only "calculated cheese wheel cutter" (1904) I have ever seen. He caught a man throwing it into the back of a truck in suburbia who was going to scrap it. A little research shows the Family of the man owned several confectionery companies years ago and a general type store. More research showed the man who patented the device was originaly from (drum roll) Wisconsin! This is/was a very complicated device with scale,lever,springs,blade and turned in a certain fashion cut the appropiate hunk o cheese the customer paid for...It was a flop...we can find out nothing more on that. Further discussion about families, history indicate that this man has thrown out quite a bit of his mothers "junk" to include CANDY & GUM flyers, Advertisments,displays! Ouch!
My seldom visited friend (trashman...he drives around picking trash piles,clean outs,works on old houses,takes whatever folks don't want)
He said he Picked a box from this guys garage of some type of candy a while back that each pack folded out and formed a "display" (his words)...said he took them to his antique booth and sold the whole box full of said packages 1 at a time for $10.00 each! Double Ouch!
He actually said: " Can you believe people would buy old candy packs?" (writer turns pale and almost faints)
Timing is everything.
So here I am in the land of presidents and there are Gum,Candy (cards?) related paperwork from all the national firms...Hmmm....Could there be more in other family members homes, Daughters,Sons? Son of Sons?
Outbuildings,Barns etc? Something akin to the REA find?
Hmmm...(Todd , please don't come here until I have finished my detective work and followed all of the leads)(grin)
Its like the old Mojo Nixon (look it up) song "Elvis is Everywhere!" Well, Stuff is everywhere.

Lance: I agree to a limited amount.
You see,quite by chance, I personally talked with the fella who found the PARIS find BEFORE the Paris Find was found.(say that 3 times) (Paris Tenn)(1 of the major Sports card finds of the last 30 years)
You see, this guy was into "Vinyl"(old records) and something else he would not disclose and he had a traveling job which put him all over the place. Whilst other salesmen painted a new town red and chased skirts all night. He would go to the local library and research old City Directories/phonebooks for mom and pop corner stores, Record Shops,Defunct Record Shops, General Stores, 5 and dimes..then research the surnames of owners..get the phone numbers..go back to hotel/motel and call everyone on the list and interview them...wa la! He did fairly well over the years but he also said that he was dead tired the next day after staying up late doing his "other job".

He walked into the Paris find(just another lead for him) and saw packs of old sports cards amongst other old stock, he said below 1 counter he saw stacks and stacks of bowman and topps boxes. However he was there for the "vinyl"..So seeing this old stock got his chops watering thinking of the "vinyl" that might be present.He bought all the man said he had and walked ,always intent on going back for more "vinyl"...never did...then years later...he saw the news in a collectibles/antiques newspaper about the "paris find". Shrugged his shoulders, has no regrets,in fact its hard to get him off the "Vinyl" subject!
So, TENN is not so bad after all? (snicker)

My opinion is like most here but I like... Penn,NY,NJ,IL,Florida,Washington D.C./Maryland in that order. Oh! and of course OHIO.

"Stuff" is Everywhere! The major problem I see is that Paper,Cards,Boxes are so fragile and just a little moisture or a little sun is all it takes to render it beyond return.
(sigh)

Could not resist:
http://youtu.be/e_hkIN38qnY

"Showin the love since 1962"
edited to add video

This message has been edited by oldbubblegum on May 17, 2011 5:16 PM

Bob Forbes
(Login forbesrs)

Almost nothing out here in the Northwest.....

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 8:04 PM 

Particularly for the older stuff, it's difficult to find anything out here. I believe this is because the population of Washington state was quite low in the early 1900's compared to the east coast so much fewer tobacco cards, etc. (if any!) were issued out here. All the tobacco companies were headquartered back east & this wasn't a big market for them. Still it's not very common to find any pre-1950's cards at all either. If it were not for eBay, I'd never obtain anything!

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

hmm..thats sad

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 17 2011, 9:21 PM 

Bob: for an old hand like you to give that report. I never thought about JUST tobacco cards. I collect a lot of different things and really like any paper. I guess thats why I rambled above that "Stuff is everywhere"..but if you are just collecting Tobacco inserts & premiums. That's a pretty narrow pitch for Washington State! So, I stand corrected...I guess you're "Stuff" IS NOT everywhere Bob.
I assumed most folks here collect more than just cards with some having a specific area 30's 40's 50's 60's (60's is something I want to get back into just because its availibility)Not being much on the earlier cards,inserts,premiums,silks and leathers which I don't see a lot of anywhere.

Another matter:
This has been my experience searching for Modern (R & others)cards. They just don't show up in huge numbers..I can count on my hand the number of non sport sets I have seen at auction in my local area. 1 complete (or so I thought at the time) G-men set from the estate of a lifelong hoarder. (he even saved every bottle cap he came across!) it took 4 auctions to liquidate. Lets see, a few Batman sets and Partridge family set...oh, and a handful of 1940 Lone ranger and hoppy cards.
Other than that...a few here, a few there...a pile here..a small pile there. Most of my "hits" was when I was actively buying entire sports card collections years ago (ick! yuck! I feel like taking a bath just going back to those days of weasels and snakes...You had to pull teeth to get people to turn over the "goods"...they almost always want you to buy their Cherry Picked Collection...so you have to keep asking them to come off the Keys and RC's ..sometimes 1 by 1...YUCK!)
Unless you run across a collector or dealer/flipper...you are probably safe to carry 10 top loaders while hunting all weekend. (sigh)

"showin the love since 1962"

Bill Christensen
(Login willhc)

Non-sport cards where I live

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 10:38 PM 

In Northern California, you can probably count the vintage non-sport collectors on both hands so that should make finding things easy when estates are liquidated but that sure isn't the case. Even when I was trying to buy sport cards, very few non sport were ever included. I attend two or three flea markets a month and rarely find anything other than Magic, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh (sp?). So scratch off No. Cal as a place to find that huge find. I have never found a major vintage set at any flea market in this area.

tony fryer
(Login thescooper)

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 10:47 PM 

All I can say is try collecting in British Columbia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

This does not count

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 17 2011, 11:27 PM 

Hey Bill, howya doin?

I bought a nice stash of Sealed Brady Bunch Packs out of your area about 3 years ago buried in a lot of trash...well, on ebay...so I guess that does not count.

Ever tried any pawn shops?, make a friend,let them know you will buy "candy" "gum cards" "TV show cards" if they get any in a sportscard collection. Free advice is worth about what you pay for it...but just a thought.

Take care

C

Tony: I imagine that would be a tough place,keep pluggin away mate.

BTW , Great Thread Jeff!

"Showin the love since 1963"
Edited to thank Jeff.

This message has been edited by oldbubblegum on May 17, 2011 11:30 PM

GregG
(Login GGterps)

Sharing the knowledge

No score for this post
May 18 2011, 12:41 PM 

Pennsylvania...hands down the best place to find good stuff at an affordable price. My wife reminds me of the rising gas costs every time I make the 2 or more hour run into fertile grounds

Surrounding states also good but the closer you get to the big cities the less likely to find good deals.

For the tobacco enthusiasts like me, don't sleep on the Richmond Tidewater area & NC. The opposite is true in North Carolina, you'l find the better stuff nearer the bigger cities.

Bob Kuhl
(Login Chicub)

No score for this post
May 18 2011, 1:47 PM 

I think I have the market cornered for non-sports cards in Niles, Ohio. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index