Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Old cigarette card packs

June 5 2011 at 3:17 PM
No score for this post
  (Login jbnonsport)

Picked up a tobacco collection a while back,included was a box of old packs and pack cutouts, at least a hundred or so. I am looking through it today and was just in awe of the artwork and thought put into making the packs attractive to the consumer of the time. I wonder why they chose not to advertise the card within most of the time?
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Chuck Ross
(Login ChuckRoss)

Re: Old cigarette card packs

No score for this post
June 5 2011, 4:28 PM 

Those are beautiful Jerry, certainly a level of craftsmanship we don't see much of today. I'm not sure what the answer is to your question about card advertising, although I expect these packs were issued for many years and the cards for only a few of those.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Rick P
(Login oldtix)

No score for this post
June 5 2011, 5:24 PM 

I think that is indeed the answer...the sunk cost of packaging could be spread across years rather than months by keeping the package pure, plus you avoid the complexity of having different packaging in different factories. Probably cheaper to print simple point-of-sale card announcements and posters.

Those packs are stunners, and our friends on the baseball side of the forum will go nuts for the Tolstoi, Red Sun, Drum and other wrappers used for highly-valued card backs!

mr.moses
(Login 1880nonsports)

no time now

No score for this post
June 5 2011, 5:55 PM 

but think rix might be right about that drum pack - don't recall seeing that one and one that held the card is one of the minor holy grails.......Unusal that it might be a long slide and shell as that configuration was rarely the standard tobacco card size and was most often used for silks.

(Login jbnonsport)

No score for this post
June 5 2011, 9:19 PM 

Thanks guys, that makes sense about not having to change the pack with every new insert, I hadn't thought about that. Also as Rick stated the other types of advertising (albums, banners etc.) to promote the new cards. I will put a few more up when time permits. Thanks for any info on these as I really know nothing about them other than I really like the colors,graphics and general look of them.

Jon Canfield
(Login canjond)

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 7:28 PM 

The Drum back is absolutely stunning. It is the same design as the pack which would have held a card, albeit the cards actually came in 10-count slide and shell boxes (very typical of almost all of the other packs that held cards). I've only seen 1 10-count slide and shell pack in my years of collecting, not to say that there are not more out there. Unfortunately, the scan is pretty bad, but here it is (look at the top left side...):

Here are some other beautiful packs from my collection. The imagery is surely stunning:

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visithttp://www.baseballandtobacco.com

This message has been edited by canjond on Jun 7, 2011 7:29 PM

(Login clarkscardsvt)

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 7:34 PM 

Great find. Some of the packages are very beautiful. Know there are tobacco pack collectors out there, but some of the ones shown are pretty rare.

(Login jbnonsport)

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 7:39 PM 

Here are a few more. Unfortunately the McAlpin is only a cutout of the front of the pack, still neat though. Jon thanks for the link,and showing those beautiful packs. I am starting to learn a little about these. Here are a few more.

(Login jbnonsport)

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 7:40 PM 

Edit to delete double post

This message has been edited by jbnonsport on Jun 7, 2011 7:42 PM

(Login 1880nonsports)

I'll post a few that I didn't put in the gallery

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 8:53 PM 

later. JB - there's a pack or two I'm interested in should you want to sell or trade happy.gif

Jeff
(Login teza11)

Another Old Pack Cutout Not Yet Posted

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 10:19 PM 

Just adding something new if someone is going to take the time to update the card pack gallery images. I don't have any history on this manufacturer or brand. Does anyone here recognize it?

[linked image]

(Premier Login leonl)

great packs

No score for this post
June 7 2011, 11:15 PM 

Great packs guys....thanks for sharing so far. Sorry for the large scans.....

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

(Login willhc)

Old cigarette card pack

No score for this post
June 12 2011, 7:41 PM 

Here is one more to add to the mix;

Jon Canfield
(Login canjond)

No score for this post
June 13 2011, 1:06 AM 

I'll add one more to the mix. This is surely the rarest and most valuable pack I own. It is complete with it's original card. Unfortunately time did take a toll on the card, but the missing left corner is in the pack, too!

For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Brent Butcher
(Login butcher354435)

No score for this post
June 13 2011, 11:39 AM 

I have a Lone Jack as well with the N365 issue. Mine looks to be a different variation. The pack itself was empty of the cigarettes but the original owner did place 3 cards inside before storing it away. I acquired it from a gentleman who was going through his great grandmother's belongings after her passing.

[linked image]

Jon Canfield
(Login canjond)

No score for this post
June 16 2011, 12:23 AM 

Great LJ pack. Looks to be in beautiful condition.

For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

(Login fallbrookjack)

Graded Pack

No score for this post
June 21 2011, 7:12 PM 

I guess they had a little trouble finding a holder that fit this cigarette pack. Just a funny image. -Jack J.

[linked image]

Current Topic - Old cigarette card packs  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index