Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

July pickups

July 1 2011 at 1:46 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
Jon Hardgrove  (Login carbking)

Just once, it was nice to be in the right place AT the right time!

For those who do not recognize these, they are the Fleer Stickshift set.

Jon.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

Re: July pickups

No score for this post
July 1 2011, 4:29 PM 

from 1899 , a couple of clowns .

This message has been edited by TheNewtonian on Sep 22, 2011 12:03 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
jim
(Login ctyankkee)

No score for this post
July 1 2011, 6:02 PM 

Jon
Seen them all, once upon a time
Sundays at the drag strip in Dover Plains NY
Besides the locals, every week two big names would race

Alan Winslow
(Login lazze2)

July pickups

No score for this post
July 2 2011, 5:25 PM 

Can someone tell me what is the name and year of this set? 8-card panel

[linked image]

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login JapaneseMenko)

No score for this post
July 2 2011, 7:32 PM 

These are Japanese menko cards from the mid to late 50s. It was common for these Western themed cards to be issued in strips. I have a sumo set from 1956 in this style. Made by the Mitsuwa Gangu Company. It is uncataloged and the names on the front of the menko read "red face""outlaw""Winchester" etc. Just generic names. There are dozens of menko sets from the 1950s and 1960s with western themes. I have other sets and would like to catalog these western themed menko someday like I have with sumo menko.

This message has been edited by JapaneseMenko on Jul 2, 2011 7:38 PM

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

little this and that

No score for this post
July 3 2011, 12:10 AM 

Jon, the Stickshift PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD card haunts me. My friends older brother had 1 of these Hemi, Lime Green under a tarp in front yard for years. He offered to sell it to me for $2000.00 in 1980. DOINK! Now I watch barret jackson as my 2K dream has now mushroomed into a 175,000 dream! (sigh)

Just some assorted stuff I don't need:
Family..My Great Grandma (indian)school pic just uncovered. Couple and man with gun sewn together..family
You know you are a redneck if...(pssft!)
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
some trade and cereal etc...
Finally a rather unsettling trade card...scroll down for further "developments"

GregG
(Login GGterps)

S42 silks and Henry albums

No score for this post
July 3 2011, 8:39 AM 

I posted a couple of these a week or two ago asking for ID help. I received an email from a VERY knowledgable collector who thinks they may be S42 Silks. Here are the others:

[linked image][linked image]
[linked image]

First and Second Series Henry Albums with cards

[linked image][linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by GGterps on Jul 3, 2011 10:13 AM

Alan Winslow
(Login lazze2)

July pickups

No score for this post
July 3 2011, 10:04 AM 

Thanks (login-JapaneseMenko) for the information on these cards
Thanks again for your quick reply.

Anonymous
(Login flubadub)

No score for this post
July 3 2011, 11:56 AM 

The Cuda,GTX and Superbird take me back to the mid 60's when on Friday nite everyone would go to BoB's Big Boy and all kinds of these great cars would circle around the resturant "showing off". My question is, there used to be a car like the Superbird but we called it a Superbee. Was there a different car with that name or are they one in the same?

jim
(Login ctyankkee)

No score for this post
July 3 2011, 12:24 PM 

The Super Bee was the Dodge version of the Plymouth Road Runner.

Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

No score for this post
July 3 2011, 12:48 PM 

Flubadub - the Dodge version of the Plymouth Super Bird was the Daytona. Same wing, same front end piece. Basically, both were produced for the NASCAR wars, but NASCAR outlawed them after a single season.

Glad to see the interest in the muscle car cards. The Stickshift set is probably the most difficult of all U.S. produced car sets (even more difficult than the ATC Auto Drivers and Automobiles). I just happened to be at the right spot at the right time.

Jon.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

A couple".....

Score 5.0 (1 person)
July 3 2011, 9:42 PM 

I rarely do the antique mall thing anymore but had last Friday off and decided to strike out. Hit a couple different malls and landed these two A32 Dukes plates. The A32 'album' is actually a folio with ten plates like these. They are 5x8 inch cabinet type photos of sporting girls and very tough to find.....best of all I was able to snare them for a very reasonable amount.....

[linked image] [linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

July pickups

No score for this post
July 5 2011, 5:09 PM 

My new favorite wrapper. I think this is from 1938. Can anyone confirm or propose a different date? Thanks - Jack J.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
July 5 2011, 6:34 PM 

Jack, pretty sweet!

Claude Emond
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
July 5 2011, 6:36 PM 

Freakin nice wrapper Jack, in my database I have 1936 for the date but I do not know where I got it from.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Battleship Gum

No score for this post
July 5 2011, 6:44 PM 

I've been really lucky lately on the wrappers. Like you, Claude, I've got a date in my data base I can't document. I've also seen the 1936. Where is the Patent info when you need it? Thanks for your comments.

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

R20

No score for this post
July 5 2011, 8:54 PM 

I think 1936 is what I remember and found it in one of my "benji" guides. I collected these for a time early 2000's...Got some "minty" ones from a family that discovered a big stack of these from relative ...listed wrong...then listed right...then solicitations from them after they found out what they were really worth...then they got NARUed off ebay...got contacted again and again by guy in family who wanted to trade for old fishing equip? Anyhoo, wanted cash upfront after that and then said they would be in my "area" would I want to meet and buy what they had left...eh, um...NO!
Never heard from them again after that.
I think this is the only issue from NEWPORT PRODUCTS...Could be wrong.

All I know folks.

Neat Wrapper for sure JJ
CR

"Showin the love since 1964"

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

July pickups

No score for this post
July 6 2011, 12:26 AM 

Charley - I think I bought some cards from those same guys too. I questioned how I just "bought it now" on six Battleship cards and they were immediately listed on Ebay again. Here's the reply I got from the seller.

"Dear Jack, It's a long story ! My dad and his best friend mike worked for the Newport card gum company in Rhode Island.
Well dad and mike got drafted and got sent to the Pearl Habor airbase at Hickam field.
my dad was awarded the Bronze star for savivg a fire fighters life with his army belt after his leg was blow off.
My dad and mike watched this massive attack when the Japanese bombed Pearl Habor.
Jack, i also have a best friend named Mike Jr. whom i served with in the U.S.Navy diving demo team.
Well Mike Jr. is the son of my fathers best friend who he served with in Pearl Habor. Mike and his family come to my home and spend the Christmas and new year holiday with me and my family.
We have been celebrating the holidays together for the past 16 years after we both discharged from the U.S. naval diving unit.
Mike and i only sell these cards during the Christmas holiday in memory of our fathers and the men and women who died fighting for this once great nation. Sincerely,JC"

As you can see, there was a lot more about family history than about the cards. I wrote back and asked for any more info on the Newport Products company and if he had any documentation from the past. I tried to play to his ego, mentioning all the folks on the web that would love to know more. I never got a reply. I've seen the same cards listed a couple of times since then. I guess they have a stash of some cards and break them out whenever they need a little cash. I've got about half the set and would love to have more. -Jack J.

AllenMc
(Login allenmc)

Excellent back-story!

No score for this post
July 6 2011, 9:00 AM 

Jack,

It's the story behind the cards and wrappers which I find the most fun about the hobby. The back story you shared, and the history of why a collector collects an individual item, is what makes the hobby so intriguing and addictively fun. I enjoyed reading your post. I'll probably re-read it again tonight and tomorrow.

"...Got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues, and you know it don't come easy...." Ringo Starr

And it's all worthwhile - allen mc

This message has been edited by allenmc on Jul 6, 2011 9:00 AM

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

My Latest Collecting Detour

No score for this post
July 7 2011, 7:02 AM 

Actually, this seems like the main focus nowadays...

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index