Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Old Ad For "The Wrapper"

July 24 2011 at 11:49 AM
No score for this post

Pete D'Luhosch  (Login dluhop)

I came across this ad in an issue of "Baseball Cards" magazine from 1985. The centerpiece of the ad shows a box of World War II Bubble Gum cards. Was there such a thing?

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
jim
(Login ctyankkee)

Re: Old Ad For "The Wrapper"

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 11:59 AM 

1960's Phila Chewing Gum

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Claude Emond
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 12:28 PM 

To add to Jim's answer it is the box of the set known as War Bulletin.

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 6:27 PM 

There's something about Topps and war oriented gum series, they always seem to be named one thing on the box, and then renamed another by collectors (because of the title on the backs). World War II bubble gum became War Bulletin, and the Civil War cards became Civil War News.
The biggest name change was Creature Feature getting renamed "You'll Die Laughing".

Good ad though. I love the "Department BC" part of the address. Back then, the Wrapper was a giant skyscraper owned by the Davis consortium and all devoted to Non-sports. I think the BC Department was floor #12, although that might have been the CCD (Card Collector Digest) Department. I remember the SA (Sports Americana) Department was floor #13, but when I went to actually meet Chris Benjamin, there was no floor #13 listed on the elevator. It turned out they skipped it for superstitious reasons, and the SA Department was actually hidden on floor 14! (Even back then Benjamin didn't advertise where he was, so there was no mention of him on the company directory either.) So I made that long journey north for NOTHING!

Looking back, I should have stopped in to meet Les Davis, but back then, he was a nobody, long before his super celeb days. Yep, them's were the good ol' days; cards were cheap, circulation was way up, and you could just walk in and meet Les Davis without getting groped by his body guards and pre-screeners.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index