Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Early Fifties Topps 8 Card Ad Panels

February 22 2012 at 8:31 AM
No score for this post

Dave Hornish  (Login dsh46)

Curious if anyone has seen 8 card ad panels for either Look N See or Scoop? The other three sets with cards that have the same dimensions (Ringside, Magic Football, Fighting Marines) all are known with the box top art reproduced on the back of a 4x2 card array.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login willhc)

Topps

Score 5.0 (1 person)
February 22 2012, 5:50 PM 

Dave, I've seen the Ringside and two of the eight on the Fighting Marines but never heard or seen either Look n See or Scoop - that means both probably exist!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login AlanRM)

Ad Panels

No score for this post
February 22 2012, 10:02 PM 

I have no idea what these look like. Anyone have an example they can post?

Alan

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

Re: Early Fifties Topps 8 Card Ad Panels

No score for this post
February 23 2012, 9:36 AM 

Here is an example from 1951 Ringside. First, the regular box top art:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Next is the 8 card ad panel, arrayed 4 x 2:

On the back of that panel, there is this:

The ad back actually has a bit more detail to the left side than the box top, the box top has more to the right. Some of these have been cut up over the years and are known as puzzle backs. A similar ad back exists for 1951 Magic Football and 1952/53 Fighting Marines. Cut up cards from the latter are known that must have come from an ad panel.

I assume Look N See would have such an ad panel, not sure about Scoop which came a little later than the rest but is a good candidate. All five sets had cards that measure: 2 1/6" x 2 15/16". jest also measure that size but differ so much in appearance and time I don;t know if an ad panel would have been made.

I surmise these panels were not necessarily for salesmen; instead I think they could have been handed out at Confectioner's conventions, which Topps attended in spades, especially in the early years, although both uses are certainly possible.

This message has been edited by dsh46 on Feb 23, 2012 10:51 AM
This message has been edited by dsh46 on Feb 23, 2012 9:37 AM

(Login AlanRM)

Ad Panels

No score for this post
February 23 2012, 10:34 AM 

Cool. Thanks Dave. Anyone have the Fighting Marine one? I'd love to see it.

Alan

Current Topic - Early Fifties Topps 8 Card Ad Panels  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index