Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Lost N288 Buchner Farrier

March 13 2012 at 11:57 PM
No score for this post
robert a  (Login caramelcard)

Could you guys keep an eye out for this one?

I sold it on ebay and delivery confirmation said it was delivered to the buyer, but he never got it.

If you spot it please let me know.

Thanks!!

Rob

[linked image]

This message has been edited by caramelcard on Mar 14, 2012 12:02 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

Sick

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 10:45 AM 

Not like the kids use that term (wicked,Cool,Unbelievable)
No, Sick (physically ill,disgusted)
(sigh)

CR

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

cliff
(Login Marslife)

Bummer

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 12:24 PM 

thats a real bummer Rob, I feel for ya. Hope your luck turns for the better.

Cliff

Jay Miller
(Login Rockeythebulldog)

Re: Lost N288 Buchner Farrier

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 1:13 PM 

I am at least as disappointed as you. I can't believe I missed the auction. I need 8 cards to complete the N288 set and Farrier is one of them. If found, I will pay $750 for the card. Please email me if it is, and the buyer would consider selling it.

Thanks---Jay

Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 1:57 PM 

Robert,

I assume you had to refund the buyer. So you should still be the owner of the card if it ever turns up. It has some distinct markings like the line in the upper left corner and the line below '1st' so that even if it's cracked out of the slab you should be able to identify it.

I wonder if there is ever a Statute of Limitations for something like this (for the return of the card, not theft)? I know some WWII paintings are still being returned. Do you need to publicly announce that it's stolen? If so, is a post here considered a public announcement or does it have to be in a newspapaper?

robert a
(Login caramelcard)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 15 2012, 3:18 PM 

Well, thanks guys.

I sent out a large amount of packages that day and placed the wrong note on this one so there was no sig. confirmation/insurance. Meanwhile I insured a $24 card. Stupid.

Eric: Good question.

Thanks.

Rob

Jon taylor
(Login venturajt)

Don't give up.

No score for this post
March 16 2012, 3:57 PM 

I had one that I had given up on and it showed up 3 months later, so you never know.

Jay Miller
(Login Rockeythebulldog)

No score for this post
March 16 2012, 5:54 PM 

If the delivery confirm says the buyer got the package, how can you be sure he didn't? Have you asked the post office how a delivery confirm can say that the package was received when in fact the recipient claims it was not delivered? If I were you I would contact the post office of the recipient and ask to speak to the carrier who delivers mail to the buyer. He may remember the package. Perhaps he dropped it off at the wrong house. Perhaps the address on the package was incorrect. That would seem the best way to try to figure out what happened to the card.

Interestingly enough, the only Ebay card I have ever had lost by the post office was a unique N288 Gleason that was shipped to me by David Epps. The card made it to customs at Kennedy Airport in NY but never got out of there. This was over two years ago. Perhaps this set is cursed (or maybe the postal service is starting an N288 collection).

This message has been edited by Rockeythebulldog on Mar 20, 2012 12:35 AM

robert a
(Login caramelcard)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 16 2012, 6:09 PM 

Hi Jay,

"If the delivery confirm says the buyer got the package, how can you be sure he didn't?"

He told me he didn't receive it.

"Have you asked the post office how a delivery confirm can say that the package was received when in fact the recipient claims it was not delivered?"

I asked my PO (not his) and they said it might've been delivered incorrectly.

I'm almost positive I had the address correct on the package because I had it written correct on the Deliv Conf. paper and I copied that from the package. I still have that receipt.

Buyer thinks it may have been placed in the wrong box which has happened before to him. He left a note on his box for any neighbors that might have it.

Hopefully it shows up in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ADDED: Yes, the Postal workers are pretty far along on their N288 set! Good taste.

Rob

This message has been edited by caramelcard on Mar 16, 2012 6:11 PM

Richard L.
(Login nsaddict)

No score for this post
March 16 2012, 6:58 PM 

Robert,
Sorry to hear about this. If a neighbor did keep it (and a lowlife not to give it back)you might want to search craigslist in the Worcester area. Or perhaps they will search the internet for info and find this link knowing it has a 750 payday. Hope it turns up.

Jay,
I think you are mistaken about the Purroy, I sold you that card 2.5 years ago. Unless it is no longer unique??

Jay Miller
(Login Rockeythebulldog)

No score for this post
March 16 2012, 10:58 PM 

Sorry Richard-Wrong seller, but unfortunately the same result. My memory is not what it once was.

Lance F
(Login thecatspajamas)

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 12:46 AM 

Unfortunately, Delivery Confirmation is only that, confirmation that the package was delivered. It does not confirm that it was delivered to the correct address, or even whether the correct person at that address received the package. Probably 99.9% of the time the postman gets it to the right address, but sometimes not. And in those 0.1% of cases, there's really nothing that can be done except hope that whoever got it does the right thing.

I live on Huntington Parkway and have gotten mail and packages numerous for the same address on Huntington Ridge Drive about 1/2 mile away which I've forwarded or hand-delivered to them (interestingly, they never seem to have done the same for me). Same thing has happened before with UPS and Fed-Ex, though much more rarely. There's only so much human error that you can take out of the equation.

Rick McQuillan
(Login buymycards)

Lost DC

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 7:45 AM 

Hi, I work for the PO and we track these very closely. For instance, in my PO in February we had over 3700 delivery confirmation packages and our records show that only 7 were not scanned as delivered. Chances are they were delivered but the carrier didn't perform the scan.

Most of the time when a customer says that the package shows a delivery scan and the addressee didn't receive the item, when we follow up, we find that the package was delivered correctly. Usually, the wife or a kid brings in the mail that day and doesn't tell dad that there is a package. A couple of days later the package is found on the counter in a pile of papers, or in the kids room or in the recycling bin, or inside a sale flyer, , or it is on the front porch, or it is still sitting in the mailbox, etc.

I hope it turns up, because, as a Postmaster,(and a card collector), it really drives me crazy when packages aren't delivered correctly. I talk to my carriers at least twice a week about scanning and when a carrier misses a scan I have them come in my office and we discuss the circumstances that caused the mistake.

I hope it shows up soon! Rick

Jeff
(Login teza11)

New N288 eBay Posting of Farrier

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 6:17 PM 

Richard L.
(Login nsaddict)

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 7:10 PM 

Robert,
That seller is the one that won it. Hope you didn't refund? Please tell us he has paid?

robert a
(Login caramelcard)

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 7:11 PM 

Thanks Jeff,

It was found by the buyer today. Delivered by the PO to the wrong address.

Rob

robert a
(Login caramelcard)

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 7:12 PM 

I did refund him.

And, he's resending payment.

Rob

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Nice

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 18 2012, 7:27 PM 

Resolution....had a similar thing happen recentl and same result. Buyer was honest and emailed me and resent payment. The majority of people are honest....at least that's what I tell myself.....

Jay Miller
(Login Rockeythebulldog)

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 12:31 AM 

This is funny. Now the circle is complete-I bought the card from Peter (who I know for years).

Now if someone can just find the Gleason!

This message has been edited by Rockeythebulldog on Mar 20, 2012 12:36 AM

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

Nice

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 10:40 AM 

Glad to know it re-surfaced. Hate it when 1 of these old cardboard jewels vanish.

"Showin the love since 1965 "

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index