Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Topps Rails & Sails and UK edition

March 28 2012 at 2:48 PM
No score for this post

(Login hires48)

I posted the UK version of Topps Rails & Sails in the March pick-ups. There are 72 cards in the UK set and the only difference is where Rails & Sails has rolling stock Topps used UK locos. My question is with the UK being a big sea-power, why didn't Topps print the Sails part of the set in the UK? Or did they, and I don't know about it? Anyone's guess is better than mine and info would be apprreicated.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

Re: Topps Rails & Sails and UK edition

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 5:44 PM 

The art for the Sails cards may have been licensed and unavailable for reuse. By the by I've always thought it odd the Sails cards had full bleed borders and the Rails cards did not.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login hires48)

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 5:58 PM 

Yes Dave I always wondered about the border around the Rails cards too. I don't know anything about licensing, but since Topps did both the US and UK sets wouldn't they still have had the license? Also, why not use some different ships like they did with the locos?

I don't really figure anyone knows the answers to these questions, just things I thought about while I was scanning and cropping these cards.

(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 6:11 PM 

Jeff , just out of interest , are all of the Railway Quiz images used in Rails & Sails .

(Login hires48)

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 6:22 PM 

No Mark there are only 72 cards in the UK set and 20 of those are UK locos.

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 7:16 PM 

Topps may have licensed the Sails form one source and the Rails from another. It's possible the Sails were only licensed for North America. The Us and UK sets were released about four years apart too so it could have just been a time thing with the license too.

So many strange things with Topps, so little time....

Jeff O.
(Login hires48)

More Questions

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 3:19 PM 

Dave there are so many strange things with Topps..... Here's more questions.

Another question about the UK versions of Rails and Sails; has anyone seen a wrapper for the UK set? Does anyone have a scan they can post?

Why only 72 cards out of the 130 of the US set?

Any one have any guesses as to why Topps printed these and didn't license them to A&BC like other sets?

Current Topic - Topps Rails & Sails and UK edition  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index