Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

price guide

March 28 2012 at 3:16 PM
No score for this post
  (Login magiquarian)

Just started collecting vintage cards.what price guide would you recommend? Thanks all for help

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
robert
(Login caramelcard)

Re: price guide

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 4:05 PM 

Hi Mario,

I won't speak for everyone, but many don't use a price guide and just rely on current data from ebay or sales in different auctions/locations.

Welcome to vintage.

Rob

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login carbking)

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 7:37 PM 

(Opinion)

The prices in price guides are obsolete the day before the guide is printed. However, the guides are quite useful for other information, as in name and genre of set, number in set, pictures (check the gallery on this forum for GREAT pictures - thanks Dan), variations, short prints, etc. Many different guides have been printed that have this information. There are several threads on this forum with this information, if you will do a search.

But back on prices:

If you just inherited a group of older cards, try to determine what they are (members here are great with help), and then search Ebay for completed auctions. If by some quirk of fate you found some really rare stuff that is not on Ebay, post here for assistance.

If you are wanting to start collecting, again, check completed auctions on Ebay.

Unfortunately, Ebay is pretty much THE price guide now.

My opinion, others will differ.

Jon.

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

No score for this post
March 30 2012, 4:04 PM 

I don't think I would say eBay is a good price guide, because the prices jump around all over the place (based on how many people see the item, whether its a "buy it now" or not, and whether the person buying it knew anything about the going rate). To make the eBay "guide" work, one would had to average a bunch of prices together and usually they only show the last two weeks of sales (which isn't much help). Still, the general statement that price guides are not accurate very long is certainly spot on. But they are still very useful for the other reasons mentioned. The Nonsports Bible was one of the more recent and detailed priceguides.

Here's an article on different price guides overall by yours truly. Hope it helps:

http://thewrapper.tripod.com/priceguides.html

(Login MorrellMan)

Welcome to madness!

No score for this post
March 30 2012, 8:53 PM 

For REFERENCE only, in other words, set descriptions, ACC designations and other info, you should have the American Tobacco Cards Price Guide & Checklist by Robert Forbes and Terence Mitchell, which is the definitive reference for N and T non-sports. For R cards, you'll need the two volumes(hopefully the most recent)of the Sport Americana Price Guide(s)To The Non-Sports Cards by Christopher Benjamin and Dennis Eckes. These two volumes break gum cards up into 1930-1960 and 1961-Present. The versions I have were from the early '90s. I also keep on hand an older Benjamin and Eckes Sport Americana guide from about 10 years earlier as a source for a number of D, E & F cards. The guide was a single volume, but as more and more sets came out, the later issues didn't have room for the D, E & F cards. You can find these books all the time on ebay.

These are for reference only and every word in them is information regarding cards, who issued them, what's scarce, etc. Forget about any published prices. They bear NO semblance to reality. They only way to learn values is, as everyone says, research sales, specifically ebay, because it is so accessible and there is so much being traded there. But don't look at asking prices or BINs or starting bid levels. Better to look at the advance search under completed auctions or BINs. The green prices mean something; the red ones mean absolutely nothing.

Good luck. Make sure the sleeves on the straight jacket are velcro'd so you can get out once in a while....happy.gif

This message has been edited by MorrellMan on Mar 30, 2012 8:55 PM

(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
March 30 2012, 9:49 PM 

And if you are going outside of the USA card the Non-Sport Bible is a must have as well for reference, although there are tons of US cards in it there is also a very good sample of Canadian and UK cards.

(Login oldbubblegum)

Yeppers...Click the button

No score for this post
April 2 2012, 7:53 PM 

Hi Mario, Mark has given some good advice. I think if you will click the GALLERY button above to your right , then click on publications. You will see EVERYTHING that is available to you.
Can't go wrong with the Tan/brown "Benji" guide for starters. Was always my 'Go To" out of all of the Benjamin guides.
Just my opinion

"Showin the love since 1964 "

Current Topic - price guide  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index