Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Report from The National

August 3 2012 at 10:12 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
Alan R. Moon  (Login AlanRM)

I just got home from The National. I was there for about 7 hours on Wednesday, 9 hours yesterday, and about an hour this morning. This was my first National. I had wanted to go the last two years, but couldn't for one reason or another. So I don't have past experiences to compare this one too. Maybe others will chime in later and compare this year to previous years.

I was very excited on my way to Baltimore Wednesday morning. Dave Lemon called me from the show when I was still two hours out and that just added the final fuel to the flames. I had a Dealer Pass so I was able to go in before the official opening at 4pm, which was great because there were very few other buyers at that point. Many of the dealers were still setting up but they were more than happy to take a break to sell me cards.

I've been to the Toy Show in the Javits Center in NYC quite a few times and the Spiel Gamefest in Germany many times (the attendance is about 120,000 over four days there). Maybe it was unfair to expect that kind of show, but I was expecting The National to be as big. So I was surprised by the overall number of dealers. All the biggest booths were actually the Auction Houses like Heritage or dealers selling modern cards or closeouts. The number of collectors during the first actual public day yesterday was also surprising. The halls never felt the least bit crowded and it was always very easy to move around and get right up to the display cases at booths. The only booths I had any trouble at were several dealers who had tons of binders of raw cards, who had set up chairs outside their booths for people to sit in while looking through the binders.

The biggest surprise of all was the number of non-sports cards. I expected there to be lots more raw cards in particular, but unless I missed a whole bunch, there really weren't that many. There were almost no N cards and very few cards from the 30s and 40s. Every other booth seemed to have only shiny, modern cards.

The best part of the show for me was getting to meet Tom Boblitt, Henry Jones, Tom Ryan, Greg Galliger, and Adam Cohen, all super guys. I really enjoyed hanging out with them, as well as with Dave Lemon and Al DellaPosta. The hub for non-sports collectors was Marty Krim's booth. It doesn't have anything to do with Marty of course. He just happens to have a wonderful wife (Debbie) and daughter (Stephanie) who make the booth very welcoming and comfortable. Thanks Debbie and Stephanie!

I lived in Baltimore from 1979-1983. My apartment was about ten blocks north of the convention center and the harbor area, which was just being developed back then. Walking around yesterday, I couldn't believe how much the area has changed. It's a great place for a convention though, with at least three hotels connected by skywalks to the convention center, with a huge mall just two blocks away, and with dozens, if not hundreds, of restaurants within a few blocks. I moved to Syracuse from the Boston area about seven years ago. About the only thing I miss is my favorite restaurant Legal Sea Foods. So I was incredibly excited when I learned there was a Legals a block and a half from the convention center. Unfortunately, when I got there Thursday night, I learned it was no longer a Legals. The new restaurant is called Brio and the food was excellent, but I was still bummed. Plus, I can't imagine a Legal Sea Foods going out of business. What a world.

But I digress. Despite there being less non-sports cards than I expected, while I didn't find any of the 20 things I was most hoping to find, I did come back home with quite a haul.

These first three cards were graded at the show by Tom Boblitt. He was asking $200 for the three of them, which I thought was a little steep, but I can't resist gems like these.

[linked image]

Peter Lalos of Champsandbums finally got me to buy some of his Novelty Cards after all these years. The fiend.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Despite any logic or common sense, I spent the most money at Marty Krim's booth. The shame, the shame.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Anyone have a number for this Novel set (called Dare Devil Stories)?

[linked image]

I bought all of Marty's R127 cards. I'm still missing #s 505, 509, and 516. Anyone want to trade for some of my dupes? I'll put an ad in the BST with my lists.

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

This card completes my R130 set.

[linked image]

And finally this gem.

[linked image]

Got these at various other places.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

My first Dude!

[linked image]

I'd heard about the binders of Bob Marcy of Scottsdale Cards for years. So I had an awesome time going through a lot of them yesterday, where I got all of the cards below. Bob also has a wonderful wife Jeanette (I hope I spelled her name correctly) who was another hostess with the mostess. Her peanut butter cookies are wonderful.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I'm going to need Tom Boblitt's help to figure out which E sets some of these cards are from, since I forgot to write that important info down when I was buying them. Doh.

While I was looking through the binders, Bob was buying cards from a guy who was sitting in the booth. At one point, Bob bought a card from the guy and turned around and offered it to me. Talk about your quick sell-through! I'm hoping this will be a PSA 8 or maybe even a 9.

[linked image]

Last, but far from least, I picked up a wonderful copy of one of my 20 favorite non-sports cards.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:56 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Richard L.
(Login nsaddict)

Re: Report from The National

No score for this post
August 3 2012, 10:43 PM 

Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to post your National experience. I've never been, but hope to someday. Some great cards added to your collection!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

mr moses
(Login 1880nonsports)

Just returned from the national

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 3:25 AM 

and I just want to say that Alan is just a super guy and with all the guys I met I had the best time at any national. I'm unsure if I'll be doing my usual stream of consiousness report. For now I'll just share a muse about Alan's consumption of Mrs. Marcy's peanut butter cookie confusers. By his own admission within minutes of eating them he couldn't even remember the card designations and had been adroitly seperated from his money. Same thing happened to me the year before last, only besides my money I couldn't find my right sock - I KNOW I had it on when I went into their booth. Our fearless leader Tom appeared to have succumbed to the same fate - I saw him sitting dazed in a dirty grey chair at Marty's booth muttering almost incoherently about bridge favors and school costs. I'm pretty sure Marty Krim is in on it with the Marcys, although he pretends to "know nothing" and his movie star wife Debbie always backs him up - even though each and every kookie cookie victim was found within 25 feet of his bargain box.
Now that I think about it - as it's in my mission statement to search for the "truth" - and despite hte protest's over my ramblings from the last two/three nationals - I'm going to once again strip away the mistique surroundiing this year's "National" and lay bare it's raw underbelly - but first I sleep...........

edited to make an actual paragraph which should silence the irrepressible Mr. Finn - another very nice guy I met for the first time a second time happy.gif.

This message has been edited by 1880nonsports on Aug 4, 2012 4:13 AM

M@rk Flnn
(Login Mark_Finn)

"Round up the usual suspects"

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 7:56 AM 

[linked image]

Dan C
(Login DanCalandriello)

what a teaser !

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 8:06 AM 

ok, Mark, I'll bite !

I know Marty Krim and Tom Boblitt....but

who is the Auburn fellow
and
who is the tall fellow, black shirt ?

This message has been edited by DanCalandriello on Aug 4, 2012 12:00 PM

Dan C
(Login DanCalandriello)

heck of a showing, Alan !

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 8:07 AM 

nice pickups, Alan....

always nice to see the quality items you share.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

The National

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 11:50 AM 

Being a left coast guy, I've never been to the National and really enjoy the reports from those of you either close enough, or dedicated enough to go. Henry, your ramblings are informative and entertaining, although I admit I don't always get it all. Alan and Mark, thanks for the photos. These help us all see what it is really like. I only wish I could join you guys. I feel I know many of you although we haven't met face to face.

Please keep the reports and PHOTOS coming so we can all enjoy the NS experience. Thanks - Jack J.

UK Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 3:43 PM 

Many thanks to Alan ,Henry & Mr Finn for their Nat'l report , scans and pictures . Top class .

Each year I read the reports and see the pictures from the event and leave the PC with a degree of envy and jealousy but not this year .

Events have conspired to keep me away from Mr Pinkys Hefty Hideaway and any of cards on display in the main hall and I have none of the regrets that usually haunt me from missing the event in the past years .

I'm so glad as I had a wonderful weekend in Cardiff UK .

happy.gif

Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 6:49 PM 

The "National" reports are greatly appreciated!

About a hundred years ago, the National was held in St. Louis, and I was able to attend. It was my first and only National. Had a wonderful time, and found many items to acquire.

Until the organizers see fit to visit a city closer to me (St. Louis or Kansas City would be wonderful), Ebay vendors are going to get my business.

Keep the reports coming, PLEASE!

Jon.

Anonymous
(Login wdmullins)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 9:27 PM 

Alan -- can you provide any more info on the Space/Science Experiments card? Is there an issuer on the back? Never seen that one before . ..

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 9:28 PM 

That space card is from Burry's cookies.

marty's wife
(Login martyswife)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 9:43 PM 

Thanks to Henry (I'm thinking you'll like that you got mentioned first), Alan (still playing ticket to ride, app successfully downloaded), Tom B, Dave, and especially Marty...the National was full of laughs. And yes, I also dipped into the Marcy's peanut butter cookies and had the most amazing Maryland crab cake thanks to Paul. Life is good.
[linked image]

Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

Space/Science Card

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 11:01 PM 

The back is blank. The card is the same card from the Tip Top Space set though. Marty Krim had at least one more card (different card) from the set for sale when I left.

Alan

This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 4, 2012 11:01 PM

jerry bannister
(Login jbnonsport)

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 9:04 AM 

Thanks Alan and all others for reports and pictures from the National. I have yet to make it to one, from the looks of it I would probably be taking a second mortgage out on the house by the time I left anyway. Hopefully one of these years, I will make it there. Looks like Martys table was the place to be, how come no pictures of Martys Hollywood wife??

Scott
(Login Ncard)

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 9:28 AM 

Henry why no pictures of Glen? Or Glen's table? Btw, you look much better than the last time I saw you..... Must be the air north of south Florida!

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Some people.....

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 5 2012, 10:40 PM 

Henry Moses, Eric Beachley and Mark Finn
[linked image]

Marty Krim
[linked image]

Marty and Debbie Krim
[linked image]

Dave Lemon
[linked image]

Alan Moon
[linked image]

Marty and Alan
[linked image]

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

And, making an appearance......

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 10:43 PM 

(7) of the Heinz premium photos, only missing Lindbergh......
Price tag......$10,000 for the four planes and $6,000 for the three aviators......

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Some of my pickups.......

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 10:54 PM 

More verbiage morrow but here are some pickups.....

1930's R stuff
[linked image]

Pirates including a nice #=9
[linked image]

Some T stuff......finiished a couple sets here....
[linked image]

19th century big cards for sets
[linked image]

More small 19th century cards toward sets
[linked image]

Mayo cards
[linked image]

Tough Yum Yum
[linked image]

Tough Types for the type collection
[linked image]

Beautiful Film Funnies lot
[linked image]

20/25 clean T38 Aviators
[linked image]

Great lot of R75 towards my set
[linked image]

Complete set of Post F278-50 with Mathewson
[linked image]

Mark
(Login MorrellMan)

D117?

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 11:39 PM 

Are these Webers or Gridley's? My ACC doesn't list a D117, but I am an avid collector of those two sets, and my heart aches that (a) I wasn't at the Nat'l and (b) I didn't have a chance to pick those cards up.

Senor Marcy is a prince among royalty when it comes to his NS stuff. Great pickups all around.

edited for grammar

This message has been edited by MorrellMan on Aug 5, 2012 11:39 PM

Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 6:02 AM 

Tom ,thanks for the photos .

This message has been edited by TheNewtonian on Aug 6, 2012 6:03 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index