Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Report from The National

August 3 2012 at 10:12 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
  (Login AlanRM)

I just got home from The National. I was there for about 7 hours on Wednesday, 9 hours yesterday, and about an hour this morning. This was my first National. I had wanted to go the last two years, but couldn't for one reason or another. So I don't have past experiences to compare this one too. Maybe others will chime in later and compare this year to previous years.

I was very excited on my way to Baltimore Wednesday morning. Dave Lemon called me from the show when I was still two hours out and that just added the final fuel to the flames. I had a Dealer Pass so I was able to go in before the official opening at 4pm, which was great because there were very few other buyers at that point. Many of the dealers were still setting up but they were more than happy to take a break to sell me cards.

I've been to the Toy Show in the Javits Center in NYC quite a few times and the Spiel Gamefest in Germany many times (the attendance is about 120,000 over four days there). Maybe it was unfair to expect that kind of show, but I was expecting The National to be as big. So I was surprised by the overall number of dealers. All the biggest booths were actually the Auction Houses like Heritage or dealers selling modern cards or closeouts. The number of collectors during the first actual public day yesterday was also surprising. The halls never felt the least bit crowded and it was always very easy to move around and get right up to the display cases at booths. The only booths I had any trouble at were several dealers who had tons of binders of raw cards, who had set up chairs outside their booths for people to sit in while looking through the binders.

The biggest surprise of all was the number of non-sports cards. I expected there to be lots more raw cards in particular, but unless I missed a whole bunch, there really weren't that many. There were almost no N cards and very few cards from the 30s and 40s. Every other booth seemed to have only shiny, modern cards.

The best part of the show for me was getting to meet Tom Boblitt, Henry Jones, Tom Ryan, Greg Galliger, and Adam Cohen, all super guys. I really enjoyed hanging out with them, as well as with Dave Lemon and Al DellaPosta. The hub for non-sports collectors was Marty Krim's booth. It doesn't have anything to do with Marty of course. He just happens to have a wonderful wife (Debbie) and daughter (Stephanie) who make the booth very welcoming and comfortable. Thanks Debbie and Stephanie!

I lived in Baltimore from 1979-1983. My apartment was about ten blocks north of the convention center and the harbor area, which was just being developed back then. Walking around yesterday, I couldn't believe how much the area has changed. It's a great place for a convention though, with at least three hotels connected by skywalks to the convention center, with a huge mall just two blocks away, and with dozens, if not hundreds, of restaurants within a few blocks. I moved to Syracuse from the Boston area about seven years ago. About the only thing I miss is my favorite restaurant Legal Sea Foods. So I was incredibly excited when I learned there was a Legals a block and a half from the convention center. Unfortunately, when I got there Thursday night, I learned it was no longer a Legals. The new restaurant is called Brio and the food was excellent, but I was still bummed. Plus, I can't imagine a Legal Sea Foods going out of business. What a world.

But I digress. Despite there being less non-sports cards than I expected, while I didn't find any of the 20 things I was most hoping to find, I did come back home with quite a haul.

These first three cards were graded at the show by Tom Boblitt. He was asking $200 for the three of them, which I thought was a little steep, but I can't resist gems like these.

[linked image]

Peter Lalos of Champsandbums finally got me to buy some of his Novelty Cards after all these years. The fiend.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Despite any logic or common sense, I spent the most money at Marty Krim's booth. The shame, the shame.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Anyone have a number for this Novel set (called Dare Devil Stories)?

[linked image]

I bought all of Marty's R127 cards. I'm still missing #s 505, 509, and 516. Anyone want to trade for some of my dupes? I'll put an ad in the BST with my lists.

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

This card completes my R130 set.

[linked image]

And finally this gem.

[linked image]

Got these at various other places.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

My first Dude!

[linked image]

I'd heard about the binders of Bob Marcy of Scottsdale Cards for years. So I had an awesome time going through a lot of them yesterday, where I got all of the cards below. Bob also has a wonderful wife Jeanette (I hope I spelled her name correctly) who was another hostess with the mostess. Her peanut butter cookies are wonderful.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I'm going to need Tom Boblitt's help to figure out which E sets some of these cards are from, since I forgot to write that important info down when I was buying them. Doh.

While I was looking through the binders, Bob was buying cards from a guy who was sitting in the booth. At one point, Bob bought a card from the guy and turned around and offered it to me. Talk about your quick sell-through! I'm hoping this will be a PSA 8 or maybe even a 9.

[linked image]

Last, but far from least, I picked up a wonderful copy of one of my 20 favorite non-sports cards.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:56 PM
This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:55 PM
This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:54 PM
This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:32 PM
This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:20 PM
This message has been edited by AlanRM on Aug 3, 2012 10:15 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login nsaddict)

Re: Report from The National

No score for this post
August 3 2012, 10:43 PM 

Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to post your National experience. I've never been, but hope to someday. Some great cards added to your collection!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

mr moses
(Login 1880nonsports)

Just returned from the national

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 3:25 AM 

and I just want to say that Alan is just a super guy and with all the guys I met I had the best time at any national. I'm unsure if I'll be doing my usual stream of consiousness report. For now I'll just share a muse about Alan's consumption of Mrs. Marcy's peanut butter cookie confusers. By his own admission within minutes of eating them he couldn't even remember the card designations and had been adroitly seperated from his money. Same thing happened to me the year before last, only besides my money I couldn't find my right sock - I KNOW I had it on when I went into their booth. Our fearless leader Tom appeared to have succumbed to the same fate - I saw him sitting dazed in a dirty grey chair at Marty's booth muttering almost incoherently about bridge favors and school costs. I'm pretty sure Marty Krim is in on it with the Marcys, although he pretends to "know nothing" and his movie star wife Debbie always backs him up - even though each and every kookie cookie victim was found within 25 feet of his bargain box.
Now that I think about it - as it's in my mission statement to search for the "truth" - and despite hte protest's over my ramblings from the last two/three nationals - I'm going to once again strip away the mistique surroundiing this year's "National" and lay bare it's raw underbelly - but first I sleep...........

edited to make an actual paragraph which should silence the irrepressible Mr. Finn - another very nice guy I met for the first time a second time happy.gif.

M@rk Flnn
(Login Mark_Finn)

"Round up the usual suspects"

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 7:56 AM 

[linked image]

(Login DanCalandriello)

what a teaser !

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 8:06 AM 

ok, Mark, I'll bite !

I know Marty Krim and Tom Boblitt....but

who is the Auburn fellow
and
who is the tall fellow, black shirt ?

(Login DanCalandriello)

heck of a showing, Alan !

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 8:07 AM 

nice pickups, Alan....

always nice to see the quality items you share.

(Login fallbrookjack)

The National

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 11:50 AM 

Being a left coast guy, I've never been to the National and really enjoy the reports from those of you either close enough, or dedicated enough to go. Henry, your ramblings are informative and entertaining, although I admit I don't always get it all. Alan and Mark, thanks for the photos. These help us all see what it is really like. I only wish I could join you guys. I feel I know many of you although we haven't met face to face.

Please keep the reports and PHOTOS coming so we can all enjoy the NS experience. Thanks - Jack J.

(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 3:43 PM 

Many thanks to Alan ,Henry & Mr Finn for their Nat'l report , scans and pictures . Top class .

Each year I read the reports and see the pictures from the event and leave the PC with a degree of envy and jealousy but not this year .

Events have conspired to keep me away from Mr Pinkys Hefty Hideaway and any of cards on display in the main hall and I have none of the regrets that usually haunt me from missing the event in the past years .

I'm so glad as I had a wonderful weekend in Cardiff UK .

happy.gif

(Login carbking)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 6:49 PM 

The "National" reports are greatly appreciated!

About a hundred years ago, the National was held in St. Louis, and I was able to attend. It was my first and only National. Had a wonderful time, and found many items to acquire.

Until the organizers see fit to visit a city closer to me (St. Louis or Kansas City would be wonderful), Ebay vendors are going to get my business.

Keep the reports coming, PLEASE!

Jon.

(Login wdmullins)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 9:27 PM 

Alan -- can you provide any more info on the Space/Science Experiments card? Is there an issuer on the back? Never seen that one before . ..

(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 9:28 PM 

That space card is from Burry's cookies.

marty's wife
(Login martyswife)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 9:43 PM 

Thanks to Henry (I'm thinking you'll like that you got mentioned first), Alan (still playing ticket to ride, app successfully downloaded), Tom B, Dave, and especially Marty...the National was full of laughs. And yes, I also dipped into the Marcy's peanut butter cookies and had the most amazing Maryland crab cake thanks to Paul. Life is good.
[linked image]

(Login AlanRM)

Space/Science Card

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 11:01 PM 

The back is blank. The card is the same card from the Tip Top Space set though. Marty Krim had at least one more card (different card) from the set for sale when I left.

Alan

(Login jbnonsport)

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 9:04 AM 

Thanks Alan and all others for reports and pictures from the National. I have yet to make it to one, from the looks of it I would probably be taking a second mortgage out on the house by the time I left anyway. Hopefully one of these years, I will make it there. Looks like Martys table was the place to be, how come no pictures of Martys Hollywood wife??

(Login Ncard)

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 9:28 AM 

Henry why no pictures of Glen? Or Glen's table? Btw, you look much better than the last time I saw you..... Must be the air north of south Florida!

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Some people.....

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 5 2012, 10:40 PM 

Henry Moses, Eric Beachley and Mark Finn
[linked image]

Marty Krim
[linked image]

Marty and Debbie Krim
[linked image]

Dave Lemon
[linked image]

Alan Moon
[linked image]

Marty and Alan
[linked image]

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

And, making an appearance......

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 10:43 PM 

(7) of the Heinz premium photos, only missing Lindbergh......
Price tag......$10,000 for the four planes and $6,000 for the three aviators......

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Some of my pickups.......

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 10:54 PM 

More verbiage morrow but here are some pickups.....

1930's R stuff
[linked image]

Pirates including a nice #=9
[linked image]

Some T stuff......finiished a couple sets here....
[linked image]

19th century big cards for sets
[linked image]

More small 19th century cards toward sets
[linked image]

Mayo cards
[linked image]

Tough Yum Yum
[linked image]

Tough Types for the type collection
[linked image]

Beautiful Film Funnies lot
[linked image]

20/25 clean T38 Aviators
[linked image]

Great lot of R75 towards my set
[linked image]

Complete set of Post F278-50 with Mathewson
[linked image]

(Login MorrellMan)

D117?

No score for this post
August 5 2012, 11:39 PM 

Are these Webers or Gridley's? My ACC doesn't list a D117, but I am an avid collector of those two sets, and my heart aches that (a) I wasn't at the Nat'l and (b) I didn't have a chance to pick those cards up.

Senor Marcy is a prince among royalty when it comes to his NS stuff. Great pickups all around.

edited for grammar

Mark
(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 6:02 AM 

Tom ,thanks for the photos .

Chuck Ross
(Login ChuckRoss)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 7:26 AM 

Hey Tom, who had the Heinz premiums? Those are the first ones I've seen other than mine.

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Some notes...............

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 8:20 AM 

First Chuck........the guy that had the premiums was named David Bell. He had bought out some advertising agency or something and they were part of the stock. After some research here at this site, he figured out what he had. Think they were priced a little high but he'd seen a single one that sold at Leland's for $2500 or so, so he thought the prices were on. Very nice guy. He talked like he might put them in an upcoming auction at one of the large auction houses......

As to the show........

Nonsports cards were slim pickins as usual.....Bob Marcy and Marty Krim represented the bulk of the dealers with only nonsports. Most of the items I bought above were from one of the two of them. I also bought quite a few Colgan's chips baseball cards as I'm working on that set (again).

Got to meet a bunch of folks I hadn't met before including those pictured above....Alan Moon, Eric Beachley, Mark Finn, Dave Hornish, Tom Ryan, Dave Lemon, Cliff, Henry Moses, Bob Marcy, Glenn Mechanic and many many more that I can't think of offhand.

Lots of neat stuff to see at the show including all the cards from the baseball side....the Black Swamp find.....if you know baseball cards, there were 700+ near pristine E97 cards graded by PSA in stacks in their booth. They looked fake there were so many of them. A near set of 27, a PSA10 Honus Wagner and a group of (9) background variations sold for $566,000 on Thursday night at the Heritage auction. Great publicity on that find for the hobby in general....

As for PSA, dropped 15 cards off for grading on Wednesday morning and got 'em back on Thursday evening. Very happy with the grades. Got the three pictured in Alan's post for which I HOPE he's sending a much larger check than the $200 he was joking about! The E49 Crockett is the highest graded in that set I believe by 1.5 grades. The others are up high in the pop reports. They were SWAMPED the whole time we were there.

Baltimore is a good spot for the show.....fly in, light rail to the Inner Harbor and not have to rent a car. Tons of good seafood and night spots and fly out! Next year in Chicago which is also always a great spot.........

M@rk Flnn
(Login Mark_Finn)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 9:45 AM 

Maybe I should have posted this in the August "Pick-up" thread....

Allen (McHenry) came up to Baltimore for his first National, looking for many things, including meeting up with NET54 members, Heinz cards, etc. I gave him a tour of the town, ate & drank (a lot), and let him loose at the show:

[linked image]

Hopefully the show exceeded his expectations.

(Login Marslife)

REPORT FROM THE NATIONAL

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 9:48 AM 

I had a great time, this was my first national and it was everything I expected. With so many tables it was hard to hone in on my dealers of interest. I was there with two goals, meet my internet trading partner Marty as I had more cards to trade with him. It was great to finally meet in person and swap a few cards and swap a few stories. Added bonus I got to meet Tom another great trading partner!! Nice to meet you guys!!!

The second goal was to find my last T201 Mecca double folder... and not to spend any cash, do a straight up trade (Mathewson & Speaker for the Cobb I needed). It took most of the day but finally found a dealer to do the straight swap. Of course I got a lower grade card but I now have 100% set! I dropped it off at SGC for grading, I anticipate it will come back as and SGC 10 but will be a nice addition to my set (currently #5 on the SGC registry - Franklin Folders T201).

Filled a couple nonsports holes in my T68 set, thanks for Marty and had an overall GREAT time. Location was nice, walkway from the hotel. Food was very good. I am now hooked and am planning to head to Chicago next year and try and do more card swaps.

Me (Cliff Franklin) with my trading partner Marty
[linked image]

Meeting Tom as well!
[linked image]

My card pickup T201 Cobb
[linked image]

Inner Harbor USS Constellation
[linked image]

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

There seems..........

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 11:51 AM 

to be a common thread in many of Allen's photos.........and I'm okay with it.......

Allen Mc
(Login allenmc)

The National was an Amazing Experience

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 2:35 PM 

The National was Amazing.

This was my first National, and the first time I'd stayed in Baltimore. I was extremely fortunate to have a city-guide who worked only for food and beer (not in that order). Mark Finn was the best tour guide ever, showing me around the city of Baltimore and also taking me to lunch in Annapolis (sight of the Naval Academy). Fantastic sights and darn-tasty food.

I was also fortunate to meet up with Allan Heaslip (son of William J. Heaslip). Very very hospitable and enlightening fellow. Meeting Mr. Heaslip and discussing his father's Legacy was truly an enjoyable experience I won't ever forget. I snapped a few pix of William's drawings (he was a darn good science fiction artist too).

Mark Finn introduced me to some of the Boys, which included the enigmatic and charming Marty Krim. I also met Mr. Moses, Tom B, Charley R, and Dave L.... all very nice. I can't leave out meeting Marty's daughter, Steph, who was a hoot to chat with.

While Mr. Finn and I were out seeing the city, I took a few pix of Baltimore and the surrounding area... Mr. Finn captured the photos that depict me enjoying the sights and sounds of Baltimore shown here. These photos are lo-quality, as they are taken with my blackberry phone, but you should be able to get the impression what a wonderful city Baltimore is.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

...and for the boys across the pond, one more....

[linked image]

It was quite a trip, and thankfully, the wife doesn't collect cards too...

allen

p.s. I have concluded Mr. Finn should be awarded Icon-status for his research and collecting efforts within the NS community....plus, he bought the beer...which makes him a cool guy

(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 3:17 PM 

Welcome home one and all! The best part of the show for me was meeting up for the first time with collectors who I've known online and through mail order deals for years. I never laugh as much as I do at the National during the other 51 weeks of the year.

In terms of NS purchases, just a few. I got a couple of tough strip cards from a set I've been working for years and alot of boxing movie memorabilia, which is on the cusp between sport and nonsport I guess. Rescued this 1930s Fred Astaire still from a junk box too:

[linked image]

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Anonymous
(Login Steve_NY)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 4:32 PM 

Interesting.

All of my showcases were split between non sports and sports. I just don't depend on one type of item to bring in sales. I had an entire 2 tables of non sports and sports boxes, opened and unopened, inclduing full boxes of 3 Stooges, 3 different Beatles boxes unopened including the AB&C box, unopened Monkees boxes, Untouchables 2/3rds full, many other full boxes, etc. I had 5 books of wrappers that sold nicely.

I probably sold 10-15 mint non sports card sets or more to baseball card dealers, including a mint Lost in Space set.

Yet no mention above.

That's okay -- Hugh Jones knew where to find some of the rarest cards. I was always #2 on his list at the National.

Overall, at this National my overall sales were almost eveny split between sports and non sports.

But while not mentioned above, after 30 Nationals in attendance, this was my 2nd best National in terms of sales. So, I guess the irght people did find me!

In terms of stock, I probably had the largest amount of non sports cards at the show; I estimate that I only get out in showcases about 2% of what I have behind the table for customers. Yet very little in the way of graded cards. I don't do enough shows to make that worthwhile for me.

You just have to ask.

By the way, I also had 2 large sales today to sports card collectors who couldn't make the show.

Life is good.

I'll be at the East Coast National in White Plains in 2 weeks. BUT you have to ask for what I have under the table; I just can't get that much out in 7 showcases.

Steve Sabow
Synamictwo@aol.com

(Login AlanRM)

D117s

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 8:16 PM 

Mark, here are the backs.

[linked image]

(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
August 6 2012, 8:27 PM 

Don't feel neglected, Steve, we all know where to find you. Thanks for the strip cards!

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

(Login Ncard)

No score for this post
August 7 2012, 5:30 PM 

Ok so who photo shopped those pictures of Henry?he looks too good......

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
August 7 2012, 7:24 PM 

Still Waiting on your take Mr. Moses.

Here you will see images of the national that should give you an idea of the general layout, theme,venue/ city,items of interest to the SPORTS folks and of course the "Swamp Find" that had been talked about non stop by the media leading up to the first auction of said find...pretty neat.

http://youtu.be/nde6bjMY9K0

I have my own take of the National...Film at 11:00

CR

(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
August 8 2012, 1:22 AM 

My first Impression was much like Alan's... I really expected a bigger area and more non sports . Yes, the ease of getting around the show was nice and dealers,friends..for the most part were pretty easy to deal with.. I did have a dealer throw a 5 dollar bill back at me (THANK YOU STEVE) after I had made a purchase because I uttered the unthinkable " ya got me! " comment. A comment I have repeated since a child , meaning " I'm In" ,"Ok, deal", " I was thinking of walking from the product or service...but you gots what I need, I gots the cash..you're here now...lets do this thing"
I had to explain to the gentleman it was in no way a "slam" to which he replied " Well, I don't want you to think I'm gouging you" We shook hands and I was on my way with a small stack of cards.Neat.

I also encountered something that has never happened to me. Upon running into a dealer he Exclaimed: " I thought you were black!" Made my day and caused me to smile the rest of the week.

Overall, things were good with the exception of some SPORT Dudes blocking the trading/buying I was trying to do by totally freaking out over a nice (but not rare) baseball card...and then the story of how much they wanted it, who else had one at the show, how much they wanted and the long grind they were on to aquire said card. Geez! But this is the SPORTS COLLECTORS SHOW afterall!...We NonSportsMen had to expect things like this in booth after booth.

Met a lot of folks/dealers like Bob,Dave,Mike,Joe, Steve etc who were "In the Zone" and ready to hammer out a deal..cool.

I was in different areas in Virginia,DC and Maryland on my trip which afforded the chance to seek out old haunts, places, friends and to " check the action" in these places. I also got into the "ghetto" fringe areas that most tourist stay away from...got my blood pumping to see the ol run down neighborhoods...Poverty,Corner liquor stores, community hang outs,restuarants that are normally outside the tourist mindset...we are all just human beings living our lives allthough in different ways. It was humbling.

Mr. Finn might disagree...but it seemed like the ol baltimore had cleaned up some what...But I don't live there..perhaps I'm wrong.
Many, Many nice places to eat, hangout...don't remember that last time I was there years ago

Did not take too much footage but here is one from heritage booth...I really am not sports obsessed..but that Sport Kings Ruth card always speaks to me. Love the set, love the layout and love the colors of that particular card.

http://youtu.be/WasrIOcrnM4

Next a little snippet of some cool wallpaper...LOVE this 1953 Uncut sheet. Perfect for the man cave.
Ok, Ok... I got a thing for uncut sheets even if they ARE NOT vintage (most) and fairly common.

http://youtu.be/Qetxhl5G7FY

The Marcys ( Brian, Bob and Wife) & Marty Krim pretty much had a corner on the non sport market.
I enjoyed meeting Brian, Bob and Wife...I did not however sample any of her now famous cookies...but when I saw a R5 set and mentioned how nice it was...She wasted NO TIME..whipping it out and laying it before me...Top Notch!
Good to see a Family business run by the family offering up Tons of nonsports along with sports...sadly, Time was short and I did not have the time to sift through bob's books and offerings but have always been very pleased buying over the phone and Bob "tellin it like it is"... I know I will be seeing him or hearing him in the future.
(1 mistake... I did not get around to filming his booth...I regret that)

Marty Krim & Family Booth(minus wife at the time of my visit)seemed to be the official NET54 Non Sport person port. I got to meet Mr. Hornish ( whose post & articles never cease to amaze me)Allen McHenry ( Heinz investigator extrordinaire)Peter, John and Dave.

I missed Henry, Col. Boblitt, Adam, Finn , Cliff, Alan & Greg (sigh)... I guess there is alays next year.

The Surprise attack on Marty & Stephanie...>

http://youtu.be/Uhu_Fj-21pE

a Botched Krim Booth Promo and a Sad Aluminum case story ...>

http://youtu.be/nDTR5t2bhnY

All in all, A neat little side trip to the national

Now if I could only find that Pool Room I was looking for

BTW GREAT PHOTOS, GREAT PHOTOS, great reports and pick ups Gang!
Super!

CR

(Login fallbrookjack)

National

No score for this post
August 8 2012, 10:57 AM 

Thanks for the videos Charley. It's good to see some of the merchandise in the booths. Also some wonderful finger shots. - Jack J.

(Login TheNewtonian)

No score for this post
August 8 2012, 11:47 AM 

Charley , many thanks happy.gif for the Lumpy Gravy Helter Skelter vids ,trippy maaan (said in my best redkneck Southern Drawl) .

Any one seen Neil Young ?

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
August 8 2012, 7:43 PM 

Thanks Jack & Mark..I think in this case PHOTOS are much better than my "shaky ,finger included " Vids.
I'm sure you guys would have done the same

Mark: No, No Neil Young...The word is out...they are now elusive. (sigh)

Put on my mask and stole a couple things..then made a quick get away blending into the inner harbor tourist crowds.

Big thanks to my Jamaican friend who hid my car right next to the center.

CR

(Login wrapperguy)

Thankis

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 12:01 AM 

I have only been on this non-sport board a few times but enjoy the esprit de corps on this side as the baseball side can get very contentious. Anyway, my 92 year old father started an Indiam Gum set in his youth in 1933. Dad cannot go to shows any longer so I have been chipping away at it for a few years now. Was down to the last card and visited Marty's booth (though I just found out who it was in this thread). Of the 100+ cards he had from the set, Debbie and I found the elusive #119 as the third to last card. I was obviously ecstatic. When I asked how much the card was, Marty gave it to me for free! What a gracious and classy thing to do. Admittedly, the card did not have much value in its condition but it was the great gesture of giving me the last card for the set that will be a very pleasant memory from the Baltimore National. Thanks Marty and Debbie!

(Login 030190)

LAST INDIAN GUM CARD - JEFF

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 12:06 AM 

Hello Jeff:

Yes, I remember you and your quest for your dad, quite well..

You thought I said that you could have the last Indian Gum Card for FREE..

I said there would be a FEE !!

Oh well, too late now.

(Login 030190)

NATIONAL REPORT

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 12:12 AM 

Back home now but still not unpacked..No one can say that I overwork myself..

This may be my last chat line message as somehow my wife has convinced me (read that: coerced or hypnotized me) to join her and her 50+ friends on a 100 mile bike ride. I tried to convince her that it would be a great benefit to have me in a trailing car handling out water and towels, but no go.

The 7 hour trip home was fine, even though I swore to Peter L. that would not take the dreaded GW Bridge...I did....it was no problem at all, if you don't count the unbelievable $12 toll..

I would say that this was the most fun I ever had at the National (as both my wife and daughter were there plus it is always a blast to set up next the Knouse Klan) except that you guys kept showing me the great items you purchased - that I missed..

Some very nice items were on the floor such as: The Heinz Premium Photos and the usual fine display of high grade cards from Mervin L., Peter of Champs and Bums, Scottsdale Cards and Glenn Mechanic plus the wide variety of items from Steve Sabow..

Met a bunch of people who I only knew by name such as the elusive Greg G. (I forgive you for purchasing that E card)..Pete C, Dave H., Mr Texas Allen and a bunch more that somehow escapes me.

Our fearless leader Tom, spent a lot of time across the aisle with some baseball guys and I spotted him EVERY morning munching on doughnuts and NEVER did he offer me one or two.

Tom Ryan and his Dad were great fun as was the man who spreads the love - Charlie R. who kept me smiling for the full 30 minutes he spent at the booth..Stalwarts Eric Beachley, Al De La Posta, traveling man Paul K., Mark F. came by (I am sure I am missing someone, sorry)..

Cliff F. was instrumental in bringing me to 990 on my hunt for the 1500 Master Set total of the T113 series and Mr Bob Marcy put me over the top - so I currently have 1002..Now on to the T44 Birthday Horoscopes and T97 Riddles.

There has been a lot of chit-chat about Bob's lovely bride and her peanut butter cookies..I wish I could give an opinion but twelve(12) is not enough for me to decide.

Jim VB is another Prince of a Guy - as he is sending me my last card of R114 to complete the Master Set of 90 (not four colors)...Thanks Jim.

I had a nice front row seat watching Dave L. and Alan M. scurrying around the floor trying to get to the PSA 8s and PSA 9s first.

Speaking of Alan M. - he is the consummate businessman...He invented the game of the year (Ticket to Ride) and when my daughter, Stephanie found this out she was amazed and thrilled to meet Alan (I have no idea why)..She immediately challenged him to a game..SOMEHOW he LOST the game..Now she is back in Chicago telling everyone about her victory over Alan and Ticket to Ride..Nice going Alan !!

There were a few people who were NOT there that were missed such as: DJR and his bride and HENRY MOSES.....hmm, wait a sec...Henry was there - he spent so much time hanging around with my daughter, I mean SO MUCH TIME with my 22 year old daughter (laughing, giggling, fist pumping) that he was like an apparition to me.

Next year - Chicago.

mr moses
(Login 1880nonsports)

blog

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 3:02 AM 

No idea where to begin. I've searched you tube the past couple of days for a video share from Jerry Spillman or Carlton Hendricks as had been the case for the past few years but nuttin yet. I did see Jerry ambling about with whatever one calls a cell phone camera thing these days. I'm admittedly a dinosauer and actually happier that way. I can make and receive calls which are mostly from my wife about something I've done wrong. Great.
I usually travel by car but decided that the 20+ hour straight there trips are a bit taxing on an aging mind and body. Two hours and change and I'm at BMI from West Palm. Figuring my money best spent on cards, I opted for the light rail @ 1.60 over the shuttle (16.00) or car/cab (40.00). It was about twenty-five minutes from the airport to the convention center after a ten minute wait. The train weaved and rattled past the typical terrain one finds around the tracks of any city and at 9;30 AM most of the seats were filled. I wasn't asked to see my ticket. Two blocks from my stop and I confront my opponent. I say that because walking the concrete floors day in and day out at these things is a killer.
I missed dealer day on Tuesday which can be a good day for buying. That being said, I've done this show as a dealer a few times and been on the other side of the table for a few as well. When I sold - I did 80% of my business that first day. I was there to sell and brought good stuff. When I've primarily been there early to buy, I've rarely been able to ferret out anything. I'm no whale so no-one is saving me anything under the table. It's a baseball card show and the ancillary items or specific cards I need aren't there or are over-priced (mostly just not there). It's a problem no matter the venue anyway when you have 90% of what you need.
I'm using paragraphs but if you're reading this don't be fooled as it's still rambling and speeling/punctuation doesn't count. Keep in mind I'm no E. L. Doctrow.........
I'm at the door and my friend and early americana dealer Glenn Mechanick sends me my 42.00 dealer badge. As I enter the great hall - the first thing that hits me on a purely visceral level is that while I'M excited - I don't feel the usual buzz in the room. Granted it's early Wednesday and the first customers won't be pushing thru until late afternoon. There are of course some quiet but serious looking conversations - a couple seemingly punctuated by looks over toward the Legendary booth (front and center of the main entrance) - it just felt different. The allegations and goings on are quite disturbing to me on a global level as I sort of trusted the major auction houses/officers (I've bid in all of them) - more so I imagine to the big dollar guys and "trusted friends". Shilling, faking, trimming - all fodder for a different thread.
I walk past the tables on my way to Glenn. Only about 1/2 of them are ready to go - primarily those with with large booths that include non-card items, corporate booths, auction and services companies, and some other guys I can't catagorize. Between 6 and 15 dealers to a row with a mix of new cards in bargain bins near the exit doors to the expensive 1910 era gems center stage. Most of the newer memorabilia guys at the far end where the autographs are. The miriad of grading companies are in the back end as well along with Lin Terry (for the first time - the only person I saw set up with supplies), the modern player picture and signed whatever in a collage guys, and friendly boxing dealer Gary Shultz who later sold me two N2 indians to almost put my set to rest. I'm sure he feels he got taken as his asking price a bit stiff - but I paid him 20% more than what I've passed on paying for the cards before. Happy to get them as there wasnn't much non-sports - especially not 19th century.
After saying hello to Ron Oser (who I've always found to be a gentleman over the past 15+ years) and pressing the flesh with Ron Vitro with son and wife, little Stevie whom I know from Brooklyn, Chris Buckler and wife, the venerable Dan McKee, and Terry Tik and Tik Knouse - the show begins for me. Arriving at Glenn's table - with it's warm and familiar feel I knew I was home happy.gif
After quickly looking thru his offerings in case I hadda have it - I made my way to PSA. Not here to talk about a trimmed Wagner but something equally important I wanted to say as I sat down in one of 10 or so chairs at their very large booth. I looked the young lady in the eye and said I'd like a grade review. She took the card, filled out a form, and said I should come back the next day. It's a PSA 4 N43 large Allen and Ginter champions baseball card. I have 49 of the fifty cards. For whatever reasons I use SGC to holder the cards from the 6/7 sets I collect. I "won" this card from seth Nedgeman and his 19th century only auction 7/8(?) years ago for nearly 1400.00. A stiff price but that's not the problem as they don't come around often. Problem is I wanted a review be cause I think it's OVERGRADED. Perhaps by a lot. All TPG's make mistakes. I just wanted them to acknowledge theirs. The card has some staining, a corner crease that breaks the surface, and what appears to be a couple of stray pencil marks on the front. Fast forward. Card is re-holdered and given same grade and flip. I ask to speak to someone in charge as I think the grade couldn't possibly be the SAME. When I say the card should have graded lower and I was looking to be compensated in some way - she actually says "why did you buy it if you didn't think it was graded right?". Not very professional. Truth is I bought it from a catalog auction that included a small picture and an assurance from Seth I'd like it. I didn't. Besides the grade should be an indication of the condition - especially when according to their own rules pencil marks would mean a qualifier or a grade no higher than a 3 especially with a crease that breaks the surface. In any event - the manager came over - took the card to the person he said was his head grader and returned to say the head grader says "4". 'Nuff said - finished venting. BTW - PSA booth very busy all the time.
From PSA I went to SGC. One of my main goals was to drop 103 cards off at SGC for grading. 15-20 for my sets and the rest to sell. I know PSA sells for a bit more but don't forget I was angry happy.gif. We ended at 7:00 a card and 30 day service. Not really a deal but I didn't have to write every card on a form........
From there I started on my OCD dominated search walking what felt like a mile to start at the first booth; eventually working my way up and down every isle one half of the room at a time. Sightings and greetings: Mark T., Oser, and Doug at their Legendary booth, Huggins at his auction table, Steve Verkman helped by Tony, Brian Dec with some nice early baseball, Brian from SGC now Edwards, Terry Jr., Sr., Mrs., and all the little Terry's (a little smaller selection than usual but always great rare early stuff), Allan Schwartz (I bought a pair of playing card decks with a golf theme for 20 dollars destined for eBay), Dan McKee had a nice selection and I owe him thanks for allowing to me return an impulsive buy albeit one minute later, our own Steve from NY who gets no respect who seemed busy. I didn't see Alan Haeger, Brian Cataquet, Mr. Mint, David Festberg, or DJR. Most notably on the sport side I found Leon, Scott, and penultimate Old Judge maven Jay Miller. I was able to buy 21 Old Judge/ Goodwin champion cards in the 100.00 per card range. Right there it was a successful trip. I wasn't looking to steal a deal - rather just looking to pay a fair price for cards I need to fill holes. It's rare these days to actually be able to buy much with a good cushion for resale when you're not a whale and you're talking about more than a card or two. I was happy - THERE WERE BUT FEW SUCH CARDS AT THE SHOW. The honorable Mark McCrae, Ted Z., Adam and his dad (sold me a nice 2nd series of champions ginter album for my run), David Hunt, Bob McCann all at the show. Most significant was meeting Zack at Jay's table. An infrequent poster and baseball guy - I'm determined to write him once a year in an attempt to separate him from sumtin he posted here a couple of years ago.
Now for some non-sports. Adam "Legosi" Warshaw. I was hoping to grab a rootbeer with him to thank him for my sunny south card but he was there and then gone. Bob Marcy and wife. I didn't even know they had cookies. I never have the patience to look thru the binders after a couple. He does have the most extensive inventory at the show in N/S (no disrespect to Steve as he rarely has 19th century so I don't really know how much he has....) happy.gif. I bought a proof sheet with full color bars for the 1910's motto's set and a Pilkington album to replace the one I sold before I was putting a run together. I think he had two tables and standing showcase - he seemed to have good traffic. Glenn Mechanick had some nice early non-sports including one of my "most wanted" - a Stevengraph baseball silk with the Ginter advertising on it. I bought a decent Sullivan Kimball champion from him but couldn't get him low enough on a crisp Ewing and Mascot n172 Old judge. Peter Champs and Bums Lalos had some nice later stuff but nuttin for me.
The highlight of my show was any time I got to spend with Marty, anyone in Marty's family, anyone who knows Marty, in fact anyone who has ever even heard of Marty. The only people smiling and having fun at the show (other than the concession owners) were at Marty's place. While there at various times I was honored to hang with the rouges gallery of NS guys - creator of the game of the year and super nice guy - Alan Moon. His smile is infectious, he plays poker, and loves his cards. Wish he wasn't already married but then again I'm not young enough for him.... Mark Finn - pedagog and Baltimore native who kept me laughing with his irreverant sense of humor. Seeming attached to his hip - cool as a cucumber Allen McHenry - probably packing heat - don't try and have a conversation with him when there's a woman around - another fun guy. I look forward to more postal history and related tales of crime and intrigue as well as gratuitous pix of partially clad women. THAT'S what NS is really all about. Esteemed and fearless leader Tom B., Dave "PSA" Lemon, Tom Ryan and dad, Kinney Military's Fannie Mae Eric B. all at the show as well - I just didn't spend too much time talking with them but each a gentleman.
Marty, Debbie, and Stephanie - honestly they made the show for me. Unsure what to say that won't sound wierd. Suffice it to say that they're my type of peeps - you just feel comfortable when hanging out with any and all of them. Traffic at his table seemed steady. I bought an N184 common and a very nice advertising piece.
I stayed at the Hyatt which is across the street from the convention center. Basically I went to the show, went to dinner, and went to sleep. I was on the trip alone and getting soem real z's was on my list. As I was leaving Friday night I couldn't attend the Yankees Nat's doubleheader, Leon's dinner (if he'd have me), the aquarium closed at 5:00, I had visited many attractions my last time in Baltimore. I ate at Morton's on Wednesday (pinback guru Phil Muchinsky next table) and Kona Grill on Thursday.
Show traffic was fairly brisk while I was there. Little in the way of non-sports. This is my hobby - I really enjoy it - feel like I'm a lifer - so I like meeting the people from net54 and putting them together with what they say and do. Missed seeing Charlie R, Todd Riley, Greg Gallagher who I heard were at the show.
NEXT YEAR I'LL SEE YOU IN CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!

(Login 1880nonsports)

ooops

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 3:26 AM 

few missed thoughts:

never met Cliff either - not sure how that happened - he looks taller than me - something I usually notice.

Scott has told me how much better I look - TWICE - I must have really been in bad shape last time he saw me.

Dan - I'm the guy with the moustache and the other guy is Eric B. - we're all standing on chairs except Marty happy.gif

Yes debbie - I really do like that. It's scary how true and feel I should be embaressed.

Sighting of John Tisch.

Shout out to Alana and Lisa - missed not having dinner or some time together.

RIP Bob Bostoff, David Grimes, Fred Edgemon, Bill Nielsen...............

Ron
(Login madmoneyetc)

GREAT musings

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 11:34 AM 

Mr. Moses
reading ur ramblings - made me feel like I was there.

Ron

(Login Steve_NY)

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 11:53 AM 

Yes, Mr. Moses, I was incredibly busy Weds., Thursday and Friday. Saturday and Sunday were slower for me but still by the end of the day, my sales were where they needed to be. Most don't realize how expensive it is to do the National. I figure I don't break even until my sales exceed $2,500. I beat that on Tuesday which was setup day.

Where did my sales come from -- it was almost 50-50 sports and non -sports, whereas in the past 10 years it sometimes was 80-20 in favor of non-sports.
Why this change -- probably because of some really expensive new sports cards I recently purchased.

Also, I didn't have the typical flurry of non sports card singles buyers like in Chicago. I sold some G-men, Indian Gum, Horrors of War, Mars Attacks, Pirates Pictures, etc. Also 10-15 non sports card mint sets to dealers. Even a sale to Marty K.

Every night since I returned I am being inundated with requests for mostly rarer sports cards, so my sales have jumped another 20%; life is good.

It was pleasure talking with everyone--especially those who I knew already.

See you all in Chicago next year.

Steve

(Login teza11)

I can smell the cookies!

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 2:44 PM 

Great accounts by all! I truly feel like I was visiting at Marty's booth and walking the aisles side by side with Henry. Jack, Robert and the rest of us left-coasters really need to push for one of these out our way...

Regards,
Jeff

(Premier Login autograf)
Forum Owner

Jeanette...........

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 2:49 PM 

Marcy also had some sugar cookies with both sugar and/or sprinkles on them that were wicked good too. I started eating them and had to step away from the booth.

Bob and Jeanette (and Brian) are wonderful people. Always enjoy talking cards with them all.........

(Login smokeyjoewood)

national

No score for this post
August 10 2012, 5:08 PM 

Nice pickups everyone. Wish I could have made the trip, but it doesn't sound like there was much in the way of tobacco cards. Was that just a random 377, Tom? Or were there others?

Greg Galliger
(Login GGterps)

Wish I had more time

No score for this post
August 11 2012, 10:41 AM 

Finally home after 4 weeks of mostly being away. Fortunately, I had a chance to spend a couple hours at the national on Thursday.

The national is a chance to see the rare an unusual in sports cards and memorabilia. Babe Ruth's uniform was on display (WOW).

I regret not having more time to seek out and meet more of you. I stopped at Bob Marcy's table and looked through a few of his albums, "can I see the E albums, the D albums, the N500 and up albums?" I didn't find too many bargains but boy did he have the stuff! Maybe because Alan got to the E book before I did - good to meet you Alan!

I was glad to shake Marty's hand and go through his stuff. Could have easily spent thousands on the huge selection of cards he had to offer. He was nice enough to pull out his box full of E & D cards from under the table for me to look through. Bought quite a few cards from Marty.

I found one other dealer (from St. Louis) who had quite a few non-sport cards (for those at the show he was the dealer with the large pillow tobacco silk). Can't recall his name, but he is a long time non-sport collector who was not familiar with this board, I encouraged him to check it out.

Other than those three booths (where I spent more than a few minutes), I wanted to make a point to try and get a look at all the booths in the short time I had. I was able to pick up some bargains from the primarily sport card dealers who had a few non-sport cards.

On the way through my last row (and an hour after I was suppose to have left) I ran into the mountain of non-sports cards at Steve Sabow's table. He had more complete sets and more non sport cards in general than I've ever seen assembled at one table. There were so many and I had so little time that all I could do is introduce myself to Steve and hope I have a chance in the future to peruse his inventory.

I love a beer as much (or more) than most and look forward to the future event where I can spend some time and hang out with the non-sport crew..maybe Chicago.

Here are some of the cards I picked up at the national:
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

(Login 1880nonsports)

what I got

No score for this post
August 13 2012, 1:11 PM 

3 nice albums, great stand-up display card for Kimball cigarettes, and proof sheet with full color. The latter 2 too large for the scanner....

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

No score for this post
August 13 2012, 2:15 PM 

We took a week's vacation right after I got back from Baltimore so I am just now going through my purchases. I picked up a boatload of cards from Marty Krim and greatly enjoyed meeting him and his daughter. The Marcy's had a bunch of Topps test issues that I picked up for my Topps type run and I also grabbed some upgrades to my Look 'N See set among other goodies. Also enjoyed meeting Charley and (briefly) Tom B. I'll post some scans soon (waiting on one biggie to arrive via US Mail) but this was the first show I attended where I only concentrated on non-baseball items. As such, I got a feel for the NS selection and it was good, not great overall IMO.

I also thought the depth of vintage baseball material was less than at any other National I have been to (this was my fourth and I go back to #5)although as I note above, it was not my focus this time.

I had a blast-look forward to next year in Chi-town.

Current Topic - Report from The National  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index