Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

October Pickups

September 30 2012 at 7:22 PM
No score for this post
Alan R. Moon  (Login AlanRM)

Yeah, I know it's a few hours early. But I'm really excited about these pickups. (Disclaimer: A few of these cards aren't new, but most are. I'm just using the scans from my Type Collection instead of separating the new cards out and scanning them by themselves.)

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login 1880nonsports)

duke postage stamps cards

No score for this post
September 30 2012, 7:31 PM 

are one of the few issues that look better than the album presents.... Are you chasing the set? IMHO 2 of the more important NS cards are in the set!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

N85

No score for this post
September 30 2012, 8:09 PM 

Henry, I'm not really chasing any N sets. But I'll buy any cards in PSA 6s or higher in sets I like. I'd certainly enjoy having a complete set of the N85 stamps. I'll bite on the big two cards? Are they the Postmaster General Wanamaker and Rowland Hill? Or two others?

Alan

Anonymous
(Login 1880nonsports)

ha!

No score for this post
September 30 2012, 8:51 PM 

postmaster general important - but so too any card in any set of any luminary. The two cards are important because they showed the contemporanaeous (can't speeel) affliction that is at the core of our hobby today. You get 2 more guesses..........

Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

Stumped by Stamps

No score for this post
September 30 2012, 9:06 PM 

You got me Henry. I have no reason to guess any of the others. So reveal the truth please.

Alan

Anonymous
(Login 1880nonsports)

ok

No score for this post
September 30 2012, 9:44 PM 

got any duke cards?
give us that card mister.

while a couple of sets like sweet caporal nationalities depict the packs the cards came in - there are nearly no references to card collecting at the time ON CARDS THEMSELVES. Occasionally on a trade card maybe (and then as a specific reference - not as element of the subject as above), and there are a couple of postcards, but not on N or even T cards that come to mind...... As you can see - the importance is a bit contrieved and subjective - the best of what this hobby is all about.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Picked up a complete

No score for this post
October 2 2012, 10:42 PM 

J P Coats H606 Military Uniforms set of (20) cards. Condition varies but mostly VGEX or so. Also a companion booklet that I have never seen before that pictures about 1/2 of the cards in the set. Very, very cool item. I intend to get the 20 card scanned front and back and get them to dan for a gallery page this week. For now, I've scanned the entire booklet and will send it to him. Here's the front/back covers and some interior pages......

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

jerry bannister
(Login jbnonsport)

Re: October Pickups

No score for this post
October 3 2012, 7:29 AM 

Tom, very nice pickup on the J&P Coats Military cards as well as the booklet. That is a great set and tough to come by. I have been picking away at it card by card, like you had not seen the booklet. Thanks for showing.

Alan- always enjoy seeing your cards, what a fantastic type collection. The amount of sets and cards out there just seems endless. Since you have started with N cards I am curious to see if you will ever get into the H Trade cards. That was one of the last genre's I got into in card collecting, now I am pretty much hooked on everything having to with cards.

Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

H Cards

No score for this post
October 3 2012, 9:16 AM 

Great cards Tom. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry,, I don't have any plans to move into H cards, but if I see nice PSA examples I certainly would love to add them to my Type Collection. The H cards I've seen are all super cards. Feel free to post some examples. You can probably tempt Dan into adding a Gallery page for them!

Alan

This message has been edited by AlanRM on Oct 3, 2012 9:27 AM

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Thanks Alan.....

No score for this post
October 3 2012, 10:57 AM 

Would be tougher, but not impossible, to move into H's for you as they're larger and quite a bit tougher to find in REALLY high grade since so many were glued into scrapbooks. Always love seeing your stuff.

Allen McHenry
(Login allenmc)

Throwing more Love on Marty Krim

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 12:33 PM 

Hate to throw any more love on Marty Krim, but its deserved

I just got back some cards from PSA that I dropped off at the National (yes, they will make good on the late arrival back from Newport Beach).

Before I arrived at the National, I had talked to Marty about a Superman # 72, agreed on a price, and subsequently picked up the card when I arrived at Martys booth (tour guide Mark Finn making the introduction). Marty could have easily sold the Superman card for much more money than what I paid him, and I was more than happy with the purchase. Its a beautiful card, and its one I have been looking for.

[linked image]

Marty further surprised me when he started grinning ear-to-ear, and said he had a surprise for me. What happened next can only be described in Hollywood-Movie terms. Marty said he located a specific card from my wish list, and then took a small piece of paper, wrote a price on it, turned it over so I could not see the dollar amount he wrote, and slid the piece of paper across the table to me (face-down). He then said, do you want to see the card first, or the price first? Now the dilemma, do you look at the price first or the card first? Finn gave me kid-in-a-candy-store-look and said I had to see the card first. And theres Marty, grinning like the Cheshire Cat. Against my better judgment, I agreed with Finn and asked Marty to see the card before I knew the price.

Marty pulls out a hefty Pelican Brief case complete with cipher coded locks. Its just then I notice the case has been handcuffed to Martys wrist. Marty unshackles the handcuff from his wrist and briefcase, then places the briefcase on the table, and starts ratcheting through a series of coded numbers until hes ready to unlock the briefcase. About then, Im noticing people start looking around towards Martys booth. Marty looks up grinning, and you hear one loud metal click as one of the locks pops open. I notice its getting quite on the National floor. Then comes the 2nd click and by that time, you can hear a pin drop on the floor, and everybody I see is looking over at Martys booth. (I think Steve Sabow even stopped selling cards to see what was going on). When Marty opens the briefcase, a yellow glowing light emerges from inside the briefcase (just like in the 1994 movie, Pulp Fiction, when Jules, the Samuel L. Jackson character opens the briefcase belonging to Mobster Marsellus). By that time, both Mark Finn and I are both salivating at the unknown card. And the unknown price written on the small piece of torn white paper sitting in front of me is beginning to feel insignificant.

And there is it, a 1936 R144 Wolverine Strange True Stories Bat Man card. (Got have it). Marty knows hes got me hooked. Finn is telling me there are less Bat Man cards in existence than Wild West Cowboy Outfit cards, and its a rare specimen. At that point, the price is moot. I turn over the piece of paper, think about 2 minutes and pull out a wad of Benjamins for Marty. It was fun meeting Marty, and I like the way he takes care of his customers. I find Marty to be a great guy, and even though hes had too much love already heaped upon him, Its all been well-deserved. I felt like Marty treated me (a previously unknown customer) like family.

And now, Im the owner of a Bat Man card. My good friend Natalie agreed to model the card for me.

[linked image]

I had also purchased the Heinz Airplane Premiums from the Artists son. And its cool to own the set. The Roscoe Plane Premium is cut and missing some paper, and I plan to have the set restored on linen.

My good friend Linda greed to pose with the Heinz Airplane Premiums.

[linked image]

Just for kicks, Linda is shown here holding my Five Rare Aviator cards (aka the Fab five). I dont think there are very many complete sets of Rare Heinz Aviators sitting out there, and PSA has authenticated only one set to date.

[linked image]

And I do sleep well at night. Pillow in one hand, and my 1936 Wolverine Bat Man card in the other.

allen mchenry postal inspector houston texas

p.s. and Mr. Moses, you were spot-on with how you see my card-collecting enthusiasm

p.s..s. and to the Boys across the Pond, I always have you in mind when I post

This message has been edited by allenmc on Jan 1, 2013 9:26 PM

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 1:42 PM 

Very...creative card display!

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Jeff O.
(Login hires48)

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 2:00 PM 

After all that has been posted it's kind of embarrasing to show my pickup, but here it is.

Astronaut Patches cards from Kellogg (F273-56)

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Jeff

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

October Pickups

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 2:47 PM 

Jeff - No embarassment necessary. I've always liked my of Kellogg Space Patches. Here's the envelope and letter sent with my set. - Jack J.

[linked image] [linked image]

Bill Meyers
(Login bmeyers)

Jack & Jeff,

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 4:26 PM 

I love that set! I sold my set on eBay some years back and have always regretted it. Jack, I also love the extras of the mailer and letter from Kellogg's. Considering that the set was mailed out as a courtesy and, I believe, not usually available to purchase all at one time, that makes your particular set much scarcer. As a mail-away cereal/candy premium collector, I'm impressed.

Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

Patches

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 5:44 PM 

The patches are super. Thanks for sharing. And Bill, there is at least one for sale on EBay at the moment: Item number 110958887202.

Alan

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 6:40 PM 

Speaking of Kelloggs, I am looking for a box from the old Danish Go Rounds with the baseball card advertising, like this one:

[linked image]

All things equal, though I would take any box, I would most prefer the Brown Sugar Cinnamon flavor since those are what I remember eating as a kid.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Bill Meyers
(Login bmeyers)

Thanks Alan,

No score for this post
October 4 2012, 8:09 PM 

I've put in a bid. These patches do show up from time to time so it should be fun building this set. Now, if I can only find the letter and mailer!

Greg Galliger
(Login GGterps)

No score for this post
October 7 2012, 7:27 PM 

Thanks To Alan Miley for this nice set of Hollywood Stars
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

These looked neat to me - no idea....
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Roy Rogers Puzzles
[linked image]
[linked image]

Cereal box and shoe comic book
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Canadian Gum Inc cards
[linked image]
[linked image]

Group of bread labels
[linked image]
[linked image]

Strollers moviecard Zeno Postcard, Candy card
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

D52 Mickey Recipe Book
[linked image][linked image]

Maybe these are common but have not seen them before? Appears to be a very large set. Anyone have an album?
[linked image]

Anyone have any of these Blony Gum Comics?
[linked image]

This message has been edited by GGterps on Oct 7, 2012 7:28 PM

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

A few recent.........

No score for this post
October 8 2012, 8:41 AM 

pickups........

Some Tough Lone Jack Types.........(except the flower)
[linked image]

Tough Gehrig Stamp from Famous Americans Stamp......
[linked image]

Some missing cards for sets.....getting close on the Kinney Playing Cards and N6 A&G Cities....
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index