Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

October Pick Ups

October 1 2013 at 6:25 AM
No score for this post

Mark  (Login kurlywurly)
from IP address 217.39.36.160

Ordered September , arrived today .

Italian Coffee cards with familiar themes . Early 1950's .

[linked image]
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

Re: October Pick Ups

No score for this post
October 1 2013, 7:09 AM 

Those are cool!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

No score for this post
October 1 2013, 9:22 AM 

Have wanted one of these for a long time. Right now seems to be a buyers market!

[linked image]

Jon.

Mark
(Login kurlywurly)

No score for this post
October 1 2013, 12:47 PM 

Todd , there are many series available (6 extra large cards)from Lavazza for less than $10 , most sets contain super art work and colours .

Jon , nice pick up and agreed that it seems to be a buyers market on many card related items .

Todd , another from the Peter Pan set .

[linked image]

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

few silks and rugs in trade with Mr Lamb

No score for this post
October 2 2013, 4:14 PM 

and this neat A&G trade card I hadn't seen before. If I wasn't so lazy - I'd try and look it up in the WTI - figure it's part of a set but? It's often hard to find exactly what made this funny about the one dog's hat - I have noticed mnay hard to decipher quips and such like on many of the Duke Jokes series and other TOC advertising ephemera.

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

October Pick-ups

No score for this post
October 4 2013, 3:26 PM 

This D41 bread card set is new to me and I think I like it alot.

[linked image][linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Todd - Looks like "Peter Minuit Buying The Island Of Manhatten" should be included in your checklist. -Jack J.

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack from IP address 76.176.93.8 on Oct 4, 2013 3:41 PM

jerry bannister
(Login jbnonsport)

1880's Humor

No score for this post
October 4 2013, 8:36 PM 

Great cards from everyone. Nice color and art in those Italian coffee cards Mark. The D41 set of historical scenes is a great set in my eye.

Henry-The humor in your A&G was tough to get. I asked my father who being a 1960 Yale graduate in English and has done nothing but read, watch baseball and collect stamps his whole life usually can answer or find out. He had not a clue about the humor, way before his time. Just by chance it came to me in of all places on an episode of Boardwalk Empire. Season 3 episode 8 titled "The Pony". In talking about the episode at the end of the show they say "pony" was a term used in theater to describe the actor/actress who was the comical or "cut up" of the bunch. Your card I think is just picking one out the four who is just that, just to say there is always one in the bunch. I could be way wrong but that is the best I could come up with.

This is one of the great things about card/ephemera collecting, I am always learning stuff.

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

JB - what you're selling

No score for this post
October 4 2013, 9:15 PM 

I'm buying! Thanks.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

Weekend pickups...

No score for this post
October 8 2013, 9:04 AM 

[linked image]
[linked image]

These were a milk mail-away version of the cards on the cartons...
[linked image]

Never saw a cello tray box like this from PCG...
[linked image]

I thought this was cool. It has large gummed back "stamps" with the D60 artwork...
[linked image]

[linked image]

Large (8x15) 1890's periodical cut-outs. The cool thing about these is you know the actual day of issue..
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This is my favorite of the group...
[linked image]

A bit non-PC Uncle Tom playset...
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Never saw these from our old strip card friend M.P. & Co. Does anyone know if these are in the ACC?
[linked image]

They fold open to connect the dots war scenes...
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Cereal inserts...
[linked image]

[linked image]

Thought these were neat. They are small (1.75 x 2.5) and have blank backs. The box says there are 50 and there are 50 in the box. However, the box has several people pictured that are not inside. I wonder if it was just an assortment of a larger series or marketing or something else. Wonder if anyone else has seen these - Troy??
[linked image]

This really made me laugh. Made in 1979 from a record company. The backs look like baseball cards. Complete set with a wrapper for the band "Yipes!". Pretty elaborate set for a band I have never heard of.
[linked image]

These aren't old but are on vintage items. I had never seen these either. Made in the late 1990's and early 2000's they did 3 sets. Each set actually looks like a book with a cover and spine. The pages are actually trading cards that depict all sorts of rare classic books. There are 228 different titles across all 3 series that include: Tolkien, Edger Rice Burroughs, H.G. Wells, and many more. The backs contain details and pricing. If you like books and cards this is a really neat series...
[linked image]

This message has been edited by non-sport.com from IP address 24.160.171.201 on Oct 8, 2013 9:07 AM

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

October Pick-ups

No score for this post
October 8 2013, 4:45 PM 

Todd - Some great pick-ups. Love the Screen Star pennants.

When I get stuff, I have to decide which binder it goes in. You must have to choose the right warehouse. -Jack J/

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
October 8 2013, 4:48 PM 

Jack, My likes are certainly larger than my storage. I do have to be quite creative in where things go. Of course many times I may never find where I put something - HA HA!

mike
(Login mmemmikem)

No score for this post
October 8 2013, 6:34 PM 

Hi Todd. I was talking with that 'Classic Book' guy and those card sets were catalogs he sent out to sell what he had in stock. He said he tried that format instead of the usual magazine style catalog as something different, and it did help sell some of his stock that hadn't previously sold. I had already come across the first 2 sets couple years ago and was planning on getting 3rd at end of show but forgot... oh well, maybe next show.
Guy also said he made 1000 of each set.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
October 8 2013, 6:44 PM 

Mike, I talked to him some more about them. He said most of his clientele were millionaires and dropped several Hollywood names, etc. He said he wanted to do another set that were stickers along with an album. He was just imagining these millionaires hunched over their albums putting little stickers in their spots and got quite a chuckle out of it.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Those.....

No score for this post
October 8 2013, 10:06 PM 

Those Yipes! Cards look exactly like 1979 Topps cards in design and the wrapper looks like a Topps wrapper. I'd bet Topps did the set for them......neat stuff.....

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

No score for this post
October 9 2013, 11:10 AM 

Great lot of (23) Presidential Pennants starting with Washington, ending with Wilson.......MISSING:

Tyler
Hayes
Cleveland (not sure if 1 or two)
Taft

Not sure when issued.......with the above adds, it would be a 27/28 pennant set. Could include Harding, Coolidge & Hoover to make it 30? Likely a single Cleveland since they're not dated........

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

special pennants

No score for this post
October 9 2013, 12:24 PM 

never saw them before - very neat Tom............

jim
(Login visionlures)

No score for this post
October 10 2013, 7:53 AM 

Todd
The mpc "dot-dash" are not listed. They also produced a "Magic Pictures" series, same format, also unlisted.

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
October 10 2013, 9:36 AM 

Nice PU's all.

Tom: I don't think those are a "topps" product (my opinion) The Cards themselves look like a "topps" design format though...Don't see "topps" using a sticker to seal a pack unless this is a unlisted, "test"/Promo???

Not something I would chase but My curiosity is piqued, I have NEVER seen one of these cards or a pack (there are tons of things I have not seen) but late 70's early 80's?...I can't think of any issue that was not spotted...in great volume by me (shrugs shoulders)

Perhaps Todd or Brother Hornish could provide more insight??

"Showin the love since 1964 "

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
October 10 2013, 11:27 AM 

Charley,

My guess is that they were just that: promo cards paid for by the record company for corporate distribution. While there's no clear evidence linking the cards to Topps, it's probable that the record company would have contracted out to a trading card printer to design and print the product, and in those days, I suspect Topps would have been the top choice (no pun intended). The "contains no gum" line on the wrapper probably means the company didn't have (or want to deal with) USDA permits for distribution of edible goods.

We used to get oddball stuff like this when I worked in radio. The record companies would send out novelties featuring the bands they represented in hopes of attracting the attention of the program manager who would theoretically be more likely to consider the group's record for airplay because they were associated with free swag. Legal payola, more or less. I suspect they may have been sent to concert promoters and newspaper entertainment editors, as well, as a way to "stand out" from all the other bands.

No matter who produced the cards, they're a neat novelty. I wonder if the record company had them made for other bands, as well.

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
October 10 2013, 3:24 PM 

Jason: I tend to agree on the "promo" spin. Just not sure they could have had "topps" take this on?? I mean, how many could be out there? I Have a Printing background. The Art, Set up for such a small run ( a few 100 or 1000 cards) would be Cost prohibitive. But again, I 'd like to know more then just us "Goobs" speculating.(grin) If anyone could get to the bottom or offer more it wou,d be Todd (the owner, holder of goods) or Dave Hornish who is a never ending fountain of info Concerning Topps.
Thx for your kind reply.
We'll see.

" Showin the love since 1965"

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index