Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

April Pickups

April 1 2014 at 6:46 PM
No score for this post

Dave Hornish  (Login dsh46)

Lucked out on this one-a toughie off the Topps type list:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by dsh46 on Apr 1, 2014 6:47 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

Recent Additions

No score for this post
April 2 2014, 10:37 PM 

Picked up these two PSA 8s and fifteen PSA 7s. Now have two thirds of the N83 set with a 6.8 GPA.

[linked image]

Been wanting to add an N135 to my Type Collection for a long time.

[linked image]

Here's another set I'm glad is finally part of my collection:

[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

And here's one for you Mark Edmunds!

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Tough......

No score for this post
April 2 2014, 11:36 PM 

Tough congress of beauties.......need that one for my set.....a little high grade though....

jim
(Login visionlures)

Re: April Pickups

No score for this post
April 3 2014, 7:09 AM 

1934 Roosevelt action picture.

Card was obtained by redeeming ten R103 wrappers.

Mentioned in Benjamin but omitted from the bible.

One side is an action picture which "moved" when the screen was used,

The other side is foil. Most likely the first foil card.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Among the rarest of president cards.

Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

The First Foil

No score for this post
April 3 2014, 8:00 AM 

Super card Jim. Much cooler than the Strongman!

Alan

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

nuggets

No score for this post
April 3 2014, 7:39 PM 

fantastic trade card for my core collection. Thanks Wonka! Top billing despite the following item.

[linked image]

Bit OT but ran across this 1968 photo T shirt featuring Warhol. Special to me because my mom is in it.........

[linked image]

Super hanging store card with grommet. Harlequins, cupids, and women with wings have a way of seperating me from my money.

[linked image]

Few odds and ends.

[linked image]

Ted
(Login agfav)

HENRY

No score for this post
April 3 2014, 9:32 PM 

Great T Shirt Henry! That's from the days when I'd be thrown out of Max's Kansas City for being underage (no one really cared it was NYC in the '70's), I wanted see the bands. Your Mom must be really cool!

This message has been edited by agfav on Apr 3, 2014 9:35 PM

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

when my mother died

No score for this post
April 3 2014, 9:45 PM 

they held a minute of silence for her at Max's as she was quite well known there. I went there a few times in the mid to late 60's. Once a guy who picked me up hitching on the NYS thruway in 1968 was telling me about his harmonica playing and we wound up at Max's where he actually got to play for Leonard Cohen (I really suck at spelling). True story happy.gif

Ted
(Login agfav)

Sorry

No score for this post
April 3 2014, 9:54 PM 

to hear about your Mom. But you know what I meant. Thanks for the story, believe every word. No place like
NYC.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 4 2014, 2:41 PM 

First a R701-9 Bowman Movie Star wrapper from 1948, a tough one to find. Dan, you might consider this for the Gallery.

[linked image]

I love the R70 Pho-to Gum wrapper graphics, but never has there been a more miss-matched wrapper to card set. Why would Shelby Gum put nursery rhyme cards in this wrapper? The set of cards is still referred to as "Humpty Dumpty". -Jack J.

[linked image]

mark
(Login kurlywurly)

No score for this post
April 4 2014, 3:38 PM 

Wow , just hadda say Wow .
Fantastic cards from Alan , spectacular card and future reseadch from Mr Jim and wonderful garment shown from Henry plus some wonderful wrapper s from Mr JJ .

Jason Gorham
(Login Broncosfan1)

No score for this post
April 4 2014, 5:03 PM 

Ebay pickup.....

[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
April 4 2014, 5:21 PM 

Have to agree with Mark - WOW!

Everyone is really kickin' butt already this month.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Buffalo Bill

No score for this post
April 4 2014, 9:34 PM 

Got the tougher of the two Buffalo Bill n566 Newsboys.......in fantastic condition......

[linked image]

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

jealous Tom

No score for this post
April 5 2014, 3:33 AM 

hard to get and sweet looking. I've managed to hold onto my candy-back through all my ups and downs - have a couple of other BB's as well - never that bad boy - I'm gonna look for that pose later in my book.......

jim
(Login visionlures)

No score for this post
April 5 2014, 8:42 AM 

From an old seemingly deliberate collection of singles.

I would guess this to be the highest number printed.

Previous high was #26

[linked image]

mark
(Login kurlywurly)

No score for this post
April 5 2014, 12:38 PM 

[linked image]

something for everyone ...hope the wife enjoys her set .

John
(Login wonkaticket)

No score for this post
April 6 2014, 2:51 AM 

Amazing stuff guys, Henry glad you like it.

A few odds and ends from the past few months....sorry for the odd sizing of the pictures...

A little rough but I still like it.
[linked image]

[linked image][linked image]
[linked image][linked image][linked image]
[linked image][linked image][linked image]

A few more Lillian items,also with a very cool one at least to me her personally owned handkerchief.
[linked image]
[linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Cheers,

John

This message has been edited by wonkaticket on Apr 6, 2014 3:34 AM

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

wow John

No score for this post
April 6 2014, 6:26 AM 

you've been busy! Signed Lillian looks "right" (I've reviewed quite a few - but it's always a leap of faith). Banner is great regardless of the flaws. You have flaws and you're not even that old. As a continuing point of information - I have mentioned the printer's proof marks like the one's in your sovereign piece in the past and suggested that although the image itself was perhaps used in a die-cut as well - the configuration of the markings at the perifery rather than next to the central image were with near certainty indicitive of a poster or similar. The piece above however was most likely a proof for the DIE-CUT. Notice that the hash marks are next to the central figure suggesting die-cut. I can say that there does exist a die-cut of the above figure thereby at least for the moment not ruling out my conjecture.

Your Duke's advertising mirror is quite nice. I have a slightly smaller version without any sort of insert (never was one). Is it sealed in the back and what's with the armature holding it? From the scan the condition appears to be exceptional for the age and materials.

While I still regularly search for and encounter Lillian items - I've relegated myself to "historian" as until you have it all - I apparently have no shot at winning rare or even at times pedestrian items that "just happen" to feature an image of Lillian. I can see you're taking this seriously and besides the accolades due you for the banners and posters which are of course of great significance - your tenacity in chasing down Lillian is fun to watch. Not blowing smoke up your *ss btw (which happens to be a real remedy used in earlier times as can be found on the interweb - isn't it wonderful) - just the way I'm seeing it......

I used to have some real passion like you have now which has waned a bit since leaving an environment that featured opportunities for the search and occasional acquisition. Mostly it's this board and a genetically driven appetite for stuff that fits my now truncated focus which sustains my interest - but I no longer have the passion on a day to day basis. I'm still married however to quite a few of my "children" and I still get excited about something newly discovered as well as exploring the history and production with someone that potentially cares, selling or trading b+ and better material without losing money, and making a tough score. The rest - not so much.

It's for all the usual reasons I suppose - after a while certain material becomes recognized as unatainable because it's acquisition is cost prohibitive, it's infrequently if ever encountered, or it's inextricably entrenched in a collection. It's also hard to keep up with all the auction houses large and small, search eBay, go to shows, and have a life happy.gif. The demands of the challenge begin to exceed the rewards.

Sadly that has resulted in the pursuit at times either feeling oppressive or not feeling fresh and engaging. I suppose that's why I like when questions arise relevent to the earliest cards and collectibles - it allows me to explore and in some ways re-visit my stuff and the reasons I have it to begin with.

no guarantees whether written or implied

obviously not edited for brevity or clarity - I removed some smiley faces as my mood suddenly changed happy.gif

This message has been edited by 1880snonsports on Apr 6, 2014 6:55 AM

Greg Galliger
(Login GGterps)

Recent pickups

No score for this post
April 6 2014, 11:46 AM 

Henry, as usual your post made me stop and think, re-read and wonder..... Unusual this time was the wonder. I'm rooting for you discover a previously unknown (affordable) tobacco treasure or something old & sufficient to get your colleting juices percolating again!

Odds & Ends

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index