Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

MAY pick-ups

May 2 2014 at 8:58 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)

mr moses  (Login 1880snonsports)
from IP address 71.196.86.240

happy.gif Don't believe I've ever started one and doubt there's a card to be seen - but I haven't been buying - and it never ends well.....

#22 of 27 7/8" pinbacks

[linked image]

somehow after seeing this listed so many times - I negotiated a deal with free shipping and added in my eBay bucks + special 10% offer fom eBay and pulled the trigger

[linked image]

I have a few of these in different sizes - once selling for 750. and up when quite a few people were caught up in their beauty. At 400. and fully marked - well I'm "averaging"! Last of the money allocated from my Edwards consignment. I can sell but I have to replace it with something else.....

[linked image]

Rolling the dice with some bakelite bones - go-with for my colored butterscotch poker chips and boards

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

just added

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 4 2014, 6:15 PM 

Thanks to a fair trade with a board member on our sister site (my hard earned CASH for the book) - I have finished my "run" of ACC's with the addition of a 1939 copy yesterday. Scared by the recent escalation of prices realized in a couple/three auctions - I bought it despite a missing front cover albeit at a discount. I generally do NOT buy cards and whatevers to fit into my collection that need upgrading in the future - but find it difficult to make a hard and fast rule about it and there are only so many to be had. I have heard 500 copies in the original printing (unconfirmed-think it's in one of my archived hobby publications) and not sure if that would have included the mimeo copies that apparently were produced in addition to my example of the printed copies. That being said - I'm now looking for an upgrade happy.gif while I'm still happy to have this one.
The good news is that it seems more people are appreciating the hobby history behind the cards themselves and the early proponents, authors, and participants (in part due to the exploration here and perhaps with more zest/depth on the darker side). I have always considered the hobby as a whole - the experience of my contemporary relationships formed with hobby friends, hobby lore, card manufacture/production/distribution, the truths and lies, the wacky people and stories, the shows and hunt - with my stuff. Everyone can experience the hobby the way they chose - I enjoy the history and piecing together little pieces of the puzzle......

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
ted
(Login agfav)

totaly agree with Henry.

No score for this post
May 4 2014, 8:06 PM 

The best thing a bout this hobby is it gives you a great way to get in touch with American History.
I picked up 2 Buffalo Bill cards today. It gave me a renewed interest in Bill but also the others
that are in his set. I know there are others who have contributed more to life than Bill so it gives
me time to think about the others & why we only care about them is when we need their cards. But with this
hobby it doesn't matter, You do not have to care about Johnny Palooka or his card except when you
need it.

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

I have a few Buffalo Bill

No score for this post
May 4 2014, 9:23 PM 

cards, photos, premium whatevers. One of my favorites is a stamped leather premium of him mounted on his steed. He was larger than life and there's quite a few cards and ephemera associated with him and the many things he was connected to as a scout in the civil war and as a showman/promoter. Duke's history of poor boys is a great 16 page biography of the genre. The N167 OJ BB has both eluded (and haunted) me since selling it about 10(?) years ago after purchasing it in a Festberg auction. The N162 is great looking - the G.B. Miller sharp - even the somewhat pedestrian N28 looks good - but something about the N167 is special besides the fantastic pose - it's the earliest "insert card" featuring him and one of the earliest non-sports cards to be issued as part of a set. The Newsboy regardless of the back is a must and can be found without too much difficulty. As they were an exchange - many are found in collector condition.
You have made a good choice with Cody. Of the three luminaries I've encountered while seeking N cards and the go-withs - Buffalo Bill, Sandow, and P.T. Barnum each might have been my sole collecting focus had I not gravitated to a more generic approach as they influenced more than just a small circle of people - and they all LOOK as interesting as their lives. For a bit I collected some Lillian Russell and Sarah Bernhardt but rather than paying a premium for advertising and cards with their image as a sole focus - I again went a little more global.
The whole idea is to have fun...........

edited to correct a serious speeling error!

This message has been edited by 1880snonsports from IP address 71.196.86.240 on May 4, 2014 9:25 PM

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

May DIDN'T pick-up

No score for this post
May 4 2014, 9:36 PM 

Alan R. Moon
(Login AlanRM)

Great way to start the month!

No score for this post
May 5 2014, 9:39 AM 

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login 1880snonsports)

sweet looking card Alan

No score for this post
May 5 2014, 9:47 AM 

you could shave with that............ I've never owned a Sea Raider card although I've admired them many many times. Quite a spectacular example.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Very.....

No score for this post
May 5 2014, 10:58 AM 

Very, very nice card Alan......a blazer..........congrats!

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

Re: MAY pick-ups

No score for this post
May 5 2014, 10:59 PM 

Wow Alan! That is sweet. You can really see why kids in the 1930's loved cards.

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 12:40 AM 

Alan, add my congrats for the Sea Raiders card!

As for myself, we're not even a week into May, and I've already amassed a pile of stuff.

photo 1_zpsfee433ef.jpg
First off, there are these "Uncle Sam Home Defense" high numbers, courtesy of one Mark Schwartz.

photo 2_zpse12ed183.jpg
Then we have four more "Home Defense" high numbers from the Philly show, from the tables of Messrs. Fermaglich and Krim. That puts me within a dozen cards of having the full run of 144. The center bottom card is my lone type (so far) from the Canadian "Home Defence" series. Bottom right is one of the final three cards I needed for a full set of "Don't Let It Happen Over Here."

More Philly show pickups:
photo 4_zpse531aa68.jpg

photo 3A_zps8856d08b.jpg

photo 6_zps154ef089.jpg
I was happy to find some "Goofy Gags" at the show. I thought the white one at the bottom was among them, but it's not in the checklist; anyone have any idea what it really is? Same for the other non-"Goofy Gags" in this photo. Originally I thought they were Fleer "Back-Slapper Stickers," but again, they're not in the checklist.

photo 14_zps35701481.jpg
An early candy premium from Todd Riley, which may look familiar to those who followed the April pickups thread.

photo 13_zps33b11517.jpg
A full set of "Put-On Badges," also from Todd.

photo 12_zps45e5f87e.jpg
My first unopened Becker prize package.

photo 11_zpsdee59050.jpg

photo 9_zps44646024.jpg

photo 7_zps0e476a48.jpg

photo 10_zpsa459dd33.jpg
The Jaguar card at the bottom is an eBay pickup. Anyone know what set it comes from?

photo 8_zps2efc6f87.jpg
Another eBay pickup, supplemented with Philly show cards to make the complete set. Think they weren't using the show just to sell toys? My favorite part about this set is that the one card doesn't just say "Eternia," but "Eternia Playset." And yes, I'm just the right age that I bought into the whole thing, hook, line and sinker. Even my book bag in elementary school was "Masters of the Universe"-themed!

photo 5_zpsdcc5e568.jpg

photo 15_zps8ebe4678.jpg
Some nice wrapper and box pickups (the "Rotten Eggs" box is full of additional wrappers from the series), as well as all but one of the "Rat Patrol" cards I needed to make a complete set.

photo 16_zpsb7949370.jpg
This one's for Dave!

photo 17_zpsdd84326f.jpg
The back contains a checklist that was reprinted in the "Sport Americana" guides, but I'd never seen it in color before. I wish I could find one to go with the wrapper!

photo 18_zps7abdb09a.jpg
The button on the right is a Philly show pickup from the Leaf "Fink Buttons" set. The one on the right is from the Topps "Wise Guy Buttons" series from the same year; I picked it up for $1 from a flea market the day after the Philly show.

photo 19_zps1e1eb982.jpg
Found these at the same flea market. They bring me within one (the scarecrow), I think, of completing the set. (I already have the black cat.)

photo 20_zps7a23371f.jpg
An antique store pickup from later that afternoon. A near set and one of my favorites since I collect both non-sports cards and 20th-century World's Fair memorabilia.

photo 21_zpsc878c439.jpg
And finally, another eBay pickup, mostly because I forgot to include it in the wrapper/box roundup a few photos back. One of the creepiest wrappers I've ever seen -- where is that fifth arm coming from!?

This message has been edited by a71678 from IP address 173.19.191.244 on May 7, 2014 12:41 AM

Claude Emond
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 5:53 AM 

"Body Shop" should have been called "Body Parts".

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 10:10 AM 

Jason,
Lots of fun stuff!

As for that 5th arm it's obviously the girl's detachable arm as that just looks like an empty sleeve on her one side.

This message has been edited by non-sport.com from IP address 24.160.171.201 on May 7, 2014 10:10 AM

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 6:09 PM 

Recent mail...

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Weekend pickups...

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

These puzzles are approx. 3.5 x 5 and I was told they were from Kellogg's Pep cereal. Anybody have any info on them?
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Been wanting this monster wrapper for a long time....
[linked image]

Check out the BST area for more info on these...

[linked image]

This message has been edited by non-sport.com from IP address 24.160.171.201 on May 11, 2014 8:39 AM

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 7:07 PM 

Thanks Jason-appreciate the scans! I too need an example from this and a couple other similar sets.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

May Pick-ups

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 9:55 PM 

Great stuff this month already. It will be tough to beat April though.

Todd - I love the Invisible Color Picture Album. Email sent on the Cowboy Outfit cards.

Henry - I'd rather remember the two Baseball statues like they are in this thread rather than the "Horror Story" thread. What a sad disaster. I guess we've all got some kind of horror story to tell. Mine had to do with receiving a very rare Miller wax injected alien figure from the 1950s sent in a box with no padding. Needless to say, it was not a great addition to the collection.

Alan - Well ... WOW!!!

- Jack J.

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 11:14 PM 

Wow, Todd, nice pickup on the Comic Jig Saw Puzzles! First time I've ever seen pictures of any of them in color.

Frank Evanov
(Login eagle147)

New

No score for this post
May 7 2014, 11:15 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
Frank

Chuck Millburn
(Login cemill)

No score for this post
May 8 2014, 8:08 AM 

Jack, Good to hear of someone else collecting Miller figures.
I bought a caveman on ebay and the seller broke the leg off,
so he sent it to me for free.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

May Pick-ups

No score for this post
May 8 2014, 9:23 AM 

Chuck - The Miller Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals were among the first collectibles I tried to recapture. In the 1980's I scoured swap meets and antique stores for many years to put together a complete set. Now, with a little cash, they are available on Ebay all the time. I can tell you which kid on the block had which animal and how each eventually met its end. The Purple People Eater is my favorite alien. Good to hear you collect Miller as well. I'd like to see what you have. Maybe I'll click off a photo or two later. - Jack J.

Chuck Millburn
(Login cemill)

No score for this post
May 8 2014, 10:28 AM 

I can't show any pics.
I still need 3 of the small dinosaurs and 2 jungle animals.
I do not have any space aliens.

(Sorry to all for talking about something other than nonsports here)!!!!

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index