Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
tm
(Login favag)

Great - Phil !!

No score for this post
November 20 2016, 7:07 PM 

Going through this lengthy but informative post, I found Phil's contribution of
the Bowdoin College card in 2 colors to be great. This being the one card distributed in two colors. I have looked at many a tobacco card and can't remember this fact prior (a card distributed in two colors)
As I am sure it has happened do any of the card collectors out there remember a
card being distributed in two colors? I wonder if Marty was aware of this, as I
respect his opinion of this set highly. If anyone remembers cards being released
in two colors in any set would you remind me of what they are? A BIG Thank you in advance.
tm

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

Re: T51 Master Set discussion

No score for this post
November 20 2016, 7:53 PM 

Well, there are the American Presidents set with different background colors. I'm not sure if it was mentioned on Net54 or not, but I noticed that the T6 and T51 of Harvard have different jersey coloring for the football players on each side. On one of them, the Harvard punter is being protected by red Harvard jerseys, while on the other, the offensive blockers are wearing Yale Blue.

tm
(Login favag)

Cops & Robbers

No score for this post
November 20 2016, 8:16 PM 

set from Fleer come to mind. I'm surprised John missed that fact of Bowdoin College.
For a Ga Tech guy a big error. Alumni better not find out.

Chuck Millburn
(Login cemill)

No score for this post
November 21 2016, 7:04 AM 

I don't know if this is of interest or not:
N11 has many color variations on the banners but only one (that I am aware of) color variation
on the flag.

[linked image]
[linked image]

tm
(Login favag)

Hey Chuck

No score for this post
November 21 2016, 6:17 PM 

You are right I forgot all about that Mass. card. I collected that set about
2 years ago & that White Mass flag sure was different from the rest. Thanks for
the heads up about one I completely forgot about and that White Flag was no
fluke there were plenty of them out there.

This message has been edited by favag on Nov 21, 2016 6:20 PM

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
November 29 2016, 9:18 PM 

Just had a new submission pop from PSA, including a bunch of T51s. They hammered me on the Look-N-Sees that I submitted. This was a bulk submission logged in exactly a month ago, so it was done in half the time allotted.
Number on front variation:
VG 3 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series 2 Washington & Jefferson
GOOD 2 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series 8 Texas University
POOR 1 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series 9 Pennsylvania State College
POOR 1 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series 13 College of the City of New York
VG+ 3.5 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series 17 Swarthmore College
Still waiting on a 3-card freebie submission for finishing registry sets which has the Michigan card, a 1957 Roberto Clemente, and a 1957 Frank Robinson rookie I bought off the baseball side.

2nd Eds:
VG 3 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Williams College-2nd Ed.
VG-EX+ 4.5 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series University of Michigan-2nd Edition
GOOD 2 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Princeton-2nd Edition
VG 3 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Rutgers College-2nd Edition
VG-EX 4 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series University of Minnesota-2nd Edition
VG-EX 4 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Texas University-2nd Edition
EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series College of the City of New York-2nd Edition
GOOD 2 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Yale-2nd Edition
VG 3 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Alfred University-2nd Edition
VG+ 3.5 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Harvard-2nd Edition
VG+ 3.5 1910 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series State University of Kentucky-2nd Edition

Golf cards: these are some great grades!
EX-MT+ 6.5 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series University of S. Carolina
VG-EX+ 4.5 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Indiana University
NEAR MINT 7 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Purdue University
EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series West Virginia University

Others:
VG-EX 4 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Luther College
VG-EX 4 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Massachusetts Institute of Technology
VG-EX+ 4.5 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Occidental College
VG-EX 4 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Worcester Polytechnic
VG-EX 4 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Lebanon University
VG-EX 4 1909 T51 Murad Cigarettes College Series Hastings College Inst.

Georgia Tech Olympian:
EX-MT 6 1928 Greiling Olympiade-Sieger 34 Ed Hamm w/Out Coupon

1952 Topps Look-N-See
VG-EX+ 4.5 1952 Look 'N See 8 Andrew Jackson
VG-EX 4 1952 Look 'N See 44 Cleopatra
VG 3 1952 Look 'N See 45 Amelia Earhart

T56: PSA still doesn't care if it's Emblem or Hassan back
VG-EX 4 1911 T56 American Tobacco Emblem Series 30 American Legion of Honor
VG+ 3.5 1911 T56 American Tobacco Emblem Series 50 Past High Priest Royal Arch Masons
VG-EX 4 1911 T56 American Tobacco Emblem Series 22 Knights of Maccabees

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
April 29 2017, 10:41 AM 

Been a while since I updated on this set. The #15 on front Michigan did get the EX 5 I was expecting/hoping for. I bought a lot of 8 high grade (5-7s) from DJR collectibles that all had MK designations due to PSA downgrading the factory stamp on the back. I contacted PSA customer service and was given the option to mail the cards back in for reholder and they would remove the MK since it's no longer discounted (original to production). So those cards instantly went from counting as 3,4,5s to counting as 5,6,7s!

I'm now down to only needing like 8 number on front versions of the card, and a Bowdoin 2nd ed in VG/EX or better condition to submit. I will continue upgrading over time. A new T51 seller on eBay started listing a lot of mid-high grades at what I thought were crazy prices, but I see they sold a PSA 6 Bates College (what I would consider a common in mid grade) for $240. WOW! However, if they claim a card is a Top Pop, make sure to check it out, because I've found his listings to be hit or miss with accuracy on the pop report. Or they consider a 6(ST) a 6 instead of a 4, and say it's Top Pop even if there's another 6 or a 5 in the report.

I was hoping Openbinders or another reseller had bought the lot on eBay with high to mid to low grade raw cards that went for $800 since there was a lot of duplication. I just hope to start seeing them get listed soon, or I'll figure that battlefield's heirs bought them and is doctoring the pictures as we speak.

Set Registry Page: two competitors (I think it's the same guy with two sets?)
https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/company-sets/multiple-sports/1909-10-murad-college-series-master-t51/13177

My Master Set Album (uploaded the most recent cards with the new PSA set registry app):
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/misc-sports/company-sets/1909-10-murad-college-series-master-t51/album/187482

Metrics: 96.44% complete according to PSA, but they've got some cards mislabeled in the registry that I'm still hammering out (like PennCollege/Penn State, U of Ill/Ill College, and Central Kentucky vs. Kentucky). So it's actually higher, but I can't update until PSA does some work.

Grade Point Average: Weighted 4.15 (some sports are higher, and # on fronts), With Top Pop Bonuses 4.84
None Higher: 101, with 59 being the 1/1 highest grade.
PSA 8: 2 - Knox College, West Point (both from the Kit Young complete set)
PSA 7: 15
PSA 6.5: 2
PSA 6: 11
PSA 5.5: 11
PSA 5: 24

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
April 30 2017, 7:58 PM 

Picked up the Cornell, Brown, and Williams Number on Front cards today, and got duplicates of numbered Harvard, Dartmouth, and Fordham. So I'm down to just a couple now! Plus the same seller had some upgrades for my other cards that are below VG-EX. Trying to get my min grade on the unnumbered cards (1st and 2nd Eds) to be at least PSA 4. So if anyone else is working on this set and wants to trade, I will do so very favorably.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index