Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

January Pickups

January 2 2015 at 5:45 PM
Todd Riley  (Login non-sport.com)

This all came in today's mail (it really felt like Christmas!)..

Been wanting this and picked it up cheap..
[linked image]

These are swell! Kellogg's printed music on the backs of their cereal I'm guessing in the 1940's. I especially like the classic "Who Threw the Overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?"..
[linked image]

[linked image]

Obscure Weber bread issue. There are supposedly 64 in the set but we only have 7 checklisted. Anyone have any of these that we can add to the checklist?
[linked image]

[linked image]

I love the "pulp" style art on these Merita Bread cards...
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by non-sport.com on Jan 2, 2015 7:14 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

Re: January Pickups

January 2 2015, 6:32 PM 

Thus ends a very long multi-year search to complete the pirate subset of X-Ray round up. I just may decide to work on the rest of this set now.

[linked image]

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

January 2 2015, 9:58 PM 

photo IMG_9505_zpsd2758ab3.jpg
A few random pickups to start my month. The one at the center left is from the Canadian "Home Defence" series. The T58 isn't part of my usual collecting habit...

photo IMG_9506_zps577fd80b.jpg
...but it's difficult to turn down a card previously owned by Jefferson Burdick!

Ken Bush
(Login KenBush)

January 2 2015, 11:57 PM 

Todd,
The Memory Album box backs bring back some fond memories for me. When I was very young,
as my mother was doing the house work she always sang some song, Who threw the Overalls in
Mrs. Murphy's Chowder was one of her favorites. She also sang classics like " Casey Jones",
"The Wreck of the Shenandoah". "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree", "Clementine", and one that
I do not remember the name of but these lines stick in my head, it went " the zipper is a
wonderful thing, what would we do without it, for everything that opens up, the zippers sure
to shut it", plus others that I don't recall.
I have Memory Album back with copyright dates of 1936, 1937, 1939 and 1940.

Bill
(Login wdmullins)

January 3 2015, 2:52 AM 

Todd -- the "pulp style" art on the Lone Ranger cards is probably the front covers of Lone Ranger comics from Dell in the 1950s.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

January 3 2015, 8:29 AM 

Ken,
Great story about your mom. I had never heard of that song before and showed it to my kids who thought it was very funny. My wife plays the piano and I asked her to play it for me (she played all of them actually). I told her it was the first time our hobbies crossed over. The newest copyright date on this group is 1946. I would love any numbers with their titles you might have that are not pictured above for the checklist.

Bill,
You are right. They reproduce the covers from the Dell comics. But that painted style originated with the pulps. Here is one of the pulps I was talking about.

Ken Bush
(Login KenBush)

January 3 2015, 5:28 PM 

Todd,
I have the following Memory Album box backs that you do show.

#1 - Oh! Susanna
#2 - Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair
#6 - Carry Me Back To Old Virginny
#8 - When You And I Were Young, Maggie
#9 - I've Been Working On The Railroad
#13 - Sweet Genevieve

I do not have 3 of the boxes that you show, including " Who Threw The Overalls In Mrs.
Murphy's Chowder".

johnM
(Login dublin6)

Mrs. Murphy's Chowder

January 3 2015, 11:31 PM 

Ken: I Downloaded from Ebay Mrs. murphy's Chowder Kellog's Box Back. Just Now. Bidding ended, but could download image. I Can send Email, or Send to Dan To send to You. I'm Not familiar with posting images here.
JohnM

Greg Galliger
(Login GGterps)

Great start to the new year

January 4 2015, 9:20 AM 

Many of these cards were purchased from Alan M - Thanks Alan!

Love the images on these T cards

[linked image]

My first Keen Chiller Club cards

[linked image]

Arm & Hammer, more N & T

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

The backs of these bread cards are interesting

[linked image]
[linked image]

30's cards

[linked image]

Hard to find Piedmont Art Stamps

[linked image]
[linked image]

These are 1906 Game of Maud cards from a newspaper supplement

[linked image]

White's Bakery Life of G. Washington Booklet features all 32 cards (in COLOR). I have one of these cards but the card is black & white

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

cliff
(Login Marslife)

JANUARY PICKUPS

January 4 2015, 1:01 PM 

Found my first mis-cut in the T73 Indian Life series. confirms side by side multiple prints per printing sheet. also scored my first T73 US Marine back (thanks Jeff!)!

Cliff

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login KenBush)

January 4 2015, 5:11 PM 

Thanks John, but I have the image of Mrs. Murphy's Chowder, so it is not needed.
The box back is.
Ken

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

January 4 2015, 6:54 PM 

Ken,
The only dupe I have is #20. Let me know if you need that one.

Greg,
Fun stuff as usual! Those are interesting bread backs. I have not seen those before. I also really like your Washington booklet.

Cliff,
Pretty neat to see proof on those Indians.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

January 4 2015, 7:02 PM 

Weekend pickups....

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I had not seen this one before. I thought it was cool!
[linked image]

These are my favorite pickups. They measure 10 x 13.5 inches and are printed on heavy card stock and are die-cut. The extra piece is paper and has the story of the character on the back. They were designed to be punched out and attached to an empty can of the cleanser. The paper piece was then draped over the can body to complete the toy.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Sadly, the guy only had 3 of the 4 in the set - but they are real beauties!

I found this info on the patent which dates it around 1936.

This message has been edited by non-sport.com on Jan 4, 2015 7:51 PM

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

January Pick-ups

January 5 2015, 2:03 AM 

Todd, love the Kitchen Klenzer Circus cards. Maybe the next guy will have the full set and I can take the unfortunate three off your hands. All around great pick-ups. - Jack J.

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

January 5 2015, 11:26 AM 

@Greg G...........love those Omegas and the Piedmont Stamps. Try to find those on ebay when I can but they are rarely there. I've got 15-20 of each of those from the 5-6 different sets and always try to add some when I can find them. The Chesterfield stamps must be incredibly difficult to find.

Roger
(Login clarkscardsvt)

January 5 2015, 12:10 PM 

Part of a lot of paper that came with some tobacco and Arbuckle cards. [linked image]
[linked image] [linked image]

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

January 5 2015, 10:37 PM 

photo IMG_9516_zps179c11eb.jpg
The Shredded Wheat cards are yard sale quarter box pickups (now I know how Todd Riley must feel!). The monster card is courtesy of Daniel H. (thanks again!), and the Captain Nice is a type card I finally talked myself into buying.

photo IMG_9515_zps0ef5d89a.jpg
This machine is in worse condition and missing more parts than I realized when I bought it, but I'm still glad I did. I've been able to get both coin slots working; maybe someday I can afford to have it professionally restored. There's no doubt it's original; when I took it out of the box it was shipped in and sat it on the carpet to take this picture, a 1950 wheat penny rolled out!

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

January 5 2015, 10:37 PM 

Sorry, folks, double post. The moose out front should have told ya.

This message has been edited by a71678 on Jan 5, 2015 10:40 PM

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

January 6 2015, 1:24 PM 

Jason, I was watching that one online but forgot to bid. The machine is called the "Ideal".

[linked image]

You got a very good price. That header is probably worth more than the machine itself, so take care removing it from the machine front. If you want to email me I can give you some tips on what to do if you feel like tackling the restoration yourself. I redid one of them a few years ago and it came out great:

Before:

[linked image]

After:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by boxingcardman on Jan 6, 2015 1:26 PM

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

January 6 2015, 3:30 PM 

Thanks for the info.! In as bad a condition as the header is, it's hard to believe it's worth anything, let alone more than the machine itself, but then I'm far from being an expert on Exhibit Supply stuff. I've already pulled it out twice, once to see if there were any more wheat pennies hiding behind it (nada) and again, after I had put it back in for the photo, to loosen up the one seized coin slot with WD-40. It's currently sitting in an Ultra Pro sleeve on top of my binders. I searched eBay and some other sites for some of the jigsaw cards its advertises, but came up empty.

My biggest restoration obstacle besides missing parts are some dents along the back of the top piece that aren't too visible in the photo I posted. The seller advertised it as having most of its original paint, but the paint on the top appears to have brush strokes in it, and it seems a little thick on the front in the cavities of the letters that have indentations in them (like the middle of the "O"s and "D"), so I have some doubts. There also are a couple small spots on one side where the paint is flaking off and a light green coat is visible underneath, though that could have just been primer. Missing parts, from what I've been able to tell so far, include the entire back, including locking mechanism (which I knew when I bought it), card weights, coin box, front glass and a metal frame that apparently went around said glass.

Yours came out beautifully. I'd love to hear how you did it, if you'd like to email me (pieman79 at hotmail dot com).

This message has been edited by a71678 on Jan 6, 2015 3:44 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>