Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

December 2015 Pickups

December 2 2015 at 10:39 PM
No score for this post
Eric B  (Login egbeachley)

First new (not upgrade) addition to my N224 set in over 6 years. Very glad to acquire these. 614 down, 8 more to go.

[linked image] [linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

WOW............

No score for this post
December 3 2015, 8:15 AM 

did you go LARGE on that lot from Heritage? Or pick them up subsequently some how? VERY NICE.................

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

Re: December 2015 Pickups

No score for this post
December 3 2015, 9:01 PM 

Hokey smokes Eric! That's awesome. At the rate of two every six years you will be done in twenty-four more years! That's a great challenge!

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
December 3 2015, 11:05 PM 

Mr. Eric;
You and I have vastly different opinions and ideas but aside from that I am VERY happy for you!
Wow!, Closing in on a set so massive takes heart.
I salute you sir and look forward to see you crossing the Kinney finish line in the near future.

Nice pick up. Its what our hobby is all about. cool.

CR

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
December 5 2015, 4:18 PM 

Nicely done Eric!

Recent acquisitions...

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Weekend pickups...

Ken, do you have any of these puzzles? It says there are 20 in the set and the bag has a #50 on it.
[linked image]

[linked image]

These were surprisingly clean...
[linked image]

Eric B
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
December 5 2015, 8:38 PM 

Thanks for your kind words Charley.

Daniel, Tom, Todd, this is a long-term project for sure. Nobody has ever completed this set since, by my tracking over the last dozen years, 12 cards have 5 or fewer copies known. I'm sure there are a few more but there are some private collections without any activity in decades. The closest anyone has come is the former collection of Sir Edward Wharton-Tigar who has donated his to the British Museum. He was missing the Huzzar card shown above.

Below is a quick bibliogray of Sir Wharton-Tigar. He was the Research Editor and/or President of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain (publishing the World Index) from 1948 until his death in 1995. If there was a Mt Rushmore for the hobby, it would be him and Jefferson Burdick and then maybe nobody else.

Edward Wharton-Tigar was a decorated World War II spy, saboteur and prominent mining executive and was also recognised by the Guinness Book of World Records for amassing over two million cigarette cards - the world's largest collection, now bequeathed to the British Museum.

He worked for a London-based international mining company, Selection Trust, in Yugoslavia before joining the Special Operations Executive. He planned and carried out a daring act of sabotage by destroying, whilst working undercover, a cliffside house in Tangier, Morocco, from which Germans had been using infrared equipment to track vessels passing through the Strait of Gibraltar and had been providing information to German submarines.[3] The operation was a resounding success, with two U-boats being pin-pointed and sunk by the Royal Navy as a result. Later, while still working for the SOE, Wharton-Tigar organized black-market trading in currencies, jewels and other valuables in Asia on an unprecedented scale, financing much of the Allied cause in that part of the world.[1]

After the war, he rejoined Selection Trust and as managing director for 11 years, the Times of London reported, he quadrupled the value of its international interests, before its eventual sale to BP.

ted
(Login favag)

Congrats

No score for this post
December 5 2015, 10:28 PM 

& Good Luck Eric. Anytime you even come close to finishing a 19th century set it
is something to be proud of. I hope you find them sooner than later. tm

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

December Pick-ups

No score for this post
December 7 2015, 2:50 PM 

Just a couple of items. Love the Clarabell Blue Bonnet box, thanks Jerry. The Davy Crocket labels are of a higher number than the 12 previously thought in the set. The Mickey Mouse wrapper is (I believe) from Manila and is unauthorized. It is very similar to the Gum Inc. wrapper of the 30's. - Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

No score for this post
December 10 2015, 3:41 PM 

tm
(Login favag)

WOW

No score for this post
December 10 2015, 10:20 PM 

Tom - Very Nice
They are so clean they should have their own page! tm

This message has been edited by favag on Dec 10, 2015 10:24 PM

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
December 11 2015, 12:32 AM 

The Sealcraft and the Minute Biographies are upgrades. My Paul revere was creased pretty heavily so I was happy to pick these up. Love adding Novel package cards to my collection; this is my fifth of the year. Up to two-thirds of the General Gum Funnies set now. The HOW is a "Last page" upgrade. I just picked up the R155 Magic Cards; they were new images for the gallery. Down to needing only five Bowman Antique Autos.

[linked image]

A pretty varied grouping here. Three League of Nations in clean shape. I'm not really working on the R3 Leader set but when the price is right I can't pass them up. Down to needing only one to finish my R1 Action Gum set. One Lone Ranger upgrade and one new addition for my set. Picked up a total of five Mothers Cookies Sports Cars cards this year; getting there. A decent HOW overstamp card.

[linked image]

These are all upgrades for my I'm Going to Be set.

[linked image]

Five that I needed for my Skybirds set; love this set.

[linked image]

Dare Devils has always been one of my favorite sets; I'm not sure why I never started it before this year. My first Don't Let it Happen Over Here card.

[linked image]

I picked up a grouping of four IG wrappers and some bill heads. These are the best examples form the group.

[linked image]

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Fantastic........

No score for this post
December 11 2015, 10:24 AM 

Fantastic haul Daniel............some eclectic stuff here..........

N60 Our Little Beuaties of Henry Ward Beecher. Haven't seen many non-actress cards in this set.....glad to get this one..........

[linked image]

A group of Liquid Glue 'cards'. Paper thin and very tough. Tried winning the other larger lot of these as well but there was a John L Sullivan boxer card in there so the lot went 3X what this one did.

[linked image]

R22 Chief Wahoo 'matchbook'. My third from this tough military set.

[linked image]

Couple of Pepsin Pin lots at good prices......

[linked image]

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

December Pick-ups

No score for this post
December 11 2015, 5:24 PM 

What I lack in volume and quality, I make up for in obscurity. Here are two small, early bread cards, a D28 "European War Flip Card", and a D45 "How To Do It" Card. I really like the lithography of the D28. Does anyone else have any of these cards? I'd love to see them. - Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Gary
(Login jeromebelasco)

yesterdays pickups

No score for this post
December 13 2015, 6:13 AM 

from a small fair near London
[linked image]
[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
December 13 2015, 1:12 PM 

Looks like everyone is getting some pretty killer stuff this month!

A few recent scraps...

[linked image]

[linked image]

Ron
(Login madmoney1)

& the material KEEPS coming :-)

No score for this post
December 13 2015, 1:29 PM 

Some great finds.
Tom: can you post the names of the glue cards?? there are a few that I don't recognize. I have around 60. Are there any duplicates?

Gary: a nice mix

Todd: like the Singer Yosemite

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 6:44 PM 

Ron,

I do like those things. I wonder how long they issued them? I starting to find lots of back variations on the sets.

Recent pickups...

[linked image]

[linked image]

60's-70's Cracker Jack...
[linked image]

I thought these were cool!
[linked image]

David M
(Login GasHouseGang)

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 6:57 PM 

I found this in a little antique shop. It shows a date of 1950 and appears to be made in Italy. Anyone seen this before?

[linked image]

[linked image]

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 8:42 PM 

Was going to wait to post again as I have a few more cards coming in but I was so excited to receive this card that I thought I'd go ahead and post it. This is card #4 from the R722-7 Novel Super Circus card. In and of itself not such a big deal but it puts me at a total of 11 out of the possible 12 now. I just almost never see these Super Circus cards. This is a great pick up for me.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Ron
(Login madmoney1)

Perfume company

Score 5.0 (1 person)
December 14 2015, 11:01 PM 

I'd guess that's what it could be?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index