Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

early tobacco packs

January 13 2016 at 2:07 PM

mr moses  (Login 1880snonsports)

packing up my stuff and I figure someone might enjoy seeing them. This is the first scan - one featuring unopened packs and packages - I'll post a few more categories including more specifically card and silk related packs today/tomorrow as I get each wave ready for a box. The Camel cardboard box is rare. Bought on eBay in the early days. It came from a package of four never delivered to a serviceman in WW2. I hope it was because he was too busy as he ws on his way home.
I suppose an unopened pack (especially without the specter of an uncashed lottery ticket by way of an unknown star) is essentially the same as one with some of it's contents or one that's empty. I like them that way because they're closest to their original state. I have paid a premium for iconic brands in such a state - I'll post them later as I get to them.
At this point I'm only picking up packs with a direct correlation to the inserts unless they display some amazing characteristic that begs it's way into the fold.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ted
(Login favag)

nice stuff Henry

January 13 2016, 3:38 PM 

the majority I have never seen before, which surprises me with all the time I spend on the bay. The "Brownie"
is very unique. What year would you give it? If you get a chance could you take another shot of the Ginters, I would
like to read the packaging. What year would you put on each of those? Being mainly a 19th cent card collector I find
those very interesting. I noticed all of these packs are in great condition, congrats on finding
them in that state which must be difficult! Surprised at No unique packs of Duke Cameo or Cross Cut, maybe in the next set
of pictures? Thanks again. tm

Please if you get a spare second another shot of the Ginters that you can see.

This message has been edited by favag on Feb 1, 2016 8:42 PM

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

second and third waves

January 13 2016, 8:18 PM 

many Ginters and N card related packs - first pic mostly empty packs while in the second pic most are full and many sealed. I sold quite a few of my best packs like Qypsy Queen, Polar Bear, T.T.T., Ramleh, Broadleaf and others heralded primarily in the baseball world. I couldn't really afford to keep them. I subsequently re-acquired some packs - some remain elusive. Still some tough packs - my best the full round early Ginter but the Gold Clip and American Beauty are great graphically. The third pic shows 4 rare unopened tins, an 1800 stuffed cat still sealed with tobacco, and my oddest actual tobacco item - an unused snuff ball.

RDwyer
(Login R.Dwyer)

Re: early tobacco packs

January 14 2016, 12:25 PM 

Mr. Moses: Would you sell any of the duplicates you have? I'd be interested, if the prices were right.

This message has been edited by R.Dwyer on Jan 14, 2016 1:32 PM

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

no real duplicates

January 14 2016, 1:29 PM 

other than a few non-card related sealed packs like chesterfield and reyno. As I know the packs of the T206's are an interest of yours I suppose if there was a single pack you had to have to complete some sort of display - I might be inclined to sell or trade for it. Otherwise likely the packs you're interested in are for the moment entrenched. I've tried to position myself so as not to have duplication. Occasionally I'll buy to upgrade or to procure trade bait. The secret to finding packs is doing "paper" and antique shows. I've been "bland locked" for the most part here in florida - most only opportunities are the same places everyone else is looking. Wish I was still going to the auctions, show venues, and shops in PA happy.gif

Ted - I'll get to it.

Bruce Sellers
(Login besellers)

Awesome

January 14 2016, 1:30 PM 

I always appreciate seeing images like these. It's unreal to think that these are still around after all these years. I am searching for a Richmond Straight Cut Cigarette pack for the N11 Allen & Ginter Flags of the States AND/OR S23 College Flag, Seal, Song. I think the N14 General Government and Buildings & State may have been distributed in these packs, too, but I'm not 100% sure?

Really cool.

RDwyer
(Login R.Dwyer)

January 14 2016, 1:31 PM 

Mr. Moses. Shoot me an email, and I'll give you my phone number to call.

richarddwyer at sbcglobal dot net

Here are my boxes:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by R.Dwyer on Jan 14, 2016 1:51 PM

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

little busy

January 14 2016, 1:52 PM 

and it would require some further thought but likely the N card you mention would have been in one of the slide and shell packs featured in my second pic top right. The S23's would be in one of the clam shell's on the right. It would need to be the allen & ginter WITH the liggett and myers successor although the one with only liggett and myers could be right as well. The one with only A&G would be before the formation of the ATC. Can't get the specific dates for when the box would have only the L&M without some research. Also, the silks might have been distributed as late as 1915 depending on stock although most likely the S23's were issued earlier - more toward 1912.

no guarantees whether written or implied.

Richard - when I can "-)

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

very nice Richard

January 14 2016, 2:04 PM 

reminds me I need to replace my Old Mill happy.gif One of the only posters I'm still pining for is the woman holding the Old Mill pack. I think you've seen my Old Mill store display? I'll post a few pix.
You have managed to get a nice amount of quality packs. The American Beauty one of my favorites although no insert possible. Reminds me of a GAI sealed sweet caporal pack (graded it at a national) that I listed last year on eBay. I put 4 separate times in BOLD letters in my description that the pack COULDN'T contain a card based on available to all research. Didn't stop 2 bidders going above 2000.00!! It was the last pack from a carton I bought in 2000. Feast or famine. In any event - my email Hmoses2 at Comcast dot net

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

Old Mill

January 14 2016, 2:19 PM 

I imagine the first two pieces were part of a window display. Note that every person is smoking!

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

don't think any of my posts

January 14 2016, 6:00 PM 

in the past 8(?) years here have resulted in 3 email solicitations to buy something I have shown! Good to know that I'm at least not an island..........

ted
(Login favag)

Make that 4!

January 14 2016, 6:53 PM 

No I would not ask you to break up your collection, it is too nice. What I like is the High
Quality of every pack. It is like cards once you get a taste of the high grade it is tough to go back
or we are always looking to get a better one. Your variety is amazing. May I ask, when was
the last time you were able to purchase a pack for your collection? Have you had them all for a while? tm

Cliff
(Login Marslife)

Next Gen Boxes

January 15 2016, 10:04 AM 

Nice Boxes Fellas!

Figured I'd represent for the "Lowly" T Card guys! I have gathered a few to display with my T sets:

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

Cliff

January 15 2016, 10:10 AM 

nice. Never seen the Oxford before. All books packed - what T issue associated with it?

Cliff
(Login Marslife)

Khedivial Co. T28 & T96

January 15 2016, 10:23 AM 

Thanks! cool stuff...

Khedivial supplied the:

T28 Aeroplanes and T96 Dogs (both series found with Milo, Oxford and Duke of York backs). I believe they did some boxing sets as well?

I like these two sets as there are only 10 cards in each series happy.gif the Oxford and Duke of York backs are tougher to find.

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

I seem to remember

January 15 2016, 11:09 AM 

the boxing cards now that you mention it. Thanks. While I don't chase T cards anymore - having the packs is still neat. Recently I have as little luck with either happy.gif After determining what box goes with what card (or s,l,r) - the hardest part is getting a matching box with a date attribution falling within the correct time-frame. Lacking that - we do what we can to get it as relevant as possible.

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

January 15 2016, 11:26 AM 

Boxing set is T225 I believe.

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

memory jogged Oxford

January 15 2016, 2:41 PM 

they also issued an uncatalogued college silk hiding in my silk type collection somewhere..

cliff
(Login Marslife)

Milo Petite!

January 30 2016, 12:18 PM 

awesome new addition!

correct factory and time frame for cards, but too small to hold one! nice little padded top box with tiny cigs!

Cliff

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>