Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

eBay Rant

January 24 2016 at 11:58 PM
Jason R.  (Login a71678)

While I was on vacation this past week, a nice seller listed eight (eight!) extremely rare R141 Solders of the World types. I couldn't wait to come home and bid on them all, with the hopes of winning at least one for my collection.

Except I just logged in to bid and discovered that all eight (eight!) auctions have been ended by the seller because they've been "sold" before the auctions ended.

I sincerely hope eBay bans this seller for life.

They'll probably give the seller an eBay Bucks bonus and 900 free listings instead.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken Bush
(Login KenBush)

Re: eBay Rant

January 25 2016, 1:10 AM 

It has happened to me several times. It seems to be the norm on ebay, when
something really good goes up for auction, some buyer contacts the seller
and convinces them to sell it to them.
When I was selling on ebay I was contacted several times and asked to end
the auction early and sell it to them. I always refused. In one of my auction
the item actually sold for less than I was offered to end the auction early,
but I still think I did the right thing.
Ken

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

January 25 2016, 8:55 AM 

I was watching them as well. After the auctions were ended I sent the seller an e-mail stating what I was willing to pay. Just received that they will all be relisted later tonight.

You are welcome.

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

January 25 2016, 9:57 AM 

Thanks, Daniel. I did the same thing last night. Interesting that they were "ended because the items were sold" but apparently are still for sale if the price is right....

Ken, I agree that you did the right thing by letting the auction run its course. Of course, I've seen unscrupulous things happen at live auctions, as well. My father once was very excited to bid on some century-old newspapers at a live auction. As he was looking through them during the preview, someone else who was doing the same thing called the auctioneer over to let him know there was an article about the auctioneer's father in one of the papers. The auctioneer immediately pulled the stack from the auction because he wanted that paper. My father knew the auctioneer and one of the people from the estate holding the auction, and complained to both of them. Ultimately, the auctioneer agreed to sell my father one of the papers (he was really only interested in one, anyway) and keep the rest, and gave the estate owners some song and dance about why it was to their "benefit" to do things that way.

That was the last one of his auctions my father attended.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>