Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Friday afternoon smile

February 19 2016 at 7:07 PM
Bill Bengen  (Login billbengen)

Hi all,

One of the latest creations from the talented Bob Lemke, this a fantasy extrapolation of the 1956 Topps Flags of the World series, card #84, Scotland:

[linked image]

Hope you enjoyed the surprising background art as much as I did. I always enjoyed this series, although it lacked humor- until now!

Best in collecting, Bill Benge

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login Monsterwax)

Re: Friday afternoon smile

February 20 2016, 1:36 AM 

Oh my goodness, are those men wearing skirts and carrying purses? (That LGBT thing is really on the roll!) wink.gif

Bill Bengen
(Login billbengen)

???????????????????

February 20 2016, 6:28 PM 

This is not what I had in mind when I posted! It's not the guys in drag I think are funny, it is the sea monster! See?(smiley face) Oy!!!

Best, Bill Bengen

Martin Murray
(Login martininradlett)

Re: Friday afternoon smile

February 21 2016, 11:49 AM 

Gentlemen, I fear that you have completely misunderstood this card. The creature in the front is meant to represent the Loch Ness Monster, which is a fictional animal reputed to inhabit the lake of that name.
The figures on the right are almost certainly soldiers of the 42nd Highland Regiment (The Black Watch), as depicted in Kinney N224 No. 330. The traditional uniform includes the kilt, which is woven in colours (tartan) that indicate the clan to which the wearer belongs. It is still worn to-day, such as by the Royal Family at traditional gatherings. And no, there is nothing worn underneath it!
Martin Murray

Bill Bengen
(Login billbengen)

Helpful clarification

February 21 2016, 1:35 PM 

Thanks, Martin, for the helpful clarification. It seems to make sense that if Nessie goes naked underneath, the 42nd should be able to do so as well.

Best in collecting, Bill Bengen

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>