Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

WRAPPER

August 16 2016 at 10:19 AM
No score for this post
MARTY KRIM  (Login 030190)

Does anyone have a sample of the COLORED ADVENTURE BOOKLET that came inside ??

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Wrapper

No score for this post
August 16 2016, 12:32 PM 

Marty - Next time you mock up a fake wrapper to drive us wrapper enthusiasts crazy, at least spell "GRAMS" right! It's a real beauty. Make me one. - Jack J.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
MARTY KRIM
(Login 030190)

NICE CATCH JACK

No score for this post
August 16 2016, 2:16 PM 

You did it again Jack..

I never saw the mis-spelling of the word GRAM...otherwise I would have told the Printer to change it !!

You also spotted the differences in the I SPY WRAPPER which was great as now I have two different ones - and I would have never looked without your Sherlock capabilities..

Still have not located your TERRIFIC Action Gum Wrapper in BLUE !!

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Wrapper

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 12:32 AM 

Now all I need to find is a Do And Dare wrapper with GRAM spelled correctly and we'll have a variation. My comment about it being fake was clearly born of jealousy. That's one great and obscure wrapper. I have no clue about booklets of the same title or any by Walter Johnson. - Jack J.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Wrapper

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 12:00 PM 

Ok, here's a guess on the "booklet" that came inside this wrapper.

The R28 Cartoon Adventures is a set of strip cards with cartoon characters as the subject. There are 8 Tailspin Tommys, 8 Tarzans, 8 Bronco Bills, and 24 Buck Rogers. Assuming the Buck Rogers cards are three strips of eight, that makes six strips of 8 cards. Each strip of 8 has a portrait card at the front. What if these perforated strips were accordioned into booklets and placed in this "Do and Dare" wrapper? The descriptive "Colored Adventure Book" would certainly apply. The cards are rare, as is this wrapper. This may have been a "test" for Walter Johnson before the company produced the Dick Tracy set. I think this is at least as likely as that there are Do and Dare booklets out there that the hobby has not found. -Jack J.

Just thought about the similarity with the Commando Rangers strip cards and the associated wrapper. Funny that the Commandos wrapper was produced by a candy company in Oak Park, Illinois, spitting distance from Chicago where the Walter H. Johnson company did business. -JJ

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack on Aug 17, 2016 12:09 PM

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

Re: WRAPPER

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 12:15 PM 

Interesting idea Jack!

How about this one:

R25 Thrilling Stories. These are booklets. No-one has seen a wrapper. It is comic strip based (like the Dick Tracy cards). The wrapper and booklets go well together, as in "Thrilling Stories of Do and Dare". It would also explain why no wrapper has been seen for the one and no booklets for the other since the titles don't match. Plus there are other similarities in font, etc. Look at the backs. Both say "This is one of a series of":

15720.jpg41166.JPG

Gordon Jump
(Login oldbubblegum)

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 1:18 PM 

2 good guesses...here in 2016...Non Sport unanswered questions remain.
Can't say that about most other hobbies.
Viva Non Sports!

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Do and Dare

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 2:13 PM 

Todd - I like your guess better than mine, but the "This is one of a series of..." reason is a bit weak. Probably half the non-strip and 3/4 of the strip cards from the 1930's use those words on the back. -Jack J.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 2:57 PM 

Jack, granted a bit weak (that was why it was last). However, looking at the line is is very similar font, placement, etc. and it is present on both cards. I'm sure there are quite a few 30's cards that DON'T say that as well.

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 3:12 PM 

Looks like a Tom Mix and Tony spin off. Probably same size.
They're out there waiting for us.

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
March 4 2017, 5:42 PM 

Another cat chasing a dog
[linked image]
Has anyone come across a fortune teller card from Shotwell?

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Wrapper

No score for this post
March 4 2017, 11:12 PM 

Oh my aching ***!!! What you guys do to this underfunded, unconnected, unlucky wrapper collector? That's a beautiful wrapper with great graphics, Jim. None of my Shotwell reference lists the San Francisco manufacturing location. I don't know that this means anything, just an observation. Thanks for sharing. I have no idea about Fortune Teller cards that would go with this wrapper. - Jack J.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index