Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

new T222 actor card discovered

September 30 2016 at 8:31 PM
No score for this post
Bill C  (Login bill.cornell)
from IP address 50.136.255.225

Contradicting my certainty that you never see anything new, Andy Madec has listed on eBay (link) a previously unknown T222 Fatima card of the actor J. Warren Kerrigan (his IMDb bio is worth the read). The count of T222 actors & actresses had been stuck at 7 for a long time, but we now have #8. These cards are ridiculously scarce and, unfortunately, Madec knows that and chose to price the card at $1200, so it'll be available for viewing on eBay for the next decade or so. In any case, very cool find.

[linked image] [linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Joe Gonsowski
(Login Joe_G..)

Re: new T222 actor card discovered

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 10:26 AM 

My first post on Non-Sports side happy.gif

Great card Bill, agree that the price is a bit absurd, but someone took it! I gained a deeper appreciation for the actors as I tried to acquire a couple for a friend. Very tough indeed, some of them may be unique.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Bill C
(Login bill.cornell)

T222 Kerrigan

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 12:45 PM 

Yep, it was sold only moments after I posted. I wrongly figured there was no demand for an actor card at that price, but someone wanted it.

I have all of the baseball and track & field cards in the set, but have only been able to acquire 4 of the actors & actresses (Panzer, Sindelar, Baggot, Wilbur). The others are Florence Lawrence (seen only once, on eBay in 2005), Della Connor, Ethel Grandin and now J. Warren Kerrigan. Keith O'Leary once had a bunch of them and he may still. Dan's T222 gallery shows 5 of them.

Bill

Claude Emond
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 1:19 PM 

Welcome on board gentlemen, just a quick note to let you that on this side of the trading community, posting a live auction link (eBay, to name it) is frown upon, not a hard rule per see but more of a gentlemen agreement that most (all) of the people here adhere too.

On a personal note I'm glad you posted it, I'll add the card to my website.

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 3:40 PM 

Didn't sounds like a live auction, I thought reading the initial post it was a Buy-It-Now. I have no problem posting those, because whoever happens to see it first gets it if they want it.

Anonymous
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 3:51 PM 

Great post! Love these kind and nice job providing a fantastic full-sized picture, front and back.

Claude, I think showing BINs are encouraged as it gives the Net54 members a heads-up in case they want to buy it.

Anonymous
(Login flubadub)

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 5:16 PM 

I think P.T. Barnum had the answer as to why someone would pay such an idiotic price for that card. "There's a sucker born every minute".

Anonymous
(Login Gamebits)

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 6:32 PM 

@ flubadub
And that can be said by any non collector to anyone of us here.

And I guess you guys are right regarding a BIN vs a live auction unless you are in the process of working a deal (also known as a best offer) with the seller.

Anonymous
(Login flubadub)

Score 1.0 (1 person)
October 1 2016, 9:32 PM 

And who says I don't collect? I think my collection would stand up pretty well with other board members collections. I said it before, just because
something is rare doesn't mean it's worth big $ or even any $. I'd like to know who else would pay that kind of money for that card on this board. Not only that, I have a Masters degree in card valuations from Trump University so I know what I'm talk'n bout. And not "outing" auctions but it's ok to out BINS? Don't get me started.

Dan C
(Login D.Calandriello)

current T222 file

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 9:50 PM 

Anonymous
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
October 1 2016, 10:20 PM 

If I was collecting that set, I would have overpaid to grab a new find. Not sure I'd go $1,200 but certainly 1/2 that. But if I had the money, I would have grabbed it in a second because I would regret not grabbing it for years.

Bill
(Login Billyo9999)

Missing

No score for this post
October 2 2016, 7:35 AM 

I've seen checklists that have a Photoplay Star named Florence Lawrence, but have not seen an image.

Regarding the 2 missing images in the Gallery:

Here is a link to a BIN for McGrath, Shot Put.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-T222-FATIMA-CIGARETTES-MATT-MCGRATH-SHOT-PUT-SGC-60-OLYMPICS-LIGGETT-MYERS-/351832282143?hash=item51ead6941f:g:cHMAAOSwUV9Wm-4X

Here is a link to a BIN for Crane Wilbur - Photoplay Star.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-T222-FATIMA-CIGARETTES-CRANE-WILBUR-SGC-40-VG-PHOTOPLAY-STARS-LIGGETT-MYERS-/351860311922?hash=item51ec824772:g:504AAOSw-zxWm~Xx

Autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Wow.

No score for this post
October 2 2016, 9:55 AM 

Wow. Just wow. Super strong price......

I have a single example that has a small clip missing. I miscalculated on buying 3 of the track stars that I think Bill subsequently bought. They are scarce though.

Dan C
(Login D.Calandriello)

and so........

No score for this post
October 2 2016, 12:02 PM 

Robert T Mruczek
(Login RMruczek)

No score for this post
October 2 2016, 7:04 PM 

Hello everyone:

I've been collecting non-sports since 1977...longer than some, less than others. Over the decades I've come across more opportunities than I can recall where an extremely rare albeit "over-priced" card or wrapper was available.

The one thing I've learned to regret in the hobby is regret itself.

Back in the 1980's I had the opportunity to purchase a then-outrageously priced "Mars Attacks" checklist, mint and unchecked, for $110 including P/H, back when the card was trading in the $50's at best. I also had the opportunity to purchase a wrapper from the set cut from a roll for $100 and it was as mint as mint can be.

I purchased both as it was next to impossible to find them in that condition, and subsequently sold them years later...at a modest profit when I left the hobby.

Back then I felt as I do now that when a card, wrapper or set is so exceptionally rare that you may see one at most once or twice a decade (if at all), why set yourself up for a situation where years down the line you regret passing that up...especially when the price is likely going to be much higher.

Some of what we collect is 80, 90 and even 100 or more years old. Specimens are scare and quality specimens even scarcer. But when a true rarity is encountered...a high grade "Sea Raider" map card or a set of near-perfect "Rat Patrol" rings...sometimes paying double or even triple the "market value" is something that years later you will never regret doing. It's a judgment call and one based on resources of course, but the market we work in is one of very, very limited supply for certain items. SO when they come up...it may be a difficult pill to swallow to pay a multiple, but the odds of seeing certain items again are very, very miniscule.

Robert

MARTY KRIM
(Login 030190)

OVERPRICED

No score for this post
October 2 2016, 8:38 PM 

Hello Robert and thanks for your message..

I could not agree with you more - well I could, but I won't..

My only regrets in collecting are those items I passed on (when I refused to pay just a bit more, at that time)..

This is why when Debby asked me to marry her, I agreed...Overpriced but no regrets..

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
October 2 2016, 8:41 PM 

Since the other question was dropped, there are 52 cards in the baseball set, so that would leave 48 cards available for either track athletes or actors, or even slight possibility of unknown baseball subjects. That's not to say they had to have made all 100 cards...since many other brands printed fewer than were originally planned.

Bill C
(Login bill.cornell)

Florence Lawrence

No score for this post
October 3 2016, 12:44 PM 

Here's a photo of the T222 Florence Lawrence. The card was on eBay more than 10 years ago; I don't remember who sold it or what it went for, only that I didn't win. I haven't seen another since then.

I doubt there are any more track & field cards to be found since the same 4 have been found many times. But, maybe there are a few more actors & actresses... the Kerrigan card provides hope.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by bill.cornell from IP address 50.136.255.225 on Oct 3, 2016 1:00 PM

Dan C
(Login D.Calandriello)

added - Florence Lawrence

No score for this post
October 3 2016, 1:26 PM 

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index