Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Jeff Shep
(Login jeffshep77)

Re: The Toughest Non-Sports Cards to Find

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 11:14 PM 

Good thread - and great hearing the history of transactions. I (through several transactions) ended up with the bulk of John Neuner's Bazooka Joe comics, among others. He was a massive collector from what I gather - multiples all around. The bulk of my best material probably originates from him and will never be duplicated. He definitely tapped into the Woody Gelman archives, most likely through his son Richard. Rare obscure 1940's Topps stuff that all had a tinge of amber glue from a scrapbook years ago depleted. Oh to have those books complete... At any rate, after nearly 3 decades of collecting, there's a good portion of material that originated from John that I've never seen offered again. 50-75 Honus Wagners? We'll call that scarce, not rare.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Robert T Mruczek
(Login RMruczek)

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 2:06 AM 

Sal always seemed to have the toughest wrappers...never met him, however. I did get to meet John Neuner on multiple occasions back in the 1984-1987 range !!He would show up at the oil company that I worked for in Park Slope, Brooklyn at the time and deliver my purchases in person. Great guy. He sold me a set of "Crusader Rabbit" among others which I regret selling years later.

I wonder if any of you purchased one of his Empire State Building light bulbs ?

As for someone mentioning the multiple categories of expensive wrappers that show up from time to time, citing "Mars Attacks", I have one anecdote to share.

In 1987 and prior someone named Ken Caviness took out a wrapper ad and was selling "Mars Attacks" wrappers for $100 apiece. I spoke with Ken and found out that he had what he described as a "roll" of these. When I received the wrapper from him it was crease-free...I never saw anything like it, and apparently he had something like 20 remaining at the time. So this wrapper in high grade is out there, just a matter of whether the original purchasers ever decide to sell. In my case I sold to Tom Garcia along with my entire wrapper collection at the time back in late 1987, one of those major "collection regrets" that we have over the years.

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 7:33 AM 

I never bought a light bulb from him, but I did purchase the copyright to his
"Checklist & Prices of U.S. Non-Sport Wrappers"
I planned to update it and republish it, but have not found the time yet.
Maybe if I ever get to retire.

Jeff Shep
(Login jeffshep77)

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 12:52 PM 

Wondering if anyone recalls when John Neuner's wrapper collection sold in auction? I thought it was through Lelands in '99 but I've never seen a catalog. I'm sure a lot of it was bulked out.

Anonymous
(Login Steve_NY)

No score for this post
January 14 2017, 12:31 AM 

Well I never purchased a light bulb from John, but I do own one. It is actually the exterior of the empire state building light bulb which I believe he was responsible for changing. They are huge and are perfect for ash trays, not what I used it for. John gave me one after I successfully found him a number of tougher wrappers.

I also have one of the wrappers that was cut from the Mars Attacks sheet. At the time, I was selling them for $250 to $300, so $100 a piece was quite reasonable. And as stated they are quite perfect.

I may also have the distinction of buying one of John's last wrappers. A number of years ago, I jumped on an African Jig wrapper as a Buy It Now on eBay, and it turned out to be John Neuner who was selling it. He told me that he didn't think he had any more wrappers left at that time and that he found this one hidden in one of his files. It was a perfect copy which I had no problems selling because of its condition. I've only bought one more since.

Also, on tough non sports cards, has anyone mentioned the War News Pictures dirty dozen? They do turn up occasionally, and I do have a complete set, and probably 7 or 8 of them extra right now.

Some of you probably know that I started collecting unopened boxes of the original Wacky Packages cards, just to keep me interested in mounting an almost impossible task. In the course of one year, I have turned up complete boxes of series 6 to 15, and now only need series 1 to 5, and 16. Some of them I now have multiple boxes of and I was the high bidder on the 11th series box that turned up recently on eBay. If you come upon any in your travels, keep me in mind, but they must be original series only; also uncut sheets.

Steve

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
January 20 2017, 1:44 PM 

Speaking of wrappers, if anyone has one of these please drop me a line:

[linked image]
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Tough Cards/Wrappers

No score for this post
January 20 2017, 7:58 PM 

Great looking wrapper. I wish I had one. - Jack J.

Anonymous
(Login egbeachley)

No score for this post
January 20 2017, 11:23 PM 

My bad. I posted about cards on a wrapper thread.

Anonymous
(Login Steve_NY)

No score for this post
January 21 2017, 12:11 AM 

Not being an expert on Boxing cards and wrappers, isn't that a 1948 Leaf boxing wrapper? Are there different variations? I could always use one or more of them. How about an empty display box?

When you see me at a show, ask me to see some of my unusual boxing items -- they mostly never get into the showcases, as I usually try to highlight non sports and baseball. Sometimes I don't even take them with me when traveling light.

Best, Steve

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 6:26 PM 

1938 American Sweets (Manila).
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Jim McElroy
(Login ilrxman)

The Toughest Non Sports cards To Find

No score for this post
January 26 2017, 9:36 PM 

I complete SETS. I've done 10 to 15 Tobacco sets and "most" sets between 1930 and 1990. The toughest cards for me to find out of all are the 1965 Bettman Civil War cards (Especially the lower number cards. They're just NOT out there. Had little trouble with others, all available if you're willing to part with some cash. Jim M.

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
January 27 2017, 9:49 AM 

The rarest of Bettmans are the well cut ones.

Joe Marciano
(Login bvb5366)

The Toughest NS Cards to Find

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 2:45 PM 

It has been interesting to learn about all of these hard to find cards. But, as is often the case, the cards discussed are rather esoteric which is pretty much the reason why they are so difficult to find. Therefore, let me offer up a modern set that seems to be just as hard to find. I offer Topps 1957 Planes, blue series 2 cards. A few months ago I was reorganizing some off my sets when I discovered that I was missing 4 cards from the second series. The Allentown show was coming up and I figured that I would no problem finding them there. I first tried Todd and then went around the room to almost every other dealer. I met a lot of nice people who I had never spoken to before but I could not come up with even one of the four.

I placed a B/S/T ad here, figuring that someone in THIS group had to have some of the cards. No answers. I check ebay regularly but nothing there too. The Wrapper also has been a dud. What cards that are available are first series cards. How is it possible that these 1957 cards are so rare? Hey, the latest Wrapper even gave me a chance to pick up 6 Doeskin cards I needed and those sets are,with good reason, a real problem to complete. So I would add that 1957 Planes set to the toughest to find list.

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

Engrav-O-Tint pics For BoxingCardMan

No score for this post
March 15 2017, 5:54 PM 

I stumbled onto this thread via a different search so i thought i'd add these photos for those asking about these cards.

I have never seen a Lugosi or Karloff card from the Pat No. 1546553 Set but can definitely confirm the other 3 cards you were inquiring about.

I have two full 200 card sets of these weight machine cards and neither has the Lugosi or Karloff.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

regards,
Amit

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 15 2017, 6:46 PM 

Amit, those are some cool cards! You don't happen to have singles available from this series do you? I'm trying to fill in my set.

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

Peerless Set

No score for this post
March 15 2017, 9:45 PM 

Send me line to my inbox with the cards you need and i'll see what i have left from the first set i broke down.

I sent in about 30 cards to PSA grading which was a first for them from this set.

regards,
Amit

drillers at rogers dot com

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index