Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

NSB "K" Coffee Sets...Can you help out?

February 7 2017 at 10:01 AM
No score for this post
Chris Watson  (Login nscards)

Looking over various information that I've amassed over the last 5 years, it is become obvious that I need some assistance with either information or images associated with this topic. I hope collectors will find it in their hearts(and the time) to provide assistance. I suspect that this will be an ongoing list of requests, questions and postings, so have elected to post an ACC category, rather than anyone specific set. I'll gladly tag your name to any quality images that are used in future publications. Thanks in advance. Chris

Todd's site has an excellent illustration of the coffee version of this set....

AMERICAN NAVAL SHIPS

1898 - Dilworth Brothers 90 x 127 mm
U.S.A. 3K unnumbered cards
[linked image]
This is the only known coffee manufacturer-associated issue that utilizes the Koerner & Hayes artwork descibed in the subsequesnt stock card listing. Each concontains an unaltered front that depicts an identified naval vessel and a standardidized manufacturer advertisement, printed in black ink, on back. Set length remains unknown for this issue. (ACC# K###)

KNOWN CHECKLIST:
(1) U.S. Battleship “Massachussetts”
(2) U.S. Cruiser “Chicago”
(3) U.S. Cruiser “Newark”

REQUEST(S): Can somebody post a 300dpi scan of a back of one of these cards? Also, additions to checklist....and surely there are other coffee advertisers, which would make this a "coffee stock issue"...please assist!

This message has been edited by nscards on Feb 7, 2017 10:01 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chuck Millburn
(Login cemill)

Re: NSB &quot;K&quot; Coffee Sets...Can you help out?

No score for this post
February 7 2017, 12:26 PM 

Chris - sent image to non-sportsbible@comcast.net

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Thanks Chuck!
(Login nscards)

Re: NSB "K" Coffee Sets...Can you help out?

No score for this post
February 7 2017, 2:47 PM 

Chuck,

Thanks for the effort, but can I get you to send it to nscards@comcast.net

The non-sportsbible e-mail has been acting up, and I'm not able to download anything from it.

Thanks, Chris

Chris Watson
(Login nscards)

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 11:58 AM 

Here's a set that you don't see to often....

ANIMAL ALPHABETICAL BLOCK CARDS

1890s - E. Levering & Co. 54 x 80 mm
U.S.A. 26? unnumbered cards
[linked image]
These borderless cards depict a scene with an identified animal, the first letter of animal's name in a very large font, and identification of the coffee importer. Backs state “Educate Your Children” and describe how the card represents a copy of the company’s “Levering’s Animal Alphabetical Blocks” for which a complete set could be obtained by sending twelve cards, collected through purcahses of the coffee, to the company at the address shown. (ACC# K146)

KNOWN CHECKLIST:
(1) A - Antelope (Sable)
(2) E - Elephant
(3) G - Giraffe
(4) H - Hippopotamus
(5) J - Jaguar
(6) M - Moose
(7) Q - Quagga
(8) R - Rhinoceros
(9) U - Urva
(10) Y - Yak
(11) Z - Zebu

I would love to add to the checklist....I really wonder whether more than twelve different cards actually exist? Does anybody own one of the actual "blocks"....would be kind of cool to see an image of one...

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

"K" Coffee Sets

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 9:18 PM 

Chris - A long time ago I purchased a lot of six of these Levering Alphabet cards including H, J(2), M, N, and Y. Also with this lot was the advertising card shown. The binding on the left side appears to be paper and is glued to the card. I really can't tell you more than that. -Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Troy Kirk
(Login moviecard)

Seal

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 9:37 PM 

Here's my only Leverings card:

[linked image]

Ken Bush
(Login KenBush)

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 12:03 PM 

U. S. Battleship Indiana, Richelieu Coffee

Ken Bush

[linked image]
[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 3:36 PM 

Here are all I have..

[linked image]

Ernie Clarke
(Login oldErnie)

5 more Levering alphabet cards

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 4:20 PM 

The X card is an odd one as I guess nobody could find an animal to begin with X

[linked image]

Canby, Achs & Canby Co - American Naval Ships
(Login nscards)

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 10:13 PM 

Well you guys. The Levering's checklist is up to eighteen, and almost all of the "tough" letters (Q, X, Z) are already represented, so I'm guessing that this set likely does tool twenty-six...need eight more to prove it.

Todd you've presented a back that finally allows a card that I had always thought was a "one off" type to find a home. Looks as if this card should now be paid with the Koerner & Hayes "types", at least for the coffee stock issue. Anybody have any of the other Spanish-American War heroes in this format (this is the only card front that I have ever seen, although I understand that the artwork came from a booklet that contained similar portraits depicting others)...anybody?

[linked image]

Scott M
(Login phlflyer1)

Battleship Coffee

No score for this post
March 12 2017, 6:52 PM 

Hi Chris,

Sorry for not responding sooner but I just now saw this thread with your request.

Here is my lone example, rescued from an antique store in Western North Carolina and brought back up to the Philadelphia area.

[linked image]

[linked image]

I picked it up to go along with this larger cabinet sized card that I purchased on eBay several years back for my Croft & Allen collection.

[linked image]

[linked image]

The scans make the cards look the same size but the Coffee card is more the size of a post card while the Croft & Allen card is more the size of a cabinet card such as a T-3

Regards,

Scott

Chris Watson
(Login nscards)

No score for this post
March 23 2017, 9:51 AM 

Scott -

Awesome additions. Perhaps the Dewey and Sampson cards have their own set...

What is your last name Scott (so that I can credit you for the images in future publications), and if you live on the north side of town (I live in Ambler), we should get together some time...I literally haven't had a face-to-face trade in 20 years.

Chris

Scott Mosley
(Login phlflyer1)

No score for this post
March 24 2017, 4:33 PM 

Hi Chris,

I've put in my full name above. Thanks for the acknowledgement.

There is at least one other Admiral in the set of Coffee cards as there were two of these cards in the NC Antique Store that I mentioned. Sadly, I only purchased the Sampson because it matched the card I have from the Croft & Allen set shown above.

I was interested to note that your example only mentions Dayton, OH and does not mention Philadelphia, PA while mine does. I guess that the company must have expanded into the Philadelphia market at some point since it looks like they were based in Dayton.

I will have to go back to the same store and see if I can find the other card the next time I am down in NC visiting family. I would bet that its still there just waiting to be liberated.

Feel free to email me at phlflyer1 at gmail.com if you'd like to discuss further

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index