Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Tobacco leathers list

February 27 2017 at 12:24 PM
No score for this post
Paul  (Login gabatgh)
from IP address 98.235.113.197

Hey happy.gif

I'm looking through the forum and I'm seeing some old posts regarding these leathers.

Like this one
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/thread/1431567042

and this one
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/message/1207682698

Then I found this page,http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/leathers/go-L41-2D.html

What I cannot find is some sort of master list.

I came across four of them, and I'm trying to learn about them. I'd like to know when they're from, who made them, and what they're worth.

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

College Leathers

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 1:42 PM 

Looks like the USN one is L41-1 College Buildings with shields and the others are L41-2A. I've sold a few lately and if two people need them, they can be worth $20-$40 each....or more. Or if you have one that a lot of alumni might bid on. Otherwise, $15-$20 seems to be a realistic selling price. There are some out there for $30-$40-more but they don't turn over much. Great set.................
""

This message has been edited by autograf from IP address 153.2.246.35 on Feb 27, 2017 2:10 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Paul
(Login gabatgh)

Re: Tobacco leathers list

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 2:58 PM 

Thanks!

Athttp://www1.coe.neu.edu, either these are missing or the pic is wrong, so I am sent an email to danster-nj@comcast.net with a high resolution photo of each of these individually.

Gotta give back and contribute, right? :D

Paul
(Login gabatgh)

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 3:09 PM 

...what about age or manufacturer about these things? I still cannot locate any info about them.

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

They were...........

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 3:15 PM 

They were issued with Murad cigarettes for sure and possibly other brands........issued in paper envelopes which make great items to go with the leathers if you can find them. I have many of the leathers in smaller versions that have the original envelopes with them but not sure I have any of these with envelopes. Thanks for any additons you can do on the photos!
""

Bob Forbes
(Login forbesrs)

L41 leathers

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 7:30 PM 

The U.S.N. Academy is an L41-1, the others are L41-2A. They were issued circa 1912-14 in packages of Murad & probably other brands of cigarettes. They were originally enclosed in thin paper envelopes. Generally these sell between $10-20 each, sometimes a bit more or less. The leather to the right is "The Tower Dartmouth Coll." and is an addition to the existing L41-2A pictures in the gallery, the other three are already represented.

Bob Forbes
(Login forbesrs)

Manufacturer

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 11:46 PM 

Tobacco leathers were all distributed circa 1911-1915, with minimal exceptions. Depending on the date of issue, they were either distributed by the American Tobacco Company Trust or after early 1912 when the factories & brands were separated, by one of the successor companies (smaller-sized American Tobacco Co, P. Lorillard, Liggett & Myers). In this particular case, my best estimate is that they were issued by P. Lorillard shortly after the trust breakup as P. Lorillard ended up with the Murad brand.

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Here's........

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 2:20 PM 

I did have a leather with envelope from this series.................

[linked image]
""

Anonymous
(Login gabatgh)

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 4:06 PM 

with an envelope - nice!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index