Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Interesting Cartoon and Letter

March 1 2017 at 2:36 PM
No score for this post

autograp@gmail.com  (Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Let me preface this by saying I may have posted this before......but I "refound" it and it always gives me a chuckle.........

Around 2000-2001-2002, I bought a victorian scrap album that had about 700-800 cards in it. There were probably 100ish sports cards.....70+ Old Judges (skinned but not trimmed), 10 N162's Goodwins, 10-15 N284 Buchners, an N333 Newsboy card (skinned but not trimmed) and a bunch of mostly Kinney nonsports cards. I spent a fun weekend soaking them all out and ultimately got a few graded and sold most all of them. Wish I had some of the nonsports back though......

Anyway, the collection belonged to a Paul Quackenbush and there was a note on his company letterhead along with a cartoon cutout from a local paper from 1946 that shows a mother inspecting a child's pockets and looking for the actress cards in a young boy's pockets. The cartoon mentions Della Fox, Frankie Bailey, Lillian Russell and Fannie Ward. The note goes on to say that that cartoon reminds the author of why his tobacco card collection is missing any actresses. The scandalous real photo cards must have set more than a few people off during the day. Same as the tobacco advertising set a few people off enough to trim them off.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures.........

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by autograf on Mar 1, 2017 3:16 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Interesting Cartoon and Letter

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 3:07 PM 

Thanks, Tom, for sharing your letter and cartoon. I don't collect Tobacco Actress cards, but the reference makes me wonder if the cartoon refers to a specific set of cards. Is there a single set that has Frankie Bailey, Lillian Russell, Fannie Ward and Della Fox in tights? More than one set? - Jack J.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

I would assume........

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 3:18 PM 

I would assume it was Sweet Caporal set since there were multiple poses of many of those actresses in the day. Fannie Ward, Lillian Russell and Della Fox are in most every set of the day. Not sure about Bailey. I also added in the thread, pictures of the photocopies the guy sent me that I bought this from. Unfortunately, none of the nonsports and I wasn't smart enough to snap photos of the individual pages. This was pre-smartphone days when you had to use a REAL camera and not even a digital one I don't think.................

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

Re: Interesting Cartoon and Letter

No score for this post
March 3 2017, 6:33 AM 

The baseball side might be interested to see the ballcards. There was a thread earlier about whether the cards with large letters were cut from an advertising banner, and since you had so many from the same set in one collection with the large letters, it looks like that could be photographic evidence to support. Cool collection.

Joe G.
(Login Joe_G..)

No score for this post
April 22 2017, 1:28 AM 

Bumping an older post as I just now noticed it.

What a great scrapbook that was Tom! They used to be somewhat common, now very few surface. You should post this on the baseball side (if you haven't already), really neat original collection. FWIW, despite OJs being issued 1886-1890, everything shown in the scans date to 1888 & 1889. For those really into OJs, all the 1888s are Fb examples (no Fa) with no Western Association representation in 1888, but several in 1889.

The reason for my response is tied to the SF Hess Newsboy, would you by chance have any record of which player that might be? Appears to be a portrait of a Cleveland player, but doesn't match anyone I have cards or scans of.

Best Regards,
Joe G.

Autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Sure don't......

No score for this post
April 22 2017, 9:23 AM 

Sure don't Joe.....wish I had taken more time to document that album. Digital cameras were out and I had one but didn't really use it much on this album. Wish I had more details about the nonsports cards from it as well. No idea on the Newsboy but distinctly remember selling it to Ron Vitro, likely at one of the nationals 2002-2003 or so. I'll try to post over at the BB side sometime soon......

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
April 22 2017, 10:46 AM 

Joe,

I can't identify the N333 either, but am interested in the Hess sets and their checklists. Would you be willing to e-mail me to discuss? You should be able to click my name directly to e-mail me.

Thanks,

Daniel

This message has been edited by PancakeBunny on Apr 22, 2017 10:50 AM

Joe G.
(Login Joe_G..)

No score for this post
April 22 2017, 12:07 PM 

Daniel, clicking on your name launches mail but doesn't pre-populate with your email address. Would enjoy discussing the set with you. Feel free to write me at detroitwolverines@gmail.com

Best Regards,
Joe G.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index