Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

March Pick-Ups

March 4 2017 at 11:27 PM
No score for this post

Jack J.  (Login fallbrookjack)

Ok, I'll start the month with a few pick-ups.

I'm pleased to get my first "Jig Saw Nougat" card, even if it is a beater, so I'll show it big!

[linked image]

These Luer "Missle & Jet Plane" cards are neat, and the Carnation "Airplane Spotter" card was an extra in the lot.

[linked image] [linked image]

These last two American Fabrics Company "Rhyme Cards" were used to wrap with braids, edging, etc. from the AFC company. They are on heavy cardboard and are kinda interesting. - Jack J.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Larry
(Login luckylarry777)

Re: March Pick-Ups

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 6:18 AM 

Attended our monthly baseball card show here in Jacksonville yesterday. Fav dealer "Fred" told me he is giving up and retiring after next months show. Too bad as his table was always my first stop. So here is what I bought yesterday from Fred for eight bucks:

Two hits to my 1952 Bowman TV and Radio Stars (these have the horizontal backs) I have the '53 set and now need just seven more for the '52s. One hit to my 1965 Donruss "Freddie and the Dreamers" set thirteen cards to go. Two duplicates 1953 Topps "Who-Z-At Star" #1 card Brian Donlevy and #69 card featuring "The Nelsons" I try to pick up any #1s when I can, and I just felt kind of sorry for Ricky Nelson all beat up and stuff. Finally three duplicates 1951 Bowman "Red Menace" cards that I will mail off to a friend tomorrow. All three of the "Red Menace" cards have a star back stamped on the back.

photo Scan_41.jpeg

Then, with what I learned last week about the 1937 Gum Inc "Wild West" puzzle cards, here is an eBay purchase that arrived yesterday. Seller has these for $2.95 for a set of two reprints that were given away at a recent "Philly" show. Add $3.50 to mail them to me, I bought two sets of these cards and again the extra pair gets mailed off to a friend tomorrow.

photo Scan 1_27.jpeg

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 9:23 AM 

Tropical Fish from an unknown candy company.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Does the address ring a bell for anyone?

I'm a hopeless sucker for the Novelty Candy boxes

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by visionlure on Mar 5, 2017 9:30 AM

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 1:04 PM 

A couple for me so far this month.

photo Spangler Gum_zps36eqyhik.jpg

photo French Rayon_zps2hnpvsi8.jpg
These aren't exactly vintage, but they evoke vintage, and they're tough. I've seen their date of issue placed at 1985 (Todd's site), 1989 (Monsterwax), 1993 and 1995 (eBay listings). Does anyone know for sure? They were a promotional item from a paper sales company.

This message has been edited by a71678 on Mar 5, 2017 1:08 PM

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 6:28 PM 

Jim, you are the master of obscure. It's always amazing to see items that were meant to be pulled apart still in such great shape.

For my part this group of twelve Commando Rangers bring me up to 67. I need only three to finish. Hey Tom, feel like breaking up your set to sell me three? Ha!

[linked image]

If I can get two War News Pictures a month I'll finish my set (minus the last ten dirty dozen that I still need) by the end of the year! The Don't Let it Happen Over Here was from a PWCC auction. The serial number puts it in the same submission with another SGC card that I have from the same set. For some reason I like it when this happens. If I can pick up two IG a month for my set I'll be done in twenty years! The Novel Package Indian is the -EXCIT variety and leaves me needing five for the master set.

[linked image]

I'm not a big 50s guy, nor am I a big bread guy, but I do love the Tip Top Bread cards: space and sports cars. I paid $0.75 for this one; sweet! World War Gum and American Beauties are slow and steady set building while the War Gum are upgrades for two from my set that had wrinkles.

[linked image]

This last one was a really nice card for a very fair price. It's an R189 Gum Inc. Tintype Cartoon. Happy to have one even if it means I'll spend the rest of my life looking for the rest of the set. I wonder how many of these are in the hands of post card collectors?

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login rhettmyeakley)

No score for this post
March 7 2017, 11:14 PM 

Some early March/Late February pickups...

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login rhettmyeakley)

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 1:52 AM 

Forgot one more...
I had never owned an example of the tough to find D66 Lindquist's Carton Crackers cards, I found one while at the Portland Antique show this past weekend, along with an early Arcade/Exhibit-like card featuring Lillian Russell. Also picked up the S100 and Space Coins (above) at the show.

[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 6:32 AM 

Neat stuff Rhett! Can you post the back of the cracker card?

MARTIN
(Login 030190)

JACK JANSEN

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 7:23 AM 

Hello Jack:

I have been trying to email you but a message keeps coming back that your mailbox is FULL..as follows:

Error Icon
Recipient inbox full
Your message couldn't be delivered to theeticket@earthlink.net. Their inbox is full, or it's getting too much mail right now.

cliff
(Login Marslife)

March Pickups

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 10:54 AM 

hey all!

picked up an N88 lot to get a few more off my checklist:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Marslife on Mar 8, 2017 10:54 AM

Anonymous
(Login rhettmyeakley)

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 12:23 PM 

Todd, it has a pretty nondescript Postcard back but it does appear to be a pretty early issue as the back is for the address only, overall it is roughly the size of the E257 Hershey's Views postcards.

-Just measured and it is 2 5/8" x 5 3/8"

[linked image]

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 12:31 PM 

[linked image]
Maybe Troy knows an anonymous set with Carole spelled incorrectly.

This message has been edited by visionlure on Mar 8, 2017 1:40 PM

Artem Kalinin
(Login chewwrapper)

No score for this post
March 9 2017, 1:59 AM 

Well, I will try to be inside the "pre-1980" borders, even though it`s quite hard for me)))
Those, I`m sure, are well-known for all of you and all collected. But I like them anyway))
Some went to upgrade my sets and some to trade....
[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 9 2017, 8:10 AM 

Artem, I too like those wrappers!

A few weekend pickups for me...

[linked image]

I think the cars are a Cracker Jack issue, however I can't find out any info on them.
[linked image]

Other pickups..

[linked image]

This was an odd one. This was supposed to be a complete set of 40 (they all say "Collect All 40") plus an intro bulletin.
However, after sorting them I have 41 diff + intro. What the heck!!!
[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 9 2017, 12:33 PM 

These "zoomed" into my mailbox today. I guess it's been a "plane" week for me so far...

[linked image]

Troy Kirk
(Login moviecard)

No score for this post
March 9 2017, 6:33 PM 

Great stuff from everyone this month again, this thread is always fun to look at. Jim, your Baby Ruth card is great, I don't remember ever seeing one of those before.

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
March 9 2017, 8:19 PM 

Artem,

Nice pickups on the Sugarless Gum Star Wars photos. Yours look to be unused/unfolded. There was a superb article in The Wrapper issue 298 on this set which was pretty comprehensive. Check it out!

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

March Pick-ups

No score for this post
March 9 2017, 8:47 PM 

A nice group of Holsum Bread Movie Picture Stars.

[linked image]

My first group of Bazooka Famous American Heroes stamps.

[linked image]

And finally a "goes with" 1928 cancelled check from the Walter M. Lowney Company. I like to think maybe they were cranking out "Just Kids" cards when this was written. - Jack J.

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

March Pick-ups

No score for this post
March 10 2017, 3:21 PM 

I'm curious about these cards. I know Middy Bread made some die-cut baseball player cards, but I can't find anything about these movie star cards. The child who wrote the name on the back didn't have Google to help her figure out who the actress was. With some help, she is Louise "Fazenda" not "Eazaida". I've included the General Gum card for size comparison. - Jack J.

Chris Watson
(Login nscards)

Middy Bread Actors

No score for this post
March 12 2017, 8:18 AM 

Jack,

I know you've posted the General Gum card for comparison, but could you also post (or send me) the exact dimensions of those cool Middy Bread Actors cards (preferably in mm). That's an easy set to date due to Aileen Lopez' limited film career! Can anyone confirm the name of the St. Louis-area bakery...was it "Middy Bakery"? (I can only find Middy Bread)

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index