Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

WOW and LI Automotive Museum

March 5 2017 at 6:52 PM
No score for this post
Bill Bengen  (Login billbengen)

Hi all,

One of my favorite card series is the 1953-54 Topps "World On Wheels". I have know for years that the images of many of the antique autos in this series were photographs made at the Long Island Automotive Museum, which opened in 1948. The Museum even has its own card in the series, #49, the only non-vehicle card in the series, and probably the most difficult to get in high grade (nothing above an 8 has been recorded at PSA). Even though I lived on Long Island for many years, I was not aware of the Museum until after it closed, in 1980. This was a lost opportunity to see, in the flesh, the cars from WOW. I could kick myself.

About a week ago I cam across a listing on ebay for a 40-card set issued by the Long Island Automotive Museum. The cards bear photographic images, primarily in color, of antique autos that had been on display at the Museum. I hadn't known that such a set even existed. I was successful in acquiring the set, and it arrived yesterday. very nice condition, indeed! I spent a pleasant hour matching up images from the LIAM and WOW sets.

I have been able to identify ten cards from both sets which clearly identify the same vehicles. This wasn't that tough, as WOW gives explicit credit to the LIAM for the images! Below are a few examples:

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I just thought it was neat to discover something new related to WOW after more than 60 years.

Best in collecting,

Bill Bengen

This message has been edited by billbengen on Mar 5, 2017 6:56 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

Re: WOW and LI Automotive Museum

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 8:01 PM 

Bill - the American Heritage set artwork was also used in Australia, but I don't remember if it was Sanitarium or Scanlans. I think Sanitarium, but not sure. Same postcard size set.

Jon.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Bill Bengen
(Login billbengen)

American Heritage

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 9:16 PM 

Hi Jon,

I am a little slow today. I did not understand your reference to American Heritage artwork, please explain.

Thanks, Bill Bengen

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 6 2017, 6:55 AM 

Bill,
Jon's reference was to who made your set. It was a boxed set by "American Heritage". Here is the box...

[linked image]

Bill Bengen
(Login billbengen)

Aha!

No score for this post
March 6 2017, 10:40 AM 

Thanks, Todd, for the clarification. There is no reference to American Heritage or Milton Bradley on the cards, so I didn't have a clue. I just assumed that LIAM produced the set for sale in its gift shop. Do you know what year the set was produced?

Best in collecting,

Bill Bengen

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 6 2017, 1:27 PM 

Bill,
They made 4 similar sets in 1961. In addition to the Automobiles they also did...

Airplanes..
[linked image] [linked image]

Steamships..

Trains..

Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

No score for this post
March 6 2017, 4:29 PM 

Sorry Bill - I just (wrongly) assumed you had purchased one of the boxed sets off of Ebay. They are one of the more common older USA-produced car sets.

EDIT: If you are looking for more on LIAM, memory (fuzzy) says that many of the cars pictured in the early Automobile Quarterly magazines were from LIAM. If you are unfamiliar with the title, Automobile Quarterly was a hard-cover, slick paper, quality magazine (book, actually) that refused advertising. As such, they were QUITE expensive when issued.

Jon.

This message has been edited by carbking on Mar 6, 2017 4:32 PM

Bill
(Login billbengen)

Thanks!

No score for this post
March 7 2017, 11:37 AM 

Todd and John, thanks for your help in this matter, I learned something new and interesting.

Best in collecting, Bill Bengen

Anonymous
(Login dsh46)

No score for this post
March 7 2017, 6:29 PM 

If you are ever in Miami, this guy has a lot of old cars on display, he even bought a cherry AMC Pacer from a guy I went to high school with:

http://www.dezercollection.com/

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index