Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Topps Round Ups Short Prints

March 8 2017 at 9:46 AM
Amit Benyovits  (Login docsdrillers)

Does anyone have a list of the cards that are short printed in this set.
thanks,
Amit

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alan Miley
(Login alanmiley)

NSB

March 8 2017, 10:16 AM 

There is a list in the NSB. #58 is the very toughest.

Anonymous
(Login PSUinCT)

My humble opinion

March 8 2017, 11:42 AM 

Just because the card was short printed doesn't necessarily mean it's the toughest card in the set.
My "non fictional" reference guide for determining the toughest cards in a set is to reference the Psa Pop report.
Here is a link to the Psa pop report for the 1956 Round Up Set.

http://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-cards/1956/round-up/44730

: )

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

Pop report

March 8 2017, 11:45 AM 

That's a factor with respect to looking for centered cards but a separate issue from Short Prints.

Amit

ps Why does PSA have each card in the set composition as 1.0 if there are known Short Prints.

Mark -UK
(Login kurlywurly)

Re: Topps Round Ups Short Prints

March 8 2017, 1:16 PM 

When i was compiling my set I was in contact with a well respected collector ( waves out to the sunshine state of Ca ) who was kind enough to dig out past research into the alleged short prints from this set . I believe i have the info stored in my e-mails , if so i will dig them out and post here .
I'm holed up in a hotel on ghe way to see Count Arthur Strong and will delve deeper when i return to home .
The search feature might pull up some old threads that covers similar ground .

Hello Mr.Lemon .

: )

Bill Bengen
(Login billbengen)

Round-Up tough cards

March 8 2017, 3:11 PM 

Hi,

As usual, "The Wrapper" is an excellent source of material on this topic. Dave Owen wrote an excellent series of articles on Round-Up in issues #164, 165 and #168 which discuss the tough cards in detail. You may wish to contact Les Davis to get a reprint of those articles.

Best in collecting,

Bill Bengen

Alan Miley
(Login alanmiley)

Two points

March 8 2017, 4:04 PM 

1) The NSB list is taken from the Owens articles.

2) Grading Pop Report may reflect the availability of graded cards, but not cards in general. Cards which are more expensive, perhaps for reasons of scarcity, perhaps for star appeal, etc. may be more commonly graded. We had a discussion before where someone argued that Horrors of War high numbers were common compared to the lows because so many were graded. For another example, consider also 3 Stooges numbers 1, 2, and 3 - these have the highest pops by far, but I doubt many wouyld argue they are far more common than other cards in the set.

Edited to add:
2.5) As far as I can recall, I have known five cases where one card was needed to complete a set and in 3 of them, it was card #58.

This message has been edited by alanmiley on Mar 8, 2017 4:08 PM

Dave H0rnish
(Login dsh46)

March 8 2017, 5:25 PM 

Well they probably printed the set on two half sheets of 110 each so really there would be 60 overprints as arrayed, although I guess that's also 20 SP's. What happened after that, who knows? NSB list looks like it could be based on one 110 card half sheet.

This message has been edited by dsh46 on Mar 8, 2017 5:28 PM

Alan Miley
(Login alanmiley)

sheet composition

March 8 2017, 6:08 PM 

Interesting. Do we know what they did re consistent sheets with other 80-card sets (e.g., Davy Crockett?)

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

March 8 2017, 6:38 PM 

There was a fantastic article in The Wrapper issue 302 that detailed the 1956 Topps Flags uncut sheet and which numbers are short printed. I believe that PSA updated their card weightings as a result of it.

Good stuff!

This message has been edited by PancakeBunny on Mar 9, 2017 8:11 PM

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

March 8 2017, 7:00 PM 

Dave,
Why do you think Topps always produced multiple sheets for a set? The fact that there are so many instances of people needing the same cards and then uncut sheets turn up to confirm the shortprint/overprint cards would tend to make one think they did not. Where is the incentive for them to do multiple sheets? Especially re-configuring them to make sure that the numbers were more evenly distributed. That would be a big cost increase for them - multiple sheets, multiple color separations, multiple plates, multiple set ups of the presses. What do they benefit from doing this? Feeling more moral about it? Card producers do cards to make money. You would think that keeping costs down would be a priority not feeling better about taking a few extra pennies from kids.

Joe Marciano
(Login bvb5366)

Topps Round Up cards

March 8 2017, 7:43 PM 

I have really good reason to think that these cards were printed in sheets of 50. Just saying.

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

Great Info..Thanks.

March 8 2017, 7:49 PM 

According to the NSB Chris drew his conclusions based on a one sheet of 110.

Having not seen an uncut sheet i can't answer which cards are tough based on centering which i assume has to do with their location on the sheet...

Amit

bill christensen
(Login willhc)

Round Up short prints

March 8 2017, 8:17 PM 

A number of years ago, I wrote about the 20 short prints on Round Ups. My information was based on two different uncut sheets, one owned by a Wrapper advertiser and the second was offered on eBay. In both cases, the same twenty cards were short printed. The uncut sheet owned by the advertiser is the more common (if there is a sheet that is more common) than the sheet offered online. I labeled each row 'a' 'b' 'c' etc. and row 'h' was the row that included card #58. I've only seen the eBay offered sheet that one time and I did not scan it. Off hand, I cannot remember if #58 is on the top or the bottom of the row.
Wave back to the guy from Wales.

Joe Marciano
(Login bvb5366)

Roundup

March 8 2017, 8:30 PM 

On a sheet of 50 cards #58, "The Blast" is the 4th card from the left in the second row.

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

Do you have that list of 20 cards?

March 8 2017, 8:32 PM 

Bill
By any chance did you keep that list of 20 short printed cards?
Amit

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

March 8 2017, 8:42 PM 

"ps Why does PSA have each card in the set composition as 1.0 if there are known Short Prints."

PSA will create weightings if one of the collectors doing the set requests it. PSA will normally ask some of the major collectors of the set to create the weightings, and then have the rest of the set collectors vote on it. If no one requested to add weightings, no reason for them to do extra work.

bill c
(Login willhc)

Round Up short prints

March 8 2017, 9:36 PM 

Amit, right now I'm only finding ten 'sp' from row 'H' They are 6,8,9,10,15,46,58,65,70 & 74. Will try to find the other ten this weekend when time permits.

Mark - UK
(Login kurlywurly)

March 9 2017, 7:31 AM 

I have vague memories of problems in picking up card numbers 3 ; 8 ; 9 in an acceptable condition (sharp corners & clean) .
This could well have something to do with what the market was offering at the time .

Mark - UK
(Login kurlywurly)

March 9 2017, 11:06 AM 

a long time since I've uploaded a picture , hope the size etc turns out OK .

Many thanks to Bill C for the work/image ( Bill it goes back to 2009 - time like water thru a sieve)

Hope this helps now and in the future

[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index